Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if a card is bad, weird, or confusing theres absolutely a market for it. it's very similar to the appeal of mill decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If there's one thing I know about high level magic, it's that giving an opponent a choice is basically never a good thing. Especially a choice that is at best equitable, barring edge cases like getting 2 of the same combo pieces or something. And even then I don't think a creature combo deck like Abzan Company is going to run this over Collected Company or Chord. It's poop.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Weird card

A super ham fisted donate in green that will usually work against you? ok I guess.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

We did just see that 3 mana flicker.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

A super ham fisted donate in green that will usually work against you? ok I guess.

It's not even a donate since they can just choose not to take it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

It's not even a donate since they can just choose not to take it.

rofl I didnt even realize.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

Weird card

I think the idea is that this is a total build-around, but its mostly just superbad Collected Company. Like how do you build around your opponent getting the better of two creatures? When I first read it I didn't see it only exiled 2 creatures and thought that you could build around it, but no, your opponent just gets your best dude.

The fact that they put that the card is "dubious" in the title is funny though.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 9, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bonus posted:

That card is just very bad, in the sense that it's not even exciting for a casual player. I may be wrong, but even a casual player would think wtf, why would my opponent get to choose first?

lol if you think a casual player would even read the entire card

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
"hey guys I've got a great idea for a card: how about a donate effect that can miss?" - a professional magic card designer

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
That card definitely exists because they came up with the flavor first.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's not donate at all because they can choose not to have it. I guess it is just meant to combo with Homeward Path style effects. In standard you have Eldrazi Displacer.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The power level issue with this card isn't the symmetry, but that you need a high density of cards that you're okay with donating because you need two in the top ten cards of your deck. If it let it search your whole library, people would almost certainly find ways to break it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Pfft whatever I'm going flip emrakul and brooding saurian eat poo poo opponent

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

We all know it's going to somehow break standard, Rally-style.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

little munchkin posted:

"hey guys I've got a great idea for a card: how about a donate effect that can miss?" - a professional magic card designer

Should have been mythic.

odiv posted:

Sower and Emrakul? :D

Emergency ban coming.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 9, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think its a lot more likely that card is an apology card for Collected Company.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

That card definitely exists because they came up with the flavor first.

From reading their development blogs, it most likely did something good, but people were too worried that it would be broken. They didn't have the time or creativity to fix it, so they just throw up their hands and change it to be totally unplayable nonsense.

This is pretty often the case with head-scratchingly awful cards. Prism Array's activated ability was "return this card to your hand" instead of scry 3, but somehow people in development had trouble beating someone before they could assemble WWUUBBRRGG. Harmless offering used to be "donate a creature,, draw two cards" for two mana, but (lol) someone thought that would be too powerful. The combo with Demonic Pact was an after-the-fact justification.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I don't really mind Harmless Offering. Donate is perfect bad card that wins.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Harmless Offering is a color shifted version of a card that was legit broken back in its day, I don't know why people keep complaining about it.

Molybdenum posted:

Pfft whatever I'm going flip emrakul and brooding saurian eat poo poo opponent
Flickerwisp-style effects also work.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

Harmless offering used to be "donate a creature,, draw two cards" for two mana, but (lol) someone thought that would be too powerful. The combo with Demonic Pact was an after-the-fact justification.

Where did you see this? I don't remember reading about this at all.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Harmless Offering is a color shifted version of a card that was legit broken back in its day, I don't know why people keep complaining about it.

Trix was a fine combo deck but the real reason it was broken was because it was the best shell to run all the actually broken cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 9, 2016

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
^^ There's the card (NINJA EDIT)

Can't link but BlakePR on twitter just tweeted a new U/W 'mulldrifter' - 3UW Flying 2/2 Draw 2 Cards Gain 2 Life

Cloudblazer.

Not as good as Mull since no Evoke, but still good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wow Copter looks really good. If you can just drop a creature each turn to pay for its crew cost you're getting a lot of value.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
That is a great removal spell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wow Copter looks really good. If you can just drop a creature each turn to pay for its crew cost you're getting a lot of value.

Good enough to push Madness a bit?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Both the uncommons are going to be ridiculous in limited. And the kill spell is just straight up ridiculous for standard. I just wish we had it during the Hangarback Walker/Draconic Roar/Kolaghan standard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Donate was never broken.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

All three of those are great in limited and probably standard too, awesome. This is a great set.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Good enough to push Madness a bit?

If Flip Jace didn't make madness work, nothing will.

The problem isn't discard outlets, it's no good madness spells.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Toshimo posted:

Donate was never broken.

delusions of grandeur and donate were broken, necropotence was fine.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Good removal spell, but B/R is kind of lovely in constructed and who knows how good it is in limited but with cards like this, red seems real good in limited

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

I thought the unleashing of the invention fires inside everyone was the entire point of the inventor's fair?

What exactly is she rebelling against?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ShaneB posted:

If there's one thing I know about high level magic, it's that giving an opponent a choice is basically never a good thing. Especially a choice that is at best equitable, barring edge cases like getting 2 of the same combo pieces or something. And even then I don't think a creature combo deck like Abzan Company is going to run this over Collected Company or Chord. It's poop.

I am guessing it didn't have a target limit and hit less cards before it hit development.

End of Life Guy posted:

I thought the unleashing of the invention fires inside everyone was the entire point of the inventor's fair?

What exactly is she rebelling against?

I dunno, I guess Dovin Baan is like "invent poo poo; no don't invent that."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Consulate tried to kill her daughter because she could do fire magic and also burned a village of people alive in order to frame Chandra and also have tiny flying spies everywhere.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the idea is that this is a total build-around, but its mostly just superbad Collected Company. Like how do you build around your opponent getting the better of two creatures? When I first read it I didn't see it only exiled 2 creatures and thought that you could build around it, but no, your opponent just gets your best dude.

The fact that they put that the card is "dubious" in the title is funny though.

This card is really awkwardly worded. My reading of the card is that you look at ten cards, exile two of which the opponent can choose 1 for themselves, and then you put any creatures in the remaining 8 cards on the battlefield. There's almost certainly going to be an errata explaining this more clearly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No you exile up to 2 creatures, your opponent may have one then you get any they didn't take out of the exiled creatures. Thinking about it it's probably meant to combo with blink effects (you have Eldrazi Displacer, Long Road Home and Identity Thief in standard as ways to try and get both creatures).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 9, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Borachon posted:

This card is really awkwardly worded. My reading of the card is that you look at ten cards, exile two of which the opponent can choose 1 for themselves, and then you put any creatures in the remaining 8 cards on the battlefield. There's almost certainly going to be an errata explaining this more clearly.

It's clearly worded, it's just that what it does is bad.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Entropic posted:

It's clearly worded, it's just that what it does is bad.

Hmmm - Exile two, then shuffle, then they choose. Yeah, you're right, This is clear and clearly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This is sorcery speed and all, but it's really good

• Locked thread