Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

God forbid Burlingame allow even a duplex to be built in more than like 10% of the city. If I had to leave my current position to go work as an urban planner in a peninsula community I think I would shoot myself in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sundae posted:

Yep! I'm in Burlingame too. I'm excited for the rent control ordinance because my wife and I are filthy renting proles.

Ah, so you're in favor of prop 13 after all, you're just annoyed that the windfall went to someone else.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SlapActionJackson posted:

Ah, so you're in favor of prop 13 after all, you're just annoyed that the windfall went to someone else.

Carl Lewis would applaud the leap you made there, dude. :haw:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sundae posted:

Carl Lewis would applaud the leap you made there, dude. :haw:

It seems like a pretty direct path to me, you'll just have long term renters and landlords trying to get the buildings condemned to force them out... because that is literally what landlords have and will do when faced with rent control.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It happens with income all the time, property value is just much murkier and less obviously real as the amount of dollars you earn. Excluding the social security maximum, doubling your income will more than double your tax bill, does property really need to be that different?

Maybe you could salve the tax shock by spreading out the increase over a few years, so you still eventually pay the full amount as if it occurred all at once, but the bill isn't due until later.

If you make more money, then you have more money to pay in taxes, so you set more of it aside.
If the value of your house is going up like it has been in Silicon Valley, where do you get the extra money for that 47% tax hike because your salary probably didn't go up 47%.

So property is a little different than income.

baquerd posted:

It seems like a pretty direct path to me, you'll just have long term renters and landlords trying to get the buildings condemned to force them out... because that is literally what landlords have and will do when faced with rent control.

Also fewer apartments being built because why would anyone want to build and manage a complex where you take the same amount every year but your costs keep going up due to inflation, property taxes, etc.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 8, 2016

Mantle
May 15, 2004

If you can't pay the upkeep, you sell, thereby lowering the cost of housing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

If the value of your house is going up like it has been in Silicon Valley, where do you get the extra money for that 47% tax hike because your salary probably didn't go up 47%.

You sell the house and move to a smaller house or a locality you can afford like everyone else in America. I'd say that you don't have the right to live in a multi-million dollar house and not pay your bills on it, but according to the lovely combination of Prop 13 of 1978 and Prop 60 of 1986, apparently you do have that right in California. Taxes are for young people and new residents! :v:

baquerd posted:

I read his post differently, and the leap was in regard to me being in favor of Prop 13. I read it as: because I like the idea of rent control as a renter, I'm okay with Prop 13 or would be if I was a home owner. I'd rather have neither Prop 13 nor rent control, but one of those two options is political suicide while the other at least has a chance.

BWM: Forgetting your lunch at home and needing to go to the cafeteria.
GWM: Realizing you also left your wallet at home, and instead hunting down a presentation on site that offered free lunch. I feel like I'm in college again.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 8, 2016

Mantle
May 15, 2004

BC also has a property tax deferral scheme that specifically benefits old people at the cost of younger people. FYGM!

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/taxes/property-taxes/annual-property-tax/pay/defer-taxes

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sundae posted:

You sell the house and move to a smaller house or a locality you can afford like everyone else in America. I'd say that you don't have the right to live in a multi-million dollar house and not pay your bills on it, but according to the lovely combination of Prop 13 of 1978 and Prop 60 of 1986, apparently you do have that right in California. Taxes are for young people and new residents! :v:

gently caress You, Got Mine => gently caress You, Google Employee

quote:

I read his post differently, and the leap was in regard to me being in favor of Prop 13. I read it as: because I like the idea of rent control as a renter, I'm okay with Prop 13 or would be if I was a home owner. I'd rather have neither Prop 13 nor rent control, but one of those two options is political suicide while the other at least has a chance.

I agree with neither Prop 13/rent control which is how it works in sane parts of the country.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sundae posted:

Not saying this is what happened for the poster, but if your house went up by 47% in market value, absolutely it should be legal. House values jumping by 10-20% per year isn't that unusual for the SF bay area, unfortunately.

No it bloody well shouldn't. What happens when—and this isn't an edge case, it's par for the course in many Australian cities, for one—a family buys a house, has kids, raises kids, and retires in the same house which is now, thanks to a stupid loving property bubble (now I'm looking your way, SF), "worth" 1-2 million dollars? How they hell are people supposed to come up with that cash flow, and to preempt the answer to that question, why the gently caress should they be expected to sell the house and move out just because Mayor Carl McSticky Fingers and property developer Rich Uncle Pennybags want to bulldoze the neighbourhood and build artistinal bespoke McMansions?

Bonus points for when the bubble crashes, house prices go back to a sane level, but whoops everyone's moved now because they couldn't afford the taxes, and construction on Big Box O'Whiteyville has halted. Oh I'll just pack up my life again and move back, sure.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Mantle posted:

If you can't pay the upkeep, you sell, thereby lowering the cost of housing.

No no no, this is modern business, you hold hold hold until you get the magical unicorn tenant who makes you hassle-free profit. Failing that, you take out massive loans that you're unable to ever pay back and when the bottom falls out, the government will cushion the blow by cutting taxes*

*cutting taxes for people earning enough, raising 'fees' for people who don't.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Weatherman posted:

No it bloody well shouldn't. What happens when—and this isn't an edge case, it's par for the course in many Australian cities, for one—a family buys a house, has kids, raises kids, and retires in the same house which is now, thanks to a stupid loving property bubble (now I'm looking your way, SF), "worth" 1-2 million dollars? How they hell are people supposed to come up with that cash flow, and to preempt the answer to that question, why the gently caress should they be expected to sell the house and move out just because Mayor Carl McSticky Fingers and property developer Rich Uncle Pennybags want to bulldoze the neighbourhood and build artistinal bespoke McMansions?

Bonus points for when the bubble crashes, house prices go back to a sane level, but whoops everyone's moved now because they couldn't afford the taxes, and construction on Big Box O'Whiteyville has halted. Oh I'll just pack up my life again and move back, sure.

Post-post edit: to be fair though, I'm totally for making sure people don't exploit a system that's designed to shield them from increased property taxes on their own home. I'd be fine with a rule like "if you secure financing against this home, your assessed value will increase to the valuation made by the financier/to the amount of the financing you took". Also, once you sell, end of shield: the purchaser is making the purchase in the current climate, not in the past.

I'm interested in keeping people in their homes, not giving them easy access to cheap credit.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What in the actual gently caress.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/investing/wells-fargo-created-phony-accounts-bank-fees/index.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Identity theft is such a profitable industry that now even banks are investing in it :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Weatherman posted:

They can start by not raising hell every time someone wants to add more housing to the area(aka "relieving some of the demand that's driving up property values & rents"), which is half the problem in a lot of Californian areas.

I'd be down with direct assistance to retirees to help them keep their homes, but the "your taxable property value only goes up by a trivial amount until you sell it (ps here's a bunch of ways to skirt that and have the value artifically low even after you're gone)" system is a disaster.

quote:

"At Wells Fargo, when we make mistakes, we are open about it, we take responsibility, and we take action," the bank said in a memo to employees on Thursday.

"Mistakes." I guess getting caught is a mistake, but that's a funny way to put it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Haifisch posted:

"Mistakes." I guess getting caught is a mistake, but that's a funny way to put it.

We made over 1.5 million consecutive mistakes at an enterprise-wide level and completely solved this problem by firing a bunch of low-level people, but come on everyone makes mistakes!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

This is amazing. 5,300 individual bad apples, of course.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah seriously guys, you're a little overdue for a Revolution by now. Chop chop (it is a guillotine joke).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

It's okay guys, they are going to refund 5 million dollars to the people who were wrongly charged over 2+ million accounts. So everyone gets at least $2.50. Problem solved.

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010
Just an update on that crazy AMD guy who borrowed something like 9 grand on a credit card, then finished it off by buying a total of $13,000 of AMD stock using margin with his brokerage.

He's down two grand in two weeks, one grand of which disappeared toady. Whoops! How much longer till he panic sells? Or do you think he's buying more? My bet would be he's panicking trying to take out another credit card and probably paying an excessive expedite fee to get more funds in the account.

How much farther till he has a margin call?

SweetSassyMolassy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 9, 2016

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?499174-If-I-didn-t-have-horses-I-would
"If I didn't have horses, I would..."

quote:

Saving more, travelling to see friends/family more often.

Ah well! Can't take money with you in the end, and absence makes the heart grow fond

quote:

I'd have put money away to retire...I think. Never gonna happen as long as I have horses, which are totally worth it.

quote:

I'd probably eat real food that wasn't instant noodle based and sleep on furniture I actually owned

quote:

I would have so much money. It's easy for me to say what I'd do with it because I just bought a horse about 6 months ago and I'm just getting used to being poor. I'd buy a lot more clothes and eat out a lot more often and really, not worry about money at all.

quote:

Oh and my student loans would all be paid off and I'd be living in my own place.

quote:

I would have a LOT more money. You figure five at home, two boarded out, four at the track, and heading to the yearling sale tomorrow, and you all know I won't come away without another one, or maybe two. Do the math.

quote:

I wouldn't be 30 and living in my parents' basement, that's for sure!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They should make a calendar.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

I wouldn't be 30 and living in my parents' basement, that's for sure!

They have to live in the basement because the horse gets the real bedroom

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I dated a horse girl once. At least her grandparents had land with a stable. That didn't make the relationship any less of a mistake.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I dated a horse girl once. At least her grandparents had land with a stable. That didn't make the relationship any less of a mistake.

What, aren't you looking for a stable relationship :haw:

:suicide:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

22 Eargesplitten posted:

the preferred term is centaur

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

jesus christ, horse people :cripes:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
"Likes horses" was always one of my biggest dating red flags.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Obviously horse people get the most play in this thread, but is there any pet culture that spends more? What about those people who own like a dozen anacondas? Fancy show dogs? Gigantic aquariums?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

Obviously horse people get the most play in this thread, but is there any pet culture that spends more?
I imagine you'll find outliers in every kind of pet obsession.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

I imagine you'll find outliers in every kind of pet obsession.

I don't want to imagine, I want to know! Stories stories stories!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
People who own exotic animals like lions probably pay more.

As a bonus they can eat you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

Obviously horse people get the most play in this thread, but is there any pet culture that spends more? What about those people who own like a dozen anacondas? Fancy show dogs? Gigantic aquariums?

I don't know, none of those things require a full separate monthly rent with large outdoor space and 20 metric tons of carrots a year.

I guess you could count ranchers, who subsist almost entirely on government subsidies due to their necessity being phased out decades ago by modern farming, but they're actually getting government money to raise their pet cows so it's not quite the same.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Weatherman posted:

The situation is unfair no matter what you do. If property taxes are fixed, property values skyrocket as people refuse to sell their homes for fear of realizing a massive property tax increase. Which means, if they had to realize the increase regardless, many would opt to sell their house. So, property tax increases drive down home prices by encouraging people to sell, making neighborhoods more accessible. That is only "worth" $2M because so few homes are for sale in the neighborhood. It's probably easy to find two or three people a year willing to pay $2M for one, but could you find 20 or 30 people willing to pay that much? I doubt it.

It's not like these people would be left homeless and destitute. They'd be millionaires for no reason other than they got lucky.

The fairest solution is to just stop basing taxes on property value all-together and just charge a flat fee per resident or have an income tax.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

oRenj9 posted:

It's not like these people would be left homeless and destitute. They'd be millionaires for no reason other than they got lucky.

Not if they took out all their equity in loans to buy stupid poo poo.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
My wife decided to shop her resume around Silicon Valley a bit, and even with a doubling of her salary, it would have been a break-even move as our rent would be 3-4x more expensive, we'd have to start paying state income tax, and everything we buy would cost more, plus we'd likely end up in a smaller apartment and have a longer commute.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Powerlurker posted:

My wife decided to shop her resume around Silicon Valley a bit, and even with a doubling of her salary, it would have been a break-even move as our rent would be 3-4x more expensive, we'd have to start paying state income tax, and everything we buy would cost more, plus we'd likely end up in a smaller apartment and have a longer commute.

We were thinking about it when I got a few offers in the Bay Area, but holy poo poo my mortgage would be 3x higher and I'd be making 30% more. gently caress that.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

The fairest solution is to just stop basing taxes on property value all-together and just charge a flat fee per resident or have an income tax.

Totally correct, ad valorem property taxes are ridiculous and loaded with perverse incentives all around.

Jan 11, 2004

Powerlurker posted:

Have you considered a rural location such as Des Moines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004
e: double post

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 9, 2016

• Locked thread