Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Bill Cosby isn't running for president either guess we should just ignore these accusations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

What?

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What battleground states have universal early voting?

I know that Florida has no questions asked absentee ballots because that's how I vote. My wife and I get our ballots a few weeks before election day and there's just a box to check that says "hey yeah send me one of these next election too" so I don't even have to leave the house. A lot of my coworkers do the same.

So at least in my county in Florida (Leon county which is where Tallahassee is) has lots of people early voting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

According to Ballotpedia
  • Arizona
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
    ------------
  • Indiana
  • Nebraska
  • Utah

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ohio, North Carolina, Florida

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more video out there of Trump just completely blowing off a reporter's question, given his love hate of the media.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm not saying he did but being dismissive of them is kind of ridiculous.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Gyges posted:

According to Ballotpedia
  • Arizona
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
    ------------
  • Indiana
  • Nebraska
  • Utah

Thats a real Clinton favorable list. GOTV in Ohio, Florida, and NC and it's over before election day.

So how does a competent and organized GOTV program work?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Abisteen posted:

I know that Florida has no questions asked absentee ballots because that's how I vote. My wife and I get our ballots a few weeks before election day and there's just a box to check that says "hey yeah send me one of these next election too" so I don't even have to leave the house. A lot of my coworkers do the same.

So at least in my county in Florida (Leon county which is where Tallahassee is) has lots of people early voting.

You don't even have to do that if you want to early vote in Florida. Just go to one of your county's designated early voting locations and physically vote on a whim 8-15 days(depending on how big a jackass your supervisor of elections is) before the election.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

DAMNIT, globalists tricked me into giving my personal info to a daemon AGAIN

Why do I keep FALLING for this poo poo!!!

why yes I will use any excuse to post this

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Harik posted:

This is begging the question (used correctly): your conclusion is baked into the assumption that he would be paying these now-redundant positions when he won. He was ready to toss his campaign staff, the only change was also tossing his transition team.

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm here to not understand that it doesn't matter how much power or money or influence you have and that sexism, like racism, are so ingrained that a white man in your position would still have it better.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Feel free to start a thread about it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Don't you think he would have been nailed for them already? Republicans tried to find anything and everything to attack him with, you think they missed something as super obvious and terrible as rape?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I like how CNN's headline right now is just "No he didn't", contradicting Trump straight up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Thats a real Clinton favorable list. GOTV in Ohio, Florida, and NC and it's over before election day.

So how does a competent and organized GOTV program work?

You work with local organizations, like churches for Souls to the Polls, to get people to the polls. Additionally you compile a list of local voters for your field offices to hound the poo poo out of until they vote. The list is created using various databases and statistical models to determine voters who are going to vote Democratic. As election day approaches you do a combination of phone calls, text messages, emails, direct mail and door knocking to determine who has voted, who will vote, who needs help getting out to vote, and who needs encouragement as well as what that encouragement is to go out and vote. You also use local media and media personalities who are more demographically targeted to implore listeners/followers to vote.

While doing that you further refine your lists through those contacts with voters and encourage them to help you by getting their friends and family out to vote. I believe they can check to see if you've voted, because I remember getting frequent reminders from Obama to go vote that stopped as soon as I did vote. Bernie volunteers texted me a couple times before I texted back that I was voting.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

speng31b posted:

I like how CNN's headline right now is just "No he didn't", contradicting Trump straight up.

This election and the lovely reporting thus far have forced CNN of all places to take up the mantle of responsible journalism

It's confusing

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this is hysterical

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Finally booted up Facebook today and the HONY profile on Clinton is all over the place and even people who I've personally seen post negative Clinton stuff at least 30 times a second for months straight saying, "yeah it's true, you kind of do have to be a stone cold bitch and you just get used to people hating you for it" and whatnot

An excellent piece. Remember how much attention their takedown of Trump got? People eat this poo poo up and I hope the campaign uses it because it's really, really good stuff for showing her human side

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

This election and the lovely reporting thus far have forced CNN of all places to take up the mantle of responsible journalism

It's confusing

it feels like it's a semi-organized protest of low-level employees who are sick of corey and lord making their network into a national embarrassment

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Bill Cosby isn't running for president either guess we should just ignore these accusations.

What about this guy, who's actually currently running for president? Don't hear these brought up much

http://fusion.net/story/328522/donald-trump-accused-rape-sexual-assault/

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Boxcar posted:

Hillary has a higher average speaking fee than Bill Clinton who is known as one of the best and I believe she received the most votes ever in a primary. As I said, sure, she gets sexist attacks, but to create some "I'm a girl who has no role models and can't act like the men when speaking" fiction that this is holding her back in any way is creating some kind of persecution myth. She is the best in the game today by any measurable statistic - stop having to turn her into the constant victim when she is the constant top performer.

You just said Hillary has a "persecution myth." This is a woman who has been target no 1 since I was a toddler.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Hollismason posted:

There's not enough evidence to prove her case either way, and while normally you might be inclined to listen and believe, it's surrounded by tons of other cases that are provably false. That might not be totally fair to her but it's undeniable that it's going to affect things. Especially when people lump her possibly legitimate case in with the obvious frauds in order to attack the Clintons.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 9, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

This is USPol, the Hillary thread.

We're not dismissing it just dismissing it from the thread.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

iospace posted:

Well, 5.3 magnitude earthquake in North Korea:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37314927
Very close their prior test sites.

South Korea called it an "artificial" tremor. So brace yourselves for another round of pundits patting themselves on the back about how Democratic foreign policy has failed and how Trump will win the Korean War and will beat all the Koreas, every one.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Wasn't the new Jane Doe one the one Jezebel did an article on where they revealed the story was being shopped around by anti-Trump PAC and they were refusing to let anyone interview the accuser even anonymously and all that kind of poo poo? Like, when even Gawker/Jezebel is going "Yeah, this is just a bad attempt at a political hit on Trump" it probably has about zero merit, even if Trump is actually human scum in general.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

it feels like it's a semi-organized protest of low-level employees who are sick of corey and lord making their network into a national embarrassment

I do enjoy the CNN mutiny theory

Wolf Blitzer marooned on an island in the Caribbean

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Eifert Posting posted:

You just said Hillary has a "persecution myth." This is a woman who has been target no 1 since I was a toddler.

No - that some of her supporters seem to love embracing a persecution myth on her behalf.

The Attack: Hillary is a cold speaker
Reply that moved one goon to tears: She is a victim of a sexist society and is forced to trailblaze a path in which she vaguely wishes she had it as easy as a man, but can deal.
Reply accused of trolling: If she is such a cold speaker, explain why she is one of the highest paid speakers and has inspired more people than ever to vote for her as their presidential nominee

I think this mentality is why Trump still has whatever little chance he has of winning. Democrats need to say why Hillary is great - not how she is overcoming a sexist society, especially in a field she is already pretty much number one in.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Boxcar posted:

No - that some of her supporters seem to love embracing a persecution myth on her behalf.

Reply that moved one goon to tears: She is a victim of a sexist society and is forced to trailblaze a path in which she vaguely wishes she had it as easy as a man, but can deal.
Reply accused of trolling: If she is such a cold speaker, explain why she is one of the highest paid speakers and has inspired more people than ever to vote for her as their presidential nominee

I think this mentality is why Trump still has whatever little chance he has of winning. Democrats need to say why Hillary is great - not how she is overcoming a sexist society, especially in a field she is already pretty much number one in.

So just to be clear you believe that if a woman is successful then she cannot possibly have suffered from sexism? Do you also believe that rich black folks have never suffered from racism?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ComradeCosmobot posted:

South Korea called it an "artificial" tremor. So brace yourselves for another round of pundits patting themselves on the back about how Democratic foreign policy has failed and how Trump will win the Korean War and will beat all the Koreas, every one.

Anything to stop Kpop from spreading.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Boxcar posted:

You do realize that the number of votes Hillary receives isn't some linear function of how good of a speaker she is, right? It's not as simple as BETTER SPEAKER = MORE VOTES FOR.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

You do realize that the number of votes Hillary receives isn't some linear function of how good of a speaker she is, right? It's not as simple as BETTER SPEAKER = MORE VOTES FOR.

Also our population has been increasing, so "most votes ever" is more a function of time than enthusiasm.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

NippleFloss posted:

So just to be clear you believe that if a woman is successful then she cannot possibly have suffered from sexism? Do you also believe that rich black folks have never suffered from racism?
Yeah, but white dudes don't care about ~the struggle~. Now, change all of the messaging to appeal to white dudes because

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pretty sure we all knew that North Korea had nukes tho, what's the big deal? They just blew up about 500 calories per person per day for nothing and knowing them, probably irradiated some big aquifer

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

NippleFloss posted:

I said multiple times that people attacked her with sexist attacks.

I said that arguing that she is a victim of sexism in regards to public speaking is a losing strategy and demeaning to her ability. Playing the victim card in a field where you are the top even if you have been attacked for it is a non-starter with most people.

She is a story of success - not a story of still wishing she could have it as easy as the boys and it gets her down, but she'll march on.

Edit: money paid for speeches and votes I think is a decent measurement of ability when speaking is how the public pretty much knows her. How would you judge it? Media stories?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Boxcar posted:

How about this: Hillary is doing well but suffers from some burdens due to her gender and the way it interacts with cultural expectations which has made her course more difficult and in some ways limits her options (for instance, she has to think twice about getting all Passionate in speeches, lest this get parsed as "Yelling Woman"). It may even have some tertiary spinoff advantages - for instance, if Trump does try to bully her at the debates, it will probably rebound on him a way that it would not have, were he addressing Harold Rodham Clinton.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Boxcar posted:

Michael Bay is one of the highest paid film directors. I wouldn't say that makes Michael Bay a great movie director. You never hear anyone claim Hillary is a stirring orator or anything of the sort. People hire her to talk because she knows what she's talking about and she's an inspirational person, not because she's MLK Jr. on the mic.

You're attaching ideals to her that just do not apply for the reasons you think they do.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Anything to stop Kpop from spreading.

Now you've done it.

Boxcar
Jul 29, 2000

Nessus posted:

How about this: Hillary is doing well but suffers from some burdens due to her gender and the way it interacts with cultural expectations which has made her course more difficult and in some ways limits her options (for instance, she has to think twice about getting all Passionate in speeches, lest this get parsed as "Yelling Woman"). It may even have some tertiary spinoff advantages - for instance, if Trump does try to bully her at the debates, it will probably rebound on him a way that it would not have, were he addressing Harold Rodham Clinton.

That ends up being the middle ground of everyone gets advantages and disadvantages due to circumstances.

Why not just state the reasons why she has been effective throughout her career in fields where speaking is highly valued (Senator, Secretary of State, Presidential Nominee, lawyer) - that she's bad is a myth. She's not an inspirational speaker, but there's no method with which to judge her as a poor speaker.

Edit: If Michael Bay was paid the most and won the most peoples' votes for best director over decades, I'd say the public judges him as one of the best directors

Boxcar fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm pretty sure staunching the flow of hairless fuckboi media out of South Korea would destabilize the whole region

• Locked thread