Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
TAZ is good, car boys is good. Car boys fan art is good.

https://twitter.com/cloveochai/status/774078548541779968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

I didn't get as effected by it because it was the Chalice being vengeful against them and using other's deaths that are the fault of Gundren using an item of great power first and foremost to punish them, no matter how much it was supposed to teach them a lesson. The items of great powers are still hosts to really selfish spirits, and it was just trying to fight for its survival knowing what would happen if the BoB gets them. The fact it's being manipulative to punish the boys took the punch out of it for me, because I'm thinking, "oh eat poo poo, you turd cup." The Magnus and Julia thing hits because it's such a personal tragedy, and is something where you could do the math easier to see, "old vengeful man comes and kills my family and home," easier than, "a dwarf turns into a nuke." The body toll was greater, but the cup was being just so petty and rubbing their nose in the fact that they don't want to use it's forbidden power, not that it's a terrible event they had some hand in.

I hate that stupid loving cup for trying to make Tres Horny Boys sad.

Well yeah, gently caress that cup. But that's why it was so harsh, because it's a God-like being that's just cruel as gently caress and really being petty and spiteful. Fandolin is something that really seems to cast a pall over their successes because they did everything right and still got a town destroyed - even freeing the orc was obviously the right thing to do, and they had no way of knowing the domino effect it would cause. And just recently you had the Goddess of Fate basically tell you that yeah, that wasn't supposed to happen, but thanks for trying. I think it's pretty obvious that they'd be wondering, with everything we know now, would that have gone different?

And as far as them being tempted I think the rules the Chalice set out shot it in the foot as far as tempting the boys. They knew it'd basically be them in a little time bubble, rewriting their own life, and gently caress everybody and everything else. Essentially living a holodeck version of the world that they'd know wasn't 'real' because they also had to sustain it with their will. I don't think there's any way the boys would have gone for something like that. Even though Merle's was kind of a paradox, since the cup said they couldn't join the Bureau or hunt the Relics, and his moment was already well after they had started working on the Relic quest.

I wasn't moved to tears myself but I think it's laughably lovely to say things like "If you cried or had feelings about this you're wrong, it wasn't really that good", as if everyone should react the acceptable amount to objectively-ranked grades of tragedy in fiction. Travis especially is on record as a crier, he cries easily and often and that kind of thing can really be contagious, so I'm not surprised a lot of listeners were more affected by his segment. Nobody called Cry One One, the Feelings Police aren't needed here.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
As a MBMBAM fan, I'm very excited for the show. As a SeeSo subscriber since it launched, I'm dreading actually watching it. It is a really, really user-unfriendly platform.

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012

Travis343 posted:

I think the rules the Chalice set out shot it in the foot as far as tempting the boys.

I feel like as soon as Griffin read the rules it became clear that nobody would gently caress with the chalice. How would that even have worked from a narrative standpoint? Like, Magnus takes the cup and fizzles out of existence and we are all vaguely aware he is pretty content in his alternate timeline. Thanks for playing Travis, maybe we will see you next campaign.

I don't really understand how that would have played out at all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Lowdog posted:

I feel like as soon as Griffin read the rules it became clear that nobody would gently caress with the chalice. How would that even have worked from a narrative standpoint? Like, Magnus takes the cup and fizzles out of existence and we are all vaguely aware he is pretty content in his alternate timeline. Thanks for playing Travis, maybe we will see you next campaign.

The other two would have immediately had to try to retrieve it from whoever tried to claim it, logically.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

The Lowdog posted:

I feel like Taako and Merle would have to retrieve him, and Travis would roll a new character. I mean, that's how it works in regular D&D.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I didn't care about the whole backstory stuff, though I found Magnus's a wee bit overwrought, and laughed when Merle described his, uh, 'flavour' of dwarves. But I laughed my rear end off at Taako's hey yeah it's not my fault, gently caress yeah I'm good. justifications. What really got me was Griffin's description of Phandolin being consumed by flames. It's like, dang. Heavy.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/lizparlett/status/774242835998605312?s=09

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Travis is such a big sweet goober, it didn't surprise me at all that he'd be the one to give his character a gutting backstory.

It amazes me that this largely improv DnD podcast that grew organically out of a premade Forgotten Realms scenario has the level of storytelling that it does so i'm inclined to cut the boys some slack when they don't consistently hit the emotional beats just right. Like even its best Big Emotion moments are more adorably twee than anything.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 9, 2016

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Honestly, the thing that got me the most in the episode was the description of Phandolin burning, and travis's little sharp intake of breath at Jule's offer. Like, you know he was actually crying.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

If you want to hear more about Travis crying all the time he was the guest on the latest Baby Geniuses

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

misadventurous posted:

Travis is such a big sweet goober, it didn't surprise me at all that he'd be the one to give his character a gutting backstory.

It amazes me that this largely improv DnD podcast that grew organically out of a premade Forgotten Realms scenario has the level of storytelling that it does so i'm inclined to cut the boys some slack when they don't consistently hit the emotional beats just right. Like even its best Big Emotion moments are more adorably twee than anything.
I used to roll my eyes a little at Travis's positivity, but once I realized it was 100% genuine, not an affectation, and that he's just that sweet of a dude, reading his super-upbeat tweets actually makes my day a little better.

Griffin really deserves a lot of credit for making TAZ special. That isn't to say that the other three aren't amazing, but for a first-time DM with minimal roleplaying and creative writing experience, he's put together a really compelling story and setting, as well as a huge cast of NPCs that are far more emotionally resonant and memorable than I expected. I think he's gotten a lot better at DMing over the course of this--I still wish sometimes that he'd be a little less concrete in how he explains stuff to the players (like telling them he's going to try to convince them rather than having them roll) and focus more on descriptive stuff in combat (which is hard to keep interesting, to be fair), but he's definitely improved in those areas. This last arc has really demonstrated that he took people's advice to heart re: railroading and player choice. I'm frankly really surprised he managed to avoid the DMPC trap (for those of you who are unfamiliar, a DMPC is a character played by the DM who is inserted basically as their own player character, and is usually super overpowered and does everything with/for the party), which pretty much every single first time GM I've seen has fallen into.

Basically, I never expected to be this invested in a game that I wasn't actually a part of, and it's become my absolute favorite podcast. I didn't realize quite how much I missed P&P games until this came along. I'll be sad when this storyline ends, but I'm glad it will actually have a concrete ending rather than dragging on until it fizzles out. TAZ Nights has the potential to be really good too once Travis gets a little more DMing experience under his belt--the PCs are just as great and I think the setting will be fun.

ANYWAY THAT'S MY BIG OL' POST ABOUT DUNGEONS & DRAGONS & DAD

Beekeeping and You posted:

Honestly, the thing that got me the most in the episode was the description of Phandolin burning, and travis's little sharp intake of breath at Jule's offer. Like, you know he was actually crying.
Same here. I wouldn't say it's the best episode ever, but there were some pretty excellent moments (both funny and serious) and overall I think the momentum was pretty good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Because of his self deprecation I sometimes forget that Griffin is like amazing good at stuff. Like TAZ is a good showcase for the reasons stated above, but then like his polygon videos have like an amazing amount of detail put into I'm impressed with. Dude is just legitimately talented, I mean all three are beyond just being funny but it's really easy to forget with how they present themselves.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

the amount of genuine anger the flophouse seems to get makes me like it more and more every time it comes up.

as someone who's only listened to a third of the switcheroo episode and their "singing long irritating songs like this one" ads in MBMBAM's 200 eps, they do Not do the best job of advocating for themselves

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Also I wouldn't really call Taako's backstory "tragic" so much as "dark", because Taako's whole deal is that he's a self-obsessed megalomaniacal idiot who hates genuine self-reflection. I mean, the best part of the episode is when he views the past and responds along the lines of "I found out the thing I was sad about is not my fault! Hooray!" while steadfastly ignoring the forty dead people.

i love taako

Serf
May 5, 2011

The switcheroo episode got me to start listening to the Flop House. It's pretty good, more informative than How Did This Get Made but also probably not as funny. The letters section could be eliminated entirely though.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

The Flop House is strictly worse than We Hate Movies.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The flop house is actually way better than WHM, which is boring

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
I can't even stand the 30 second commercial for flophouse. Utter garbage.

vvvv That made me laugh out loud

Wake_N_Bake fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 9, 2016

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I can't even stand the 30 second commercial for flophouse. Utter garbage.

You'd like The Flop House, they never run that ad.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
Yeah, Eliot in particular takes a certain amount of immunization against, because he's trying to be irritating in one very, very short part of the podcast (letters song) as a way to get laughs and if you're not in the mood, you bounce right off of it. If you know what it's going for, it becomes a charming little thing, and honestly if you can take his, "daba dee daba dow," bit in the Switcheroo episode, you'll do fine with the Flophouse. Dan and Stuart are aces, though.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like We Hate Movies, but I'll admit that since I started listening to all the McElroy shows I haven't had time to go back to them. There's just too many podcasts.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

Yeah, Eliot in particular takes a certain amount of immunization against, because he's trying to be irritating in one very, very short part of the podcast (letters song) as a way to get laughs and if you're not in the mood, you bounce right off of it. If you know what it's going for, it becomes a charming little thing, and honestly if you can take his, "daba dee daba dow," bit in the Switcheroo episode, you'll do fine with the Flophouse. Dan and Stuart are aces, though.

Eliot's weird cartoon voice is what got me into listening to The Flop House. Dude is also weirdly knowledgeable about old movies and gives interesting suggestions to watch. He's definitely my favorite of the three, although I could stand to have more of Dan and Stuart talking since they sometimes get talked over by Eliot.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
One of the things that first got me into The Flop House is simply that the hosts all have SUCH DIFFERENT VOICES. Too many podcast hosts sound more or less identical to each other. It's refreshing. (They are also hilarious and have a great dynamic, and unlike HDTGH they don't just yell "WHAT??" real loud ten times an episode)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Someone in this thread a while back said that the first flophouse ad sounded exactly like one person doing three different voices and I think of it every time they come up

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

PBS Newshour posted:

Because of his self deprecation I sometimes forget that Griffin is like amazing good at stuff. Like TAZ is a good showcase for the reasons stated above, but then like his polygon videos have like an amazing amount of detail put into I'm impressed with. Dude is just legitimately talented, I mean all three are beyond just being funny but it's really easy to forget with how they present themselves.

Griffin put the most effort into making his "die in your sleep" jokes scan last week. He's legit.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Modern Leper posted:

Griffin put the most effort into making his "die in your sleep" jokes scan last week. He's legit.

Christ that whole segment was hilarious though

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Travis343 posted:

When he brought up Persona 4 (which, given his an Justin's pedigree, is surprising that video games aren't mentioned more often) it cemented the bit as one of my favourites.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Morpheus posted:

When he brought up Persona 4 (which, given his an Justin's pedigree, is surprising that video games aren't mentioned more often) it cemented the bit as one of my favourites.

That's one thing that's great about the McElroys is they are careful not to let it become a video game comedy podcast. They don't want to give it that kind of atmosphere, but on the rare occasions that a video game joke is called for they will use that expertise and completely slay it.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVi8llsYkhQ

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'm frankly really surprised he managed to avoid the DMPC trap (for those of you who are unfamiliar, a DMPC is a character played by the DM who is inserted basically as their own player character, and is usually super overpowered and does everything with/for the party), which pretty much every single first time GM I've seen has fallen into.

I remember he said that Angus was meant to be sort of a rogue in rockport limited? That's the only time I can think of where he mentioned a character being created to fill a role in the party.

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/774363394430361600 oh jesus christ

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 9, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Serf posted:

Eliot's weird cartoon voice is what got me into listening to The Flop House. Dude is also weirdly knowledgeable about old movies and gives interesting suggestions to watch. He's definitely my favorite of the three, although I could stand to have more of Dan and Stuart talking since they sometimes get talked over by Eliot.

Eliot's weird cartoon voice is what keeps me from listening to The Flop House. I don't care how funny he is, I don't think I'd be able to stand an hour or whatever of listening to someone who sounds like Shmorky went through puberty

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Busto is the seventh Grand Relic.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
You know, between Car Boys, Nuzlocke, MBMBAM, TAZ, and the Amiibo corner, Griffin and the boys have themselves a pretty little pantheon of gods and saints lined up.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Greatbacon posted:

You know, between Car Boys, Nuzlocke, MBMBAM, TAZ, and the Amiibo corner, Griffin and the boys have themselves a pretty little pantheon of gods and saints lined up.

And Devils if you count monster factory

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Democratic Pirate posted:

And Devils if you count monster factory

Hush, they are all flawless angels

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Beekeeping and You posted:

I remember he said that Angus was meant to be sort of a rogue in rockport limited? That's the only time I can think of where he mentioned a character being created to fill a role in the party.

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/774363394430361600 oh jesus christ

Am I missing something? Are these just screenshots of the last Car Boys?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Am I missing something? Are these just screenshots of the last Car Boys?

what's the most famous 4-panel internet comic in existence?

loss.jpg

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Luneshot posted:

what's the most famous 4-panel internet comic in existence?

loss.jpg

Oh goddamnit

Edit: Wow I'm dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Travis343 posted:

archived for your sick pleasure. u sick fuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX42e1gOOFs