Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tide posted:

So, if one were to be in the market for the apple watch: for the next couple or three years, is the new series 2 or whatever they are calling it worth the premium over the current version if you have no need for the gps or waterproofing?

I don't think the series 2 is worth it at all unless you swim a lot or want to track runs without the phone.

They've also upgraded the series 1 Apple Watch so it's still better than the original with a faster processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The built in GPS would be good for me on the golf course so I can leave my phone in my bag.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
The only thing that's keeping my phone with me is Spotify. If they can figure out how to store it locally on the watch, I'd be set. Until that happens, I have no need for a standalone GPS watch, though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

chupacabraTERROR posted:

The only thing that's keeping my phone with me is Spotify. If they can figure out how to store it locally on the watch, I'd be set. Until that happens, I have no need for a standalone GPS watch, though.

I got fed up with Spotify draining my battery and it's lovely buggy interface and switched to apple music and I have to say, using the music.app thingy on the watch is really nice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I was hoping for day one availability but I'll settle for preordering on Friday and picking up on the 16th. Definitely going in on the 42mm S2 base model and I was prepared to spend $600CDN so I guess I'm happy.

I really really really wish I didn't want the new waterproofing or GPS because then I would go for the S1 in a heartbeat.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

LmaoTheKid posted:

I got fed up with Spotify draining my battery and it's lovely buggy interface and switched to apple music and I have to say, using the music.app thingy on the watch is really nice.

I did a trial for Apple Music and I did enjoy how seamless it was within iOS. I can't say I loved the interface, though that seems to be improved in iOS 10. I ended up switching because I love Spotify's playlists, an area that Apple Music was severely lacking back at launch. I'm the kind of person who needs help finding things to listen to, I don't really make my own playlists. I wish Apple Music did that a little bit better.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I actually like Apple's playlists better especially since I can follow publishers like Resident Advisor who have some good ones. They also just added their equivalent of the "discover weekly" playlist which works just as well for me so I think I'm done with Spotify for good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They just added a new mix every Friday (or Saturday?) of new music based on the stuff you've liked. They playlists are a little better organized and slightly less repetitive.

It still has a lot of work to be great, but I'm enjoying the new changes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
New features do sound nice, but I am not regretting getting a used 42 watch for 200 at the start of the year. It been a really useful device at work so I will continue using it until it breaks and get whatever model is out then. Still find it hilarious shortly after I got one at work my boss ended buying one for himself for Father's Day present from his kid.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I'm sort of glad Spotify isn't properly integrated with the watch otherwise I would probably justify to myself why I should buy one. GPS whilst running without a phone sounds pretty good but £400 is a lot to me for that luxury.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Interestingly, Apple has nixed basically all of their high-end Edition watches (you can't find them on the website). All that's left is the new Series 2 Edition in white ceramic (which looks quite nice). I think it's a good refocus; luxury watches and technology just don't merge well.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Checking Apple's website, I noticed some more differences between series 1 and 2. The series 2 has a ceramic backside (even for the aluminum body). I guess ceramic is colder and more comfortable maybe?
It also comes with an adapter: series 1 doesn't. Kinda weird right? Did gen1 come with an adapter?
Also, the series 2 processor is called S2 while the series 1 is called S1P. I hope that doesn't mean anything...

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm torn. Swim resistant is useless to me. GPS kinda is too, but it is appealing to not have to worry about bringing my phone. And the brighter display sounds great.

So you gen1 people, you ever get trouble reading the screen in the sunlight? How comfortable is the back of the watch on warm (or cold) days?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I live in the hot rear end Central Valley, CA and I've never had trouble reading the display on the lowest brightness setting and with sunglasses on. The 42mm with sport band is also the most comfortable watch I've ever worn.

I really think the series 1 or discounted first run Apple Watches are a much better value. I probably won't update mine until they introduce more health sensors.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to bite the bullet, upgrade my original Apple Watch and give my Apple Watch to my wife. I use the watch enough that it'll be worth it.

I can't determine if the Nike bands are ugly or not ugly. My choice is between that or another black watch band. I have a few other bands, but I get them offline to avoid the Apple premium.

I wish it had its own cell chip though. I honestly wouldn't use it often, but it would be nice in a pinch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LPG Giant posted:

Checking Apple's website, I noticed some more differences between series 1 and 2. The series 2 has a ceramic backside (even for the aluminum body). I guess ceramic is colder and more comfortable maybe?
It also comes with an adapter: series 1 doesn't. Kinda weird right? Did gen1 come with an adapter?
Also, the series 2 processor is called S2 while the series 1 is called S1P. I hope that doesn't mean anything...
The SoC packages are called S1P and S2. The processors are the same, but not the full SoC. If absolutely nothing else the S2 has GPS while the S1P does not. I imagine that S1P is literally just the S1 with the S2's dual-core CPU plugged in.

Duckman2008 posted:

I can't determine if the Nike bands are ugly or not ugly. My choice is between that or another black watch band. I have a few other bands, but I get them offline to avoid the Apple premium.
They're ugly, though I'd have rather had the gray/white one than the plain white band I got with my Watch (I wanted silver aluminum).

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Any good recommendations for third -party bands? Looking for a black metal link band to go with my Sport 42mm.

This Manowear one seems to have good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Monowear-Metal-Space-Apple-Watch/dp/B00WGQRCUM

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

LPG Giant posted:

My guess (and this is purely conjecture), is they just see it as a higher quality material. Many high end Swiss watches use ceramic in the bezel. I've never seen it in the body, but if it's on the front face of a Rolex sure why not?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

My guess (and this is purely conjecture), is they just see it as a higher quality material. Many high end Swiss watches use ceramic in the bezel. I've never seen it in the body, but if it's on the front face of a Rolex sure why not?

Omega has made full ceramic watches for a few years now, and Rado since the late 80s early 90s. It's hard, and won't scratch easily, but it's brittle, and will shatter much easier if dropped. Pick your poison.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can anyone tell me the build number for the watchOS 3 GM?

EDIT: Thanks!

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 8, 2016

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Finally, the Actual Apple Watch has come. Very ready for this!!!!!!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can anyone tell me the build number for the watchOS 3 GM?

3.0 (14S326)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LPG Giant posted:

So you gen1 people, you ever get trouble reading the screen in the sunlight? How comfortable is the back of the watch on warm (or cold) days?
No, and never noticed it to be uncomfortable. Feels a little odd when you sweat heavily but I imagine all watches would.

The first watch came with a 5W adapter and 2m charging cord in the box.

The ceramic back part seems odd, since either I'm blind (not unlikely) or the shell is one piece. Unless by "back" they mean the circle part with the HR sensors.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No, and never noticed it to be uncomfortable. Feels a little odd when you sweat heavily but I imagine all watches would.

The first watch came with a 5W adapter and 2m charging cord in the box.

The ceramic back part seems odd, since either I'm blind (not unlikely) or the shell is one piece. Unless by "back" they mean the circle part with the HR sensors.
Yeah the ceramic back is the HR/dome part, I think it was plastic on the old aluminum models. If it's still plastic for "series 1" I'd guess it's there across the series 2 line as another fancier sounding thing to justify the higher price tag.

Oh yeah re: screen, more nits would be nice. Not necessary but definitely would be helpful on bright days outside.

japtor fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 8, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

japtor posted:

Yeah the ceramic back is the HR/dome part, I think it was plastic on the old aluminum models. If it's still plastic for "series 1" I'd guess it's there across the series 2 line as another fancier sounding thing to justify the higher price tag.

The original Sport has a composite back (I don't care to look up what that is specifically, but it's not just plastic) while the Watch and Edition have the ceramic back the Series 2 has.

And yeah, I have trouble reading it in sunlight depending on which face I'm using. If I'm expecting to be outside for awhile, I'll usually switch it to either Modular or X-Large

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

CelestialScribe posted:

Any good recommendations for third -party bands? Looking for a black metal link band to go with my Sport 42mm.

This Manowear one seems to have good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Monowear-Metal-Space-Apple-Watch/dp/B00WGQRCUM

I have the stainless one of these to go with my 42 stainless: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C8NG2VW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its pretty much indistinguishable from the $450 one from apple, its worth it just for the butterfly clasp which is by far the best in the industry.
I wear my watch every day and I've had my top4cus stainless band for like 5 or 6 months now and its still in great shape visually and mechanically its as good as the day I bought it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So what's the real scoop on the base choices. Is there a meaningful difference between the aluminum and the stainless that I should consider? Trying to decide if the best choice is to pick up the 42mm sport and find a good third party band that I like or if paying up for the stainless has value.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The stainless steel one is heavier and has more durable screen glass otherwise it's all cosmetic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean the Series 1 holds up fine in everyday water exposure, right? Rain, hand washing, etc.? It's not like I'm showering with my Pebble on as is so I can't think of any reason to jump on the S2 train besides the brighter screen. And so far everyone in this thread is content with the brightness of the S1.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
^^ mine has been on while washing many dishes, cars, and dogs. No problems yet. Also AppleCare is $50 with a $69 deductible.

Something I just noticed -- the Series 2 is a mm thicker. Pre-Preorder cancelled.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Lotsa people have reported the series 1 to be fine for swimming (tracking is hosed though) but it's not officially supported so if it breaks that's not covered by warranty I guess.

Edit: also Apple recommends cleaning the watch under running water so take that as you will.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I wore it in the shower every day for a while. May or may not be related, but one day I took a call on the watch and noticed the speaker was barely audible (more so than usual :v:). I was barely still in the warranty period and got it replaced.

There was also a little survey thing about water exposure but that didn't void the warranty :toot:. I wonder if that'll change with the new one now that they've established that one is for water and the other for, uh, not as much water.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I really hope this pushes other smart watch makers to waterproof was well

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

So they say they're rated for the same amount of battery life on the Apple site, but I'd have to guess that you'd get a lot more per charge if you disable the GPS. I know no one can really answer this at this time, but I'd assume you can disable the GPS, right? I mean, you can with both iPads and iPhones, so I'd assume it's the same with the watch. Anyone seen a setting for it in Watch OS 3? Really on the fence between the two versions considering I do swim sometimes for exercise.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

housefly posted:

So they say they're rated for the same amount of battery life on the Apple site, but I'd have to guess that you'd get a lot more per charge if you disable the GPS. I know no one can really answer this at this time, but I'd assume you can disable the GPS, right? I mean, you can with both iPads and iPhones, so I'd assume it's the same with the watch. Anyone seen a setting for it in Watch OS 3? Really on the fence between the two versions considering I do swim sometimes for exercise.

I would imagine that GPS is already disabled by default unless you explicitly activate it via workout tracking or some other app (e.g. Uber).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

e: nvm

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Is apple gonna be the only place to preorder?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is apple gonna be the only place to preorder?

Seems so. I'm kind of waiting on B&H to at least save tax.

I totally sperged out and 3D printed mockups because I couldn't find a store with a try-on display. I think my 180mm wrists are on the small side for a man, so I was planning on the 38, but now I'm waffling. I like how the 42 looks here, but I'm thinking a band will make the 38 more prominent and maybe it'll look right. Opinions?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Get the 42.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Just go for the 42mm and stop worrying about it. Bigger screen is better than.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Stop spergin and get the 42.

• Locked thread