Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
my experience in the past has been that installing the new iPhone's iOS on an older iPhone has caused it to run like poo poo.

so telling people to just not buy it leaves two options: 1) having a phone that runs like poo poo or 2) having an outdated iOS version, which opens up an entirely different can of worms.

pretty crappy choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iOS 10 on my 6s seems to be running faster than 9 :shrug:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TBeats posted:

my experience in the past has been that installing the new iPhone's iOS on an older iPhone has caused it to run like poo poo.

so telling people to just not buy it leaves two options: 1) having a phone that runs like poo poo or 2) having an outdated iOS version, which opens up an entirely different can of worms.

pretty crappy choices.

Friend has complained about iOS 10 on his 5c, but it's a hold over since he broke his LG G3. I never downloaded it on my 5s, and the only complaint I've had is battery life is poo poo now on whatever iOS version is current. I'm actually alright with this phone though and have considered keeping it again for another year.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 8, 2016

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

iOS 10 on my 6s seems to be running faster than 9 :shrug:

well drat, i guess that proves everything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

9 ran faster than 8 on my 5s :shrug:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

prom candy posted:

I don't think it's really fair to paint everyone who's annoyed by this change as having some kind of childish meltdown. I'm a frequent user of the 3.5mm jack, I use the same pair of headphones every day with my phone and my laptop (using a 3.5mm extender no less) so it's not just a case of attaching the dongle once and leaving it there. Of course I don't have to buy this phone, and I'm not going to, but I'm going to need a new phone eventually. Having to choose between sticking with an ecosystem that I'm mostly pretty happy with and that I have a lot invested in vs. being able to seamlessly use my phone for one of its primary uses is annoying. It's even more annoying because I think this move was motivated by the opportunity to sell more Beats headphones, AirPods, and MFi licenses.

I'm not melting down, but this is a frustrating change that seems to benefit Apple and no one else.

No, you're melting down.

You can still use your headphones with the adapter which really isn't that big of an inconvenience.

Or wait for the 7S and see if the complaining gets it back (lol no).

You do not need MFi, or Beats headphones to use Bluetooth headsets with the phone. The W1 tech is neat on the AirBuds but it's not hard to pair BT headphones.

It's not a big deal at all but people like to complain.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

10 is fast as poo poo on my 6 and I really love Maps and the widgets. A+ would update again.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LmaoTheKid posted:

No, you're melting down.

You can still use your headphones with the adapter which really isn't that big of an inconvenience.

You do not need MFi, or Beats headphones to use Bluetooth headsets with the phone. The W1 tech is neat on the AirBuds but it's not hard to pair BT headphones.

people are allowed to prefer their wired headphones going directly into the phone without it being a meltdown.

not being able to charge my phone while listening to music without some type of lightning splitter is dumb.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How long do phones usually last on opening day before they run out?
Also do they generally deliver on the first day? I'm at another house that weekend so will send it there if so.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Turn off battery percentage, plug in your headphones, and use your phone. Like when Kramer wanted to see how far he could go when the tank showed E.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

LmaoTheKid posted:

No, you're melting down.

I really fail to see how disliking a change that affects me negatively and has no positive tradeoff is "melting down" but ok. I'm not holding my breath that the 3.5mm is coming back with the 7S but I am hoping that its absence allows them to actually do something cool that they couldn't otherwise do (like making it waterproof to 25 metres or something), and that the Bluetooth headphone market looks better in a year than it looks right now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

prom candy posted:

I really fail to see how disliking a change that affects me negatively and has no positive tradeoff is "melting down" but ok. I'm not holding my breath that the 3.5mm is coming back with the 7S but I am hoping that its absence allows them to actually do something cool that they couldn't otherwise do (like making it waterproof to 25 metres or something), and that the Bluetooth headphone market looks better in a year than it looks right now.
I agree on this point. This will hopefully push that part forward in both battery life, price, and quality.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

TBeats posted:

TBeats posted:

my experience in the past has been

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

TBeats posted:

not being able to charge my phone while listening to music without some type of lightning splitter is dumb.

I honestly want to see data as to how often this happens. I'm willing to bet 90% of the people so upset about this rarely ever actually charge and listen at the same time. I don't care what anyones opinion is about being stupid or whatever, I just want to see the data. I am again, willing to bet that this is nowhere near as big of a deal as 90% of people think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I honestly want to see data as to how often this happens. I'm willing to bet 90% of the people so upset about this rarely ever actually charge and listen at the same time. I don't care what anyones opinion is about being stupid or whatever, I just want to see the data. I am again, willing to bet that this is nowhere near as big of a deal as 90% of people think.

Yeah I agree. I honestly can't think of the last time I needed to charge my phone and listen to stuff. Maybe on a coast to coast flight but even then I don't think I needed to charge my phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
People using their phone as GPS and plugged into car aux input is probably a common scenerio

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

People using their phone as GPS and plugged into car aux input is probably a common scenerio

Yep. I'm waiting on a dongle and ill just leave it hooked up in the car. That's the only time I have it plugged into both.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
It would have been interesting if Apple had tried to gradually introduce removing the headphone jack. Something like one year switch to lightning headphones in the box and introduce the Airpods, then the next year remove the headphone jack.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yep. I'm waiting on a dongle and ill just leave it hooked up in the car. That's the only time I have it plugged into both.

There's a ton of options for that. There's all kinds of different car chargers now which also act as a Bluetooth receiver that you then plug your AUX input directly into. Some as cheap as $20. This tech is not new, or particularly advanced.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

io_burn posted:

There's a ton of options for that. There's all kinds of different car chargers now which also act as a Bluetooth receiver that you then plug your AUX input directly into. Some as cheap as $20. This tech is not new, or particularly advanced.

I haven't been able to find one with 2 USB ports. But yes, I'll keep an eye out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

I haven't been able to find one with 2 USB ports. But yes, I'll keep an eye out.
Just take a look here:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-kits-for-every-car-stereo/

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Don Lapre posted:

Wow, epic meltdown fail dude. Suggesting that anybody will be affected in any way, ever, is childish and you should feel bad.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I have to use a ground loop isolator on mine to clean out interference from the engine. So look into that if it sounds like trash when you install it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Oh ffs, it's the second option there. Thanks!

Magic Underwear posted:

Wow, epic meltdown fail dude. Suggesting that anybody will be affected in any way, ever, is childish and you should feel bad.

Your constant childish sarcastic whining is an epic meltdown fail IMO.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Do you think the next iPad is going to follow suit, or am I crazy? Honestly I have no idea how analogous tablets are to phones, but it'd make sense if you take Apple's wireless vision at face value.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

Oh ffs, it's the second option there. Thanks!
You could also just go with one of the USB-powered ones and just grab a good 2-port USB charger on your own.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

You could also just go with one of the USB-powered ones and just grab a good 2-port USB charger on your own.

Yeah, I'll poke around. The setup in the car is really loving dumb. The aux port is between the seats and the cigarette lighter is underneath the radio. There's no USB or cigarette lighter in the area where the AUX port is. I can always run a long wire so it's not a huge deal but it irks me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yeah, I'll poke around. The setup in the car is really loving dumb. The aux port is between the seats and the cigarette lighter is underneath the radio. There's no USB or cigarette lighter in the area where the AUX port is. I can always run a long wire so it's not a huge deal but it irks me.
That's how my setup is too, unfortunately. I had nowhere good on the dash to install the aux port, so it ended up near the center console. Unfortunately there's no power there, but it's not too big of a deal to have a cable running the 2 feet or so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Really dumb question but can you link multiple phones to any of these?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Really dumb question but can you link multiple phones to any of these?
yes, if you read the article I linked they have a pick for if you want to pair multiple devices.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

yes, if you read the article I linked they have a pick for if you want to pair multiple devices.

Ah ok thanks I sent it to a friend who clearly didn't read it. Thanks for the link!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been using the BTC450 in my car for a couple years now and I like it, it plugs into your cigarette lighter (do newer cars still have these?) and adds a USB charger at the same time: https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B009NLTW60

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

prom candy posted:

I've been using the BTC450 in my car for a couple years now and I like it, it plugs into your cigarette lighter (do newer cars still have these?) and adds a USB charger at the same time: https://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B009NLTW60
Is the total length of the cords really close to 48 inches?

LmaoTheKid posted:

Hey Lmao if it makes you feel better my car has an aux port and 12v power plug inside the console between the seats, ... but no space for a cord to come out if you slide the top closed. :thumbsup:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is the total length of the cords really close to 48 inches?

Actually yeah there is a gently caress ton of cord for some reason, I just folded it up and cable tied it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hey Lmao if it makes you feel better my car has an aux port and 12v power plug inside the console between the seats, ... but no space for a cord to come out if you slide the top closed. :thumbsup:

Yikes, that kinda does make me feel better, thanks Fez!

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Those of you with these third party bluetooth thingers, does your music automatically start playing when your phone connects to it? On my Prius factory stereo, it seems completely random as to whether or not Spotify will start playing when it connects and in the five years I've had this car, across multiple iPhones. I've never been able to figure out why that is.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm glad the free market is already giving us $40 solutions to problems Apple intentionally created for us. God bless Apple, God bless America.
The "problem" here is "charging my phone while also listening via wired headphones" which is a situation I don't believe I've ever actually encountered in 8 years of iPhone ownership so I'm pretty okay with that.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I always have to manually start my music/podcast. It has a hardware play/stop button but my phone seems to forget what was last playing pretty often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

io_burn posted:

Those of you with these third party bluetooth thingers, does your music automatically start playing when your phone connects to it? On my Prius factory stereo, it seems completely random as to whether or not Spotify will start playing when it connects and in the five years I've had this car, across multiple iPhones. I've never been able to figure out why that is.

I have the one in question in my Miata and mine does not autoplay but the built in bluetooth in my Fiesta always plays the first song (sorted alphabetically) on my phone so every time I start my car I hear "Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Let's describe a certain female" before I scramble to turn it off every loving time.

• Locked thread