Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I think the landscape should have been to look more populated once they reach Rohan (at least the valley near Helm's Deep, it's supposed to be full of farms) and especially Minas Tirith. Might even have made for strong imagery, showing all the orcs burning everything around the Hornburg and Minas Tirith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Lorien was probably my biggest gripe. I don't mind the design that Jackson & co came up with, but the way Tolkien describes the city and its occupants, I expected something very different.

I'd also pictured Bree as a small village rather than the densely packed down we got. Though I understand why they designed it that way!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kassad posted:

I think the landscape should have been to look more populated once they reach Rohan (at least the valley near Helm's Deep, it's supposed to be full of farms) and especially Minas Tirith. Might even have made for strong imagery, showing all the orcs burning everything around the Hornburg and Minas Tirith.

I wanted to see some oasts and garners, folds and byres, ricks, cots, and trees :colbert:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

webmeister posted:

I'd also pictured Bree as a small village rather than the densely packed down we got. Though I understand why they designed it that way!

Bree is a walled town in the books on an important-ish cross roads and those tend to be densely packed by nature. Only so much room inside the walls, you know? And everyone wants to be inside the walls. So, the Bree depicted in the movies is pretty close to what I had imagined.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I gotta say I'm not even mad about having seen the movies first because their version of Orthanc is a million times better than anything I would have come up with.

I think we've talked about it in this thread in the past, but how many of you have played Lord of the Rings Online? I'd be curious to see what you guys think of those depictions of Middle-Earth as well.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Radio! posted:

I gotta say I'm not even mad about having seen the movies first because their version of Orthanc is a million times better than anything I would have come up with.

I think we've talked about it in this thread in the past, but how many of you have played Lord of the Rings Online? I'd be curious to see what you guys think of those depictions of Middle-Earth as well.

I played LOTRO quite a bit and I thought its depictions were pretty good. I enjoyed just wandering around quite a bit. I never played anything past Rivendell though.

I also read LOTR way before the movies - originally in junior high school in the early 90's. Overall I liked the movies, although I remember reading one time that someone thought they did too many sweeping far-off helicopter camera shots which remove you from the viewpoint of the Fellowship. I kind of agreed with that, it would have been better to see everything from a person's point of view, like when Aragorn tells the hobbits about Weathertop as they're walking up to it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MadDogMike posted:

More to the point, Tolkien was in WORLD WAR I, pretty sure if that doesn't make you "qualified" to write about battle nothing does.

I would just like to point out that this is not a very good argument because he was a signals officer. He did go into the trenches with his men and was present on the multiple occasions when his battalion was ordered to attack something, but his job was to sit in a dugout and send and receive messages. Never went over the top, never had to repel an enemy attack, never saw a German except as prisoners, never fired his weapon in anger.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trin Tragula posted:

I would just like to point out that this is not a very good argument because he was a signals officer. He did go into the trenches with his men and was present on the multiple occasions when his battalion was ordered to attack something, but his job was to sit in a dugout and send and receive messages. Never went over the top, never had to repel an enemy attack, never saw a German except as prisoners, never fired his weapon in anger.

Yeah. But by the same token being the guy who fires his weapon all the time doesn't make one a tactical or strategic master.

I mean, I guess I should get clarification on whether the guy in question was saying that Jordan's military experience makes him better able to create plausible battle tactics, or whether he was saying it makes him better able to convey the feeling of being in the midst of action. But in either case I can probably name better examples of the craft. (I don't think it was the former, though. One battle in WoT is basically just a quotation of Hannibal at Cannae, and all that proves is that the author is a History Channel nerd.)

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The mumakil were awesome. I just thought they were war elephants but never thought to make them giant elephant AT-ATs.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Tolkien isn't trying to evoke realistic warfare half the time though. Middle-Earth is fundamentally a heroic setting about individuals carving their names into legend. Sure, there are moments where the traumatic images of war are represented well (i.e The Dead Marshes, the PTSD that Frodo suffers). But on the flip-side you've got Legolas and Gimli chuckling about the dozens of Uruks they've gutted while the battle's still going on. That variety contributes to the work instead of detracting imo.

And if realism means you can't shoot down a pteranodon from two miles away with one bow-shot at night, realism can stay the hell out :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, totally; and as I said earlier, people read for different reasons. If what you want is T&A, you're not going to get much of that in Tolkien either, and there's plenty of other places to get your fill (and if you settle on Jordan it doesn't necessarily mean you're into spankings, but it sure makes me suspect it :v: ).

I doubt anyone contemporaneous would have thought to fault a swords-and-sorcery epic for not feeling enough like a realistic battlefield journal, but goalposts move over time too. And for my money what I enjoy is the history and the linguistic landscape, which I know isn't most people's cup of tea, popular though LotR is for plenty of other reasons.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
To get back to visual gripes for a second: one of the nerdier ones I have is whenever characters are depicted in plate armor. Lord of the Rings borrows a lot from Northern European and Arthurian mythology, where the armor situation was universally variations on chainmail. So hauberks, byrnies, coats and shirts of mail, etc. That's carried over very well into how the books describe armor; there's hardly a cuirass or vambrace in sight.

Obviously that's limiting for an artist. Adding plate or scale into the mix lends visual variety, and can make silhouettes that communicate more information about a character. It opens up expressive designs like Sauron's or the Uruks' that we get in the movies. So I understand why they'd make the change.

It's just, you know, that puts LOTR one step closer to the fantasy genre at large :v:. Anyways, the one depiction I know of that keeps Tolkien's "rule" here is The One Ring RPG (which is excellent for a whole host of reasons). It's...authentic, in a way that's minor but which I still really appreciate.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Yeah. But by the same token being the guy who fires his weapon all the time doesn't make one a tactical or strategic master.

I mean, I guess I should get clarification on whether the guy in question was saying that Jordan's military experience makes him better able to create plausible battle tactics, or whether he was saying it makes him better able to convey the feeling of being in the midst of action. But in either case I can probably name better examples of the craft. (I don't think it was the former, though. One battle in WoT is basically just a quotation of Hannibal at Cannae, and all that proves is that the author is a History Channel nerd.)

Glen Cook was a forward observer in Vietnam and I think that very much shows through in his depictions of battles both large and small scale and the interactions between soldiers in the middle of it.

Even though he is writing mostly fantasy battles with swords and sorcery it still feels right.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bendigeidfran posted:

So to folks who read LOTR before watching the movies: what looked different from how you imagined them? Whether that be the clothes, the landscape, how scary the orcs were, the Golden Hall in Edoras, etc.

Elves weren't well hung at all in the movies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trin Tragula posted:

Probably why he had both hands to write with, then. Even if he'd been a REMF completely he'd have still lost his pals.

I can't really comment on the visuals from the films, but I'd say that Moria was greatly improved in my head by the film version, while most of the rest was pretty indifferent. It's still a shame we didn't get Bowie as Elrond, though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not that I can imagine even him being much better than Weaving.

I took part in any number of "what would your dream LOTR cast be?" discussions on Usenet back in the 90s (you know, the obvious "Sean Connery as Gandalf lol" stuff), and while the films turned out to have a lot of people I'd never otherwise heard of or wouldn't otherwise have considered, they sure turned out to be inspired choices by and large.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Has anyone done an estimation of the size of ME based on the traveling times in LotR extrapolated from Tolkein's maps? I always get the impression that ME is pretty small. Can anyone give an estimate of distances? Angland to Ormal can't be greater than 1,000 miles. That sounds a fair size but isn't the idea that ME is the entire landmass of the world?

http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/A_Map_of_Middle-earth_and_the_Undying_Lands_color.jpeg

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
ME is just Europe, man. The other continents still exist.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 8, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

End Of Worlds posted:

ME is just Europe, man. The other continents still exist.

Oh, ok. I guess I haven't read enough non-LotR Tolkein to get that.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Oh, ok. I guess I haven't read enough non-LotR Tolkein to get that.

It makes more sense when you see it overlaid:

The Shire is in the West Midlands.

e: and in the prologue he writes 'The Third Age of Middle-earth [is] now long past, and the shape of all lands has been changed'

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 8, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Ok. So Shire to Mount Doom is West Midlands to Sicily. That is about what I figured. Thanks. :)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
The Atlas of Middle Earth actually has day by day estimates of the entire journey. I'll have to dig out my copy to see exactly what the author thinks the actual size is. IIRC the author is a cartographer.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Interrupting distance-chat to post this because holy poo poo.

Warning: extremely NSFW (dildos). You'll see why I linked it here starting on page 4.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785918&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Radio! posted:

Interrupting distance-chat to post this because holy poo poo.

Warning: extremely NSFW (dildos). You'll see why I linked it here starting on page 4.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785918&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I believe this is the post Radio is referencing, if anyone cares to review it without having to plow through a few pages of dildo chat:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785918&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post463511251

eta: God help me

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 9, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That post resulted in a rainbow elf dildo with acorn nuts, by the way.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Regarding the battle stuff, I feel like Aragorn et al's battle scenes represent the heroic saga-ish ideal of combat, while Sam & Frodo's agonising plod through the hostile hellscape of Mordor represents the actuality of fighting in WW1.
As for the visuals, my only gripe is, as others have noted, the lack of agriculture in Gondor. Moria, Minas Tirith, Barad Dur etc are all just magnificent.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Trin Tragula posted:

On the other hand he lost a lot of friends who did do those things, I'm guessing even in the trenches he saw more dead people than most of us hopefully will, and one of the things limiting his service was getting really ill if memory serves. I'm willing to give him partial credit at least.

As for things looking like you expected, the one version of illustrated LOTR that I have was done by Alan Lee, so somewhat fewer surprises for me honestly;).

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the elf vagoo post is an outstanding work of scholarship and merits publication in a peer-reviewed journal

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

End Of Worlds posted:

the elf vagoo post is an outstanding work of scholarship and merits publication in a peer-reviewed journal
That is elise. She is amazing. Go read her ICU nurse blog. I think she's actually writing a book.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If that post isn't gold mined we shouldn't have a gold mine at all.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
"Hey, the Tolkien thread is aware of your puntl post and still respects you!"

"THERE'S A TOLKIEN THREAD???"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Elise I read and enjoyed your posts in the health horror stories thread (at least that's what I think it was) please never stop writing, even if your eventual book is about elf dongs I'll read it all

Also that's not how you use begs the question

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

elise the great posted:

"Hey, the Tolkien thread is aware of your puntl post and still respects you!"

"THERE'S A TOLKIEN THREAD???"

add some citations to that post and submit it to the Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts

it's interdisciplinary, humanities scholars love that poo poo

e: i'm actually semi-serious. if nothing else, it would be worth it just to receive a rejection letter from the journal in which someone with a PhD is forced to lay out, point by point, why they have chosen not to publish your article on the physiology of elven vaginas. also, i guarantee that thing would get forwarded between academic medievalists under the table for the rest of time.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 9, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This thread welcomes you, elise

:neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard:

You bow to no one

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Data Graham posted:

This thread welcomes you, elise

:neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard:

You bow to no one

Now tell us your thoughts on a Game of Thrones-like Silmarillion series full of elf-on-elf incest.

Elfcest?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Whoa mate Turambar and nienor niniel were human

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

my dad posted:

That post resulted in a rainbow elf dildo with acorn nuts, by the way.

god bless america

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Honestly the real question now is half-elves: does their junk change if they choose the doom of Man.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

euphronius posted:

Whoa mate Turambar and nienor niniel were human

Don't be one of those grogs who's always complaining when the new version drifts a little from the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Ffff come on guys, incest is canon. Like... boring levels of canon.

Seriously you guys have no idea how many dumb loving hypotheses and historiographical analyses are constantly rattling around in my head about the Tolkien legendarium. Sadly I am forced to keep them to myself because people either a) don't care or b) are genuine Tolkien Scholars who froth at the lips whenever I start talking.

There's another option but it's even worse: c) they really liked the Hobbit movies.

About a year ago I got thrown out of a pub for fighting with the loremaster for Shadows of Mordor, who I met through a mutual friend, about the nature and function of the Eagles. I am THE WORST FAN but either way I'm gonna backread this thread from the beginning before I start gargling my own trash theories where humans can see.