Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
In retrospect it's good that Batman is such an 8 year old regarding girls because otherwise you'd have nerds defending that one time he date raped someone or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait 8 year olds consistently have casual sex to fill up the part of their lives where they attempt to excercise standard social behavior before going out on a Justice spree?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Barudak posted:

Wait 8 year olds consistently have casual sex to fill up the part of their lives where they attempt to excercise standard social behavior before going out on a Justice spree?

Batman is not Bruce Wayne.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SpiritOfLenin posted:

My brain just loving broke when I read this. You want Batman with flaws, but you don't want Batman with the flaws in BvS - you want Batman with specific flaws.

I loved BvS. If I didn't love it I wouldn't discuss it so much. Since it's obvious you have read none of my posts, I'll re-iterate my points

1) A Batman who kills is less interesting than a Batman who doesn't kill.
2) It doesn't make any sense for a Batman who kills to leave someone like Joker alive.
3) In 99% of Batman media, Batman is allowed to operate as a vigilante specifically because he doesn't kill, and it is stated in no uncertain terms that if he ever were to kill, Commissioner Gordon himself would take the Bat down.

All of you are being silly. So I shouldn't like Bruce Wayne: Fugitive because I don't philosophically agree with the main character's actions? So in that case I should never read The Punisher.

computer parts posted:

In retrospect it's good that Batman is such an 8 year old regarding girls because otherwise you'd have nerds defending that one time he date raped someone or whatever.

This is in response to nothing and nobody. You're just being an rear end in a top hat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ah sorry thought you were going for Batman as the collective name for both of them rather than the specific batman persona.

All Bruce Waynes are batmans but not all batmans are Bruce Waynes

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

All of you are being silly. So I shouldn't like Bruce Wayne: Fugitive because I don't philosophically agree with the main character's actions?

The problem is that you do seem to philosophically agree with them.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

computer parts posted:

The problem is that you do seem to philosophically agree with them.

Based on what? The fact that I enjoyed reading the Bruce Wayne: Fugitive story arc? How dare I?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

computer parts posted:

Yeah, BvS couldn't stand up to

Who has an illegitimate son and them names him, "LEX LUTHOR II"? Not exactly flying under the radar with the cheating, Lex Senior.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Based on what? The fact that I enjoyed reading the Bruce Wayne: Fugitive story arc? How dare I?

The fact that you did a spirited defense of "how Batman should be" and that you only had negative things to say about that story when called out on it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

computer parts posted:

The fact that you did a spirited defense of "how Batman should be" and that you only had negative things to say about that story when called out on it.

I've only ever been against Batman killing people. That's it. My ultimate point is that I believe BvS would be a better movie if Batman were portrayed in this way. After all, if Superman had killed as many people as Batman did, then Batman would be justified in his crusade. How many people has Batman killed before BvS? At what point do you become a mass murderer?

computer parts posted:

And that's bad.

No, killing is bad. Do you enjoy watching people die?

edit: I'm not going to post about this anymore, don't worry guys.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 9, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I've only ever been against Batman killing people. That's it.

And that's bad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

How many people has Batman killed before BvS?

0, he killed 0 people.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

What's fascinating about this is that when you argue in the defense of a story with the sustained emotional abuse and neglect of children and young adults by a trusted father figure, you're enjoying a narrative about a flawed hero with clear awareness that this doesn't mean child abuse is actually good; but when he argues in the defense of a story with killing, you assume he has to be viscerally enjoying the crime in question uncritically, and viewing the performance of it as an endorsement.

Well, maybe "fascinating" is the wrong word.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I never said I was OK with abuse or whatever. Multiple people have said they are OK with killing. Also you may or may not have noticed, but computer parts isn't actually making an argument or defending a point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Personally I don't count shooting the flamethrower as a kill because it only explodes if the criminal pulls the trigger, so that's on him.

The vehicular homicide, hrs a billionaire celebrity and all billionaire celebrities get free passes on vehicular homicide.

A guy pulls a grenade and is about to throw it, and Batman knocks it out of his hand with a well placed boomerang, I also don't place that on Batman. Shouldn't be loving playing with grenades indoors.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

I never said I was OK with abuse or whatever.

I never said you were okay with "abuse or whatever." In fact I specifically said you were not. That was my point.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Yeah.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

A guy pulls a grenade and is about to throw it, and Batman knocks it out of his hand with a well placed boomerang, I also don't place that on Batman. Shouldn't be loving playing with grenades indoors.

This one cracks me up. He was totally cool with killing 2-3 of co-workers just to get the Batman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Are there any kills I missed? A lot of people treat the dream vision add if Batman were actually killing people. But come on.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Are there any kills I missed? A lot of people treat the dream vision add if Batman were actually killing people. But come on.

The batwing mows down those cars with PMC dudes firing out the windows, not sure if you counted that in the vehicular point tho.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

greatn posted:

You missed dude getting mollywhopped by the crate

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

You missed dude getting mollywhopped by the crate

He's just taking a nap. He'll be fine.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 9, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah that dude is as dead as Bulk and Skull when they fall into a pie or something. No one anywhere in any movie ever got killed by a crate.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Batman also grabs a guys arm and directs his machine gun fire across the whole room. His fingers not on the trigger so doesn't count though.

I wonder if Batman is like an Orthodox Jew hiring someone else to push elevator buttons on Shabbat or something, looking for loopholes to trick God/his code.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

From the way it bounces off him, that's a styofoam crate and the guy's just being dramatic.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

Batman also grabs a guys arm and directs his machine gun fire across the whole room. His fingers not on the trigger so doesn't count though.

This one the movie actually makes a point to show that no one dies. The guy hanging upside is behind Batman and the goon as they fire the gun in front of them, and it cuts to the henchmen all hitting the floor to avoid bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyVPh3Usrho&t=121s

Squinty posted:

From the way it bounces off him, that's a styofoam crate and the guy's just being dramatic.

There wasn't time to get the dev's to code in wood shatter physics. Maybe next game.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

This one the movie actually makes a point to show that no one dies. The guy hanging upside is behind Batman and the goon as they fire the gun in front of them, and it cuts to the henchmen all hitting the floor to avoid bullets.

Yeah, I was going to say, that is the one point in the fight they clearly show that Batman uses the gun fire to scatter the guys and make them hit the floor. You can argue "well if the guys weren't fast enough Batman could have totally blown their brains out" but then at that point you get into the territory of "well if Batman knocks a guy to the ground he could hit his head and go into a coma and die"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Terrible Horse posted:

I wonder if Batman is like an Orthodox Jew hiring someone else to push elevator buttons on Shabbat or something, looking for loopholes to trick God/his code.

It's like if a guy is jacking off and I'm the one moving his arm technically I'm not doing anything sexual.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There should be a Soccer ref in every fight scene of this version of Batman. That way we will know he did nothing that bad and the bad guys are over reacting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if, during the end credits, we have a scene of Batman visiting all these guys in the hospital and shaking their hands so the audience understands he wasn't actually killing them, and this is just their jobs.

Violator
May 15, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Watching that scene critically for the first time for a death count, the only evil Blackwater-esque terrorists who are literally kidnapping and murdering innocent civilians that die are the (1) guy who drops the grenade, (2) the guy with the flame thrower, and probably (3) the guy with the giant gun who is in the same room as the flamethrower. A lot of people get seriously messed up with cracked skulls, broken limbs, and compound fractures but that's like T2's "Death Count... 0" scene where they don't technically die.

I might just be a monster, though, because I find stuff like Casey Jone's "Ooooops!" when he activates the trash compactor on Shredder in the original TMNT movie hilarious. :(

MacheteZombie posted:

0, he killed 0 people.

Yeah, isn't the whole point of the movie that Batman has started killing people and he's going too far?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well the shredder survived, Casey Jones hands are clean.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Violator posted:

Yeah, isn't the whole point of the movie that Batman has started killing people and he's going too far?

Not really, because he's down to kill more. The point is that he's dropped the fig leaf. He's not protecting and serving, he's at war.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

This makes no sense. That crate would hit Batman in the back, not fly over his head.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bolding mine. This is the thing. Alfred specifically calls Batman out for this.

Yaws posted:

This makes no sense. That crate would hit Batman in the back, not fly over his head.

And men can't fly in real life.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

And men can't fly in real life.

Sure we can. It's called an airplane.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

greatn posted:

Shouldn't be loving playing with grenades indoors.

Shouldn't be loving playing criminal when there's a man who is going to come in and stop you by whatever means prevent you from murdering him in the process.

Thinking Batman should throw every single punch uniquely based on the fragility of who is going to be hit is psychotic as it inherently implies the lives of criminals are more valuable than those of others as they're going to be bad, can't and shouldn't do anything about that if if jeopardizes their life, yet the good guys should only be permitted to live or die chained to moral limitations.

Seems to me Batman is simply too strong a character for some particularly weak members of the audience.

Violator
May 15, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Bolding mine. This is the thing. Alfred specifically calls Batman out for this.

Yeah, but at the end of the movie isn't it the idea that he's been inspired by Superman to go from a Dick Cheney war monger destroying the "other" to be more calculated and thoughtful? He's not building bigger death machines, he's assembling a team to handle things more elegantly? (Or, ha, do his killing for him.)

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Yaws posted:

Also there was a guy lying ontop of the crate in the first two shots, but he disappears when Batman flings it. Clearly this is a dream sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you want to take Batman out of the pseudo-40's and bring him into modern day, that's how you do it. Just keep him as the same guy that donates to police athletic leagues and pledges alliegance to the law and all that, but just behaves like, has the mentality and open support of a modern day Gotham City cop.

• Locked thread