Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Am I missing something or is there no way in WatchOS 3 to quickly get to the now playing controls from the watch face? I previously had that set as one of the glances on my watch and would just swipe up from the face and pause/skip/etc, but now the closest I can seem to do is put "Now Playing" in the "dock" and switch to it which is somewhat less convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah 42 is well worth the extra money.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I thought we solved this a few pages back, the 42mm is almost a small watch in modern mens watch fashion trends. I have 185mm wrists and the 42mm feels small, I would welcome a 44mm especially if it was slightly thinner to boot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

CaptainCaveman posted:

Am I missing something or is there no way in WatchOS 3 to quickly get to the now playing controls from the watch face? I previously had that set as one of the glances on my watch and would just swipe up from the face and pause/skip/etc, but now the closest I can seem to do is put "Now Playing" in the "dock" and switch to it which is somewhat less convenient.
I have no access to os3, but is there a functional difference between the new dock and the old glances?

E: oh you need to press the button instead of swiping up. That kinda sucks.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 9, 2016

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I have no access to os3, but is there a functional difference between the new dock and the old glances?

I've been using it all afternoon and it's weird but here's what I've gleaned so far.

Your last 10 used apps go in there and get updated frequently. You can pick and choose ones to keep in there getting the constant updates. I assume if you fill all 10 spots then you don't get that benefit on anything you launch afterwards?

It doesn't seem like the glances widgets though? Its kind of confusing to me since I only had wOS2 for a month.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The docked apps are the full apps and can be running (or at least updating regularly enough) to be able to be used kinda like the old glances, albeit invoked with a button instead of a swipe up. Difference is that since they are the app, there's no separate glance and app views, and devs are supposed to account for that and redesign their initial app views as necessary. Anyway when you tap on them you just go straight into the app, there's no separate app launch like with glances.

Some of the Apple glances were special though, since they were basically mini apps rather than glorified static app launching screens. Now Playing was the main special one, so that gets a bit downgraded since you have to do another tap to go into the "app" now before hitting the controls. Wouldn't mind if they added it back to the swipe up and slide over type like before. It'd quicken access to it, save a dock slot, and match up with the new control center/music control pane paradigm in iOS 10.

Well there's another big difference w/the dock and glances I just remembered, glances were only available from the watch face. With the dock you can bring it up from anywhere and switch/view the other apps, whereas before if you were in an app, you'd have to go to back to the watch face first before doing the swipe up.

Overall I like it better, but for pure glances (i.e. no need to use an app) the limited dock spots could get...limiting. I like it as a quick app switcher to keep stuff in memory, but feel like stuff like the HR app is taking up valuable space for so little function. The workaround I've figured out for now is the app launching complications (which also try to keep stuff in memory?), so instead of the HR monitor in the dock I just have the complication on some watch faces.

tl;dr different but I like it better. And Authy is actually awesome now, vs debatable compared to pulling the phone out cause it was so slow before. It updates its view within the dock so the auth code is live without having to tap again to go into the app.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

just preordered my watch 2 through best buy (had some reward certificates there from when we replaced our washer)

hopefully i get it next friday like it says

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Trying to preorder the S2 Alu. online but it doesn't give me the option to pick up at the fruit stand on day one. I was hoping pickup in-store would mean availability in all stores but now I'm not so sure :\

edit: And their shipping estimator says Oct 12 lol

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 9, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My preorder date for the watch 2 is Sept 30th delivery (space gray aluminum), so hopefully that's just apple shipping being wrong. It gave a pickup date for launch day in store, there's just. I wish I could get there at any time that weekend due to work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm hoping the delivery estimates will bump up and this is just Apple being needlessly pessimistic with availability.

If it really is going to be the 12th of October I'm going to cancel my preorder and just hawk the local fruit stand. I'm not going to preorder a watch and wait a month after release to get it. I'll give this a couple of days to play itself out though.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Were they ever day of? I don't even wanna preorder at this rate, I'll just walk in.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Martytoof posted:

Trying to preorder the S2 Alu. online but it doesn't give me the option to pick up at the fruit stand on day one. I was hoping pickup in-store would mean availability in all stores but now I'm not so sure :\

edit: And their shipping estimator says Oct 12 lol

I had the same thing, hoping I can just reserve one to pick up in store the night before.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Were they ever day of? I don't even wanna preorder at this rate, I'll just walk in.

I mean unless the physical store has zero stock until after the 12th of October (in my case) then there's really no reason to preorder.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just preordered for release day on the Best Buy website. Seems ezpz

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Last night I was bored and so I loaded up the IOS10 GM and watchOS3 GM, was a fairly painless experience if you follow the process of getting the public beta profile which lets you load the GM OTA.
watchos3 is quite a bit snappier while a lot of the UI control elements are a lot larger than I think are really necessary they are laid out a bit better which lets everything just kind of flow better.
Debating throwing my SS on craigslist and seeing how cheap a new SS would be...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just preordered for release day on the Best Buy website. Seems ezpz

:same:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Best Buy has the original sports down to $189 for the 38mm and a little more for the 42mm. So now my wife will have one and I can send her heartbeats and crude dirty sketches.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

anything accessory wise I should be looking for?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

rage-saq posted:

Last night I was bored and so I loaded up the IOS10 GM and watchOS3 GM, was a fairly painless experience if you follow the process of getting the public beta profile which lets you load the GM OTA.
watchos3 is quite a bit snappier while a lot of the UI control elements are a lot larger than I think are really necessary they are laid out a bit better which lets everything just kind of flow better.
Debating throwing my SS on craigslist and seeing how cheap a new SS would be...

Is it possible to get the watchOS3GM without a paid developer account? I just installed iOS10 GM via the public beta program, but I'm curious how to get the watchOS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

anything accessory wise I should be looking for?

I find this dock to be extremely handy. It's much easier to plug in at night with it, seems better for scratches than putting my watch on a table and it supports the nightstand mode: https://www.amazon.com/Orzly%AE-Com...pple+watch+dock

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Is it possible to get the watchOS3GM without a paid developer account? I just installed iOS10 GM via the public beta program, but I'm curious how to get the watchOS.

It isn't public for some reason. Installing the watchOS beta profile will get you it though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

I find this dock to be extremely handy. It's much easier to plug in at night with it, seems better for scratches than putting my watch on a table and it supports the nightstand mode: https://www.amazon.com/Orzly%AE-Com...pple+watch+dock

It isn't public for some reason. Installing the watchOS beta profile will get you it though.

I bought one of these a while ago and yeah it's pretty great and cheap.

Only other thing I would recommend is knockoff bands from Amazon because they're a hell of a lot cheaper than Apple. The milanese loop ones are down to like $12 and look just as good though mine's starting to lose a bit of color. But for the $15-20 I paid for it, I don't have to care or get mad about it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

did anyone make knockoff hermes bands yet

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

chupacabraTERROR posted:

You don't need a paid developer account, the apple public beta is free but you do need to find the apple watch beta profile out in the wild, which isn't hard.
The general process to do this easily is
1: Signup for the apple public beta - https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/
2: Log in to the apple public beta site on your iPhone with safari and install the IOS10 beta profile
3: Under the standard Software Update section of iPhone settings run the upgrade to iOS10 GM
4: Using safari on your iphone again load up the watch os3 beta profile, see: https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/comments/4nxdkd/has_anyone_got_a_link_to_the_watchos_3_beta/
5: Use the watch app on your iphone and go to the standard software update section to install the watchos3 GM.

Be sure you make backups etc but also be aware that if you brick your watch you have to send it back to apple to get fixed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
You can get Applecare at Best Buy right? May be worth a reserve there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

TraderStav posted:

You can get Applecare at Best Buy right? May be worth a reserve there.

yeah they offer it in the cart when you buy a watch.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I decided to grab a Series 1 watch, since I've never had a Smartwatch or Fitness Tracker before, and I didn't think I'd need the GPS or waterproofing yet. Pretty excited to get it next Friday!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

OGB posted:

I decided to grab a Series 1 watch, since I've never had a Smartwatch or Fitness Tracker before, and I didn't think I'd need the GPS or waterproofing yet. Pretty excited to get it next Friday!

its poo poo. sorry

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

its poo poo. sorry

What is your opinion on the series 2

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

its poo poo. sorry

Counterpoint: it's awesome.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Virtue posted:

What is your opinion on the series 2

It's... Amazeballs and I preordered it

Taima posted:

Counterpoint: it's awesome.

Doubt it, series 1 doesn't have the Amazeballs factor

WIFEY WATCHDOG fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 9, 2016

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

I said gently caress it and ran over to Best Buy to buy the series 1. I've got 15 days to figure out if I want to keep it or not. I'm interested to see how much improved the UI is on WatchOS3. So far I'm not really loving it, but I need to get used to it for a bit.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm probably going to sell my Watch for $150 and eat the $250 cost to get the Series 2. Kinda bummed that the Watch semi-flopped hard enough for its resale value to be half what I paid for a used one about a year ago.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Price to pay for any 1st gen Apple product. I think I'll stick with the series 1 unless my desire for GPS overtakes my sense of not spending money on poo poo I don't immediately need.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm probably going to sell my Watch for $150 and eat the $250 cost to get the Series 2. Kinda bummed that the Watch semi-flopped hard enough for its resale value to be half what I paid for a used one about a year ago.
You got hosed. I paid $200* for mine brand new back in November.

*$300 with a $100 gift card.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

You got hosed. I paid $200* for mine brand new back in November.

*$300 with a $100 gift card.

Yeah, I bought mine early September for $300 with some accessories, but whatever, I digress.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I feel like I'll be happy with the Series 1 for a year, and then I can upgrade to 2017 model which will probably have some features worth the extra hundred.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Did anyone else try to order the Edition last night? Was it always at 2-4 weeks, now it's at 5-7 :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rorus Raz posted:

I feel like I'll be happy with the Series 1 for a year, and then I can upgrade to 2017 model which will probably have some features worth the extra hundred.

Same. I want more health sensors or the ability to somehow make calls from it when my phone isn't nearby before I upgrade.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Lol, enjoy your land locked trash bags, ill be swimming the East River.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yeah, I bought mine early September for $300 with some accessories, but whatever, I digress.

Oh so we're jacking off about pricing?

I traded a friend a pair of headphones and an amp for my watch and one of my best buddies is a manager at Apple corporate so he gave me several hundred dollars worth of Apple bands for free.

Do I win the jackoff game?

e: I have lots of personal experience with the various watch bands if anyone wants a review of one they're thinking of buying.

Hint: The best one is the milanese loop

Taima fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 10, 2016

• Locked thread