Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Looks like most of the Lions of Casterly Rock is up on thronesdb, too. There's some pretty nice stuff in there! The Night's Watch cards make me especially happy.

Also, here's some thoughts about the cards in the next pack:

Ser Edmure Tully - Taking power from your opponent is always good, as is getting four power on The Blackfish faster. Still, I don't think he's more then a one-of unless you're going really heavily into Knights or House Tully.

Bear Island - It triggers off itself and Stark has lots of Loyal cards it wants to play anyway, so this seems fine. Reducing the cost to zero and getting a gold back is pretty snazzy. More economy options are always good.

King Renly - Pretty good, I think! Seven-cost, six-strength tri-con with Renown [i[and[/i] Insight who sometimes draws even more cards is very nice. I can see the Reaction triggering often enough, given Tyrell's nice loyal cards (Highgarden, The Mander, The Arbor, Pleasure Barge, Olenna's Cunning). It further plays into Tyrell's themes of having all the cards and gold. Not to mention the big Strength numbers. I don't think it's a coincidence that our resident Tyrell player also plays Weyland in Netrunner. I think Tyrell is going to be in a good position to run Valar Morghulis very aggressively and take advantage of their superior economy.

Crown of Golden Roses - I like this, and I hope we see more ways for Tyrell to use their card advantage.

Thoren Smallwood - More power for Night's Watch! Another Ranger for triggering The Watcher on the Walls makes me very happy. Also makes a Night's Watch banner more interesting.

Night Gathers... - I've been waiting for this card since it was spoiled. With Kings of Winter, a lot more cards are ending up in the discard, so I've been getting a lot more use out of Yoren, and this should make things even more interesting. I'll have to mess with it, but I see Varys having a bright future in The Night's Watch.

Asshai Priestess - Oh boy, more ways for Baratheon to kneel characters. More control-oriented Bartheon builds might want this instead of Fiery Followers?

Visited by Shadows - Not very exciting, but maybe good filler when looking to lower the gold curve? Probably more useful then it looks.

Ser Amory Lorch - Also not very exciting, but the numbers are good. Makes a Rose banner more appealing for Knight shenanigans.

Harrenhal - This is really cool. I think we need to see a few more Lannister cards that do things on entering play for it to be really good (like in the Lions of Casterly Rock), though. The House Bolton synergy is also really cool, and I look forward to trying to live the dream with Roose Bolton, too. I wonder if we'll get anything playing off the Contested trait?

Lordsport Fisherman - Boring, but more draw is always nice. Probably too expensive to be in every Greyjoy deck, though. I'm sure this guy will be responsible for some shenanigans at some point.

King of Salt and Rock - Cheap, and sometimes give power, so I can see most Greyjoy decks running this as a one-of, more if they're already running more Pillage. I was looking forward to messing with the new Tywin anyway, and more cards like this should make it even more fun.

Devoted Bloodrider - Dothraki! I look forward to Dothraki decks being a thing again. Depending on the gold curve, I can see people running these guys over Braided Warriors for the potential extra Strength.

Blood of My Blood - Tutor is nice, especially for character surprises during challenges. Interestingly, this is non-loyal, as well the Devoted Bloodrider, Aggo, and Rakharo. Might be worth going with a Dragon banner if a deck needs to shore up its military strength.

Spearmaiden - First Martell gets a character version of Tears of Lys, now they have one for Put to the Sword. Martell probably needs a few more STR pumps to really make it work, though. Venomous Blade let's them both kill someone else and gives her enough STR to fulfill the condition herself if unopposed, which amuses me greatly.

Scorpion’s Sting - Coupled with Doran's Game, Martell can get six or more power after round three, which sounds incredibly awesome. I think this makes "Long Plan" style decks viable.

Hot Pie - I don't think there's quite enough Companions to really make this work yet, but he'll be something to keep in mind. Also makes Streek of Silk better, which is cool.

The God's Eye - Not sure if I want to pay three extra gold for an extra reserve. Might be worth it in Tyrell or Night's Watch, or if Location control starts becoming really common.

Disagreement - I've been waiting for a card like this. There's not a whole lot of really great targets for this yet, but I think it's still worth running. Even just getting rid of a cost reducer is worth it if it clears the way for having someone bigger die. Of course, having a cheap way to remove Littlefinger is almost enough to make this worth it by itself.

Battle of Oxcross - I'm really unsure what to make of this. Seems really scary with Balon Greyjoy (Core). Would certainly be fun after a Wildfire Assault or First Snow of Winter. Going to try it in my Night's Watch deck to deal with Baratheon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Night's Watch is looking really strong after this cycle. Love it, definitely my favorite house flavor wise in this game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So with Valar coming up, not to mention the already numerous ways of killing dudes that the last cycle introduced, how do you decide which characters are > 1-of in a deck?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

GrandpaPants posted:

So with Valar coming up, not to mention the already numerous ways of killing dudes that the last cycle introduced, how do you decide which characters are > 1-of in a deck?

I used to go by "Who would i need to have dupe'd after a Wildfire?" mixed with "Who do I always want to see?", and probably run a few bodyguards in a couple decks just to be safe.

I don't really see Valar changing my modus operandi. Honestly, I'm not sure it's better than Wildfire because the low gold value is really going to be crippling, but on the bright side you could use it to press an advantage, like I could certainly see my Greyjoy deck using it, perhaps more effectively than it is currently using First Snow.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Between Close Call and all the sources of saves, I don't think it's going to change too much, honestly. It's mostly a question of what a character is doing for you and how easily you can replicate their abilities with other characters. Characters that you really want to see because they make your deck work or how powerful they are you would still run three copies of, like Melisandre or Balon Greyjoy (Core). Others you don't care about as much. For instance, characters like Ser Waymar Royce and Ser Colen of Greenpools are mostly useful as cheap characters with some mildly helpful abilities, so I would run one copy of each and not care too much if they died. A Lannister player could even justify running one copy of someone like Tyrion Lannister (Core). He's got a nice combination of useful things, but he's not really doing anything that the rest of a Lannister deck can't. Characters with renown are a bit trickier, since you don't want to lose them after they've got some power for you. Still, many of them work very similarly, so many times it doesn't matter which ones you see, just that you see some.

I guess what you're really trying to do is minimize the chances of "dead draws," so if the deck has other ways to deal with it, more copies of characters can safely be run. Tyrell decks, for instance. They probably have enough draw at this point, so they could run two or three copies of The Knight of Flowers, since he's helpful early on, but if he dies the deck can just draw through the extra copies. More cards like Crown of Golden Roses would also lessen the impact of drawing into dead characters. Even things like Waking the Dragon and Marched to the Wall can be useful for keeping characters out of the dead pile, in addition to their other benefits.

PaybackJack posted:

I used to go by "Who would i need to have dupe'd after a Wildfire?" mixed with "Who do I always want to see?", and probably run a few bodyguards in a couple decks just to be safe.

I don't really see Valar changing my modus operandi. Honestly, I'm not sure it's better than Wildfire because the low gold value is really going to be crippling, but on the bright side you could use it to press an advantage, like I could certainly see my Greyjoy deck using it, perhaps more effectively than it is currently using First Snow.

Yeah, basically this. While Valar Morghulis can be used aggressively, it's going to be more useful to people as a way to catch-up if things get too out of control early on, which has been a problem for the game so far, I think.

The other big rule of thumb I remember from the first edition is: "Always assume your opponent has Valar Morghulis."

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
More Arkham LCG info. About Campaign and leveling up: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/7/uncovering-the-truth/

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey, is there an iOS deckbuilding app similar to ThronesDB?

This looks so good.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GrandpaPants posted:

Pretty much pick 2 (or, if you're running alternate saves like iron mines, bodyguard, etc, you may wanna run 3) characters that are essentially your build-arounds. Those all would get 3 of, and every other unique gets a 1 of imo.

In general I also see more non-uniques being played and relied upon since they're never gonna be dead draws. You'll also have less of the ridiculous boardstates where you have 6/7 dudes on a side and 10+ power spread on characters. The 2 gold is gonna be much more painful than it was in 1st edition since everything costs much more now, but it's a necessary thing to have in the game IMO.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
dang first you doomtown people and now conquest, sorry folks

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I think most people kind of expected this for awhile. At least since play testers came out and said they hadn't been given anything new in months.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It still sucks though, since I liked Conquest the most out of all the LCGs :(

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sigh, now I'll never sell my conquest cards.

Edit: sold them.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 9, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Aw, man, we have a guy at our local store who is going to be crushed. He's been in complete denial about the rumors.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So there's just three cycles and two big boxes (plus core) of Conquest total, right? How did the balance shake out by the end? Also, is there still going to be a Conquest tournament at FFG Worlds?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

StashAugustine posted:

So there's just three cycles and two big boxes (plus core) of Conquest total, right? How did the balance shake out by the end? Also, is there still going to be a Conquest tournament at FFG Worlds?

In the announcement they didn't kill the world's tournament just the newest orders of the game night kits. So world's will probably be the last event for it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Like many other LCG's, will it be worth it to buy multiple core sets for the upcoming Arkham Horror game? Or can one core actually support one or two players?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Max posted:

Like many other LCG's, will it be worth it to buy multiple core sets for the upcoming Arkham Horror game? Or can one core actually support one or two players?

1 core for two 2 cores for 4.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Also a full playset of cards in Arkham will require 2 cores.
...I'll probably just start with 1 unlike almost everyone I know haha.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Also a full playset of cards in Arkham will require 2 cores.
...I'll probably just start with 1 unlike almost everyone I know haha.

That's what I figured. I'm probably going to just start with 1 and see how it goes.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Max posted:

That's what I figured. I'm probably going to just start with 1 and see how it goes.

Yeah, I don't get buying two copies of a game sight unseen. Ill give it a go solo with one core before I start going all :homebrew: at it

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I played it at Gen Con and had alot of fun playing it so I'm going to do two cores.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

frgildan posted:

I played it at Gen Con and had alot of fun playing it so I'm going to do two cores.

Same. I would've bought two cores at GenCon if they had them available.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

frgildan posted:

Same, but I am wary enough of the bag for checks that I am willing to hold off.
I mean heck, I probably had like 50 plays of LOTR before I got the missing cards I needed. Also since it is co-op I tend to just proxy stuff I need when it comes to multiple sets.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Same. I would've bought two cores at GenCon if they had them available.

Yea the rumor was that it was going to be the secret Gen Con release. I was slightly bummed when I heard it wasn't but alittle more after I got to demo it. After playing I really wanted a copy to start ripping into it. It scratches the same itch as lotr.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

frgildan posted:

Yea the rumor was that it was going to be the secret Gen Con release. I was slightly bummed when I heard it wasn't but alittle more after I got to demo it. After playing I really wanted a copy to start ripping into it. It scratches the same itch as lotr.

I'm thinking that gameplay-wise it will scratch a similar itch...but the deck building seems to be far easier.
I am hoping that it will sit in a pretty spot of good gameplay but less intense deck building. Sometimes I want to make a LOTR deck to crush X scenario or make a silly deck to throw at a few different scenarios...and sometimes I just want to play with a lot less introduction.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sonatinas posted:

dang first you doomtown people and now conquest, sorry folks

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

Yeah this blows, GW has great licences but FFG was doing way better things with them. Now that GW is doing little mini-games as intros to 40k I guess they saw FFG as competition, but they've never made anything like the FFG games and those were really good.

Especially 40k RPGs... this blows.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

So they've just annouced the first Arkham box expansion.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/the-dunwich-legacy/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

frgildan posted:

And it's the first expansion over all. Maybe they're moving away from the monthly packs for this one?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

frgildan posted:

Huh, I was hoping this was for Eldritch Horror. Seems weird they're still making content for Arkham but I guess a few people prefer it?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh, I was hoping this was for Eldritch Horror. Seems weird they're still making content for Arkham but I guess a few people prefer it?

It's the Arkham LCG.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
But isn't the base game not even out yet? :psyduck:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

COOL CORN posted:

But isn't the base game not even out yet? :psyduck:

they usually announce expansions before the previous thing is out, and if it's going to be a big box every couple months vs small packs every month and then a big box every six they want to start the cycle going in terms of advertising

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

And it's the first expansion over all. Maybe they're moving away from the monthly packs for this one?

The article mentions that the cycle of mythos packs after this builds on the deluxe, so it sounds like they're using the LotR model, with a deluxe and related monthly packs.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It takes a while for their items to print and ship, I'm not surprised they are doing that. That and if people get the base game and blaze through it, it's nice already knowing what's around the corner.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Swagger Dagger posted:

The article mentions that the cycle of mythos packs after this builds on the deluxe, so it sounds like they're using the LotR model, with a deluxe and related monthly packs.

that's still interesting because it's the first one with the first deluxe before a cycle comes out

AHC01 is the core, AHC02 is this expansion

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hmm. This only has 2 scenarios, and the core set doesn't say how many it includes (it just says 110 encounter cards). I'm hoping this game isn't light on content, especially since they're pushing the campaign aspect so hard as the default way to play. I hope it has a lot more content in the core set than something like Warhammer Quest ACG.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 9, 2016

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Hmm. This only has 2 scenarios, and the core set doesn't say how many it includes (it just says 110 encounter cards). I'm hoping this game isn't light on content, especially since they're pushing the campaign aspect so hard as the default way to play. I hope it has a lot more content in the core set than something like Warhammer Quest ACG.

Core set has three scenarios. They put up a copy of the campaign log.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

It's the Arkham LCG.

OHHHH :doh:

Why didn't they give it a different name?!

Also they sure are getting a lot of use out of that same art. I love FFG but they cut corners on art too often. Recognizing the exact images across multiple games is pretty weak.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Ahhh interesting. So there is no cycle with the Core like in LOTR instead jumping right into a deluxe + cycle.
So my question is how does this work with the exp and leveling up of your deck? If you continue with the same char/deck as the core box does it continue to gain exp and level up or does it reset the deck/char because this is a new campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have the feeling that deckbuilding is going to be less important compared to ESDLA. Only 59 player cards (some of which are exclusive to some heroes) are quite less than what I was expecting.