Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Under the vegetable posted:

i dont like him because his whole gimmick and much of his personality is based on being straight edge, but he has a pepsi tattoo and drinks pepsi. which has caffeine in it. which is a drug. get it together dude..

U know what else has caffiene in it? me haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

IcePhoenix posted:

CM Punk made weight and Gall missed it.

lol

hahaha you don't know how that works.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

-Atom- posted:

Im sure he wont lose any sleep over it

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

-Atom- posted:

haha yeah, be a dick about it instead of telling them how it works

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

-Atom- posted:

A Bad Post

Sprecherscrow posted:

A rule about MMA weigh ins you probably don't know is that non-title fights have a "grace pound" so you can come in up to 1 lbs over and still be considered on weight. Gall came in at 170.5 so he made weight.

A Good Post (from the UFC gameday thread when I asked about Gall missing weight)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bradzilla posted:

haha yeah, be a dick about it instead of telling them how it works

it's atom what do you expect?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
CM Punk was having such a hard weight cut that he took off an extra pound for fun.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Josuke Higashikata posted:

it's atom what do you expect?

a toxx bet

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

schweens posted:

a toxx bet

lol

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

A Bad Post

A Good Post (from the UFC gameday thread when I asked about Gall missing weight)

:glomp:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope CM Punk beats up Mickie Gall so bad he quits MMA and waits tables for the rest of his life. I want Punk to continue in his MMA career knowing the shame of crushing someone else's dreams.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

what time will Punk's fight go off? i got a soccer game to play in but i'd really like to see the look on his face after he takes a punch to it

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Efexeye posted:

what time will Punk's fight go off? i got a soccer game to play in but i'd really like to see the look on his face after he takes a punch to it

Main card starts at 10 Eastern, and he's scheduled to go on 3rd fight, so around 11.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sprecherscrow posted:

Main card starts at 10 Eastern, and he's scheduled to go on 3rd fight, so around 11.

poo poo, im on the west coast, that's gonna be close. thanks :tipshat:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Some straight edge people don't gently caress either. I am guessing he is one of the variants that is okay with that too.

I know some straight edge people don't have premarital sex, but I've never heard of straight edge people who just don't gently caress at all, and the city I lived in for 15 years had a huge straight edge population. A few of them were even my friends because they weren't judgmental about me doing drugs all day every day.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There were those weird Youth Crew vegan religious people, but even other straight-edge kids were weirded out by them.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
Good for CM Punk giving this a go, but I think the Cinderella story narrative they are going with is a bit much.

Punk also said during the press conference that it is never too late to start and if you think so he's "sorry your dreams are so small". Most 37 year old MMA fans do not have the ability to quit their full time job, immerse themselves in MMA for 2 years, get a spot on a UFC PPV and pay to be trained at the level he's been trained at.

Butthurt wrestling fans are a little dramatic saying he turned his back on them, but the guy comes off as a jerk when he gets annoyed when people ask him about the WWE. None of this dream his is experiencing would be possible if it wasn't for wrestling.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

RagingHematoma posted:

Good for CM Punk giving this a go, but I think the Cinderella story narrative they are going with is a bit much.

Punk also said during the press conference that it is never too late to start and if you think so he's "sorry your dreams are so small". Most 37 year old MMA fans do not have the ability to quit their full time job, immerse themselves in MMA for 2 years, get a spot on a UFC PPV and pay to be trained at the level he's been trained at.

Butthurt wrestling fans are a little dramatic saying he turned his back on them, but the guy comes off as a jerk when he gets annoyed when people ask him about the WWE. None of this dream his is experiencing would be possible if it wasn't for wrestling.

Yeah he seems like kind of a dick about that stuff. Also when he made fun of Mickey gall for making less money than him, imo you cant be a straight edge punk guy but also brag about being a millionaire and make fun of poor people, but maybe its just all part of his 'character' idk. Id probably be a dick too if i had to deal with wrestling fans for years

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

So what's everyone's prediction for Punk's disclosed pay? I know it's a long shot but I wouldn't be totally surprised to see him at 10/10 like the other newbies, but plus points. Does Ohio even disclose fighter pay?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

manyak posted:

Id probably be a dick too if i had to deal with wrestling fans for years

He had a stalker who used to go through his trash bins every day looking for something he had once touched. I think if I had to put up with that I would be even more of a dick.

Or alternatively I would be James Thompson

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Skinty McEdger posted:

He had a stalker who used to go through his trash bins every day looking for something he had once touched. I think if I had to put up with that I would be even more of a dick.

lol

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Andy Dufresne posted:

So what's everyone's prediction for Punk's disclosed pay? I know it's a long shot but I wouldn't be totally surprised to see him at 10/10 like the other newbies, but plus points. Does Ohio even disclose fighter pay?

The ufc contracts that have made it to the public only pay out points if it's the main or co-main event

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Skinty McEdger posted:

WWE sells ring-used gear for charity on auction on their website

Most stuff goes for pretty cheap but two creepy guys who will literally get into bidding wars over Paige's stuff for thousands of dollars

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Andy Dufresne posted:

dude's worth $7.5 million so i assume he's fine with the minimum

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If there's one thing universally true about rich arrogant guys, it's that they never want more money like they're gunning for some fiscal high score and they're always perfectly happy with getting paid the bottom of a pay scale

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I present this Trillion Dollar Bill to our richest, and therefore most trustworthy citizen, Charles Montgomery Punk

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Street Horrrsing posted:

The ufc contracts that have made it to the public only pay out points if it's the main or co-main event

So you're saying you think CM Punk signed a standard UFC contract?

Bluedeanie posted:

If there's one thing universally true about rich arrogant guys, it's that they never want more money like they're gunning for some fiscal high score and they're always perfectly happy with getting paid the bottom of a pay scale

You may be on to something, but rich athletes and entertainers are pretty universally dumb with money compared to other rich arrogant guys.

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 9, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bluedeanie posted:

Punk's probably getting a decent payday but I also don't think he's that kind of arrogant, hehe. It's definitely not 10k/10k tho.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The odds of Punk getting a straight 10/10 are about equal to the odds of him getting PPV points - 0%

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

fatherdog posted:

The odds of Punk getting a straight 10/10 are about equal to the odds of him getting PPV points - 0%

Pretty surprised by this. Why do you think Punk isn't getting PPV points?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Andy Dufresne posted:

Pretty surprised by this. Why do you think Punk isn't getting PPV points?

Because there's no reason to think the UFC would offer them, and no reason to think he would have insisted on them.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

I guess I disagree, the entire reason he was brought on was to draw in fans so it makes perfect sense to pay him based on that.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

fatherdog posted:

Because there's no reason to think the UFC would offer them, and no reason to think he would have insisted on them.

Even beyond this, he would be acting very differently about all of this if his compensation were tied to buy rates (i.e. actually saying things to promote the fight beyond "I'm not going to talk people into the arena" followed by a few of the most garden variety statements on how Gall has fought nobodies.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Andy Dufresne posted:

I guess I disagree, the entire reason he was brought on was to draw in fans so it makes perfect sense to pay him based on that.

He's not getting points because he's not the main or co-main.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
CM Punk already won via Anaconda Vise you guys need to get over it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Andy Dufresne posted:

He's not maining or co maining, why would he get points

Was getting his own show not enough

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I can't wait for him to piss hot

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

He's not maining or co maining, why would he get points

Was getting his own show not enough

I forgot about the ancient stone tablets with "Main or co-main get points" carved in. Good thing UFC hasn't done anything else unorthodox for this fight to happen

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Andy Dufresne posted:

You are drastically overestimating Punk's value to the UFC if you think he's getting PPV points for a non-main/co-main appearance.

EDIT:

Andy Dufresne posted:

I forgot about the ancient stone tablets with "Main or co-main get points" carved in. Good thing UFC hasn't done anything else unorthodox for this fight to happen

Every contract they've done, including guys they were bending over backwards and making special dispensation for to get ahold of (for example poaching Overeem out of the Strikeforce GP), has still had the main-co-main language. Again, if you think they're making that kind of exception for Punk, you have drastically overestimated both his value and the degree to which the UFC cares about him.

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

He's literally the top promoted fighter on the card. He's the first segment in every embedded. He was given a reality television show. I'm not making any claims that Punk's going to draw but UFC clearly thinks he's going to do more than the main and co-main.

• Locked thread