Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Pest Control is supposed to be included with the rent, but it takes a while to get them to actually do anything. I had a water leak from the apartment above a few months ago, literally dripping into and filling up light fixtures and I had to turn off power to that part of the apartment for a whole week before they even came to fix it.

Have you looked into the laws in the area you live in about this stuff? that aint right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Koivunen posted:

An acquaintance of mine wants to get in to the photography business, and offered to take our engagement photos for free, since she is an amateur and trying to build a portfolio. I gave her some money, which felt cheap when I thought about it later. She gave me a USB thumb drive with about 50 edited pictures on it. She took almost 200 at the shoot. During a professional photography shoot, do they give you all the photos, or just the edited ones? Would it be really rude to ask for a few shots that we requested that weren't included on the USB?

Regardless of what's normal for professionals, it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask for the whole lot. You're not asking for extra work, just for some files to be copied onto a USB. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Koivunen posted:

An acquaintance of mine wants to get in to the photography business, and offered to take our engagement photos for free, since she is an amateur and trying to build a portfolio. I gave her some money, which felt cheap when I thought about it later. She gave me a USB thumb drive with about 50 edited pictures on it. She took almost 200 at the shoot. During a professional photography shoot, do they give you all the photos, or just the edited ones? Would it be really rude to ask for a few shots that we requested that weren't included on the USB?

Photographers vary wildly in terms of what they actual deliver to you, and very very few are actually going to give you everything they take because many of those pictures won't be good and they don't want you going around showing people how 'bad' they are with the ones that don't turn out.

I've seen the deliverable range from no digital files, just a low res online gallery you can buy prints from to a disk with all of the good pictures that were taken. If there are specific ones that you would like then I don't think it would be rude to ask considering the arrangement you all had, and if you're happy with the pictures a promise to refer them to anyone you know who asks for a photographer recommendation will probably help.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Tell your landlord that News Channel 7 will run a story on slum lords if they don't fix it ASAP. Yeah your landlord will hate you for making them do landlord stuff but you and literally everyone around you will be better off.

Also roaches breed in places you will never look.

For example: in your stove where the lights and dials are.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 6, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TBeats posted:

Tell your landlord that News Channel 7 will run a story on slum lords if they don't fix it ASAP.

Pretty sure every landlord out there would immediately call this particular buff unless it was like their first day ever of being a landlord or something.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
That Max Force Roach Gel is $8/tube. Go buy two tubes and put it everywhere, your roaches will be gone in 7 days. Clean up your goonpad like it's never been cleaned before. You'll be fine.

TBeats posted:

Tell your landlord that News Channel 7 will run a story on slum lords if they don't fix it ASAP. Yeah your landlord will hate you for making them do landlord stuff but you and literally everyone around you will be better off.
In addition to your landlord not being scared of this, as the guy from Channel 7 news, we also have no interest in solving your personal pissing contests. This includes, but is not limited to, grocery store produce, arguments with your child's teacher, landlord disputes, boyfriend/girlfriend/otherwise domestic disputes.

Koivunen posted:

She gave me a USB thumb drive with about 50 edited pictures on it. She took almost 200 at the shoot. During a professional photography shoot, do they give you all the photos, or just the edited ones? Would it be really rude to ask for a few shots that we requested that weren't included on the USB?
The photo you are after didn't turn out very well. That's why she didn't give it to you. It's ok to ask, but if she says it didn't turn out, let it go at that, and don't insist.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 6, 2016

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
If she wants to be a professional, she should make sure the important photos "turn out". That's why good wedding photographers charge big bucks, it's a lot harder than it seems. Still, she isn't a professional and offered to do this for free, so it would be rude to insist on professional quality.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

photomikey posted:

I don't know anyone with more tech gadgets than me, I have found myself in your shoes several times. I am always convinced that it is a bad charging port, I have always (so far) been wrong. It has always been a shoddy USB cable. Even when I've tried multiple, reversed directions, tried "known-good", etc. At least buy yourself a new USB cable (monoprice is good for cheapies) and try that one last time.

This is good advice if the OP didn't try it already. I shouldn't have assumed reasonable diagnostics had already happened.

Tiggum posted:

It's a Pendopad PNDPP44QC7BLK if that means anything to you.

Yeah, it means it's a disposable $100 tablet that isn't worth fixing and probably has no parts available and even if it did it was manufactured so cheaply as to be non-serviceable......like, there is probably only one board in there with everything on it rather than separate sub assemblies for things that are likely to wear out or break like you would find in higher quality products. This means you'll likely have to buy a system board for 90% of the price of the cost of the thing when it was new......if it's even available as a service part/

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever looked at their wedding pictures more then once or twice after the fact? It seems absurd to spend so much on some poo poo that no one other then your grandparents will care about or look at. Maybe my sentimentality gland is busted or something.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bongwizzard posted:

Has anyone ever looked at their wedding pictures more then once or twice after the fact? It seems absurd to spend so much on some poo poo that no one other then your grandparents will care about or look at. Maybe my sentimentality gland is busted or something.

No-one ever does apart from divorce time when they are either cried over, or stabbed.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

lots of old people look at them decades later

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've found the second most common issue with cable jacks not working is gunk in the receptacle. Take a look with a good flashlight and see if you need to clean it out with a toothpick or alcohol.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to look at mine but the camera guy was a friend of my wife's family (stop me if you've heard this one) and we didn't get a single picture from the wedding. Film got messed up or light wasn't right or god knows what, I don't remember. All I know is I have no pictures of my wedding and 18 years later I'm still pissed about it.

Get good pictures taken.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

what is it about roaches that is so gross anyway? I'm totally cool with things like spiders running around when I find them. Ants are a nuisance but not gross. Something about roaches is just incredibly disgusting. Maybe how they infest?

Pray to whatever god who will listen that you never get bedbugs. I thought roaches were the worst thing until I moved into an apartment with those.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

bongwizzard posted:

My wife looks at ours but she's very sentimental. Still definitely not worth a several thousand dollar photographer though; you can find someone local that has some references and get very good pictures for a few hundred.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Earwicker posted:

lots of old people look at them decades later

My gf has her grandparents wedding photo on our bookshelf, partially because they had a highly acrimonious breakup and it's like a family-historical curiosity

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TBeats posted:

What is it about the weekend/holidays that postpones automatic payments and/or drafts? For example my water bill automatically comes out on or around the 4th of every month, but this month it won't be coming out until the 6th because of the weekend and Labor Day.

Do they give the computers that handle automatic stuff weekends off? Or is it some type of regulation?

It's regulations. There's a certain time every day that every financial institution must have its books settled. Meaning if you take a snapshot of every institution's holdings at exactly 18:00:00.000 EST (don't know the actual time), all money must be accounted for and none may be floating in no man's land.

Sure, computers do a lot of it, but when money is going to and from so many places in the entire loving globe (via a network called SWIFT I think), it takes plenty of human supervision to make very certain the books are settled. And if the books didn't have to be totally settled every day at the same time, imagine the computer fuckery malicious people could pull off to make off with money that was unaccounted for overnight.

So sure, your gas bill is probably handled automatically. But the bank it's coming from and going into won't settle their books until Tuesday, so it can't move until Tuesday.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

what is it about roaches that is so gross anyway? I'm totally cool with things like spiders running around when I find them. Ants are a nuisance but not gross. Something about roaches is just incredibly disgusting. Maybe how they infest?

Roaches carry disease.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'd like to look at mine but the camera guy was a friend of my wife's family (stop me if you've heard this one) and we didn't get a single picture from the wedding. Film got messed up or light wasn't right or god knows what, I don't remember. All I know is I have no pictures of my wedding and 18 years later I'm still pissed about it.

Get good pictures taken.

Uh...
https://youtu.be/x0GqVpW2A1w

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

spog posted:

No-one ever does apart from divorce time when they are either cried over, or stabbed.

I know some people who have at least one large print photo from their wedding on every wall.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

They also poo poo everywhere to feed their young.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

E: from the Peta page: "In an earlier study, researchers used computer simulations to show that, even with their tiny brains, insects have enough neural circuits to possess consciousness, and they may even be able to count"

I know these little fuckers are learning stuff, they seem to know to start hiding the second I spot one and reach for a swatter and if they don't make it in time they know they can simply let go of the wall and drop to avoid me splatting them.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

from that cockroach document:

quote:

Cockroaches eat a great variety of food, including all food used for human
consumption (Fig. 5.4). They prefer starchy and sugary materials. They sip milk
and nibble at cheese, meats, pastry, grain products, sugar and sweet chocolate.
They also feed on cardboard, book bindings, ceiling boards containing starch, the
sized inner lining of shoe soles, their own cast-off skins, dead and crippled
cockroaches, fresh and dried blood, excrement, sputum, and the fingernails and
toenails of babies and sleeping or sick persons.

never heard that before and its hosed up!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Vegetable posted:

I'm using a 720p resolution screen. Do I get better experience from choosing a 1080p video over a 720p video?

On some streaming sites like youtube your audio quality may go up. You probably won't have better video though.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TBeats posted:

What is it about the weekend/holidays that postpones automatic payments and/or drafts? For example my water bill automatically comes out on or around the 4th of every month, but this month it won't be coming out until the 6th because of the weekend and Labor Day.

Do they give the computers that handle automatic stuff weekends off? Or is it some type of regulation?

There tend to be manual reconciliation/compliance/etc. things to do every day at a bank because the automated systems aren't perfect by a long shot.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Earwicker posted:

from that cockroach document:

never heard that before and its hosed up!

I read the memoirs of a sailor from the 1800s where the author mentioned everyone slept with their shoes on because otherwise roaches would eat the callouses off their feet at night. You would wake up when the roach got through the callous and started to dine on your living, nerve-filled flesh.

:barf:

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Any ideas on how to fix this bar stool? The support didn't just crack, there's a chunk of it missing. The two ends do touch, but just barely.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

terre packet posted:

Any ideas on how to fix this bar stool? The support didn't just crack, there's a chunk of it missing. The two ends do touch, but just barely.

Wood putty would probably work. However unless you restain the whole thing it's going to be obviously patched.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

terre packet posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334

There is a woodworking megathread you might ask. Not a regular of it though so ymmv.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

quadrophrenic posted:

I'm trying to remember a comedy bit

It was a story about how the comedian once pulled an all-nighter then ate a whole bunch of lovely Denny's or McDonald's or something and had severe chest pains and thought he was having a heart attack, except it just turned out to be constipation

Y'know, that, except with jokes and poo poo

Who did that bit? I remember he's white and a dude and American, that's about it. It's not Kyle Kinane.

I remembered! It's not a comedian, it was Day[9]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaQdd8bUaXk

that story is p great btw, well worth 50 minutes if you have 50 minutes

e: except i already spoiled the end of the story, oops

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love bugs and spiders but roaches and mosquitos can gently caress right off and get smashed.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Here's a BBC story on why cockroaches are basically instinctively loathed.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have a question about funeral directors in cases where death and burial are in different locations.

Background:
My grandma is probably on her way out :( She lives in FL but already has a grave bought and paid for next to her husband up here in PA where I live.

She already has a funeral director prepared to cremate her down in FL. Then my mom will probably hand-carry the ashes up to here. Since she's being buried up where I live, I've been asked to figure out details up here. (The date is unknown, she's not dead yet, so I'm just inquiring at this point)

I already talked to the cemetery people, they take care of digging, inscription, graveside service setup, etc. They also have a chapel they rent out, which we plan to use.

I know that a licensed funeral director is required to receive an actual body (for good reason), but the cemetery lady confirmed that one is NOT necessary for ashes. So do I really need a funeral director?

Like, I'm thinking I can just contact a priest directly to arrange for a funeral mass, and take care of renting the chapel, digging, un-digging, and inscription via the cemetery staff (who have already said they do those things but they are not funeral directors). But am I not aware of a bunch of other services that funeral directors do behind the scenes? I've never done this before.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Beware of some upselling and 'required' (not required) services. The laws for these vary significantly State by state, so local info is key. I used to work with a program that collects assets from estates of deceased Medicaid members (Estate Recovery) and while I realize there are non sleezey Funeral Directors, frequently I encountered ones that tried to shame or bamboozle distraught family into things they could not afford. Gold plated prayer bookmark keepsakes, expensive rented coffins for people getting cremated, etc. There may be local aging resource centers with info on low cost options...

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

alnilam posted:

I have a question about funeral directors in cases where death and burial are in different locations.

Background:
My grandma is probably on her way out :( She lives in FL but already has a grave bought and paid for next to her husband up here in PA where I live.

She already has a funeral director prepared to cremate her down in FL. Then my mom will probably hand-carry the ashes up to here. Since she's being buried up where I live, I've been asked to figure out details up here. (The date is unknown, she's not dead yet, so I'm just inquiring at this point)

I already talked to the cemetery people, they take care of digging, inscription, graveside service setup, etc. They also have a chapel they rent out, which we plan to use.

I know that a licensed funeral director is required to receive an actual body (for good reason), but the cemetery lady confirmed that one is NOT necessary for ashes. So do I really need a funeral director?

Like, I'm thinking I can just contact a priest directly to arrange for a funeral mass, and take care of renting the chapel, digging, un-digging, and inscription via the cemetery staff (who have already said they do those things but they are not funeral directors). But am I not aware of a bunch of other services that funeral directors do behind the scenes? I've never done this before.

Sorry to hear about your grandma. :(

If by receiving ashes you mean getting them to their final resting place & handing them over to the cemetery to be interred I think the cemetery lady is telling you correctly. I'm in Texas and the funeral home that arranged my dad's cremation gave me his ashes and when we're ready to inter him I just have to bring them to the cemetery myself. Now this is Texas so YMMV but if it is a law, it is not universal.

You can also see about getting a hold of the State Board of Funeral Directors if you're concerned. http://www.dos.pa.gov/ProfessionalLicensing/BoardsCommissions/FuneralDirectors/Pages/default.aspx

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What the heck are these crows doing?

Every night around sunset without fail around a hundred to two hundred crows flock to this building. The night I took this picture there were way fewer than normal, only about 80 or so. They show up at sunset cawing like mad, chill on the flat glass building and the spiky building next to it for about ten minutes and then they scatter.

They've been doing this for years. They don't spend the night and they do it year round, (except when it rains), at sunset.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

They're reporting in and receiving assignments for tomorrow.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Poldarn posted:

They're reporting in and receiving assignments for tomorrow.

Nice

(also paging Corvid)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How do people make those interview/rally-speech transcripts like Sopan Deb does? It always seems to be so quick to me. Is it really just down to people using transcriptionist techniques to take them down quickly/in real-time, or are there more modern tools available nowadays?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What do DJs do?

I thought it was analogous to playing an instrument - mashing together multiple songs and scratching and stuff to play a new song using the other songs as pieces. But I've seen DJs just fiddle with their equipment for a bit and then just walk off, get a beer, and let the music play by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

kedo posted:

What the heck are these crows doing?

Every night around sunset without fail around a hundred to two hundred crows flock to this building. The night I took this picture there were way fewer than normal, only about 80 or so. They show up at sunset cawing like mad, chill on the flat glass building and the spiky building next to it for about ten minutes and then they scatter.

They've been doing this for years. They don't spend the night and they do it year round, (except when it rains), at sunset.

Maybe they're just enjoying the sunset.