Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I'm a big lemire fan, but i wish he brought the brutal crushing emotional work of his independent stuff into the super hero world. I was psyched for his Hawkeye expecting it to be closer to something like Essex County but it wasn't really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I suppose you're meaning in the big two work cause his two most recent indies, Plutona and Black Hammer deal with Superheroes.

I thought Animal Man (at least to start with) was a real artistic statement in a way he hasn't really demonstrated at DC or Marvel since.
Maybe these new Moon Knight issues with the swapping artists are closer. I need to catch up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I assembled a reading order from Avengers Disassembled to Age of Ultron, so that's probably gonna be my next Big Reading Project.

It's 960 issues long. So, uh, yeah.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Toxxupation posted:

I assembled a reading order from Avengers Disassembled to Age of Ultron, so that's probably gonna be my next Big Reading Project.

It's 960 issues long. So, uh, yeah.

For the avengers titles?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Roth posted:

I'm giving Death of X a shot just because Lemire is writing it.

Yea, even though his Hawkeye was lackluster (even if Fractions didn't exist, it still wouldn't have been great) I'm still interested in what he has plans for with Death of X.

Was under the impression that Darwin Cooke had not worked on any recent Marvel stuff, but he did the Doop Wolverine team up book?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Was under the impression that Darwin Cooke had not worked on any recent Marvel stuff, but he did the Doop Wolverine team up book?

That was 13 years ago.

e: He also worked on X-Force/X-Statix. I can't remember what issues, but that was still going.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 8, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Hootington posted:

For the avengers titles?

It's Avengers Disassembled, Secret War, House of M, all issues of Bendis' Avengers and New Avengers runs, Civil War, all issues of Bendis' Mighty Avengers, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Siege, all issues of Secret Avengers, Fear Itself, all the YA issues pre-Gillen, AvX, and Age of Ultron. Then there's a couple of incidental runs I'm reading like Secret Warriors, Bendis' Spider-Woman, Moon Knight, Avengers: Prime, and so on. Basically all the stuff that Bendis either wrote himself or creatively controlled and basically all events with all tie-ins that fall between Disassembled and Age of Ultron besides WWH because I read that thing in its entirety like a month ago.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Teenage Fansub posted:

That was 13 years ago.

e: He also worked on X-Force/X-Statix. I can't remember what issues, but that was still going.

For how people talked about it when he died, it sounded like he had not worked for Marvel in 25 years.

What's the chances Marvel realized there is event fatigue based on the lukewarm at best reception of CW2, that they'll not do some big event next year?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CWII has been selling well, though? Not as well as Rebirth, but it's a successful line-wide crossover event.

And again, it's a Coke v. Pepsi situation. They'll stop doing yearly crossover events if and when DC decides to stop doing them.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 9, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

It's Avengers Disassembled, Secret War, House of M, all issues of Bendis' Avengers and New Avengers runs, Civil War, all issues of Bendis' Mighty Avengers, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Siege, all issues of Secret Avengers, Fear Itself, all the YA issues pre-Gillen, AvX, and Age of Ultron. Then there's a couple of incidental runs I'm reading like Secret Warriors, Bendis' Spider-Woman, Moon Knight, Avengers: Prime, and so on. Basically all the stuff that Bendis either wrote himself or creatively controlled and basically all events with all tie-ins that fall between Disassembled and Age of Ultron besides WWH because I read that thing in its entirety like a month ago.

Haha! You cut some books? I'm in the middle of this and just finished avengers to siege and am starting iron man and Thor. My plan is get everything but Spidey, x-men, and FF to fear itself.

Then the X-Men read wil be started. :smith:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

twistedmentat posted:

What's the chances Marvel realized there is event fatigue based on the lukewarm at best reception of CW2, that they'll not do some big event next year?

Go to comichron.com and look at the sales charts.

There may be vocal and widespread event fatigue among the comic community, but people are still buying CW2. In order for them to skip their yearly big event, a few of them in a row will have to actually bomb.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

For how people talked about it when he died, it sounded like he had not worked for Marvel in 25 years.

He actually broke into comics pretty late. His first thing for DC was only three years before that.

e: He did have a short attempt in the 80's before moving away from comics, so not really counting that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 9, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Hootington posted:

Haha! You cut some books? I'm in the middle of this and just finished avengers to siege and am starting iron man and Thor. My plan is get everything but Spidey, x-men, and FF to fear itself.

Then the X-Men read wil be started. :smith:

The only major cut was Planet Hulk/WWH. I'm reading everything else.

Honestly, I should probably try and figure out a way to slot Alias in there considering that's also Bendis and JJ shows up as an Avenger, right?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess I assumed what I've been hearing from the Comics community online was widespread, because generally people don't casually buy comics like they used to.

Like holy poo poo Comic Book Girl 19 just tearing up the most recent A-force and telling marvel to go gently caress themselves, isn't she the host of their subscriber only show?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

The only major cut was Planet Hulk/WWH. I'm reading everything else.

Honestly, I should probably try and figure out a way to slot Alias in there considering that's also Bendis and JJ shows up as an Avenger, right?

The pulse is after alias and before new avengers for JJ and Luke.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I guess I assumed what I've been hearing from the Comics community online was widespread, because generally people don't casually buy comics like they used to.

Like holy poo poo Comic Book Girl 19 just tearing up the most recent A-force and telling marvel to go gently caress themselves, isn't she the host of their subscriber only show?

Comic book buyers are morons who buy every event because it might be important. Once you quit buying events and tie ins. The liberating feeling is orgasmic.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just check out what seems vaguely interesting to me eventually. It's worked so far.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Strange to see the event fatigue thing cuz hasn't rebirth been doing gangbusters numbers or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Strange to see the event fatigue thing cuz hasn't rebirth been doing gangbusters numbers or something?

Rebirth is not an event, it's a branding. Nearly every single book is self contained and there was a single $3 book that kicked it off.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The event would be doing better if it was compelling at all.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I got distracted on my "Figure out how the gently caress Ultimate Reed happened" Unlimited Quest by reading X-men in the 150s, which was a longer sidequest than I had planned for because I had forgotten like just a regular issue was about three times as dense as modern stuff back then.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Rebirth is not an event, it's a branding. Nearly every single book is self contained and there was a single $3 book that kicked it off.

I see

I have been schooled

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's also basically a series of new #1s, so it's not that surprising to me that it's doing so well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

how many feature Dr manhattans dong

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SynthOrange posted:

how many feature Dr manhattans dong

Unfortunately none, which means they're probably not selling as well as they could be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

It's also basically a series of new #1s, so it's not that surprising to me that it's doing so well.

Marvel did the same thing just a few months ago and they did not see the massive positive reaction that DC is.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Part of that is because it was Marvel's second set of #1s within a calendar year.

Also while I don't read everything DC is putting out the only real turd was non-Hal Green Lanterns.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well, to be fair, Marvel wasn't coming off one of their worst creative periods possibly ever, spinning the ANAD initiative as a desperately needed creative rebrand.

Heathen posted:

Also while I don't read everything DC is putting out the only real turd was non-Hal Green Lanterns.

It's pretty much just that and Action Comics that are the "bad ones". I've been hearing mixed things about Justice League, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heathen posted:

Part of that is because it was Marvel's second set of #1s within a calendar year.

They also shoved it down retailer's throats with really pathetic order incentives while DC made the first 6 issues of every Rebirth series fully returnable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Roth posted:

Unfortunately none

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

What did she say? I don't even recall anything bad happening last issue, beyond the standard CW2 stuff of Carol being all gung-ho about precrime and Medusa being a bitch, but, well, Medusa, so... And it had Elsa Bloodstone.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah the last issue of A-Force was loving great. As per usual.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Gaz-L posted:

What did she say? I don't even recall anything bad happening last issue, beyond the standard CW2 stuff of Carol being all gung-ho about precrime and Medusa being a bitch, but, well, Medusa, so... And it had Elsa Bloodstone.

Watching it now, and she's shredding it because it interrupted the usual A-Force story with a tie-in to a story she doesn't care about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HIJK posted:

Watching it now, and she's shredding it because it interrupted the usual A-Force story with a tie-in to a story she doesn't care about.

...Like... I mean... OK? But that's not new and most of the CW2 tie-ins have been decent and only tie in as much as the creators want. gently caress, Avengers barely ties in at all (last issue being kind of a Vision Annual, this one being Wasp #0). New Avengers either. Other than both acknowledging Ulysses existing and tangentially having his predictions show up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What an unbearably childish glorified temper tantrum. It was a great story with excellent art, but gently caress it because it's got modified trade dress to tie into an event which A-Force, quite frankly, desperately needed considering its physical sales numbers are not great, it's the worst thing ever or something? Are you loving serious?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tie ins are pretty bad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It depends on the event. I've read virtually every single tie-in to CWII, all CWII-specific one-shots, and most CWII-specific minis, and I can count on one hand the runs I'd consider "bad". Most of them have been, at the very least, pretty good, and many have been genuinely great.

On the other hand World War Hulk and Fear Itself had quite a few truly unreadable tie-ins.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's see

House of M - A few turds, nothing truly horrible.
Civil War - overwhelmingly bad tie ins that often contradicted each other and the main series.
Secret Invasion - Almost every single tie in was bad.
Annihilation - the Super Skrull mini was kind of useless but not offensively bad.
Dark Reign - Sinister Spider-man was great, not too many stand outs aside from that other than the main Dark Avengers series.
Annihilation Conquest - Wraith and Quasar were bad books. BAD.
World War Hulk - Almost the entire thing was bad.
Fear Itself - I can't think of a single bright spot.
Infinity - The main book and the two core Avengers books were good but any other tie ins felt pointless and added nothing.
Original Sin - Also mostly bad including the main book.
Secret Wars - 50/50 good/bad.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Toxxupation posted:

What an unbearably childish glorified temper tantrum. It was a great story with excellent art, but gently caress it because it's got modified trade dress to tie into an event which A-Force, quite frankly, desperately needed considering its physical sales numbers are not great, it's the worst thing ever or something? Are you loving serious?

Try watching the video first, jesus christ. Don't take my word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bendis was doing more interesting things on the Secret Avengers Avengers tie-ins than the main, espesh with the Secret Warriors forming.

• Locked thread