Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
++, a little bleach water in a spray bottle, then keep it dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This is crazy and unacceptable, no?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yeah, sure looks like it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I certainly wouldn't sign that. Seems like something more in line with a retail lease than residential.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Toshimo posted:

While they're fixing that, they should clarify if this is a twelve or 6 month lease, seeing as they say twelve (6) and then list a term of six months.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

One of the big benefits of renting is you don't have to perform repairs. Lol to that

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
That lease in general is very shittily written, too. Going back and forth between calling the tenant "it" and"him".

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Toshimo posted:

Yes, absolutely. Do not pass go, do not give $985. If they're trying to slip that in there, I wouldn't be surprised if there's other unacceptable poo poo sprinkled throughout the rest of the lease.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Yes, absolutely. Do not pass go, do not give $985. If they're trying to slip that in there, I wouldn't be surprised if there's other unacceptable poo poo sprinkled throughout the rest of the lease.

I mean, if you really want to check the rest of it:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your renter's insurance may not like the no-subrogation clause. And the wording on 12 makes me more convinced he took this from a retail/commercial lease.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
10 & 12 are also nuts. I think it's more likely the landlord doesn't know what he's doing, and some elements may not be legal even if you sign, but it sounds like a headache for sure.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Your renter's insurance may not like the no-subrogation clause. And the wording on 12 makes me more convinced he took this from a retail/commercial lease.

It looks like someone googled leases and decided to use one for a commercial space. Is this some rando trying to rent out his basement or something?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

IRQ posted:

It looks like someone googled leases and decided to use one for a commercial space. Is this some rando trying to rent out his basement or something?

Architectural firm that chopped up the mansion-sized house their offices used to be in and is renting it out as apartments. I really don't think they've got a handle on the whole "residential lease" thing, but the apartment is very nice.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Point it out and ask them for a residential lease. Unless this baby is substantially under market or something.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I called them and they sent over this amended version. Are there any particular things I should push to get added?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cripes. I just noticed they left "twelve (6)".

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
"twelve (6)" was the first thing I noticed also. I can't believe someone would make that mistake twice in a row.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Is this the right place to ask home buying questions? Shoo me away otherwise

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

nerve posted:

Is this the right place to ask home buying questions? Shoo me away otherwise

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

GLHF :neckbeard:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Toshimo posted:

I called them and they sent over this amended version. Are there any particular things I should push to get added?

I'm glad they removed the 'you're responsible for repairs' bit, but they never said they were or that you could deduct that sort of thing from rent. Any second opinions?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Depends on the locality you're in. I assumed it was law in most places that the landlord does the maintenance, but I don't know the state and local laws in Baltimore, MD.

At some point, you just have to correct the glaring errors and assume good faith. I'm assuming everything else lines up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I'm glad they removed the 'you're responsible for repairs' bit, but they never said they were or that you could deduct that sort of thing from rent. Any second opinions?

No self-respecting landlord is going to put a clause in the lease saying the resident can do their own repairs and deduct it from rent. State law may have provisions that allow such a thing under certain circumstances, however, but they are normally very narrowly crafted, and only to be used when the landlord refuses to do certain repairs relating to health and safety.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Not sure if this is the right place - my shower has particularly gritty grout that really likes to grow mold. What's a good cleaner/treatment for that? Regular home depot spray doesn't seem to help.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Our chemical is sourced locally so I can't help, but find yourself a commercial janitorial/facilities maintenance supply store and ask them. I can tell you that grout is pretty labor intensive and when it gets real bad or you want to be lazy(relatively) you need to rent or buy a grout steam cleaner.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have decided to baby gate my kitchen to keep the dogs out when I'm not home as an intermediary step before revoking all of their free house roaming privileges (we've had a few too many trash tipping incidents and I've had enough). One entrance to the kitchen is a standard door opening so that's not an issue. The other entrance is my problem:

The railing is too thin to pressure fit a baby gate to, and if I zip tie one end of the gate to it I feel like it'll be easy for the other side to pop off the wall and act as a door instead of a gate. I rent so I don't really want to be permanently attaching anything if I can help it. I know they make free standing gates but the main trash culprit knows how to knock them over to get past them.

The dog who gets into the trash can't jump very high so as long as he can't knock it over or work one side loose we're good.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have decided to baby gate my kitchen to keep the dogs out when I'm not home as an intermediary step before revoking all of their free house roaming privileges (we've had a few too many trash tipping incidents and I've had enough). One entrance to the kitchen is a standard door opening so that's not an issue. The other entrance is my problem:

The railing is too thin to pressure fit a baby gate to, and if I zip tie one end of the gate to it I feel like it'll be easy for the other side to pop off the wall and act as a door instead of a gate. I rent so I don't really want to be permanently attaching anything if I can help it. I know they make free standing gates but the main trash culprit knows how to knock them over to get past them.

The dog who gets into the trash can't jump very high so as long as he can't knock it over or work one side loose we're good.

you're keeping them out of the kitchen, right? lean the gate against the railing and that little bit of wall you have on the left, then put something somewhat heavy behind the gate to keep it in place

zip tying would probably also work as long as the ties are tight enough. you'd probably want two, one on the bar and one on the handrail. No need to pressure it on the other side if you set it up right, it won't be able to swing

but also maybe ask pet island, they'd probably know better than me

alt. fit the trash can into one of the cabinets?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I would mount a baby gate to the wall and just patch the holes when I moved. I mean, I put up drapes and pictures, what's another 2-4 holes?

I don't know how else you'd block that entrance without it being a big old pain in the rear end for you. Those invisible fence things? Cruel imo but I guess they work.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah if the goal is to prevent your dog from entering the kitchen from the stairs, a gate mounted to the wall, that only opens towards the stairs, should work. If it can only open towards the stairs, you don't even need any kind of lock/bolt to keep it in closed position, just a spring mechanism.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
You could ziptie a piece of wood over the banister part that would allow you to use a pressure baby gate when you're not home. You could also get a step can with a lid, or use a small countertop can for garbage. I do this and it cuts down on kitchen smell significantly.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I think you're over thinking it. Replace the metal bars with wood and you have a pretty similar situation as my parents.

They bought the cheapest baby gate they could find (one of these) and just wedged it between the bars without securing it in any way.

Sure it's unsecured and only supported by one side, but it's easy enough to scoot it over a little bit to walk through, or remove it altogether in about 5 seconds should the need to rise. It's enough of a deterrent unless your dog is a chronic troublemaker and he goes out of his way to gently caress with it.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 11, 2016

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If the dog has already figured out barging through gates with zip ties putting one end through the bars won't work.

I've known dogs that will brute force their way through hardware affixed gates. Dogs will be dogs.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

M42 posted:

Not sure if this is the right place - my shower has particularly gritty grout that really likes to grow mold. What's a good cleaner/treatment for that? Regular home depot spray doesn't seem to help.

Bleach. Soak paper towels in bleach and stick them to the grout. Leave them there until they dry out / fall off on their own. This should kill the remaining mold spores for at least a few weeks, and you can spot treat after that.

(Wear rubber gloves for this process, and open a window. Don't use any products with ammonia before or after unless you thoroughly rinse with water, to prevent deadly chlorine gas. Don't drink bleach. Don't use bleach to clean your contact lenses.)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I went on Amazon and bought a canvas stair barrier that rolls up out of the way when not in use. It was $$$ and will mount into the wall but whatever. There's already enough holes in these walls to start with.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Woop! Woop!

I have pics of my new apartment.

One of the workers even left me the best/worst easter egg.

http://imgur.com/a/CmDbv

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gan?

idgi

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Free ladder!

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
I just moved into a new apartment, and I signed up with Time Warner Cable since I had them at my previous apartment and had no problems.

Turns out the wiring or something is terrible for the building, and I'm getting terrible lag on games I play. A tech came out, but couldn't figure it out.

I'm pretty sure I have a contract with them for a reduced rate for 12 months. Are there protections in place that let me get out of it, since I can't really sample before I buy, and I'm having problems in my first month? I really want to just switch to ATT Uverse fiber optics that's available.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What are they promising and what are they providing? If you're not getting what you're paying for, cxl and move on.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What are these mounts for? Top only, no bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

What are these mounts for? Top only, no bottom.

Venetian blinds, probably (if I'm looking at the right thing). I'd personally remove them and use whatever mounts come with blinds that you buy.