Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
RiftGoon question -

The DK2 didn't work when you had three monitors attached (Nvidia card, at least); I found I had to use Win+P to switch to a view that only enabled two monitors, and then the Rift would come up with a third display.

I'm thinking of getting a 3rd monitor attached again. Does the consumer version support three monitors + rift easily, or do you still have to jump through hoops to get that to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The CV1 doesn't appear as a monitor at all anymore (unlike the DK2 in Extended) so I don't see there being a problem like you described.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Some people have mentioned there are issues. Some cards might only support three outputs and have some of the ports share.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I thought that stopped even being an issue on DK2 at some point what with the switch to direct mode. As long as you have a HDMI port for the Rift to use you should be fine with as many monitors as you like.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
There might be an issue with GPU output bandwidth? If it can only afford three output streams that'll limit the number of displays you can connect, Direct mode or no.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

sliderule posted:

Yeah call me when the pelvis tracker is released so that I can become truly immersed.

You joke, but remember that tracking someone's pelvis is actually critical to getting the "jog in place" kind of locomotion to work well in VR; you can look behind you while you jog but your hips don't lie.

Check out this guy's Vive Wand Dong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO_JGtub5T8

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Warbird posted:

I got in, but didn't realize it didn't have Vive support. I'll try and remember to add that Discord channel. Wasn't there one for Multiplayer VR games, or was that just for Vive owners?

That's this one. I made it with Vive in mind (Specifically Onward) but Rift users could join too for racing games/flight sims.

Can you use ReVive on V, or does that just not work?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Can you use ReVive on V, or does that just not work?
I would guess that it might work for Oculus games, but almost definitely not for SteamVR stuff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kazy posted:

Does he have any windows at all in his room? I didn't have sunlight, but windows screwed with my Vive bigtime for the first two weeks before I got blackout curtains.

Oh yeah, I finally checked out his setup last night. So, he had no windows but he did have like a dozen framed pictures with glass, so we took all those down.

The Vive doesn't actually power off, it says on the PC "Vive lost tracking" or somethine to that effect, then it goes to a light-blue display and starts up again.

I'm mostly suspecting the USB. My bro said that he already Googled for solutions and tried turning off the front-facing camera, he made sure the lighthouse boxes are set to B/C and ran the sync cable between them, all that stuff. He bought a high-end "gaming" motherboard (told him it was a waste of money), and it is Gigabyte brand which I know to have probably the most QC issues out of any motherboard brand, both in my experience and the local Microcenter always has a much higher proportion of open-box Gigabyte returns.

So, I think it's most likely janky USB so I'm double-checking it is a USB 2.0 port.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

I would guess that it might work for Oculus games, but almost definitely not for SteamVR stuff.

Unfortunately no. It correctly injects into the Oculus game, but since it is using SteamVR to do the Vive rendering V doesn't appear at all.

Vive support is coming to V soon though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I can't help but wonder if it might cause VAC issues should any SteamVR game decide to implement it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Warbird posted:

I can't help but wonder if it might cause VAC issues should any SteamVR game decide to implement it.

Unlikely, since the overlay isn't actually injecting anything into the game itself.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

bringer posted:

It has convinced me that controller locomotion and roomscale can be very happy together. The first time you move your play space up to a corner and then carefully peak around that corner in roomscale is downright magical.
It's interesting though, it works like a dream in multiplay, but I get real queasy when I try singleplayer in the shooting range. Seems like activating the parts in your brain for social interaction or w/e it is about multiplayer is a great cure for locomotion sickness. At least the one in Onward.
I wonder how Windlands would be if you also had a gun and it was a hectic swinging FPS gun battle.

bringer posted:

I'm currently considering making a pvc pipe rifle I'm having so much fun.
This is no joke. First time seeing those pipes I scoffed, now (and especially after seeing and talking to people who have it and do really well) it's a little tempting. Being able to use the grip for reduced recoil without wobbling all over the place would be nice.

But for now I'm getting really good results with just leaning my hand over the other controller and steadying it, works wonders. Though it doesn't let you hold the grip, so the recoil is at max.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Zsinjeh posted:

It's interesting though, it works like a dream in multiplay, but I get real queasy when I try singleplayer in the shooting range. Seems like activating the parts in your brain for social interaction or w/e it is about multiplayer is a great cure for locomotion sickness. At least the one in Onward.

I wonder how Windlands would be if you also had a gun and it was a hectic swinging FPS gun battle.

If you're like me multiplayer probably gives you a big adrenaline hit. I can't treat a round of Onward the same way I do a round of CS or anything flatscreen, I get loving sweaty when bullets start zipping past me.

Zsinjeh posted:

This is no joke. First time seeing those pipes I scoffed, now (and especially after seeing and talking to people who have it and do really well) it's a little tempting. Being able to use the grip for reduced recoil without wobbling all over the place would be nice.

But for now I'm getting really good results with just leaning my hand over the other controller and steadying it, works wonders. Though it doesn't let you hold the grip, so the recoil is at max.

That's a good idea - at anything less than close range you're not going to be steady enough to land shots otherwise, recoil or not. But yeah you can really tell when someone has a pvc rig, they are just so much more accurate.

This game got in my head the way nothing else has in a very long time. I'm close to breaking out my old paintball kneepads so I can dropshot more comfortably.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, where is my wingsuit pilotwings style game?!

The Ubisoft bird game pretty much plays out like that. I can't gush about that one enough.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

El Grillo posted:

You guys who've played Chronos - is there a trick to doing the shield bash thing? You're meant to be able to interrupt an enemy strike with it, but on a lot of enemies it just doesn't seem to work. Or maybe it's only when they're doing a power-strike with a long backswing?

Block the attack. Notice when the attack hits your shield and "sparks". You want to shield bash right before that. Better shields start the bash more slowly, so try with the starter shield to get the hang of it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

Apparently some major German store leaked out the date and price of Touch. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/51r0yg/major_german_electronic_store_listed_oculus_touch/

Nov 21st and 199 euros before they changed it.
If this is true I'll be pretty happy, was expecting a soft launch in December and over £200 by this point to be honest.

Nalin posted:

Block the attack. Notice when the attack hits your shield and "sparks". You want to shield bash right before that. Better shields start the bash more slowly, so try with the starter shield to get the hang of it.
Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

El Grillo posted:

If this is true I'll be pretty happy, was expecting a soft launch in December and over £200 by this point to be honest.

I have effectively-final hardware on my shelf, and they're allowing people to post photo/video of Touch on the web. They're pretty close.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

FuzzySlippers posted:

The Ubisoft bird game pretty much plays out like that. I can't gush about that one enough.
This looks real neat, but it's not out yet.

I also see it's part of their lovely uplay launcher - of course it would be. Oh boy, TWO launchers I didn't want on my computer!

Subjunctive posted:

I have effectively-final hardware on my shelf, and they're allowing people to post photo/video of Touch on the web. They're pretty close.
Have any bundled games been announced yet?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bhodi posted:

I haven't seen anything public yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just noticed that Redout apparently has Rift and Vive support. Anyone tried this yet? A high speed racer like this sounds like it would be amazingly good.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Bhodi posted:

They'll probably announce this stuff at Oculus Connect. I think Medium has already been confirmed as a pack-in, however.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Helter Skelter posted:

They'll probably announce this stuff at Oculus Connect. I think Medium has already been confirmed as a pack-in, however.

Yeah, Medium is a guarantee. It was built for this. I don't think any games have been announced though.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If I had to guess based off of games that have already been announced/shown elsewhere, I could see Dead and Buried being bundled maybe.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Trip report: Redout is the closest I've come to yomiting in VR yet @_@

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Trip report: Redout is the closest I've come to yomiting in VR yet @_@

From everything I've read the VR seems sort of tacked on in that game. Would you agree?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I haven't tried it outside of VR yet, but I'm not sure what you mean at all by tacked on, so... I don't think so? v:v:v

But let me go try a couple races in normal mode and report back.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Okay, reporting back in, quick first impression of VR in Redout:

+++++ The immersiveness, as usual for VR, is indescribable (or indescribably awesome). The sense of speed in this game is unmatched with that thing on
+ Being able to look ahead and "around" corners definitely helps race better, I did categorically worse without being able to do that, especially with how you have to sideslip into and out of the apexes of turns to get a good line
+ Being able to virtually give the asswipe next to you the finger as you race by owns

- Game is way way prettier WITHOUT VR, seems they turn off a lot of post processing when SteamVR is enabled and you can't turn it back on
- UI jankiness mostly due to text readability problems
- Oh lordy loops make me glad I did this on an empty stomach, at least until I get used to that
- No third person camera (or camera switching at all) in VR
-? As usual so far devs can't seem to agree on how the 2D mirror on the monitor should be rendered so have fun recording this

Overall this one's a Winner for us VR Havers purely on the sense of speed, though I note some folks on the internets say that that part feels better on a 2D screen. I say they're nuts, but to each their own with this crazy new technology, I suppose.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 9, 2016

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I just played a bunch of Redout on my Vive and pretty much agree with Ciaphas. You can change the camera (Y on the Xbone controller), but you only get 3 options: On the back of the vehicle, on the cockpit, and in front of the vehicle. Still no proper 3rd person camera.

Also on the Vive it uses your roomscale orientation, not your seated one. It took me 15 minutes to figure out why it was just loading to a black screen. :frogdowns:

Edit: Forgot to mention that it defaulted to 60 fps for me, I had to manually change it to 90 in the settings.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 9, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Helter Skelter posted:

If I had to guess based off of games that have already been announced/shown elsewhere, I could see Dead and Buried being bundled maybe.

If they're smart they'll pack in Dead and Buried. The medium is still too small for a lot of multiplayer, so having everyone able to play that would be a huge boon.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Played Redout in VR on my Rift. I'm hooked. One of the cars is pretty much a pod-racer and I drove that thing all over Cairo.

I had no problems with text visibility, but that's probably because of the Rift's sharper image. The main problem, in my opinion, is that the UI isn't designed for VR well. The menu screens are all up in your face so you have to look all over the place to navigate around. Then, when you are in-game, the HP/energy meters are not readable at all in your peripheral vision. They are small and you kind of need to look down to notice them.

The game also defaults to highest settings with a 30 fps cap, so, since I have a GTX 970, I had to lower everything and change the cap to 144 or so. It still doesn't run the best, which seems to be typical for SteamVR games with a Rift.

The final thing I have to note is that if you have a Rift, the game always starts up in SteamVR mode no matter what. It is apparently a known bug that you can't play it in 2D mode with a Rift.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You shouldn't be looking around the rift area with your eyes anyway, you're supposed to look straight ahead and move your head.

Least, as I understand it anyway.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Most of the picture in VR is good enough that you don't need to look around as if you had blinders on, tbh. Even on vive, if you ditch the fat foam.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Can you Rift guys just buy Blazerush on Home instead, please.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

^^^^^
I've got it on home but I never see anyone on for multiplayer when I've looked.

McGiggins posted:

You shouldn't be looking around the rift area with your eyes anyway, you're supposed to look straight ahead and move your head.

Least, as I understand it anyway.

This was the case mostly back in the DK2 era, because it would get blury and crappy, but one of the biggest optical improvements with the cv1 is the whole field is now in crystal clear sharpness so you don't have to feel like your eyes need to be bolted forward anymore.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Question for those of you that have tried both headsets. Buddy of mine recently tried the Rift after using my Vive a few times. He mentioned that the Rift had a wider field of view than the Vive and didn't feel the ski-goggle blinder effect on it. This surprised me as I vaguely remember people doing some weird math and concluding that the Vive was slightly wider in terms of FoV. Plus, I'm using aftermarket facepads that are thinner for EVEN MORE FoV. I haven't had the chance to try a Rift yet; what say you?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The FOV difference between the two is negligible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If someone's not super into VR, you never know if they are using a word because they know what it is or if they just heard the word from VR people and are just applying their own meaning to it. The Vive has a bit bigger FOV than the Rift but not enough that you'd instantly notice. You have to play the same game in both and have a reliable way to measure what FOV you have. I did this in AltspaceVR and standing in the same spot in both headsets and it wasn't all that much different.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
It also has to do with how close the lenses get to your eyes. Something could have been setup wrong somewhere for the guy or something. Maybe his head is shaped better for one over the other. Also people probably remember stuff like that all wrong anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Setting the vive to max lens distance with default foam is actually super low fov.

e: With the thin foam pads it's a big bigger than default foam too.