Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Has anyone tried the multi-lingual keyboard stuff in iOS 10 yet? Does it work with languages with different writing systems?

Don't know about systems but I'm enjoying being able to type in Spanglish and have the keyboard pick up on it pretty effortlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Any reviewers that held the new 7 comment on the slipperiness of it? Did they change it from the 6? Considering going caseless with the AUP but don't want slipperiness to be a problem.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Huh, the fine print also mentions some trade in value for Android phones. I wonder if they'd take both my 6S and HTC One M7 for a total of $750... Really tempting.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don't know about systems but I'm enjoying being able to type in Spanglish and have the keyboard pick up on it pretty effortlessly.

Nice. I hope it works just as well with German and English. That's the one thing I miss most when not using SwiftKey.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Some upgrade plan info:

"Easiest" way (if you live near an Apple Store) to do upgrade program by the way is to purchase the phone outright for any carrier (Except I think Sprint?) and then bring it to the Apple Store (or buy it right at the store) and have them return it and resell it to you on upgrade program. This helps you get around the whole "Oh we only sell these phones over here for AT&T and these ones over here for Verizon" bullshit.

My iPhone is a Verizon phone but I'm on AT&T and actually signed up for the plan while on T-Mobile. You can move around as much as you want once you get the phone.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

TraderStav posted:

Any reviewers that held the new 7 comment on the slipperiness of it? Did they change it from the 6? Considering going caseless with the AUP but don't want slipperiness to be a problem.

It's the same size as the 6S/6 with the exception of an even larger camera bump for both the 7 and 7+ (7 gets OIS, 7+ the dual camera lenses). Gruber posted last night that the jet black finishing isn't more slippery than the other style; if anything it's more grippy (as you get fingerprints all over your glossy surface).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
How long until the next rumour mill so I can get excited about the iPhone 7S (still thinking they might mark the 10th anniversary with a rename to Apple Phone or at least something that isn't an S name)?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

7s is going to eliminate the dock connector. Also speakers, to charge or hear anything you'll need W1 certified peripherals.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Why can't I pre-order an unlocked, SIM-free 7? Do I have to wait until the actual release to do that or what

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

7s is going to eliminate the dock connector. Also speakers, to charge or hear anything you'll need W1 certified peripherals.
Just replace my actual eardrums with W1 chips.

edit: Testing now but I still don't think the "People" auto-albums get synced between devices for when you add names or merge faces.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 9, 2016

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
It's worth noting that doing AUP again requires an additional credit pull. Hard pulls, such as this one, stay on your account for around two years. As hosed up as it is, you can only have about 3 credit pulls on your credit report before you're "dinged" (more like a dong). So if you're thinking about buying something big that is credit related, you might want to keep this in mind.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I decided to check out the delivery dates when upgrading through ATT this morning and they quoted the matte black 128gb 7+ as shipping between Sept 23-30 as compared to the order I made through Apple that said between October 4-10. I went ahead and cancelled my order through Apple and am excited it will arrive a week earlier.

If you have ATT it may be worth it to check that out instead. I think the Rose Gold 128's were still showing September 16 hard date so if you don't mind the pink phone and white face, that's a good choice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Weedle posted:

Why can't I pre-order an unlocked, SIM-free 7? Do I have to wait until the actual release to do that or what

Probably to discourage scalpers

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So if I get a Sprint phone on the upgrade program I can switch it to Verizon right?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

MarcusSA posted:

So if I get a Sprint phone on the upgrade program I can switch it to Verizon right?
Yes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok thanks.

It looks like the store is still kinda hosed. I am going through the process and getting page errors.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
Does anyone know if I’d be able to use the case from my 6 on the 7, at least as a stopgap until the better non-Apple cases start coming out?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

TransatlanticFoe posted:

Does anyone know if I’d be able to use the case from my 6 on the 7, at least as a stopgap until the better non-Apple cases start coming out?

There is only one case to use. The Apple Saddle Brown case.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I ranted here about how cases are stupid and then I broke my screen so I called myself stupid and bought Saddle Brown.

Then I started a new job, and I was in a meeting, and my boss puts his iPhone on the table at the same time as me. Saddle Brown. We exchanged knowing looks. I can get away with anything now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MarcusSA posted:

As long as sprint will unlock it.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Don Lapre posted:

As long as sprint will unlock it.
It should come unlocked, depending on what he meant by "upgrade program".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pivo posted:

I ranted here about how cases are stupid and then I broke my screen so I called myself stupid and bought Saddle Brown.

Then I started a new job, and I was in a meeting, and my boss puts his iPhone on the table at the same time as me. Saddle Brown. We exchanged knowing looks. I can get away with anything now.

Hello next Vice President of your company.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Now that I’m on the iPhone upgrade program and next year’s phone is a big question mark, I’m less inclined to drop $45 on a phone case.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

TransatlanticFoe posted:

Now that I’m on the iPhone upgrade program and next year’s phone is a big question mark, I’m less inclined to drop $45 on a phone case.

Just lol if you aren't dropping hundreds on accessories yearly.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

TransatlanticFoe posted:

It's basically a pocket CPU man, what do you think this is, 2001?

Bill Barber fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 9, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey so I wasn't paying attention to "getting on ios10 early" because I was going to save my "FULL EXPERIENCE" for when I received my new iPhone next week. But now that my 7+ isn't coming for a few weeks, I kinda wanna tinker with iOS10 now. I read a bit about 10.0.1 throwing a kink in that.

Is there ANY way, without serious hurdles or costing me developer program money, I can get on the GM release today?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Feenix posted:

Hey so I wasn't paying attention to "getting on ios10 early" because I was going to save my "FULL EXPERIENCE" for when I received my new iPhone next week. But now that my 7+ isn't coming for a few weeks, I kinda wanna tinker with iOS10 now. I read a bit about 10.0.1 throwing a kink in that.

Is there ANY way, without serious hurdles or costing me developer program money, I can get on the GM release today?
:filez:

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Feenix posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/comments/4q3f47/official_ota_update_profile_for_ios_betas/

Just go there on your phone's browser, install the profile, restart, and you'll get the software update OTA. Nice and painless.

E: Apple had a public beta program this year too that's open to whoever if you want to sign up here it just takes more steps to get to the profile installed this way https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

comper fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 9, 2016

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Feenix posted:

no, and I can tell you as someone with the GM that you're not missing anything. None of the cool features like the messaging changes and such are useful until it's released to the public at large

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm giving my 6s to the Mrs when my 7 arrives. Can anyone recommend a good bumper case for the 6s as she's a clumsy moron and has broke all 3 I've passed on previously. Griffin survivor core but with a non scratch plastic would be good if such a thing exists? Any help much appreciated!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If i sign up for Public Beta, can I get off of it at some point and get back onto regular releases?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

TransatlanticFoe posted:

Same, I'm figure since I'm just leasing the phone might as well rawdog.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Feenix posted:

If i sign up for Public Beta, can I get off of it at some point and get back onto regular releases?

Yes, by removing the profile (that you download to get the beta) it will have you "update" back to iOS 9.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shillary posted:

If you gently caress it up you'll have to pay the Applecare deductible when you trade up though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lblitzer posted:

Yes, by removing the profile (that you download to get the beta) it will have you "update" back to iOS 9.

Huh I am following instructions on IOS 10 beta and I get to the page where I select IOS or OSX and on the IOS tab there is NOT a Download button. (I'm on my phone...)

[edit) Nevermind, found out where. Instructions left out a click/step...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shillary posted:

Pretty sure you still have to pay for it if you break it.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

what screen protectors are you goons using? I bought a cheap $8 2 pack glass from Spigen but it's probably gonna fit like poo poo.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

glassyalabolas posted:

what screen protectors are you goons using? I bought a cheap $8 2 pack glass from Spigen but it's probably gonna fit like poo poo.
lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

glassyalabolas posted:

None.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

glassyalabolas posted:

Buy whatever the cheapest glass protector there is that is "2.5d" (means it has rounded edges)