Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

FPzero posted:

I thought for sure Mikan was about to stab Chiaki at the end. Instead, her likely death gets delayed another week.

They're wringing this scenario out for far longer than I expected. I really expected that Chiaki would die by now, setting up the last few episodes to reveal some twists pertinent to the Future arc, and to explain the start of the tragedy, the mutual killing game, and the formation of the Future Foundation.

I think I can see where the endgame lies, though. Episode 10 of Despair arc will cover the death of Nanami and the final fall of Class 77 into despair. Episode 11 will deal with the aftermath.

There's quite a few questions which I feel need answers by the end of the Despair arc.

1. How does Junko get away with it all? Munakata and Juzo are on her trail, and her antics are just asking to be blown wide open. I'm thinking this is why Junko needed to become Ryoko in Dangan Ronpa Zero; there was too much heat on her and she needed to disappear for a while to allay suspicion. With Junko gone and Juzo knocked out of commission, Munakata would have nothing to connect her to everything going down until it's too late. If Munakata doesn't detect that Chisa is brainwashed, it's likely she'll claim that Junko was innocent and Izuru was the one behind everything, thus throwing Munakata off Junko's scent.

2. Does Chiaki survive, and how? Did she fall into despair with the other Class 77 students?

3. What impact does Chiaki have on Izuru? It seems like he didn't really blink an eye at her on their first meeting, but how will he react to her death? Will it break his spirit, or is it the start of a revenge plot against Junko? For that matter, does Izuru have any hidden agenda outside of boredom? What were his real reasons for tampering with the Neo World Program?

4. Does Ryota fall into despair? How does he end up in the Future Foundation?

5. What's up with Miaya (the real one, not the robot)? What class was she in? Is her connection to the Neo World Program relevant, or was she nothing more than a red herring all along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

You guys reaaaaallly want Nanami to die, huh?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i don't think it makes sense to retcon her into a real person just to have her story end in the same place it was before

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Well... that's one way to drive people to despair I guess

I don't want Nanami to die, but I still also want an explanation for how she ends up in the rehabilitation program

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Wyvernil posted:

1. How does Junko get away with it all? Munakata and Juzo are on her trail, and her antics are just asking to be blown wide open. I'm thinking this is why Junko needed to become Ryoko in Dangan Ronpa Zero; there was too much heat on her and she needed to disappear for a while to allay suspicion. With Junko gone and Juzo knocked out of commission, Munakata would have nothing to connect her to everything going down until it's too late. If Munakata doesn't detect that Chisa is brainwashed, it's likely she'll claim that Junko was innocent and Izuru was the one behind everything, thus throwing Munakata off Junko's scent.

About this one Munakata talked about questioning her but in DR Zero it's mentioned that the school asked Matsuda to use a lie detector in a questioning to ask if Junko knew anything about the student council killings but since Matsuda loved her and wanted to save her he lied and told the school Junko didn't know anything so knowing how the school higherups like to hide things and stuff and keep things going like nothing happened I bet even if Munakata and Juzo said that Junko is bad news they just wouldn't listen to then since they have no direct connection to the school anymore and they don't want another student to be related to killing people.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
loving lol at the Saint Seiya reference with Gundam.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 9, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something like Yukizome strangling Chiaki in front of the rest of the class would be pretty DESPAIR inducing. It explains why Junko (or Mukuro?) got Mikan to seperate Chiaki from the rest, when she has no particular reason to think she'd be more resistant than anyone else. If she just thinks her talent is stupid, well, she's hardly the only one with a talent like that.

voltcatfish posted:

You guys reaaaaallly want Nanami to die, huh?

I want everyone to reunite in a happy ending. :buddy:

In all seriousness it's more tonally consistent for everything to be miserable but carrying on despite that, and she's the only person who hasn't been guaranteed to be safe.

I read somewhere she shows up in DRv3, though.

TheManSeries posted:

If that's the case then my bad, I'm not gonna throw shade when its undeserved.

Man, this episode is rough and I think it's going to keep getting rough.

At this point, I want to throw my cards at Yukizome being the mastermind, but this episode sets it up to be obvious and I'm still expecting a last minute reveal.

It'd explain the whole 'seeing herself die' thing. Like, 'this is the plan. DESPAIR.'

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 9, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Another thing I caught when Munakata was reading Junko's file. Apparently she was recruited not by Kizakura, but by the higher ups? Like, the note said that the principal nor the talent scout should have any say in her acceptance. Did the higher ups know she was SHSL Despair and want to pit her against the Hope of the school or something?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You know I still haven't seen why DR3 'had to be' an anime.

e: if anything it'd have benefited from being a game so that things could go into more detail. I bet the answer's something lame like "a game couldn't switch between perspectives". :effort:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 9, 2016

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Anatharon posted:

You know I still haven't seen why DR3 'had to be' an anime.

You know, I've heard that a lot but can someone actually source that quote. I've read a whole lot of interviews and Kodaka's Famitsu column and I can't remember him ever saying anything like that, except that he didn't want to force trials or gameplay elements into the story so he thought it'd work better in a non-interactive format.

I guess the non linear back-and-forth storytelling between the two parts also wouldn't work very well in a game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think someone else probably posted it but starting to get behind the idea that the attackers commit suicide. They wake up, get brainwashed by a nearby monitor, monitor gives em a knife or something and they do their thing.

Ruruka is kind of a weakling so she had to uh, improvise and go full Nagito on herself.

It's the only thing I can think of that explains where the knife itself keeps coming from.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Txn posted:

Going to be honest, I threw up during her lobotomy. This is the first time an anime made me sick.

I'm really not liking the excessiveness in Despair.

Also, I would say Izuru is a boring character, but he's hardly much of a character.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think someone else probably posted it but starting to get behind the idea that the attackers commit suicide. They wake up, get brainwashed by a nearby monitor, monitor gives em a knife or something and they do their thing.

Ruruka is kind of a weakling so she had to uh, improvise and go full Nagito on herself.

It's the only thing I can think of that explains where the knife itself keeps coming from.

Well we know they can force people to commit suicide, at the very least so it does make sense.

Hagakure promised me a happy ending, and it better not be a really esoteric one! :argh:

orenronen posted:

You know, I've heard that a lot but can someone actually source that quote. I've read a whole lot of interviews and Kodaka's Famitsu column and I can't remember him ever saying anything like that, except that he didn't want to force trials or gameplay elements into the story so he thought it'd work better in a non-interactive format.

I guess the non linear back-and-forth storytelling between the two parts also wouldn't work very well in a game.

I've never seen it either, just taking it as second hand knowledge. I rarely read Famitsu. :shrug:

It was probably a telephone thing, where people get exaggerating what he said.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kind of agree but It at least drives home the point that poo poo got Real loving Bad

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Anatharon posted:

I want everyone to reunite in a happy ending. :buddy:

In all seriousness it's more tonally consistent for everything to be miserable but carrying on despite that, and she's the only person who hasn't been guaranteed to be safe.

I read somewhere she shows up in DRv3, though.

Chiaki seems like she's in an even more precarious position than she was last week. Class 77 are likely going to be turned to despair in the next episode. Chisa has been turned to despair, too. And she's stuck in the middle of Junko's lair.

I had thought that she'd appear to die but then be revealed to be alive in a surprise twist, but now... How can they save her in a way that feels plausible? Ironically, it looks like Kyoko has better odds than her right now, simply because of the Cure-W foreshadowing.

The one thing I can think of is Izuru. Seriously, he needs to do more than just stand around being bored at everything. With all the focus they've given the Hajime/Chiaki interaction, it'd be lame if the payoff was just Chiaki getting killed and Izuru giving zero fucks about it. They need to go big with this.

Either Izuru splatters Chiaki himself and goes full despair for the tragedy points, or seeing her in danger/getting killed awakens the last remnants of Hajime's personality and causes him to take action/collapse into despair. It'd be an interesting twist if it turned out that Izuru was the one who saved Chiaki, and that he wasn't the pliant pawn of Junko we all thought he was.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

If you think that was gratuitous, you'd better hope they don't do an episode about DR0. Amateur brain surgery's got nothing on a guy getting stomped into hamburger.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
perhaps Chisa is just the Mukuro of her story. Dies so the mastermind can further their plot and the mastermind is actually gonna be revealed next episode. Also revealing that the Chisa who died was just the SHSL imposter or some poo poo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

GenericMartini posted:

perhaps Chisa is just the Mukuro of her story. Dies so the mastermind can further their plot and the mastermind is actually gonna be revealed next episode. Also revealing that Chisa was just the SHSL imposter or some poo poo.

You know, Chisa DOES look like junko to a certain degree.

Wyvernil posted:

It'd be an interesting twist if it turned out that Izuru was the one who saved Chiaki, and that he wasn't the pliant pawn of Junko we all thought he was.

DR2 shows that he put AIJunko into the new world program, so I feel like it's unlikely that he'd do anything like that.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 9, 2016

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Frankly at this point it wouldn't surprise me if Junko was actually alive and that the original Junko's in DR1 was somehow someone entirely different.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It occurs to me that if Hagakure was wrong and the ending's bittersweet, he'd have a ~60% accuracy rate to his predictions.

He was right about him and Naegi's kid having the same mother in the DR1 bad ending, and he was right that nobody else would get murdered in the game after that.

IE, he had the (approximate) opposite of what he thought; He was right 2/3 of the time instead of 1/3. :v:

GenericMartini posted:

Frankly at this point it wouldn't surprise me if Junko was actually alive and that the original Junko's in DR1 was somehow someone entirely different.

The Junko in DR1 was the AI junko all along.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 9, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

GenericMartini posted:

im junko

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GenericMartini posted:

My dumbest no-way-will-it-ever-happen theory is Chisa and Junko switched places in DR1, it was a double swap it was me Naegi it was me all along.

EDIT: the episode at least explains why Munakata is so hosed up

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 9, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

the junkos were inside of us all along

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On Mukuro doing that to Chisa. I don't blame her too much on the grounds that she utterly submissive to Junko and simply does whatever she is asked to by her. (This does not excuse her actions and she deserves to be punished, but I can still see the side story redemption working with her.)

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Anatharon posted:

DR2 shows that he put AIJunko into the new world program, so I feel like it's unlikely that he'd do anything like that.

Though we're still not sure why he did it. Chapter 0 of DR2 suggested that he had a more complex motive than just "I'm bored, I want despair lady back."

With everything that's happening on Jabberwock Island, I wonder if we're going to get any follow-up on that.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There's some material that can be mined at the notion of the Super High School Level Soldier being someone just follows orders, but I imagine that's a concept that'd be better left for when the series gets a battle manga spinoff

I wanna see the rest of that fight with Peko!

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I won't be convinced that real Chiaki's dead until I see her corpse. That 13th branch leader is still conspicuously unknown, and unless they pull in someone from the "Killer Killer" spinoff, I believe she's the only person that can fill the spot, since I think everyone else is accounted for.

Chisa could always drag Chiaki into despair with her (which would then drag the rest of the class into it) instead of killing her though, since "the one person who didn't show up for the meeting that's getting everyone killed" is fairly obvious mastermind (or at least collaborator) material once you realize it exists.

Wyvernil posted:

Though we're still not sure why he did it. Chapter 0 of DR2 suggested that he had a more complex motive than just "I'm bored, I want despair lady back."

With everything that's happening on Jabberwock Island, I wonder if we're going to get any follow-up on that.

He did say he planned to use her like she used him, so at the very least he probably thought he had the upper hand in their dynamic.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 9, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It would be really lovely to have Chiaki be the mastermind somehow. In both DR2 and here, she's always the upbeat, hopeful person. It would be a kick in the chest to have her suddenly be the big bad. Then again, this is Danganronpa, and everything and nothing makes sense.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I think it's worth noting that despite sharing the same name, appearance, and talent, DR2 Chiaki and DR3 Chiaki are different characters. For example, DR3 Chiaki hasn't exhibited some of her DR2 counterpart's more prominent traits, such as serious drowsiness, pausing before she speaks, and a tendency to append lines like "I think" and "maybe" to her statements. As such, I'm not sure DR2 Chiaki's strength of will can be applied to her.

As for DR3 Chiaki, she's been shown every now and then to be fairly upset about Hinata disappearing on her, so she's not necessarily infallible.

I will say the biggest hole for me about "Chiaki is the/a mastermind" is that I can't think of what her motive would be beyond the generic "to cause despair", unlike, say, Chisa, who has a fairly obvious one (as Kirigiri noted, the game benefits Munakata the most, who Chisa has claimed loyalty for).

Speaking of, regardless of Chiaki's status, I do agree that Chisa is involved in the game's operation in some way.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 9, 2016

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I dunno about mastermind but Chiaki must be the extra person in Future, that's the only character that makes sense when you consider how the Future and Despair side have been working in terms of revealing stuff, every single character that could have been like Togami or Komaru or Monaca have appeared already in other places so that only leaves characters from the Despair side and the only one that makes sense right now would be Chiaki because that's the only character who we don't know what happens to her.

Also about masterminds possibilities the way the game works if the brainwashing to kill or commit suicide theory is right the mastermind could even be one of the dead people and the game just keeps going, I always suspected Tengan, the real Miaya and Chisa as being behind this and with this despair episode Chisa is highly suspicious so there's more evidence why she would help with a death game that would involve Munakata and not be afraid to die. Tengan also for the obvious reason of knowing too much and Miaya because her robot double had all the forbidden actions on it and I don't think Monaca did that part.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You know, that's another question. Unless Monaca is still interfering from her space van, how was robo-Miaya being controlled? Was it all autopilot? Its actions seemed a lot more deliberate, like someone was still controlling it. If not Monaca, then who, and why? Is the mastermind controlling her and trying to interfere directly? Was it the second Junko AI? Alter Ego? Chiaki? Maybe it won't get addressed, but I'm curious what the answer is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nidai and Gundam being separated from the group would have brought up an interesting idea of 'so how did they become Despair', but at this point it's probably just 'oh the rest of the gang came back and made them watch the video'.

More pressing is how Munakata let Junko run free for so long.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

CandyCrazy posted:

I will say the biggest hole for me about "Chiaki is the/a mastermind" is that I can't think of what her motive would be beyond the generic "to cause despair", unlike, say, Chisa, who has a fairly obvious one (as Kirigiri noted, the game benefits Munakata the most, who Chisa has claimed loyalty for).

Speaking of, regardless of Chiaki's status, I do agree that Chisa is involved in the game's operation in some way.

I floated the idea a while ago that Chiaki was the mastermind in an attempt to save or avenge her classmates. Aside from "lol despair" it's the only motivation that really makes sense. Indeed, most of the early parts of Despair laid the groundwork for that.

I wonder if Munakata knew Chisa was a despair and was hiding it? Would be pretty hypocritical. Maybe she was the first subject for the Neo World program. Maybe Chiaki was.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 9, 2016

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

voltcatfish posted:

e: wait despair is only 11 episodes with the 12th being a Q&A? First I've heard of this

Do you have a source on this by any chance? I notice that the DR wiki page lists the episode count as being 12 Future, 11 Despair, and 1 Special, but beyond that I can't seem to find any specific links outright stating as such.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It would make a certain amount of sense for the last of the Hope's Peak story to not be Despair in the past.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I assumed that the last episode of despair would be, timewise, after the Future events with the DR2 cast but that was before Hinata appeared again in that Future episode so yeah I dunno.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So this is probably something everyone else noticed the first time, but re-watching, Yukizome really doesn't treat the reserve course students that well, does she? She's 100% fine with just ditching them.

voltcatfish posted:

Poor, brainwashed Chisa.

I'm reasonably excited for the next episode.

e: wait despair is only 11 episodes with the 12th being a Q&A? First I've heard of this

So like, 'what was your inspiration for the show' and stuff? :confused:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nidai and Gundam being separated from the group would have brought up an interesting idea of 'so how did they become Despair', but at this point it's probably just 'oh the rest of the gang came back and made them watch the video'.

More pressing is how Munakata let Junko run free for so long.

It's struck me as odd that the DR1 cast seems to be older than the DR2 one despite having been in a class the year after.

Or is the DR1 cast attending the school too currently? :confused:

CandyCrazy posted:

I think it's worth noting that despite sharing the same name, appearance, and talent, DR2 Chiaki and DR3 Chiaki are different characters. For example, DR3 Chiaki hasn't exhibited some of her DR2 counterpart's more prominent traits, such as serious drowsiness, pausing before she speaks, and a tendency to append lines like "I think" and "maybe" to her statements. As such, I'm not sure DR2 Chiaki's strength of will can be applied to her.

The implication is that DR2 Chiaki, being an AI, needed time to load, I think.

CandyCrazy posted:

If Chiaki is behind it all it would be some serious JUNKO nonsense.

Yukizome on the other hand has means, motive and opportunity.

It would also explain the very start of the series, where Yukizome sees herself dying in the future. It would be out of character for the series to pull an all just a dream esque twist and how else would she know/be so blaise about dying?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 9, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They kind of wrote themselves into a corner when they decided to make a story that would actually show The Worst Most Despair Inducing Event in History or whatever. Having the audience think "this is a little excessive" is way better than having them think "what, that's it?"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Anatharon posted:

It's struck me as odd that the DR1 cast seems to be older than the DR2 one despite having been in a class the year after.

Or is the DR1 cast attending the school too currently? :confused:

DR1 cast should be just arriving, but there's no mandatory attendance anyway.

I'm not even sure how the 'practical exams' at the end of each year would work for some talents. How would you test Sonia or Ishimaru or Naegi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

DR1 cast should be just arriving, but there's no mandatory attendance anyway.

I'm not even sure how the 'practical exams' at the end of each year would work for some talents. How would you test Sonia or Ishimaru or Naegi?

The DR1 cast would've arrived at the same time as Mukuro and Junko a few episodes ago, they've just been offscreen.

• Locked thread