Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

oliveoil posted:

This is old, but you could always just have a single truck-driver make the trip to ensure the route is wide enough and tall enough for a truck.

That's perfectly sensible for long-haul trucking, but you'd have to make a lot of trips to cover, say, all the ways to get to a major mall, with variations to account for traffic and detours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

That being said, I do understand some of the basics. I think it's a case where they're not being dishonest, but they're overemphasizing one part of the problem compared to all the others. I can see how narrowing down the list of small molecules that need to be tested against a particular target before one is found that works could speed up drug discovery. Of course, if you have a target receptor, and you have an idea of what molecule it binds in nature, then creating artificial small molecules that will probably target it based on the structure of the native signal molecule isn't exactly a blind process to begin with. Her method is probably a good way to come up with drugs when the target is already known, but that means most drugs will probably be improvements on existing treatments rather than entirely new treatments.

This is basically what fragment based drug discovery is about and which have been going for like 10-20 years or so. Although it have only started to get real traction the last 10 or so.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's perfectly sensible for long-haul trucking, but you'd have to make a lot of trips to cover, say, all the ways to get to a major mall, with variations to account for traffic and detours.

Perhaps some sort of app? Shouldn't be hard to fart out TruQ or whatever and get the public to answer quick questions on things like bridge heights in exchange for little handouts a la google rewards.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
We have cars that can park themselves. Here we are talking about cars that can detect and avoid other cars and pedestrians. You don't think a sensor that detects if a crossing is less than X ft tall is impossible in that case, do you?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Kerbtree posted:

Perhaps some sort of app? Shouldn't be hard to fart out TruQ or whatever and get the public to answer quick questions on things like bridge heights in exchange for little handouts a la google rewards.

Alternatively:
  • Use smaller vehicles in places where there's a greater likelihood of getting stuck. I've never heard of a bridge with less than five feet clearance.
  • Use traffic sign readers that can look for LOW CLEARANCE signs in addition to the other signs that they recognize.
  • Just ask the person being delivered to whether there's any really narrow roads or low overpasses to look out for.
  • If it gets lost, just send some pictures and where it believes it is on google maps back to dispatch or to the intended recipient and ask them which way to go.
  • Just try it anyhow and if several trucks get stuck in some location flag it for someone manually figuring out what the gently caress's going on.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

oliveoil posted:

This is old, but you could always just have a single truck-driver make the trip to ensure the route is wide enough and tall enough for a truck.

Cool idea, now redo your calculations with an eye to the fact that we don't live on an MMO server where areas do not exist unless instanced for the player.

What I'm trying to get across here is that local conditions change. Frankly any automated system that can't handle roughly as much autonomous decision making as a new to the road driver without damaging itself, the cargo, the surroundings, or bystanders is not worth deploying.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Continuing with the topic of academic articles: h

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/28/eu-ministers-2020-target-free-access-scientific-papers
http://futurism.com/eu-announces-that-all-european-scientific-articles-should-be-freely-accessible-by-2020/

quote:

This week was a revolutionary week in the sciences—not because we discovered a new fundamental particle or had a new breakthrough in quantum computing—but because some of the most prominent world leaders announced an initiative which asserts that European scientific papers should be made freely available to all by 2020.

This would legally only impact research supported by public and public-private funds, which are a vast portion of the papers produced annually; however, the goal is to make all science freely available. Ultimately, the commitment rests on three main tenets: “Sharing knowledge freely,” “open access,” and “reusing research data.”

Of course, the scope is limited, as it only affects papers from the EU, and which were publicly funded (even if partially). The report says nothing about the archives though, meaning that data published before 2020 would not be required to be freely available.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The US already did that too, right?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You can already get a lot of papers on that uzbek site.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Cardiac posted:

This is basically what fragment based drug discovery is about and which have been going for like 10-20 years or so. Although it have only started to get real traction the last 10 or so.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I wonder if this computational approach to identifying small molecules will end up being an improvement or a complementary approach that identifies a different set of targets. Probably a bit of both, but I don't see it being a replacement.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Subjunctive posted:

The US already did that too, right?

Yes, at least the NIH has.

namaste faggots posted:

You can already get a lot of papers on that uzbek site.

The difference is that's incredibly illegal.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Discendo Vox posted:

The difference is that's incredibly illegal.

It's objectively a superior service compared to the typical university access. Until academic publishers make an equivalent of Netflix for papers and textbooks, they'll bleed like the music or movie industry.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone been sued for downloading papers about panda loving illegaly? Not that I'd encourage it because that would be wrong but seems like a neat thing for broke students or independent researchers.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

blowfish posted:

It's objectively a superior service compared to the typical university access. Until academic publishers make an equivalent of Netflix for papers and textbooks, they'll bleed like the music or movie industry.

Sounds like it's time for you to start talking to venture capitalists.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
iirc Holmes' dad is a high up CIA spook which is a big reason she could get in the door with Kissinger et al

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone been sued for downloading papers about panda loving illegaly? Not that I'd encourage it because that would be wrong but seems like a neat thing for broke students or independent researchers.

It just so happens that most users of Sci-Hub are located at universities which already have access to most journals. This is just as much a user experience issue as it is a public access issue.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I wonder if this computational approach to identifying small molecules will end up being an improvement or a complementary approach that identifies a different set of targets. Probably a bit of both, but I don't see it being a replacement.

I am pretty doubtful that any computational approach to drug design is going to work until we have actually solved the protein folding problem.
People have been talking about rational drug design, structure based drug design for the last 20 years without any actual ab initio success.
The basiic approach is still to screen a large number of chemical using various methods and then pick out good hits for further refinement,
In these steps computational tools are great tools, but they need something to start from.

Fragment based drug discovery is basically the idea that instead of using large complex molecules in your screen, you use small fragments which then serve as building blocks for developing new drugs.
The latest thing in fragment screening is to soak crystals with various fragments and then collect data on each crystal in a synchotron since synchotrons become better and more automatized.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

mastershakeman posted:

iirc Holmes' dad is a high up CIA spook which is a big reason she could get in the door with Kissinger et al

Any citations for this cia anecdote?

gingrich
May 26, 2007

i'm the osiris of this shit

namaste faggots posted:

Any citations for this cia anecdote?

from wikipedia: "Her father, Christian Rasmus Holmes IV, worked at Enron[3] as well as in the United States, Africa, and China in governmental agencies such as USAID."

USAID is functionally a CIA front organization

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

gingrich posted:

from wikipedia: "Her father, Christian Rasmus Holmes IV, worked at Enron[3] as well as in the United States, Africa, and China in governmental agencies such as USAID."

I knew my grandfather wasn't just teaching the Pakistanis to make soap with fancy American equipement!
Lever Brothers is where they get all the best (recently naturalized) spies.
USAID has some spooks, but it is mostly a front for the chamber of commerce and the export import bank. Which, by the way, also makes you some good connections.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes. It's hard to trace, though, and people like to rationalize why it's ok to do something illegal if it benefits them.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Used to be the best way to get papers was to email the author, now I'm spoiled since I've worked somewhere with access to everything for so long I don't know if that still works.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

Used to be the best way to get papers was to email the author, now I'm spoiled since I've worked somewhere with access to everything for so long I don't know if that still works.

It still works but it takes longer than 10 seconds.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes. It's hard to trace, though, and people like to rationalize why it's ok to do something illegal if it benefits them.

I wouldn't even go so far as to expect rationalisation, it's more "I need this paper now and I don't care how".

If it goes to the stage of rationalisation more people would probably agree with "publishers are parasites and nothing of value will be lost if russian hackers kill elsevier" than with "we must defend the journal copyrights on other people's papers".

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 8, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Turns out, one good way to keep you unlicensed hotel from getting trashed is to exclude :airquote: certain folk :airquote:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12453298

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Turns out, one good way to keep you unlicensed hotel from getting trashed is to exclude :airquote: certain folk :airquote:

The urban market stole my TV once you know.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gingrich posted:

Yeah it's also that her dad didn't do any actual NGO work then suddenly is high up in USAID , then combine w/ all the military contacts. Basically just word of mouth whisperings though

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yet she couldn't get funding from the cia vc arm. Hmmmm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

There is a slight point here in that if you're renting a room out of the house you live in the normal housing discrimination rules are relaxed. ie, if you're a woman you can choose to only rent to women if you live there for example. AirBnB has a bit of a problem with the "totally not a hotel, except actually a hotel" thing.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Truck driving is super, super heavily subsidized - as in, the fees, tolls, etc. paid by trucks comes no where close to covering the wear and tear trucks put on roads. If that subsidy was removed the cost per mile could nearly double from that alone. Is the expectation that this continues for automated vehicles? If so, it's a tough sell now while those subsidies function as a backdoor jobs program, what's the justification when they don't? Remember that all of those now-displaced truckers still get to vote and none of the trucks do.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Buffer posted:

Remember that all of those now-displaced truckers still get to vote and none of the trucks do.

Most likely situation is the truckers don't get to vote, second most likely is that drones do.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Buffer posted:

Truck driving is super, super heavily subsidized - as in, the fees, tolls, etc. paid by trucks comes no where close to covering the wear and tear trucks put on roads. If that subsidy was removed the cost per mile could nearly double from that alone. Is the expectation that this continues for automated vehicles? If so, it's a tough sell now while those subsidies function as a backdoor jobs program, what's the justification when they don't? Remember that all of those now-displaced truckers still get to vote and none of the trucks do.

Companies would pass on the increased transportation costs to consumers, so it would have close to the same effect as raising the sales tax.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mastershakeman posted:

her family's the heir to the fleischmann yeast fortune and have a hospital named after them

her dad was the cfo of the epa under bush the elder

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mobby_6kl posted:

Never forget Aaron Swartz. Former partner of Reddit, man who downloaded three-quarters-ish of JSTOR to a server at MIT, hounded by the government until he killed himself. If ever a unicorn was one of the good ones...

Sorry. Personal soft spot of mine.

(heck, his wiki page even compares the sweet Kazakh site to his work.)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 9, 2016

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
90% of ~free the papers~ talk is pure nerd ideology; access for researchers in poorer/less developed institutions is a serious issue and the journals are a PITA, but most people discussing don't care about access for practical reasons

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Never forget Aaron Swartz. Former partner of Reddit, man who downloaded three-quarters-ish of JSTOR to a server at MIT, hounded by the government until he killed himself. If ever a unicorn was one of the good ones...

Sorry. Personal soft spot of mine.

(heck, his wiki page even compares the sweet Kazakh site to his work.)

"hounded by the government" meaning was subject to an entirely conventional criminal prosecution for scraping massive amounts of information from a non-profit digital library.

lancemantis posted:

90% of ~free the papers~ talk is pure nerd ideology; access for researchers in poorer/less developed institutions is a serious issue and the journals are a PITA, but most people discussing don't care about access for practical reasons

:same:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

namaste faggots posted:

Yet she couldn't get funding from the cia vc arm. Hmmmm

In-Q-Tel actually vets things.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

lancemantis posted:

It's not just researchers overseas. I'm getting a M.S. at a state school and don't have access to some of the major publishers. No critical primary sources for me!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maera Sior posted:

It's not just researchers overseas. I'm getting a M.S. at a state school and don't have access to some of the major publishers. No critical primary sources for me!

Uh, go talk to a librarian. Thats literally their job.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Talk to another human being? That sounds pretty triggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh, go talk to a librarian. Thats literally their job.

Hah. You still expect the university to be paying for all those publications in print when they can do a bulk order of some of them without sacrificing any shelf space?

FWIW, I've had decent luck emailing the authors and asking for a copy, but sometimes the copies show up in dead tree format and I can't imagine them being willing to do that for someone overseas.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 9, 2016