Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Lol if you don't go naked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I don't get why this is funny. Glass protectors are the poo poo.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
So I've never waited in line on release day, because preordering, but since I want to get a Verizon phone and am in ATT, that might be my only choice. How bad were lines last year? Is it still a cluster gently caress? I really don't want to camp out for hours.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Glass screen protectors are great and if you do not agree then you are dumb and have scratches on your phone.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Don Lapre posted:

Glass screen protectors are great and if you do not agree then you are dumb and have scratches on your phone.
Hmm, nope.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've never had a single screen scratch on any of my iphones without a protector, and they get thrown around a ton.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
No screen protector, no battery percentage, saddle brown leather case.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

the poi posted:

So I've never waited in line on release day, because preordering, but since I want to get a Verizon phone and am in ATT, that might be my only choice. How bad were lines last year? Is it still a cluster gently caress? I really don't want to camp out for hours.

idk I hung outside my local Apple Store for about 2-3 hours last time I hung out for a phone without pre-ordering? I guess I got there at like 5-6am, they opened at like 8am, it was a small store in a relatively small-sized city (200k pop). I basically just brought my laptop and watched a movie and talked to some people in the crowd. This was years ago though when I got my 5.

Now I'm in a city of a metro pop of 6mil and 3 Apple Stores and I don't even know what I would recommend in that situation. In New York people camp out overnight on 5th Ave ya? It depends on where you are.

Honestly, dude... It's not worth it. I guess it's fun to talk to people and be part of "the experience" of spending shitloads of money -_-, but you can wait a few weeks, can't you? I just can't see myself doing it again, and I recommend against it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My area is pretty packed, but last year I literally walked into an AT&T store and talked to a dude and walked out with a 6S with no issue at all. Took maybe 10 mintues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess I'm going saddle brown since Apple decided to make orange silicone only available for a brief period of time for smart people.*sigh*

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah when I bought my 4 I was in Vancouver and I just drove over to the mall when it opened, walked to one of the kiosks and was out with a phone in about 20min. But it was my carrier's kiosk, so the phone was locked. If you want an unlocked one, you 'muricans have to go to Verizon or Apple right? No other option? Apple's gonna be packed. But Verizon might have a booth somewhere stocked and empty. That being said - will VZ sell you a phone without a plan? I don't know. *shrug* I'm just saying, get there a few hours early, if you're going to a fruit stand. But no need to camp out overnight.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

the poi posted:

Depends where you're from. Last time I waited was for the 5S and I was behind a large family of Chinese people and when they came out to give out the reservation coupons (limit 2 per person), they brought out like 4 toddlers from their car and got 8 more coupons on top of their already 8 and bought the entire stock out. When I went to the next closest Apple store there was another large family of Chinese doing the exact same thing. So... Get there first I guess.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

I guess I'm going saddle brown since Apple decided to make orange silicone only available for a brief period of time for smart people.*sigh*

Tim finally read my emails and took my suggestion to axe the orange silicone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pivo posted:

Yeah when I bought my 4 I was in Vancouver and I just drove over to the mall when it opened, walked to one of the kiosks and was out with a phone in about 20min. But it was my carrier's kiosk, so the phone was locked. If you want an unlocked one, you 'muricans have to go to Verizon or Apple right? No other option? Apple's gonna be packed. But Verizon might have a booth somewhere stocked and empty. That being said - will VZ sell you a phone without a plan? I don't know. *shrug* I'm just saying, get there a few hours early, if you're going to a fruit stand. But no need to camp out overnight.

No carrier will sell you a phone without a plan. Well, prepaid ones *might* but otherwise you need to go to an Apple Store.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Depends where you're from. Last time I waited was for the 5S and I was behind a large family of Chinese people and when they came out to give out the reservation coupons (limit 2 per person), they brought out like 4 toddlers from their car and got 8 more coupons on top of their already 8 and bought the entire stock out. When I went to the next closest Apple store there was another large family of Chinese doing the exact same thing. So... Get there first I guess.

Thanks for letting us know they were Chinese, that's extremely relevant to the topic at hand

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Weedle posted:

Thanks for letting us know they were Chinese, that's extremely relevant to the topic at hand
The iPhone is actually the reason for the child limit restrictions in mainland China. People were trying the ol' toddler trick with 10+ kids at the local Apple store before the government put a stop to it. Naturally they've since migrated to the US.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Weedle posted:

Sorry you're offended but it's definitely a thing. they show up to apple stores and buy out the stock on release day and then send it back to China where they resell it for like 400% the price.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Sorry you're offended but it's definitely a thing. they show up to apple stores and buy out the stock on release day and then send it back to China where they resell it for like 400% the price.
His point is that it's not at all relevant to the story. The key portion is that it was a large family. Their ethnicity doesn't change anything at all.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Okay.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

His point is that it's not at all relevant to the story. The key portion is that it was a large family. Their ethnicity doesn't change anything at all.

This is a known thing that happens with people from China. They make profits while also pissing off goons by buying more than they need

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Endless Mike posted:

Lol that's the entire point because apple doesn't sell them in China so Chinese people in America with connections in China by them and send them back to China.

Jfc dude their ethnicity is the most salient point of the whole story.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So I was apparently super tired by the time I was able to make Verizon's page work (after 1AM) and got a jet black 7+ instead of a matte black.

Now my delivery date is in loving November because apparently that color is either rare or backordered, and you can't change the order without cancelling it.

I could not give less of a gently caress about the jet black, it's going directly into an Apple leather case anyways so who cares, but now I'm afraid to cancel the order... even the matte black may be backordered as poo poo at this point.

Sigh. Does anyone know what the backorder situation is like at Verizon for 7+ right now?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
2 pack of screen protectors for $3 shipped prime

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K28V91S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just add in a game preorder and then cancel the game after the protectors ship.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If this year is anything like previous years, you'll get your phone close to launch. Apple wouldn't really delay a phone until November and I highly doubt that anyone has ever preordered within the first week to only to get a phone 2 months after initial launch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The crush of demand for new phones is much lower now than it was in the "line up outside the store overnight" days. You'll probably be able to get exactly what you want within a week of launch, assuming you don't get it day of.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

xzzy posted:

The crush of demand for new phones is much lower now than it was in the "line up outside the store overnight" days. You'll probably be able to get exactly what you want within a week of launch, assuming you don't get it day of.
lol no

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got my 6s last fall on launch day with no stress whatsoever. :iiam:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

xzzy posted:

I got my 6s last fall on launch day with no stress whatsoever. :iiam:
I mean, yeah the most common version is going to be extremely easy to get, but lol if you think anyone is gonna get a Plus before October 25th if they haven't already pre-ordered.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
When the 6 came out in 2014 I went to the apple store in Burlington, Ontario on day two and lined up for maybe 20-30 minutes. It was pretty easy.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
You definitely need a screen protector if you are planning on doing things like taking your phone into the weights area in the gym or have a tendency to accidentally put it next to your keys your pocket.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lichy posted:

You definitely need a screen protector if you are planning on doing things like taking your phone into the weights area in the gym or have a tendency to accidentally put it next to your keys your pocket.

Pfft, my phone never goes into my pocket at the gym. I'm sitting on a bench near the free weights texting my bros about how I'm about to get a killer pump.

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games
My cats inevitably find a way to step on my phone screen and leave a nice scratch. I hate screen protectors, but have resorted to using them for this sole purpose.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Lichy posted:

Keys arn't what scratches screens. its poo poo like dirt/sand in your pocket.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Are there good alternatives to the Apple Pods?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

obi_ant posted:

There's a beats headset that is the only other option on the market. It will probably be a couple months before the usual suspects start selling W1 headphones.

Or just buy a nice pair of bluetooth headphones, there's zillions to choose from.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

obi_ant posted:

Cut the cable off your apple earbuds

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Don Lapre posted:

Cut the cable off your apple earbuds
I used to do this with my old earbuds because I largely used a one-ear setup at work and hated the other headphone just dangling down all the time.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Lichy posted:

I've kept my iPhone 6 in my pocket with my keys 90% of the time I go anywhere for 2 years. It has no screen protector and no scratches.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 9, 2016

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Bill Barber posted:

I used to do this with my old earbuds because I largely used a one-ear setup at work and hated the other headphone just dangling down all the time.

Do you wear the same pants every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol that's the entire point because apple doesn't sell them in China so Chinese people in America with connections in China by them and send them back to China.

Jfc dude their ethnicity is the most salient point of the whole story.
I'm well aware that it's a thing, but their ethnicity is not important at all unless you believe it would be a perfectly acceptable practice if a white family did the same thing.