Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Jude Law is six feet tall.

He's Hollywood 6 feet tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ImpAtom posted:

"Johns also says that Justice League won’t have any of Snyder’s “controversial flourishes,”

... if you're not going to let Zach Snyder be fuckin' Zach Snyder then why are you having him direct your film? "Zach Snyder is directing but we're going to castrate him" is like the worst outcome imaginable because you won't even get his interesting failures.
...Because "interesting failure" isn't exactly a rep you wanna build for your studio franchise films? Because by now they've realized that Zack Snyder is not a good fit for these films and don't wanna go through the clusterfuck of firing him and getting a whole new director months into production?

I'm assuming, by "controversial flourishes," he's referring to things like Batman gunning people down, Superman snapping a neck, Jimmy Olsen getting double-tapped. Not "the composition was kinda memorable and neat in this shot."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still find it hilarious that Batman shot a guy's flamethrower tank, causing it to explode, and drove the Batmobile over two other guys in the same movie.

"Controversial flourishes." :laugh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

...Because "interesting failure" isn't exactly a rep you wanna build for your studio franchise films? Because by now they've realized that Zack Snyder is not a good fit for these films and don't wanna go through the clusterfuck of firing him and getting a whole new director months into production?

I'm assuming, by "controversial flourishes," he's referring to things like Batman gunning people down, Superman snapping a neck, Jimmy Olsen getting double-tapped. Not "the composition was kinda memorable and neat in this shot."

"We're not willing to fire this director but we don't want to let him actually direct" is not a good sign.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BrianWilly posted:

I don't know why you'd assume that, considering the editing fiasco that was Suicide Squad. From all scuttlebutt they made a totally different movie in the editing bay than what arrived.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still find it hilarious that Batman shot a guy's flamethrower tank, causing it to explode, and drove the Batmobile over two other guys in the same movie.

"Controversial flourishes." :laugh:

Snyder was just taking Batman back to his cinematic roots.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Jimmy Olsen was super dumb, but I think it'd be kinda fun in a weird way if he kept showing up, none the worse for the wear, with different jobs in different movies.

Mainly I want to see him playing a giant turtle monster in a b-movie at some point.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

"We're not willing to fire this director but we don't want to let him actually direct" is not a good sign.
I'm glad we agree that they shouldn't have hired him in the first place, then. :v:

Toxxupation posted:

I don't know why you'd assume that, considering the editing fiasco that was Suicide Squad. From all scuttlebutt they made a totally different movie in the editing bay than what arrived.
Not according to David Ayer. Dunno what this has to do with what Geoff Johns means by "controversial flourishes," anyway. I haven't seen the film, so are you suggesting Suicide Squad was originally very well-edited, and then Johns came in and chopped all that to poo poo when he got promoted in May? Like I don't know where you're getting anything about SS's editing process from the term "controversial flourish," especially since he was referring specifically to Zack Snyder in that quote.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 9, 2016

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe he's bad at directing but really good at keeping the cast looking ripped by running a paleo craft services table.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Snyder can direct. Just reign in his scripts. The cinematography was the best part.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Rhyno posted:

He's Hollywood 6 feet tall.

I just realized you're the reason that Miracleman was delayed. Every book you like ends!!!

Snyder is a good director and his films actually have a lot of nuance and subtly to them. Almost every frame and shot in BvS is basically " Here is a comic book panel come to life". He very obviously is a visual director similar to Michael Bay. His movies though are operatic and some people really don't like that at all.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 9, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Not all comic panels are created equal, friend. A gloriously-constructed splash page of Batman acting like a dumbass is still a splash page of Batman acting like a dumbass.

And speaking as someone who has studied and literally been in various opera productions: there's a reason the masses aren't climbing over themselves to score seats. It's not accessible. It's not relatable beyond academic interest. And even then there's a wide range of quality and craftsmanship involved, depending on direction and production and acting and delivery, so shows are hardly above reproach by sole merit of being opera. No matter how much you may love the shows, the shortcomings of the medium are easy to see.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
to be fair, opera, like cinema, was made for literal peasant people

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, but rich people got into it and it became "classic". So look forward to Michael Bay being the next Shakespeare in a couple of centuries.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Four Score posted:

to be fair, opera, like cinema, was made for literal peasant people
Certainly. And I'm absolutely stretching Hollismason's use of the term "operatic" to an overblown degree just to make a point. But the point being that the mere appearance of...how should I put it..."artistry?" "Effort?" "Style?"...does not shield anything from value judgments. Consumers pick apart highbrow art all the time. Genre =/= merit.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I just realized you're the reason that Miracleman was delayed. Every book you like ends!!!

Snyder is a good director and his films actually have a lot of nuance and subtly to them. Almost every frame and shot in BvS is basically " Here is a comic book panel come to life". He very obviously is a visual director similar to Michael Bay. His movies though are operatic and some people really don't like that at all.

He has exceptional visual style and his ability to stage an action sequence is incredibly good, but he seems utterly incapable. or perhaps unwilling, to marshal these talents in order to serve the story he is telling.

So, when given a good script he can just about scrape through something interesting, but when given a script as monstrously awful as the one for Batman v Superman, and then having it cut to pieces in editing on top of that, the end result is an utter disaster.

Hence why DC is on the "We're sorry, the next one will be real different" train. Let's hope they don't crash into a loving canyon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Peasants make up the loving world, though. gently caress that noise. We're all basically peasants. Most of the best stuff is made by or for peasants. The 'lords' are disconnected shitheads completely dependent on us 'peasants' for labor and to buy their lovely products. They better goddamn make their products for peasants, we're the ones actually running the place.

And I don't know what loving comic panels yall are reading because when I read a Superman comic there's a lot of bright colors, square jaws, determined clenched teeth, etc. When I watch a Snyder movie I see desaturated blues and greys, angry glares, superheroes bellowing belligerently at each other, etc. with everything seeped in darkness and driving rain. He's not good at this. Or he is, but he's a horrible fit for anything but a gritty deconstruction, and making the core storyline of the Superman and Batman universe a gritty deconstruction is a horrible direction to go in.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not even a good deconstruction though, it's not saying anything interesting about the genre

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

It's not even a good deconstruction though, it's not saying anything interesting about the genre

All it's saying is "actually, in the real world these characters might be lovely and selfish". It's a deeply cynical look at heroism, as well as an empty and inaccurate one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That wasn't what I took away from MoS or BvS at all. :shrug:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It's just so boring because Nolan's Batman trilogy was all about "If Batman was real, it would suck complete rear end" and I had hoped we were moving away from that, but we're not. MoS and BvS come along to say "No, seriously, realistic superheroes is the worst thing!" I know! I know superheroes aren't real and if they were they would be impractical! It's almost condescending at best and totally pretentious at worst. Ooh look at Clark go into cross pose as he descends from space; wouldn't SuperMessiah have the toughest time being a hero? Yes Snyder. Do you have anything else to add? No? Well poo poo.

I mean there's been a clear response from fans. Everyone got their full dose of deconstruction in the 90's. Now whenever someone even hints at what looks like reconstruction, there's fanfare. Look at how much goodwill Rebirth has built. A lot of people bought into simply because Johns said "We're gonna try happy and see how that goes." Why can't the movies at least give it a taste?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would argue because superhero movies come dangerously come to promoting some extremely awful stuff. At their very basic concept Superheroes are "the police have failed and are utterly incapable of succeeding, the only way for society to continue is for the powerful and rich to take power into their own hands as officers above the law. " If you look at that even a bit closely it's pretty messed up. There is a reason even the Marvel films are moving towards "maybe this poo poo is hosed up" between Iron Man 3, Civil War and the various Netflix shows that are largely about how hosed up things are.

This doesn't mean it is obligated, of course, but rather that it's very easy to move in that direction because either you have to carefully construct your story to avoid even hinting at that or else you have to create stories that are extremely outlandish and not connected to real issues so bluntly. Or just be willing to deal with criticism of what your film is saying even if you didn't intend it that way but comic book movies of all types are notoriously thin-skinned about criticism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know, I think superheroes don't necessarily indict law enforcement if they have superhuman abilities that let them do things rescue services and law enforcement couldn't dream of, like punching meteors or web-swinging out of a burning building.

Batman though, he's definitely a "gently caress the system" character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
60s Batman was an official deputy and had the key to the city. 60s Batman was the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know, I think superheroes don't necessarily indict law enforcement if they have superhuman abilities that let them do things rescue services and law enforcement couldn't dream of, like punching meteors or web-swinging out of a burning building.

Batman though, he's definitely a "gently caress the system" character.

Well, that is what I mean by "extremely outlandish." (Though I suppose the burning building example isn't that, so fair point there.) Something where it ins't "society is so hosed we need this" but 'this is a thing that happens and these guys can make it better."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

On the flip side, I think superheroes can offer plenty of great, positive lessons about responsibility (Spider-Man), accepting other people (X-Men, Doom Patrol), family and friendship (basically any team), standing up for what's right (Captain America, Superman), and so on. While Punisher and Batman can be very easily turned into reactionary idols, I think they can also serve as great cautionary tales about revenge, being too focused on a goal, and all that kind of stuff if somebody wants to write a really serious story about those characters.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anyway, people shouldn't trust the police, so I don't mind superhero stories that portray them as corrupt and inept as they are in real life.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've heard we should gently caress the police, which if you ask me, loving is the ultimate expression of trust and love.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Anyway, people shouldn't trust the police, so I don't mind superhero stories that portray them as corrupt and inept as they are in real life.

"We shouldn't trust the police, instead we should trust the rich billionaires who spend tons of money on creating their own military hardware to police us themselves" is, uh, not exactly a great lesson.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

"We shouldn't trust the police, instead we should trust the rich billionaires who spend tons of money on creating their own military hardware to police us themselves" is, uh, not exactly a great lesson.

Yeah well nobody can bribe the billionaire, now can they? Unless they're a trillionaire I guess.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Except the implication that the only way "superheroes in the real world" is honest is if they're bloodthirsty sociopathic sadsacks is just as if not more disingenuous than the alternative. "Realism" and "optimism" are not mutually exclusive ideals; the early reviews for Luke Cage imply that it's an honest story about the real-world problems minority figures/minority areas encounter while also making the titular character into a sympathetic and genuinely beatific person to idolize. Snyder/Goyer's inherent cynicism shielded as "realism" is just as dishonest as IM1's weird Objectivism and backhanded lesson on how great American Exceptionalism is. At least in the latter case I can ignore its genuinely troubling politics and watch a great action movie, MoS and BvS are bad grey boring films that ceaselessly prattle on how much Superman Actually Sucks And Does Nothing like that's some really insightful poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The police already work for billionaires who make all the laws. :shrug:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsbVnrOkcr8

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Police enforce and work for as protectors of the wealthy. Bruce Wayne basically owns the police so he can as a wealthy person skip the hired middle man and more efficiently deal with crime.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Except the implication that the only way "superheroes in the real world" is honest is if they're bloodthirsty sociopathic sadsacks is just as if not more disingenuous than the alternative. "Realism" and "optimism" are not mutually exclusive ideals; the early reviews for Luke Cage imply that it's an honest story about the real-world problems minority figures/minority areas encounter while also making the titular character into a sympathetic and genuinely beatific person to idolize. Snyder/Goyer's inherent cynicism shielded as "realism" is just as dishonest as IM1's weird Objectivism and backhanded lesson on how great American Exceptionalism is. At least in the latter case I can ignore its genuinely troubling politics and watch a great action movie, MoS and BvS are bad grey boring films that ceaselessly prattle on how much Superman Actually Sucks And Does Nothing like that's some really insightful poo poo.

Iron Man 1 isn't a very a good action movie.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Is anyone here excited for Doctor Strange? The more I've seen of the movie the more I want to see it. It looks much different than the standard Marvel fare.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 10, 2016

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm excited for Doctor Strange, not excited for fake Asian Tilda but everything else looks sweet. That said, the second I saw Rachel McAdams in the trailer I thought THAT'S what's gonna make it bog-standard Marvel fare: the obligatory girlfriend character, who is, 99% of the time, both unnecessary and terrible.

No more Janes, Marvel. I just can't with the Janes.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

You get me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
"The internet is being hacked!"
"Which parts?"
"All of it."

That dude is perfectly cast, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Is anyone here excited for Doctor Strange? The more I've seen of the movie the more I want to see it. It looks much different than the standard Marvel fare.

I'm excited for every marvel movie.

• Locked thread