Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Andre Banzai posted:

Wait, what? Where is that option?

Its a mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zore posted:

Its a mod.

And one of the most useful, after Evac all.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

SeaTard posted:

And one of the most useful, after Evac all.

Aaaahh alright ppl, thanks!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Elth posted:

Crit mitigation, or even adding dodge would go a long way towards making it more viable, but it'll still suffer from the whole offense>defense thing. Maybe something akin to EU's combat drugs ability, unlocked with a proving grounds project after a berserker autopsy, that gives smoke grenades a bonus to will and crit.

Actually, I was thinking something along the lines of reverse thin men poison cloud - a sort of "sticky smoke" that gives buffs to units that run through it, and persist for a short time(until end of turn?) outside of it.

That'd be a great use of the combat drugs effect. I think a bonus point or two of movement is worth considering as well, just to help people skirt the smoke and make it worth using.

Unlocking a 'skip turn to re-enter concealment' action so your stealth classes can pretend to be batman option may also be cool.

But I think that Changing the amount of smoke you get is probably the first step. If they came in 2 packs people may be inclined to take them over 1 offensive.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Is there a known bug where XCOM 2 won't save your key bindings? Or am I somehow pressing the "save and exit" button wrong? It's really annoying having to re-bind the keys every time I start the game.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Smoke giving immunity to crits would be great. Right now there isn't an "oh poo poo" button for having a soldier get caught out of cover, aside from the Leader pack ability that doesn't let you control what the soldier does to protect itself. I've never used it because it seemed underwhelming, but even if it reliably ran them to high cover that's still a lot of investment for a single use ability on one character.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Well, there's that Psi ability that gives a guy another move

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well, there's that Psi ability that gives a guy another move

And the Psi ability that makes them invulnerable for a turn.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Is there a known bug where XCOM 2 won't save your key bindings? Or am I somehow pressing the "save and exit" button wrong? It's really annoying having to re-bind the keys every time I start the game.

It seems like a bug, I've been watching ChristopherOdd's LP and he's having the same issue.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Smoke giving immunity to crits would be great. Right now there isn't an "oh poo poo" button for having a soldier get caught out of cover, aside from the Leader pack ability that doesn't let you control what the soldier does to protect itself. I've never used it because it seemed underwhelming, but even if it reliably ran them to high cover that's still a lot of investment for a single use ability on one character.

Long War Studios made the brilliant decision imho to create an ability that gives you a free smoke grenade in their Perk Pack.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Lotish posted:

to try going for the "beat the game with conventional weapons" achievement, so I'm getting overmatched

You know that's only the final mission you have to beat with basic equipment, right? And it's real easy with six Maguses using the basic psi-amp.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GuavaMoment posted:

You know that's only the final mission you have to beat with basic equipment, right? And it's real easy with six Maguses using the basic psi-amp.

I...did not realize that. Well how about that. I am trying to train up a full roster of magi this time rather than putting them off as long as I usually do, so maybe.

Anyone tried this mod yet? It's apparently designed to take a Better Advent and add friendly AI. It also apparently adds EXALT to some maps, and they're hostile to both Advent and the player, so you can have three way battles.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Peanut3141 posted:

And the Psi ability that makes them invulnerable for a turn.

Oh, right, forgot about Psi. In my current run I don't have em yet. :shobon:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well I learned something today during the blacksite vial coordinates mission.

Energy shields (granted by Advent Shieldbearers) can just run out of duration. I'd managed to slap them onto my guys with a mind control and then shuffled the shielding guy off into a corner for when it wore off, and after multiple turns of panic, stasis, and the advent dude just not doing anything because there was nobody nearby, all the shields just turned off.

That was surprising. I still got a flawless because by the time it ran out the only aliens on the field were him and a dominated Andromedon I was using to smash holes in walls to get to the exfil point faster.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Lotish posted:

I...did not realize that. Well how about that. I am trying to train up a full roster of magi this time rather than putting them off as long as I usually do, so maybe.

Anyone tried this mod yet? It's apparently designed to take a Better Advent and add friendly AI. It also apparently adds EXALT to some maps, and they're hostile to both Advent and the player, so you can have three way battles.

What mod? Apparently it doesn't exist.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

This has probably been covered but I checked the OP and saw nothing so apologies for being a dumb butt:

Is the game stuck at displaying six soldiers on the equipment screen before you deploy? I can have a max of eight but the last two don't stand on the platform and dangit I spend some time playing dress up :argh:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Shields have a three friendly turn duration, iirc. It's just you don't see em expire naturally because you either target the Bearer or rip everyone up before then.

I think if you have an eight man squad size, you can use arrow keys to scroll? There's no way to show the whole team at once, though.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I like the Long War Leader Training perk, but it seems to disable the "soldiers mingling about in the ship" thing. Now that it's gone, I'm surprised how much I miss it.

drat, so that's what did it! lovely that an official mod broke part of the game and hasn't been fixed.

Andre Banzai posted:

Long War Studios made the brilliant decision imho to create an ability that gives you a free smoke grenade in their Perk Pack.

I tried smokes but hated them after grenade upgrades made their AOE too big. With all the melee rush enemies it backfires in your face.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

This has probably been covered but I checked the OP and saw nothing so apologies for being a dumb butt:

Is the game stuck at displaying six soldiers on the equipment screen before you deploy? I can have a max of eight but the last two don't stand on the platform and dangit I spend some time playing dress up :argh:

The base game only shows a maximum of six soldiers, Long War Toolbox's is the only mod that will alter that to support 12.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They got rid of the Quick start mod and the Quicker Start mod seems borked. :negative:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, I just noticed the same. It crashes on the opening cinematic now.

Seriously, gently caress Gatecrasher.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Backhand posted:

Yeah, I just noticed the same. It crashes on the opening cinematic now.

Seriously, gently caress Gatecrasher.

Set -enableconsole in launch options, open console with the ` key or the \ key, and use the command PowerUp on the first mission.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Anyone else catch Marbozir's ignominious destruction last night? Poor guy got hosed by lightning from RNG heaven two missions in a row.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Anyone else catch Marbozir's ignominious destruction last night? Poor guy got hosed by lightning from RNG heaven two missions in a row.

Where can I see this?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

VolticSurge posted:

What mod? Apparently it doesn't exist.

Weird. It worked when I posted it. It was in the newest tab in the workshop last week. Ambitious and had an amusing video of exalt, advent and militia AIs fighting without player input. Can't recall the name at the moment and I am phone posting and can't check what happened.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Monolith. posted:

Where can I see this?

This episode and the one after. You can watch the death spiral begin.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone here familiar enough with the modding tools / already have them installed / willing to make a quick "country" flag addition for me? I really don't want to have to download 42 gigs or whatever just to make a flag. Anyway, if it's easy enough, I'd enjoy having the option of making Earth Defense Force units. Here's the best clean version of the logo I've been able to find thus far on the internet:

Obviously, if this is more involved that I'm making it sound, don't bother. But if it's quick and easy to do I'd appreciate it. And feel free to upload it wherever and all, I just want it to exist for use.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 7, 2016

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
So I may have gotten completely sidetracked from my intention of trying to work on a mod-added alien ruler after I realized some things about how the game works in terms of how it handles soldier classes, how it handles character generation of both humans and non-humans, etc. (Basically Firaxis seems to have genericized a lot of how the game does that for Shen's Last Gift to work)

But you can feel free to try out the result of that sidetracking, as much of a major work in progress it is.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Exposure posted:

So I may have gotten completely sidetracked from my intention of trying to work on a mod-added alien ruler after I realized some things about how the game works in terms of how it handles soldier classes, how it handles character generation of both humans and non-humans, etc. (Basically Firaxis seems to have genericized a lot of how the game does that for Shen's Last Gift to work)

But you can feel free to try out the result of that sidetracking, as much of a major work in progress it is.

This is incredibly cool

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So now that I've beaten the game once and working on a new modlist for a second run, I've realized a class mod I had installed hosed up the tier 2 blade research. Is this something that can be easily altered with config edits or something?

For the record the class mod is the Jedi class, which is kind of halfass anyway but pretty fun: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624482522

Basically you're supposed to get tier 2 swords from the stun lancer autopsy but this adds it's own class-relevant rewards there and apparently gets rid of the vanilla ones.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Exposure posted:

The base game only shows a maximum of six soldiers, Long War Toolbox's is the only mod that will alter that to support 12.

Dang, oh well :(

Plasma bolt casters are rad as hell

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzAP

monkeymagic
Aug 10, 2004
He is Trampling the Unrighteous with Hooves of Hot Iron
I've just started playing again to see all the new mods and DLC. I've copied the mods on offer from marbozir's current playthrough guide, but I see that his soldiers and 3 trees of skills to choose while I only have 2 (for the fancy new classes like shinobi and gunner). Any idea which mod I need to enable to choose that?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Ya know, random comment, but for all that The Tower turns into a poorly-optimized slog gameplay wise, it is a pretty cool mission. The Derelict MECs have an interesting visual design, the multi-map layout of the mission is a cool idea that they'd never done before, the music suits the experience well, and the storyline is overall fairly solid (if thoroughly cliched). I especially liked the part where your squad hops onto the MEC launching platforms and literally just clings for dear life as they go shooting off to the next floor, with Julian begrudingly admitting that that was awfully clever of you.

And on the second floor, when you have to escape and turrets are coming online every which way? It was actually pretty cool for me, since I -almost- had enough firepower to keep up with them and move slowly and carefully.... but at the very end, had to say 'gently caress it' and dash for the exit at full tilt, keeping to the side of the room I had mostly cleared and abusing LOS to keep out of the turrets' sight lines as much as possible.

The mission is still too long, asks too much of the player too early, and doesn't give a meaningful-enough reward. But it IS legitimately challenging and cinematic, for what that's worth.

Zokalwe
Jul 27, 2013

Backhand posted:

Ya know, random comment, but for all that The Tower turns into a poorly-optimized slog gameplay wise, it is a pretty cool mission. The Derelict MECs have an interesting visual design, the multi-map layout of the mission is a cool idea that they'd never done before, the music suits the experience well, and the storyline is overall fairly solid (if thoroughly cliched). I especially liked the part where your squad hops onto the MEC launching platforms and literally just clings for dear life as they go shooting off to the next floor, with Julian begrudingly admitting that that was awfully clever of you.

And on the second floor, when you have to escape and turrets are coming online every which way? It was actually pretty cool for me, since I -almost- had enough firepower to keep up with them and move slowly and carefully.... but at the very end, had to say 'gently caress it' and dash for the exit at full tilt, keeping to the side of the room I had mostly cleared and abusing LOS to keep out of the turrets' sight lines as much as possible.

The mission is still too long, asks too much of the player too early, and doesn't give a meaningful-enough reward. But it IS legitimately challenging and cinematic, for what that's worth.

You forgot Julian's sass among the pros of the mission.

But yeah, mag weapons are recommended to do it without ending up with most of your squad in the medbay, but if you've waited that long the SPARKS is already lagging behind and not that great of a reward.
I've tried with "Metal over meat", while it does increase the power ceiling of SPARKS by quite a bit, these projects are drat expensive... I'll slash the prices in my next playthrough.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

So now that I've beaten the game once and working on a new modlist for a second run, I've realized a class mod I had installed hosed up the tier 2 blade research. Is this something that can be easily altered with config edits or something?

For the record the class mod is the Jedi class, which is kind of halfass anyway but pretty fun: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624482522

Basically you're supposed to get tier 2 swords from the stun lancer autopsy but this adds it's own class-relevant rewards there and apparently gets rid of the vanilla ones.

To solve my own problem, seems like I can just wait until I get tier 2 swords to enable to the mod. Workaround, but hey whatever.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to resolve the conflict between Ammo and Vest Slots and the Shadow Ops class pack but all that really seems to do is disable the features of one class's first perk so eeeeehhhh I'll live with it.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

To solve my own problem, seems like I can just wait until I get tier 2 swords to enable to the mod. Workaround, but hey whatever.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to resolve the conflict between Ammo and Vest Slots and the Shadow Ops class pack but all that really seems to do is disable the features of one class's first perk so eeeeehhhh I'll live with it.

Are you using the Alternative Mod Launcher? I had an issue with something loving with the Long War Perk Pack trees until I used that and it re-ordered them and fixed it. I'd check it out and see if it's just a load order thing, and it'll tell you if it conflicts in the first place.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

What happened? The spiral clearly started long before that, he's got low-ranked soldiers fighting Archons. Just lots of near squad wipes?

edit: oh god it gets worse. so much worse.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 9, 2016

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I watched the first video halfway through, and to be quite honest he deserved whatever wipes he gets if he's playing like that on Ironman. A pod activates and scurries out of LoS, so his solution to that is to advance and overwatch?! Why the hell would you not just take a step back and catch them in overwatch traps? Unsurprisingly, he gets flanked and the dude panics. And then, I'm assuming he's played this before and it's not his first time, so he KNOWS there's infinite reinforcements once you repeatedly wipe the last pod, but he constantly sends in a melee ranger with less than 100% to pod-wipe with 3 guys. All the while commenting "this is eventually going to miss and it will suck". No poo poo. The fourth guy? Is meanwhile walking back to pick up a cadaver over half the map away, I stopped the video when he took his 4th sprint-move away from the LZ and still hadn't found him. That's like... ten turns to walk back, pod wiping every other turn five times in a row (with three men!)? I wasn't going to wait until he whiffs. Muppet.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Are you using the Alternative Mod Launcher? I had an issue with something loving with the Long War Perk Pack trees until I used that and it re-ordered them and fixed it. I'd check it out and see if it's just a load order thing, and it'll tell you if it conflicts in the first place.

Yeah, that's how I know where the conflict is to begin with. Seems like its working OK for now.

Something has made my geoscape fps tank though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Serephina posted:

I watched the first video halfway through, and to be quite honest he deserved whatever wipes he gets if he's playing like that on Ironman. A pod activates and scurries out of LoS, so his solution to that is to advance and overwatch?! Why the hell would you not just take a step back and catch them in overwatch traps? Unsurprisingly, he gets flanked and the dude panics. And then, I'm assuming he's played this before and it's not his first time, so he KNOWS there's infinite reinforcements once you repeatedly wipe the last pod, but he constantly sends in a melee ranger with less than 100% to pod-wipe with 3 guys. All the while commenting "this is eventually going to miss and it will suck". No poo poo. The fourth guy? Is meanwhile walking back to pick up a cadaver over half the map away, I stopped the video when he took his 4th sprint-move away from the LZ and still hadn't found him. That's like... ten turns to walk back, pod wiping every other turn five times in a row (with three men!)? I wasn't going to wait until he whiffs. Muppet.

The reinforcements actually stop coming but he also forgets where his guy died (he blames it on the corpse going away but I'm 99% sure that doesn't happen).

He seems to blame his poor play on lowly ranked soldiers but the second video linked above has him playing terribly.