Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Apple exec leads a reporter through a months-long email exchange to get into the iPhone 7 launch with numerous unanswered emails and weaselings-out. There is apparently a for-real blacklist.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/07/reg_effort_to_attend_iphone_7_launch/

quote:

It's been a number of years since an Apple PR staffer secretly admitted to one of our reporters that The Register was on a blacklist.

We also learned that they were under strict instructions never to admit to the blacklist – presumably because it would make one of the world's largest companies look, you know, pathetically petty.

And so, for a decade now, we have played a game where we ask Apple's US office for review products or to attend launches or go to events and they respond with silly expressions like "I'm sorry, but we cannot accommodate your request" or "all the seats are taken" or the current favorite "you are on our media waitlist."

Back in June, I decided it was time to stop playing the game. Or, more accurately, play a different, more persistent game in which we encourage Apple to either get over itself and kill our blacklisting or simply admit it and stop the pretense.

Today – on the day Apple will reveal its iPhone 7 to the press in San Francisco – we present that effort:

As to the question why The Reg is blacklisted by Apple, well, who knows for sure.

Perhaps it was the fact that our story, including the headline "APPLE: SCREW YOU, BRITS", was read out in the London High Court as evidence when Samsung complained about Apple's mealy-mouthed apology. Perhaps it was our spirited coverage of its deceased cofounder. Or that we pointed out that HomeKit isn't happening any time soon. Or Jagwyre. Or maybe Apple execs just don't like Dickens' Great Expectations.

The truth though is that large tech companies, especially in Silicon Valley, often use access to their events and their executives as a way to force positive coverage of themselves. If you write one bad thing about them, they threaten to stop talking to you. If you ignore the warnings, they blacklist you.

Unsurprisingly, The Register is not all that flexible when it comes to tech companies trying to intimidate us into writing nothing but positive press coverage. The question you should be asking yourself is: does that mean that everyone who is invited to Apple's events can be relied upon to self-censor any negative comments? (Quick clue: the answer's yes.) ®

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Skeesix posted:

Apple exec leads a reporter through a months-long email exchange to get into the iPhone 7 launch with numerous unanswered emails and weaselings-out. There is apparently a for-real blacklist.

this is one of the whiniest and most self-entitled things I've ever read

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'd consider it a blessing to have an out for having to breathlessly report on whatever hot garbage apple releases

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

zen death robot posted:

I ordered 2 128gb hugephones, black for me and rose gold for the wife, tmobile charged me $0 for the privilege and credited me $400 on our current phones thanks tmo

you bought a 7?

smh

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
OH MY GOD WHY IS APPLE MAKING US BUY A NEW CHARGER THAT IS INFINITELY SUPERIOR TO THE OLD CHARGER I ALREADY HAVE THE OLD CHARGER THIS IS INSANE

OH MY GOD I CAN'T USE MY OLD HEADPHONES WITH MY NEW IPHONE I MEAN I ALREADY HAVE AN IPHONE THAT I CAN USE MY OLD HEADPHONES WITH BUT SINCE I JUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO BUY THE NEW ONE APPLE IS MAKING ME BUY IT THIS IS INSANE

For gently caress's sake. Hold on to your God-damned 6 if you're so worried about this completely unimportant, innocuous poo poo that doesn't matter one loving whit to anyone, anywhere, for any reason. Oh no I have to spend $17 on some bluetooth headphones and I can't charge while listening, art is dead. Get a hobby or something.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

2-3 weeks shipping but got the 128GB model... i thought the 7+ would have 64... but apparently not? oh well

would it have been quicker to pick up in store? i should have checked

OH CANADA

$1300 with tax haha

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

OH MY GOD WHY IS APPLE MAKING US BUY A NEW CHARGER THAT IS INFINITELY SUPERIOR TO THE OLD CHARGER I ALREADY HAVE THE OLD CHARGER THIS IS INSANE

OH MY GOD I CAN'T USE MY OLD HEADPHONES WITH MY NEW IPHONE I MEAN I ALREADY HAVE AN IPHONE THAT I CAN USE MY OLD HEADPHONES WITH BUT SINCE I JUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO BUY THE NEW ONE APPLE IS MAKING ME BUY IT THIS IS INSANE

For gently caress's sake. Hold on to your God-damned 6 if you're so worried about this completely unimportant, innocuous poo poo that doesn't matter one loving whit to anyone, anywhere, for any reason. Oh no I have to spend $17 on some bluetooth headphones and I can't charge while listening, art is dead. Get a hobby or something.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

without the charging cable I feel like it's incomplete tho

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

actually this is extremely woke because it encourages people to think about how much trivial nonsense they consume

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

lmbo

stebe would not have allowed this

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

can you also plug in a charging cable at the same time, or does that break things?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Skeesix posted:

old news idiot!! gently caress you!!!!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

prefect posted:

can you also plug in a charging cable at the same time, or does that break things?

let's plug two charging cables into this dongle

gee i sure am glad we have the free market to crank out more plastic poo poo in just the right shape to fix bizarre design decisions

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fits my needs posted:

please source your quotes. i want to witness this person's meltdown myself

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

PleasureKevin posted:

my iPhone 7 better work in Japan.

it will, but the Apple Pay for transit/convenience store payments will not. also, do not come to Japan.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GameCube posted:

please source your quotes. i want to witness this person's meltdown myself

I've been thinking about this and Apple really is uniquely suited to cut out poo poo whose time has passed but which everybody still loves and make otherwise unpopular decisions, because everyone fuckin' loves them and will defend whatever and get in fist-fights with each other because they're so eager to buy everything. And then they get credit for being visionaries. When other companies make sacrifices in the name of progress everyone always stays in the laughing-at-them-forever phase until they apologize and roll it back.

This also grants them freedom to make this progress in really lovely ways w/r/t their proprietary technology (luckily they were never able to force FireWire on everybody so maybe the Lightning-headphones thing will blow over)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

apple is poo poo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you stole my joke

https://twitter.com/pleasure__kevin/status/773750731064999937

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fits my needs posted:

I've been thinking about this and Apple really is uniquely suited to cut out poo poo whose time has passed but which everybody still loves and make otherwise unpopular decisions, because everyone fuckin' loves them and will defend whatever and get in fist-fights with each other because they're so eager to buy everything. And then they get credit for being visionaries. When other companies make sacrifices in the name of progress everyone always stays in the laughing-at-them-forever phase until they apologize and roll it back.

This also grants them freedom to make this progress in really lovely ways w/r/t their proprietary technology (luckily they were never able to force FireWire on everybody so maybe the Lightning-headphones thing will blow over)

how do you know when a thing's time has passed?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

when you can't sell any more of them because everyone already has one

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

just once it would be nice if people didn't have a stroke when apple switches to a new technology. i mean there is a lot historically to suggest they know what they're doing and have good intentions.

but perhaps all the controversy is a benefit since more people hear about it, and those who understand the change may end up buying it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

historically apple is misguided and makes stupid decisions without steve jobs, same as today

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

prefect posted:

audio and data/power pins are different so you can do both at once

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

even bigger smh

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

PleasureKevin posted:

just once it would be nice if people didn't have a stroke when apple switches to a new technology. i mean there is a lot historically to suggest they know what they're doing and have good intentions.

but perhaps all the controversy is a benefit since more people hear about it, and those who understand the change may end up buying it.

none of the technology they're switching to is new.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

none of those pictures have bowie

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"everything that connects to your phone uses the same connector " isn't a terrible ideal to strive for, on a planet where a perfectly functional connector isn't already ubiquitous

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

fits my needs posted:

I made this post and I stand by it

At this point I think the only really bad thing about the change is that they're using their own proprietary port, because it's basically guaranteeing that the Digital Headphones of the Future will be device-specific instead of any headphone plugging into any device like this wonderful golden age of headphones we live in which is now coming to a close

Unless Apple's fans finally, finally turn on them which is the only way we get to keep our old headphones but not likely

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
I hope that the UN passes a resolution that the lightning connector is now a public good and any company can include it in any product for free

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

I hope that the UN passes a resolution that the lightning connector is now a public good and any company can include it in any product for free

same but the entire iphone

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

I made this post and I stand by it

At this point I think the only really bad thing about the change is that they're using their own proprietary port, because it's basically guaranteeing that the Digital Headphones of the Future will be device-specific instead of any headphone plugging into any device like this wonderful golden age of headphones we live in which is now coming to a close

Unless Apple's fans finally, finally turn on them which is the only way we get to keep our old headphones but not likely

REMEMBER ARE OLD HEADPHONES

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

bluetooth is not their own proprietary port

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

PleasureKevin posted:

bluetooth is not their own proprietary port

im glad that your cognitive abilities have increased this much, kevin

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
jfc i skipped 20 pages and the topic is the same

if the headphone jack being gone is so criminal to you i think there are 5(?) other phones you can choose from that still have the jack

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

gargle chome posted:

jfc i skipped 20 pages and the topic is the same

if the headphone jack being gone is so criminal to you i think there are 5(?) other phones you can choose from that still have the jack

lol android is rushing to drop theirs too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
i had an htc magic, literally the second android phone ever, and it didn't come with a headphone jack. just a usb dongle. "courageous."

once again apple copies what android did 8 years ago

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah and it's still dumb as hell. Again, if they'd give you two ports it would be one thing, but a single port is dumb as all hell

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

who gives a poo poo nerd

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yep

• Locked thread