Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

I still don't get Frontier-math. In 100 minutes I could travel from one side of the bubble and back in an FDL with a D-class FSD. Why would I pay a service to transport my ship if for that time I can do it myself? Thanks to all those loading times inbetween jumps I don't even have to stop reading my book to concentrate on the game.

I don't even understand why this poll is happening, or where this god awful brainwave came from. Why now? After over a year of this game and it's progression, why get up in arms about this long settled gameplay mechanic that's convenient as is now? It's all so strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
What are the odds that once they add this, you'll be able to start a 100 minute transfer and then fly to the ship's original location before the 100 minutes are done and gently caress poo poo up by moving the ship manually? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there's going to be at least one ship dupe sploits happening out of this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I look forward to bugs like "my ship never turned up WTF it's lost and now I can't reclaim it on insurance".

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

DancingShade posted:

I look forward to bugs like "my ship never turned up WTF it's lost and now I can't reclaim it on insurance".

This is a positive thing as it simulates your ship being hijacked by pirates and shady insurance companies claiming it's an act of spacegod and therefore doesn't fit under your plan. It's important that this happens to you because it increases my autism.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

This is a positive thing as it simulates your ship being hijacked by pirates and shady insurance companies claiming it's an act of spacegod and therefore doesn't fit under your plan. It's important that this happens to you because it increases my autism.

Gods have mercy if space police doesnt return my cutter with a 30ft. dick graffity after being hijacked by pirates.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My autistic immersion demands that any ship insurance claim take a minimum 2-4 weeks like any other expedited insurance claim.

And there better be a lot of forms to fill in.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

hemophilia posted:

Hey guys, just gott say, played with a few frog goons tonight, got tons of good advice and patient answers to dumb questions and these guys are really good at taking some of the pain away of learning the finer points of this game. If you don't necessarily want to just play solo you should definitely consider their outfit.

How much do I miss out without a mic?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Quicksilver6 posted:

I don't even understand why this poll is happening, or where this god awful brainwave came from. Why now? After over a year of this game and it's progression, why get up in arms about this long settled gameplay mechanic that's convenient as is now? It's all so strange.

Because frontier is terrible and it's only after a year of this game and it's progression that they are adding the feature. Right now there is no way to move or transport ships or modules except to fly them.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Einbauschrank posted:

We hardly ever use vocoms except for PvP ops so not much.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Einbauschrank posted:

No-one will hear you when you make fart noises in response to someone doing or saying something stupid. It is the greatest loss of all.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Watching you guys sperg about features you don't even have is just fabulous. If they never even mentioned it being instant in the first place nobody would care and we would all be rejoicing the ability to not have to taxi our poo poo everywhere ourselves.

Instead the universe immediately and forever owes you this feature and frontier are a bunch of sadists for even considering adjusting it.

Gamers are the worst, this thread is no different than "the brown sea".

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Einbauschrank posted:

The mic effect is pretty boss but nobody actually uses them so zilch.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

Watching you guys sperg about features you don't even have is just fabulous. If they never even mentioned it being instant in the first place nobody would care and we would all be rejoicing the ability to not have to taxi our poo poo everywhere ourselves.

Let me introduce you to this little thing called "managing expectations"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
the ship transfer debate is the best/funniest thing to happen in this thread

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

Sorry but this is strictly false. People have been complaining here about all the ways the game is a timesink for a long time. Everything from supercruise, trying to get across the bubble in anything with a lackluster jump range, every single thing about the engineers mechanics before the rebalance, etc. An explicit timer that really only makes the game more punishing to play than it needs to be is a whole new step in the wrong direction on a subject that has been contentious since the game's release.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Can someone do a brief rundown of what core module modifications are worth it?

Apparently the only good FSD mod is enhanced range, and for the most part the distributor is Charge Enhanced. What others are considered the de facto choice or should be avoided at all costs, particularly for shields or shield boosters?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

Gamers are the worst, this thread is no different than "the brown sea".

Ain't that the truth.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
One time Frontier said "srvs having fuel management is not fun" then the brown sea bitched and so now our highly advanced future buggies run on gunpowder, counter to what the lead designer had originally said.
This time they said "Instant transfers because waiting is not fun" and the brown sea swelled again and now will go counter to what the same lead designer said initially.
Like yeah sure bitch about people bitching because you yourself want to be cool on an interest message board in a specific video game that curates a hellacious form of spectrum flavor but what would you rather have us talk about in the Elite dangerous thread? How cool we all are because we care about space videogame but only just enough to not get called a space nerd?

lmao

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

BitBasher posted:

Apparently the only good FSD mod is enhanced range, and for the most part the distributor is Charge Enhanced. What others are considered the de facto choice or should be avoided at all costs, particularly for shields or shield boosters?

I have been putting Thermal resistance on the main shield and heavy duty on the boosters, those tend to get a few resist rolls here and there anyway.

Resists cap out at 75% and that certainly seems to be worth doing but I've not had the patience to do that on my ships as you basically need to mix a bunch of boosters of different resists types till you hit the cap.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I have been thinking about transfers and wondering if the grognards would be happy with instant transfers if you could only do them to and from a certain port. Like you have a "home base" you designate and if you're at the location of another ship of yours, you can transfer it there, and if you're at your Home Base, you can transfer any ship you have there to any other station. I feel like there isn't enough in this game that establishes an "ownership" of space or anything, and we're all essentially hobos riding the space rails, leaving our ships wherever.

It's also a system that could be built on. Giving you a small discount to commodities bought and a small bonus to commodities sold, applying the LYR discount on ships and modules, giving you a small bonus to bounties turned in.

Most importantly in my dream system you have access to engineers without having to trek all over the goddamn bubble. Like you have access to every engineer mod at one level less than you would if you were there personally, and you have one engineer that you can have the max rank mods from.

Anyway this is my thing, thanks for reading.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Pretty sure I cover what the stats do in my guide. There's no easy answer for anything beyond the FSD mods, since there's only 1 good FSD mod to apply.

Anyhow, seems a good a time to plug my guide as any, so here you go: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14F5pbks7dpEOGaVlhE8b-i2hJg2ufj31wuaMq8Ro-iw/edit?usp=sharing

Recent Updates:

Common Modules

Stats and what they mean, what's good/what's bad

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Huh I wasn't playing during the SRV fuel thing but that's hilarious because I was always amazed at the pointlessness of the whole thing. It's not even that hard to refuel, just a nuisance.

You can pack stardust into a ship not much bigger than a small house and travel on a scale of light years but we can't hand wave away "solar panels and/or really good batteries" for SRVs. I should have guessed that the brown sailors asked for it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I'm confused by the difference between Concordant Sequence and Regeneration Sequence for lasers. Which one is better to have in a hazrez with friends? Are they both just as good?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BitBasher posted:

Boosters:
Dirty Drives make you go stupid quick. Posting from my 470 m/s python, Para has a Imp C that goes like 900 m/s or something absurd. Your ship is very very hot now.
Clean drives make your ship a little faster, but much, much, much cooler. Excellent for Stealth builds and explorers.
Drive Strengthening could work for explorer builds if you were really just super paranoid, but it makes your ship go slower and therefore is in the garbage can.

Power Distributor:
Charge Enhanced. Everything else is big ol' garbo.

FSD:
Range extender. everything else is, you guessed it, garbo.

Powerplant:
Each of these can be worth it, depending on your build. Overcharged can enable some builds that wouldn't exist otherwise, armored can keep you alive if you've got the power to spare, and low emissions is good for explorers and stealth builds

Armor:
There's no reason every ship you own shouldn't have Heavy Duty Armor I on it, at least. The others are alright, but Heavy Duty Armor is just the best one.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Panch posted:

Huh I wasn't playing during the SRV fuel thing but that's hilarious because I was always amazed at the pointlessness of the whole thing. It's not even that hard to refuel, just a nuisance.

You can pack stardust into a ship not much bigger than a small house and travel on a scale of light years but we can't hand wave away "solar panels and/or really good batteries" for SRVs. I should have guessed that the brown sailors asked for it.

at horizons launch fuel consumption was such that you would burn through a tank in half an hour in an SRV.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Mike the TV posted:

I'm confused by the difference between Concordant Sequence and Regeneration Sequence for lasers. Which one is better to have in a hazrez with friends? Are they both just as good?

They do different things. Regeneration sequence heals shields for as long as you're hitting them. Concordant sequence adds a regeneration buff to any wingmates it hits, for like 10 seconds. Regen is faster, but concordant doesn't require you to babysit the target.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Bushiz posted:

Boosters:
Dirty Drives make you go stupid quick. Posting from my 470 m/s python, Para has a Imp C that goes like 900 m/s or something absurd. Your ship is very very hot now.
Clean drives make your ship a little faster, but much, much, much cooler. Excellent for Stealth builds and explorers.
Drive Strengthening could work for explorer builds if you were really just super paranoid, but it makes your ship go slower and therefore is in the garbage can.

Power Distributor:
Charge Enhanced. Everything else is big ol' garbo.

FSD:
Range extender. everything else is, you guessed it, garbo.

Powerplant:
Each of these can be worth it, depending on your build. Overcharged can enable some builds that wouldn't exist otherwise, armored can keep you alive if you've got the power to spare, and low emissions is good for explorers and stealth builds

Armor:
There's no reason every ship you own shouldn't have Heavy Duty Armor I on it, at least. The others are alright, but Heavy Duty Armor is just the best one.

mostly accurate, but missing some things:

Power Distributor: WEP and ENG focused mods do have some use, but it's situational. You should really know what you're doing before picking either of these. If you don't want to think about it and just want an easy default answer, then Charge Enhanced is a good choice.

Power Plant: Overcharge is good, but you only apply as high a grade as you need. The higher the grade, the worse your power plant becomes at getting rid of heat. Keep that in mind.

Armor: If you're using lightweight bulkheads (stock bulkheads) you should always put on the reinforced mod, as high as you can get it, since the mass penalty doesn't apply to lightweight bulkheads. The jury is still out on whether Military Spec armor with lightweight is worse/better than Lightweight armor with Heavy reinforcement. Maybe some math nerd can do math about it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

KakerMix posted:

One time Frontier said "srvs having fuel management is not fun" then the brown sea bitched and so now our highly advanced future buggies run on gunpowder, counter to what the lead designer had originally said.

I find this mindbending because If anything buggies just need electricity to turn the wheels. A small reactor would literally run a buggy for years with no fuel at all to replace in the short run. The only thing on one that would need fuel is the thrusters/jumpjets/whatever. It's more plausible for them to not use fuel than to use fuel. Why the gently caress would I use fuel to turn my wheels?

Bushiz posted:

Posting from my 470 m/s python, Para has a Imp C that goes like 900 m/s or something absurd. Your ship is very very hot now.

Holy poo poo. What's the max speed when you aren't boosting?

Also, what part of the ship handles heat dispersion? The Power plant? We don't have a radiator part listed.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Passive heat dumping rate (as opposed to using heat sinks) is mainly determined by the hull you're flying. Diamondbacks run crazy cold for example. The power plant's heat rating factors in significantly too, but I don't know the actual equation for how it all comes together.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Do clean drives affect the amount of ambient heat created by the thrusters in super cruise? Is this the same deal with low power shields?

I know the thrusters affect the heat generated flailing around on a planet, but I'm wondering if there's actually any noticeable gains from upgrading my shields and thrusters even more so that I can feel safer starting my FSD charge even sooner before I'm done scooping while exploring.

I think my ship runs at an ambient like ~22% in super cruise away from a star. It has a more or less "best case" roll for the FSD and decent T3 clean drives. I would go back and upgrade even more if I thought I could improve my heat situation even more, but I don't know if it's worth it or if stars will cook me more or less just as fast.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
As a general rule, always use dirtay drives. They are too good not to. The only reason you would use clean is with an SR build. And as a second general rule, dont fly an SR build anymore.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Slashrat posted:

Passive heat dumping rate (as opposed to using heat sinks) is mainly determined by the hull you're flying. Diamondbacks run crazy cold for example. The power plant's heat rating factors in significantly too, but I don't know the actual equation for how it all comes together.

I can't seem to find in game anything that tells me the heat profile of ship's hulls. Shouldn't this be somewhere on the ship info screen when buying a ship?

For that matter how can I tell how much heat each of my components are contributing to by generated heat total at min/max? How do I know if it's more efficient to use a cooler Power Plant or Thrusters or what have you?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Panch posted:

Do clean drives affect the amount of ambient heat created by the thrusters in super cruise? Is this the same deal with low power shields?

I know the thrusters affect the heat generated flailing around on a planet, but I'm wondering if there's actually any noticeable gains from upgrading my shields and thrusters even more so that I can feel safer starting my FSD charge even sooner before I'm done scooping while exploring.

I think my ship runs at an ambient like ~22% in super cruise away from a star. It has a more or less "best case" roll for the FSD and decent T3 clean drives. I would go back and upgrade even more if I thought I could improve my heat situation even more, but I don't know if it's worth it or if stars will cook me more or less just as fast.

I've set up my exploration ships with pretty much low-powered/low-emission everything and my conclusion is… meh. It's maybe 1–2% less, which isn't really worth the bother. It lets you be a tiny bit sloppier when you fuel scoop and you get a few more seconds between purges if you get squeezed between binaries. A tiny bit of care and attention is all you need to avoid any of those problems to begin with and is a small price to pay compared to having to deal with the engineers.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 9, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

BitBasher posted:

I can't seem to find in game anything that tells me the heat profile of ship's hulls. Shouldn't this be somewhere on the ship info screen when buying a ship?

For that matter how can I tell how much heat each of my components are contributing to by generated heat total at min/max? How do I know if it's more efficient to use a cooler Power Plant or Thrusters or what have you?

You can spreadsheet all of that out if you want, but I don't really think this is the kind of game which rewards that level of :spergin: like, for instance, Eve Online does.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Slashrat posted:

Powerplants generate heat based on how much power they are producing, how much heat is determined by powerplant grade. A 2A plant and a 3A plant powering 3mw of modules will both produce the same amount of heat. Thursters also produce heat though it's usually negligible on most ships until you get dirty drive tuning.

IIRC there aren't any listed values for how well each ship radiates heat.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

Instead the universe immediately and forever owes you this feature and frontier are a bunch of sadists for even considering adjusting it.

I don't know about owing us anything but they're definitely a bunch of sadists for adjusting it. Or rather their idiot fanbase.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

I don't know about owing us anything but they're definitely a bunch of sadists for adjusting it. Or rather their idiot fanbase.

Yeah, the argument "but what about the strategy" I had to read on the forum is among the most idiotic ones ever uttered. Because having to fly more often through witch space is so strategic, only the most keen base dwellers can think of it. I knew a guy in school who liked to fly the A320 flight simulator. After taking off, which was quite callenging, he would switch on the autopilot and fly in real time over the Atlantic. This was in 1992. People like him are responsible for delayed ship transfers.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 10, 2016

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Can someone please explain what all this drama is all about : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/287437-Frontier-you-have-reached-a-new-low

It looks like it was delicious but I don't understand what happened....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FileNotFound posted:

Can someone please explain what all this drama is all about : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/287437-Frontier-you-have-reached-a-new-low

It looks like it was delicious but I don't understand what happened....

Ahahaha I get it.

SEPP was the big anti GALCOP banner that everyone not EGP rallied to to ensure GALCOP didn't win. Or they rallied to that banner and promoted it. I forget.

Now EGP who won instead of GALCOP are getting SEPP's home system as a powerplay control point and they're now officially minions/clients of EGP. loving lol.

Oh apparently the OP of that thread was banned somewhere in the first 37 pages.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 10, 2016

• Locked thread