Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
My review of Lurkey's Chud is up at Eruditorium and you fine people are credited at the end. Obviously further conclusive evidence that Cultural Marxism was invented on the LF forum at SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

there wolf posted:

Is this a joke? Kovoth isn't literally telling Ambrose to go rape a woman. He's pointing out that what Ambrose is doing is forcing himself on a woman, and he's deliberately doing it where his victim is discouraged or unable to defend herself by making a scene. It's the way actual sexual predators act and it's loving refreshing to see any novel, much less a fantasy one, call that poo poo out.

yeah, but it's done in exactly the same way a reddit niceguy does claims to have done

he even bows for chrissakes

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I read most of The Ambassadors by Henry James, and agree with this review:

quote:

From now on, when someone tells me that a book is "bad", I will ask if they've read The Ambassadors. If they answer in the negative, I will say, "gently caress you, then. You do not have the right to apply the label 'bad' to a book. You do not know what 'bad' writing is."

He keeps adding dependent clauses and prepositional phrases and conjunctions to pad out his sentences to the point where they don't mean anything. And he doesn't let up. No pacing. Just one miserable sentence after another. And sometimes, at random, there will be quotation marks. That would normally imply that a character is speaking, but his characters don't really speak with any voices, they just drone on like they are in a Henry James novel. You have to sometimes look to the top of a paragraph to remind yourself who is speaking. They are all alike.

Halfway through (literally - I wrote a table with percentages in increments of 10% so at any moment I could tell how far I had to go) the book got a little interesting, just for a page or two. An interesting little plot twist occurred. So the book is flawed even in its imperfection. Because of those two pages, it is only the worst novel that exists, not the worst novel that could possibly exist.

I'm afraid you don't believe me. First of all, in 1903 two chapters were reversed. It was a blatant error. The chapter that took place in the evening was followed by the one that took place in the morning. In the former chapter, a character referred to a conversation that hadn't happened yet.

A horrible error you think, right? Henry James fans would be complaining and yelling, right? Well, it remained unnoticed for FIFTY YEARS. You heard me; for half a century scholars were talking about and analyzing this book, forcing students to read it, and never noticed that two of the chapters were in the wrong order. The error was finally noticed by a Stanford Undergraduate, Robert Young, in 1950. Literary James scholars were anxious to get a quotation from this brilliant young man who had made such a significant discovery. What words of praise for James would their new hero give them for posterity? Let's quote Robert Young: "There must be something radically wrong with a writing style that has managed to obscure an error of this magnitude for so many years from the probing eyes of innumerable readers, publishers, editors, critics, and even the author himself."

http://personal.dougshaw.com/ReviewsTop100/review27.html

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Phyzzle posted:

those loving ivory tower liberals :argh::argh::argh::argh:

"Now I'm just a simple country book reviewer" reviews are the worst

The Vosgian Beast has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Sep 9, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

People having hang ups against the books they had to read in school is so weird

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Saddest Rhino posted:

People say English classes destroyed their love of literature, but I've never met anyone who said this whose love of literature ever extended far beyond Goosebumps and Dragonlance.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I picked up "The Ambassadors", oddly, at an airport bookstore. I was moving to another country, and right here was a famous book about moving to another country. I gave it a few chances, but I am now moved to add after so much insistence on the scenic side of my labour that I have found the steps of re-perusal almost as much waylaid here by quite another style of effort in the same signal interest—or have in other words not failed to note how, even so associated and so discriminated, the finest proprieties and charms of the non-scenic may, under the right hand for them, still keep their intelligibility and assert their office. Infinitely suggestive such an observation as this last on the whole delightful head, where representation is concerned, of possible variety, of effective expressional change and contrast. One would like, at such an hour as this, for critical licence, to go into the matter of the noted inevitable deviation (from too fond an original vision) that the exquisite treachery even of the straightest execution may ever be trusted to inflict even on the most mature plan—the case being that, though one's last reconsidered production always seems to bristle with that particular evidence, "The Ambassadors" would place a flood of such light at my service.

It was not very good.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The Vosgian Beast posted:

People say English classes destroyed their love of literature, but I've never met anyone who said this whose love of literature ever extended far beyond Goosebumps and Dragonlance.
I say it because having to write critical papers about the books I enjoyed reading tended to suck all the fun out of them. I enjoyed *reading* books - not reading and writing stuffy critical papers about things like the hidden meaning symbolized by the author's verb choices in chapter 3. And I was reading stuff like Wuthering Heights and Les Miserables (in translation, but unabridged) for fun as a young teenager, so it wasn't a matter of preferring easy-to-digest crap. (I did like Dragonlance, though, I'll admit).

canis minor
May 4, 2011

There are books that are just dry. I remember that I've had to read a book for my literature class - as I'm a quick reader (if I enjoy a book I can go through it in a matter of hours), I thought to myself that I'll be able to spend a weekend on it and be done.
I've managed to crawl through 50-100 pages, because the book was so uninteresting and bland, and you basically had to remember every detail (as, what this person was wearing during the meeting with the other person and how many owlets were sitting on the windowsill, etc).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've never read any Henry James and have no opinion on the quality of his writing, but I think that "two chapters were transposed and nobody noticed/acknowledged it for fifty years" bit is pretty hilarious, if kind of apocryphal-sounding.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

People generally resent being forced to read something, this is not particularly weird and in fact is actually the norm.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Everyone complains about having to read The Scarlet Letter or The Pearl, but I haven't met anyone that hated when their class read Shakespeare.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

E: ^^^^ who the gently caress didn't like The Pearl and why? That book owned.

I feel like a lot of schools teach books that are certainly important for the literary canon but the average teenager doesn't give two shits about that and just sees an exceptionally dry novel. The only books I hated in high school were A Scarlet Letter (which I still had some grudging respect for, even if reading it was a maddening experience) and A Patchwork Planet, a book I read for some contemporary lit elective course. That book could maybe go here: it has a sort of interesting main character but his journey to not being a total fuckup and living his own life rather than vicariously living the lives of others (through breaking into peoples' homes and looking at their pictures - before you could do this on Facebook) is just boring trite poo poo. Even as a teenager with zero life experience I thought he was a loser from beginning to end. He ends up banging his short tomboy lady friend and her breath reeks of pork rinds.

Phyzzle posted:

That Robert Young quote slays me.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To be fair schools tend to give you essays about verb choices in chapter 3 because the book is well known and there are specific verb choices in that chapter that have a point.

It would be dumb to pick up a (literary) book at random and assume you can get the book's ~true artistic meaning~ from such a specific thing. Doesn't stop people trying though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Strategic Tea posted:

To be fair schools tend to give you essays about verb choices in chapter 3 because the book is well known and there are specific verb choices in that chapter that have a point.

It would be dumb to pick up a (literary) book at random and assume you can get the book's ~true artistic meaning~ from such a specific thing. Doesn't stop people trying though.

I went through a lot of honors and AP English courses in high school and never, not once, was asked a question like that. It was all questions about interpretations, themes, and (obviously) some basic comprehension stuff to make sure you did the reading in the first place. You know, pretty basic reading and critical analysis, which seems fair.

I would be very surprised to find out that that is not the norm. Did you maybe get beat up once by a test once in high school and the stress is making you generate false memories?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

I went through a lot of honors and AP English courses in high school and never, not once, was asked a question like that. It was all questions about interpretations, themes, and (obviously) some basic comprehension stuff to make sure you did the reading in the first place. You know, pretty basic reading and critical analysis, which seems fair.

I would be very surprised to find out that that is not the norm. Did you maybe get beat up once by a test once in high school and the stress is making you generate false memories?

Not particularly, but I'm thinking of the kind of stuff you get asked at like 13? Where you wouldn't get asked about repetition in these three pages if the teacher didn't know drat well that it was important.

It kind of feels like people who didn't like or get that sometimes assume actual literary criticism is basically the same? Except they don't see the reasoning behind it so they think you just pick something really specific and spin unsubstantiated claims out of it?

I don't think that's the case myself so :shrug:

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Sep 9, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

e: welp

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
We didn't do tests in my English class - it was taught by an English Lit PhD and we were writing college-style long critical papers. I was exaggerating about "verbs in the third chapter" but I was talking about the tendency of literary criticism to hyperfocus on small details like word choice and symbolism and then expound on those. Of course there's absolutely nothing wrong with that level of analysis - I just really don't enjoy it at all, especially when I have to do it to a book I love. So what I mean if I say that literary criticism ruined my love of reading, I don't mean "I had to read Emily Bronte instead of Goosebumps," I mean "I hated having to write papers about Heathcliff and Catherine instead of just reading the book." (I'm pretty sure a lot of music and film majors feel the same way about music theory and film theory.)

I also found literary criticism useless as a background for writing fiction - we never even talked about things like the difference between scene and narration, or what makes a memorable character, or how to construct a plot. Even though we were reading books that did those things well, we just took them for granted while we talked about whether the mud on the hem of Elizabeth Bennet's dress is meant to imply that she's been thinking about sex (or having sex).

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Kay Kessler posted:

Everyone complains about having to read The Scarlet Letter or The Pearl, but I haven't met anyone that hated when their class read Shakespeare.

I really liked The Scarlet Letter and the only thing I found more insufferable than Shakespeare was A Separate Peace

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was one of the few people who liked reading Shakespeare in High School in my area, but then most people in my hometown were backwards hicks who can barely speak English.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pookel posted:

I say it because having to write critical papers about the books I enjoyed reading tended to suck all the fun out of them. I enjoyed *reading* books - not reading and writing stuffy critical papers about things like the hidden meaning symbolized by the author's verb choices in chapter 3. And I was reading stuff like Wuthering Heights and Les Miserables (in translation, but unabridged) for fun as a young teenager, so it wasn't a matter of preferring easy-to-digest crap. (I did like Dragonlance, though, I'll admit).

On the other hand, I wrote three separate critical essays about my favorite novel in college and only love it more as a result.

Had a lot of veins to mine, at least.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Arcsquad12 posted:

I was one of the few people who liked reading Shakespeare in High School in my area, but then most people in my hometown were backwards hicks who can barely speak English.
Could. Could barely speak English.

(Forgive me!)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I found that when I went back to the novels I'd read in school (e.g. The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha) a few years after I left school, I enjoyed them a whole lot more. I think when you're able to read them at your own pace instead of the pace of the entire class, and when you aren't stopping every four or five pages to discuss it in a way that's very focused toward how the content might come up in an exam question, it's easier to enjoy them.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Oxxidation posted:

On the other hand, I wrote three separate critical essays about my favorite novel in college and only love it more as a result.

Had a lot of veins to mine, at least.
I think that it really depends on the class itself. I had three college-level courses that covered Shakespeare, and only one of them was enjoyable; if the other students are dumb as rocks (dual-enrolling at community college) or the professor is up his own rear end (junior year at actual college), it can be impossibly draining.

Out of curiosity, what was the novel? I had a similar experience with The Brothers Karamazov.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Could. Could barely speak English.

(Forgive me!)

If they still can't understand English then this is correct even if they're not still backwards hicks.

Clunky as hell though.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I read Ready Player One because the internet recommended it.

It's really gently caress bad. Most of it is lists of pop culture poo poo from the 80s. The rest is the most unlikable fedora tipping protagonist you can imagine. He goes on a big euphoric rant about how religion is bad, pwns n00bs with his superior 80s knowledge (and the whole room cheers him), and finds a geeky gamer girl who likes him for no reason.

It's a shut in neckbeard fantasy which would be OK if the writing or story was any good, but as mentioned it relies completely on "hey remember thing from the 80s? We do too!" For some reason they're making it into a film.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Berious posted:

I read Ready Player One because the internet recommended it.

It's really gently caress bad. Most of it is lists of pop culture poo poo from the 80s. The rest is the most unlikable fedora tipping protagonist you can imagine. He goes on a big euphoric rant about how religion is bad, pwns n00bs with his superior 80s knowledge (and the whole room cheers him), and finds a geeky gamer girl who likes him for no reason.

It's a shut in neckbeard fantasy which would be OK if the writing or story was any good, but as mentioned it relies completely on "hey remember thing from the 80s? We do too!" For some reason they're Stephen Spielberg is making it into a film.

fixed.

Terrible book, but lots of people like it. I really don't get it. I think Stranger Things does the 80s nostalgia pop-scifi thing way better.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Ambitious Spider posted:

fixed.

Terrible book, but lots of people like it. I really don't get it. I think Stranger Things does the 80s nostalgia pop-scifi thing way better.

That's because Stranger Things was a story that happened to be set in the 80s, instead of a story that smashes your teeth in with 80s paraphernalia to try and trigger some sort of nostalgia response.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71VFzClEoG0

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Kay Kessler posted:

I can't stand Romeo and Juliet because I sat through it in four classes, two in high school and two in college. I just wanted to write the paper and be done with it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

queserasera posted:

I can't stand Romeo and Juliet because I sat through it in four classes, two in high school and two in college. I just wanted to write the paper and be done with it.

Did your class need to read it out loud, in class, in its entirety? Nothing fosters a love of literature like the stumbling, monotone, bored recitations of teenagers.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Dienes posted:

Did your class need to read it out loud, in class, in its entirety? Nothing fosters a love of literature like the stumbling, monotone, bored recitations of teenagers.

Yes. And stopping at all the lewd parts for explanations. Why is there always one kid in every Shakespeare class who wants to write their essay on Billy's werty derdys?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think that it really depends on the class itself. I had three college-level courses that covered Shakespeare, and only one of them was enjoyable; if the other students are dumb as rocks (dual-enrolling at community college) or the professor is up his own rear end (junior year at actual college), it can be impossibly draining.

Out of curiosity, what was the novel? I had a similar experience with The Brothers Karamazov.

The Satanic Verses. Not hugely dense, but yeah, there's a lot of possible options to take with a work like that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They should Titus Andronicus instead. It's basically all sex and violance. It also includes the best exchange in any Shakespeare play ever:

Demetrius
Villain, what hast thou done?

Aaron
That which thou can't undo

Chiron
Thou hast undone our mother

Aaron
Villain, I have done thy mother.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The problem with reading Shakespeare in English classes is that you're not supposed to read Shakespeare. It was never meant to be consumed as words on a page, and it's really unfortunate that that's a lot of people's first introduction to his plays. Going to see a good production would obviously be best, but is pretty hard in most places. And there's almost nothing worse to sit through than a bad production of Shakespeare.

Romeo and Juliet is also way loving overused in classes, because unimaginative teachers think "teens just have to relate to these dumbass kids who kill themselves". Titus Andronicus actually would be a great intro. It's his shlockiest play, and the Julie Taymor film with Anthony Hopkins from the 90s is pretty great. I saw a production in England that had a fifteen foot high blood spray at the end before almost everyone on stage was massacred. poo poo was amazing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

yeah, but it's done in exactly the same way a reddit niceguy does claims to have done

he even bows for chrissakes

Hero fantasy. If your problem is that it sounds like a STDH, that's fine, but it's a separate issues from whether a line is sarcastic or not.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Just stopping by to say I hate Romeo and Juliet. I moved a lot during high school and had to read that fucker four times. I hate it so much.
Macbeth was bitchin', though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

there wolf posted:

Hero fantasy. If your problem is that it sounds like a STDH, that's fine, but it's a separate issues from whether a line is sarcastic or not.

Dude

You can stop

You will not win this

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Dienes posted:

Even in college, you wouldn't believe how friggin' alien the idea of "meter" is to some people. It is physically discomforting to hear someone like that try to slog through a sonnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

there wolf posted:

Whether it was sarcastic was never in question. The point was that it was creepy and gross.