Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Superterranean posted:

Captain Marvel's black is actually pretty OK as a pocket stun when you need one. And she is a puzzle for 5* teams attacking her, especially Marvel/OML/PHX, because their match damage is high enough that hitting her makes black for OML's ridiculously good strike tiles and red for Phoenix's cheap red. who do you take out first? OML, who heals a lot, Phoenix, who comes back and then hands you your rear end, or Marvel who accelerates both the others?

I just don't think 9 black AP is worth 2500-ish damage and a 2 turn stun. there's a lot of competition for black AP users, even at the 3* tier, and I don't believe her ability is competitive enough on its own to push her into the "always useful" category.

I guess I can't comment on what the meta looks like at the 5* tier because that is a level of play I will never reach, but I have to imagine that her low HP pool (relative to the rest of the 5* tier) renders her more-or-less a non-threat; if you can nuke her to 0 health in one round, her AP generation doesn't even happen, and nuking a 3* hero in 1 round is not a hugely difficult feat for a 5* hero to accomplish.

edit: I think Capt Marvel suffers much like Psylock, where her core skill set is decent in theory, but it needs to be boosted or re-tooled to make her more relevant in the current meta. the damage on her red and her black are way too low to be worth the AP they cost, especially considering that there are a ton of heroes who use red and black AP, and you're always going to have to measure her usefulness against those abilities.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Superterranean posted:

Captain Marvel's black is actually pretty OK as a pocket stun when you need one. And she is a puzzle for 5* teams attacking her, especially Marvel/OML/PHX, because their match damage is high enough that hitting her makes black for OML's ridiculously good strike tiles and red for Phoenix's cheap red. who do you take out first? OML, who heals a lot, Phoenix, who comes back and then hands you your rear end, or Marvel who accelerates both the others?

Well to be fair, 5 star teams can save the ap and obliterate her after laying into one of the other two doofuses for ap.

Marvel doesn't automatically come to the front line. And doesn't produce ap if she's killed.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I had a looooot of trouble during the captain marvel event if I didn't get enough ap to one-shot her before I downed the others. It was a terrible event for me. And my Old Man Logan tanked all her colors so I couldn't even get ap from putting her in the front.

And now it's boosted Red Hulk week :doh:

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Apparently the official forums are having a collective melt down over some kind of stealth nerf to "cupcaking" but I have no idea what the hell it means and nobody is offering an explanation amid their usual empty threats to stop spending money.

All I can gather is you can no longer bake cupcakes and they're also worried about baking steaks.

Does anyone familiar with these terms know what the gently caress? I'm genuinely curious because of how hard these people are taking this, it's pretty funny.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Super Steve was boosted for the Marvel event. Let IM40 tag along, throw shileds all day

There are not enough stuns for a boosted rhulk

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Apparently the official forums are having a collective melt down over some kind of stealth nerf to "cupcaking" but I have no idea what the hell it means and nobody is offering an explanation amid their usual empty threats to stop spending money.

All I can gather is you can no longer bake cupcakes and they're also worried about baking steaks.

Does anyone familiar with these terms know what the gently caress? I'm genuinely curious because of how hard these people are taking this, it's pretty funny.

Interesting. I just loaded up on cupcakes about 3 hours ago, i better check Line

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Pretty upset if I can't bake cupcakes anymore but who in the hell bakes a steak?

Also I have no idea what they really mean either.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Chuds McGreedy posted:

basically the only way to reach the highest level progression rewards in PVP events turned into abusing an unintended quirk of the way that shields and your opponent nodes interacted. the idea is you shield up (to cover your points) and then just start skipping thru other teams on each PVP node until you have 3 nodes that are a piss-easy team and also worth 50+ points. then, you break your shield, wipe those three nodes out as fast as possible, and then shield back up. you repeat this n+1 times until you hit whatever arbitrary PVP score you want, and then you put on a 24 hour shield so no one else can take your points.

it gets even crazier, because well organized alliances would coordinate outside the game, so if one guy was hunting for easy nodes and found your team and realized he could beat your team easily for a ton of points, he would tell the other 19 people in his alliance "hey skip your nodes in the PVP event until you find 'Poor Bastard' and then we can all hit him at once". the idea is that if they each found you individually, you would be worth progressively less points after each person attacked you, but by having everyone in their alliance queue you up on a node and then attack you more-or-less simultaneously, the game doesn't update to show you taking 20 different losses, it shows you taking 1 loss 20 times, so you lose maximum points each time.

if you've ever been hit in PVP with like an hour to go and 10 people blasted you for like -150 points, you were probably a victim of the cupcake bullshit. the only way to really protect yourself (outside of having a very low PVP score or always being shielded) would be to also be in a hyper aggressive alliance, because then there's a cold-war style truce where no big alliance wants to queue a guy from another big alliance because they don't want to waste time with all of the inevitable retaliation.

anyway, it looks like D3 stealth changed the PVP queue system for the human torch event without saying anything, such that now when you shield up, you can't infinitely browse nodes until you find 3 baby teams that are worth 1000 points each, and so naturally everyone that was abusing that system is making GBS threads themselves in impotent rage.

edit: obviously this entire PVP strategy of using multiple shields per event cost a ton of HP, which means it actually cost a ton of real $$$, which means the sense of entitlement that these PVP kings feel is immense. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN NO LONGER ABUSE THE PVP SYSTEM TO BE KING OF TOUGH poo poo MOUNTAIN? I GAVE YOU MONEY D3 YOU loving OWE MEEEEEEEEEEEEARGHBFJBASUIFHRGGER"

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 9, 2016

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Welp like an idiot I opened my legendary tokens. Bruce Banner is great, Bucky Barnes is okay, but I'm still in the only my 2* are useful stage, so I've really screwed myself.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 9, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mykkel posted:

Welp like an idiot I opened my legendary tokens. Bruce Banner is great, Bucky Barnes is okay, but I'm still in the nly my 2* are useful stage, so I've really screwed myself.

Nah just let Bruce carry you to every victory.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's not really what cupcakes are at all. That's just calling out dumbass targets dumb enough to try to play at the busiest time and keep a score. You are going to get murdered the last 3 hours of a PVP event no matter what your roster is. If you are worth points there is someone bigger and badder than you that will take them away from you.

Cupcakes work like this:

Alliances communicate outside of the game on LINE and coordinate with each other to boost their PVP scores to ridiculous levels. The only limit is the amount of HP you want to spend on shields really. It's common to see players score well north of 2500 points in PVP.

All these players get together to coordinate shield hops. It starts like this:

Strong player uses his strong roster to reach say 800 points early in the event. They might save a seed team, or once you get a high enough score you start seeing easy teams again worth single digit points.

Player announces to his buddies that he is going to "bake" a cupcake using the easy team node he found. A cupcake is an easy to beat team that usually consists of the loaner featured character and 2 1* toons.

Player defeats the easy team with the loaner character and 2 level 1 toons, usually by using a 4* champion teamup that does stupid amounts of damage. Carnage is a favorite of my alliance.

Player tells everyone to queue him now while he has an easy to beat team out but is worth a bunch of points. These players do NOT attack him immediately. (hitting an unshielded cupcake is super serious business :rolleyes: and people will hunt you down in game for doing it)

Player plays a match with his usual team during which time the last team he won with is out there for the world to see. He wins the match, the defense team changes from the cupcake to his normal team and then he shields.

Player tells all his buddies he is shielded and they all attack for a bunch of points while Player is shielded. Player loses no points. Everyone gains +70 or whatever.

Those buddies then all create cupcakes off of other peoples cupcakes, and the cycle feeds itself and everyone scores massive points. Once everyone gets going all 3 of your nodes are high point cupcakes, and you can gain 225 points in about 5 minutes during a shield hop. Some folks have figured out how to double up the cupcakes and gain closer to 500 pts a hop.

It's just gaming the system, if they change it people will find another way to game the system. I honestly don't see the downside of doing this, the amount of points available to everyone goes up dramatically, the players spend more money on the game. There are some crybabies that don't want to take advantage of the system, and that's their choice on how to play the game, but they're feeding of the increased points due to this as well. Some of those crybabies love to attack me in PVP. I wouldn't be worth as many points if I didn't participate in gaming the system with everyone else, and they would lose the indirect benefit of me having so many points. I also wouldn't have spent the amount of money I have on the game.

There's an alliance in the game that basically owns an entire slice. They're stupid powerful and no one can really challenge them. They all coordinate so only 5 of them go into each PVP bracket and they basically always come in the top 5 positions to maximize rewards.

Here's an example. A nice guy that bakes for everyone.

His normal roster which can wreck the poo poo of all but the top 0.5% of players

a cupcake he bakes for people

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

skipdogg posted:

That's not really what cupcakes are at all.

whether or not it's abusing an oversight in the mechanics, the processes you and I are both describing are incredibly obtuse to anyone who is playing the game without also spending a fair amount of time outside the game reading information from other people who have dismantled the game systems.

in any case, it seems like there's a better way of handling PVP; the optimal way to interact with a game shouldn't be in a very convoluted manner that isn't explained anywhere in the game's actual systems. they could let you pick a set "defense" team for each PVP event, or they could make you choose your line-up the first time you join a slice and then you have to use only those 3 heroes for the entire PVP event, or they could start using your Shield Clearance Level to gate which "level" of people you even see in a PVP event, or a hundred other different things.

the current system doesn't really benefit anybody except for the people who are already able to abuse it. oh sure, maybe a rando manages to come across your cupcake team by pure chance once-in-a-while, but on the whole that's not the type of person who is benefiting from the current PVP system.

Mykkel posted:

Welp like an idiot I opened my legendary tokens. Bruce Banner is great, Bucky Barnes is okay, but I'm still in the only my 2* are useful stage, so I've really screwed myself.

yeah, supposedly the PVE scaling is supposed to take 5* heroes completely out the event difficulty calculations, but of course the D3 forums will hotly debate whether or not that is actually happening. Devs say it does, users say nuh-uh. having a single 5* guy won't make the game unplayable for you, and it'll make clearing the trash nodes much faster. if nothing else, use the 5* to go back to the prologue and literally clear every node of every reward in record time. all those 70 and 100 iso rewards add up when you full clear all 6 prologue chapters.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They are going to gently caress with the DDQ again. Apparently the first wave is too easy.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MarcusSA posted:

They are going to gently caress with the DDQ again. Apparently the first wave is too easy.

D3's war against f2p/low level (1-early 3* rosters) will never not be funny. I mean, it sucks donkey balls, but is kind of silly how determined they are. I've got 4 champed 3*s so far and can usually clear the DDQ on the first try, but it's already not a guarantee, and is about the only steady source of progression I've got.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MarcusSA posted:

Correct. The first wave has usually been bots that you can farm a poo poo ton of AP off off and then just destroy the next 3 rounds. Now they're putting board movers in round 1, but making the later rounds easier.

Traditionally waves 1 and 3 were goons, and waves 2 and 4 had actual characters in them. Way too easy to save AP off waves 1 and 3, and destroy waves 2 and 4 without the AI getting a move in.

I won't disagree with you, but the game developers are in an interesting position. The casual player who doesn't coordinate with an alliance or work outside the game probably doesn't spend a whole lot of money on the game (if any) while the people that do spend a lot on the game.

Now they're not making this game for fun, or to create a nice fair even playing field for everyone, they want to keep people spending money. Some of those guys spends a hundred+ bucks a month on the game, just on shields. I'm not talking about the mega whales that spend thousands to max the new 5*, just the higher tier top 10 alliance guys. A huge chunk of their revenue is based on folks spending HP on shields, if they take away the incentive to do so, they're hurting themselves financially.

It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

skipdogg posted:

Now they're not making this game for fun, or to create a nice fair even playing field for everyone, they want to keep people spending money . . . if they take away the incentive to do so, they're hurting themselves financially.

oh sure, I get that the point of any for-profit business is to make a profit. I still think there's a better way for them to keep nickel and diming the people who want to spend $100/month on a poop break game and rework PVP so that the only way to "win" isn't interacting with the game systems in an extremely non-obvious way that only a few people can afford the free-time and/or money to do in the first place. honestly, I could see them offering better VIP Rewards, or monthly tiers of VIP Rewards, or tying your VIP Reward subscription to some kind of special PVP bracket or content. That way the people who want to pay-to-win still get to do so, and everyone else gets to play a game that doesn't completely screw them for trying to compete against people who have money to burn.

I still think it'd be an interesting solution for D3 to literally create a binary "have you ever spent money on this game yes/no" system where people who truly have spent $0.00 on their account play in their own pool of users, and if you've even bought one HP pack or Token pack or whatever, you can't play in that pool ever again. Or on the other side, if you opt into the VIP Rewards, you now get to play only with people who are also paying for VIP Rewards.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I secretly wish they do break cupcakes. It'll give me the incentive to finally stop playing this stupid game.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I'm actually all for getting rid of cupcakes if they make it easier to reach 1300 without them. I have a solid roster (5 champed 4*, 20 champed 3*) and play with LINE in a good alliance but just don't have the time to do the whole cupcake thing, so I very rarely get much above 1000 in an event.

But then this is D3 we're talking about so they'll probably mess it up.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It won't, it'll make it harder to score higher. All the easy points will be gone, and we'll be bigger targets. My roster is about where yours is. (I just champed my 6th 4*), and 1K will probably be a struggle. I know I can hit 1K without the cakes, but I can kiss 1300 goodbye.

I'm at 1190 right now in current PVP and can't find a match worth more than 30 points, and that dude is champ 383 Rhulk, 390 OML and 330 HT. Most of my matches are 4 to 6 points right now.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

MarcusSA posted:

Hey remember when those thieves and liars said they were going to stop leaning so heavily on symbiotes and ultron sentries in DDQ waves, and then didn't change a god drat thing? I do.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Hey remember when those thieves and liars said they were going to stop leaning so heavily on symbiotes and ultron sentries in DDQ waves, and then didn't change a god drat thing? I do.

to be fair, i haven't literally seen Ultron in a DDQ in forever, so they technically didn't lie.

i miss the original DDQ format where you knew waves 1 and 3 were mook waves and 2 and 4 were hero waves and you could plan accordingly. currently you can start wave 1 against a mid-level 4* hero, which is all kinds of weird depending on who the hero is and which mooks are with him/her.

Invisible Woman in wave 1? big snooze, farm some AP son!

Kingpin in wave 1 with mooks that constantly drop countdowns and generate black AP (shinobi is ace here)? ha ha ha ha gtfo if you're not a solid 3* roster i guess.

i'm trying to remember, when i was going from 2* to 3* they introduced DDQ, and I think my lineup was OBW/2* Cap/2* Thor because they covered all the colors, Cap can overwrite danger tiles and stun, and OBW can heal and also delay. there's probably other rosters you could run, but OBW/2* Cap/<other> is pretty strong for getting DDQ into farm mode.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

skipdogg posted:

Correct. The first wave has usually been bots that you can farm a poo poo ton of AP off off and then just destroy the next 3 rounds. Now they're putting board movers in round 1, but making the later rounds easier.

Traditionally waves 1 and 3 were goons, and waves 2 and 4 had actual characters in them. Way too easy to save AP off waves 1 and 3, and destroy waves 2 and 4 without the AI getting a move in.

Bummer they're going to try to nerf my OML/Black Panther/Daredevil combo. They'll still crush but there's less of a chance of me taking no damage during it.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Death of cupcakes today was supposedly just a glitch, people are queuing then up again. But they did say they're trying to kill them in the near future, so we'll see.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Clearance levels somewhat explained

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50744

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

holy hell that sounds baller as gently caress based on the little info they have provided. you mean now i don't have to grind through 10 tiers of pointless rewards in every PVE event before i even have a chance at maybe getting a cover that i would actually want? and there should logically be less competition at each bracket, because now you're diving the player base by time slice and clearance slice.

i can definitely see an issue though, much like now, where if you can handle the tier 10 slice it might actually give you better ISO payout to opt into the tier 1 slice and just run the table and grind every node to zero. better to be the king of the shitheap than trying to fight other whales for a bigger prize. maybe they make the lower tier rewards diminishing once you start to out level them?

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Looks like it'll be fun to try out and shake things up a little. They won me over recently with PvE when they were making the current system and I hit the cp progression reward at the end of an event for the first time ever, not to mention when shield ranks debuted and dropped a fat stack of iso on all of us.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
every event they've added a bit more onto the required points though. you almost need to 4 clear every node to get the CP on this one

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Thaddius the Large posted:

D3's war against f2p/low level (1-early 3* rosters) will never not be funny. I mean, it sucks donkey balls, but is kind of silly how determined they are. I've got 4 champed 3*s so far and can usually clear the DDQ on the first try, but it's already not a guarantee, and is about the only steady source of progression I've got.

they like to chase new revenue sources away, whale up from day 1 or leave.

you can pretty much buy your way into 4-5 star territory

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

The new system for me is very dependent on how many 4 stars i can get because i dont feel like champing the rest of these 3 stars.

I've hit lazy cap(well soon), hulk,iron fist, cyc, grey suit, lazy cap, luke and kamala champed.
a bunch of the other good guys max covered (loki, hood, patch)

I don't feel like going through the other losers just to hit a clearence level so i can go through 40 4 stars. Im also sitting on basically every 4 star I want besides iceman and jean and hulk buster {I know :/, they're at like 3 a piece though } between 5-8 covers.

I can't help but feel this is all to ease the blow of a possible like 6 star tier or some poo poo, or like the glowing 5 stars or something.

Whales are already champing 5's in a single day, i don't see them skipping out on playing into it and having them go after something even more whaley.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

SectumSempra posted:

The new system for me is very dependent on how many 4 stars i can get because i dont feel like champing the rest of these 3 stars.

I've hit lazy cap(well soon), hulk,iron fist, cyc, grey suit, lazy cap, luke and kamala champed.
a bunch of the other good guys max covered (loki, hood, patch)

I don't feel like going through the other losers just to hit a clearence level so i can go through 40 4 stars. Im also sitting on basically every 4 star I want besides iceman and jean and hulk buster {I know :/, they're at like 3 a piece though } between 5-8 covers.

I can't help but feel this is all to ease the blow of a possible like 6 star tier or some poo poo, or like the glowing 5 stars or something.

Whales are already champing 5's in a single day, i don't see them skipping out on playing into it and having them go after something even more whaley.

6* heroes will happen, for sure. hell, 10* heroes will happen unless d3 goes out of business or the game experiences a massive overhaul in core functionality. it's all just a matter of time, and a question of how much you're willing to spend to stay on the cutting edge of content. there's no reason for them not to make n+1* heroes, because if they ever stop the progression treadmill, the game basically ends.

also the insidious thing about champing every 3* hero is that a fair few of them spit out covers for 4* heroes on their champ reward track that are more valuable than the 3* hero. like IF gives out HB covers, that's a pretty equal trade because you'd want both those guys, but then the only hero to give out 4* jean covers (who you really want) is 3* beast (who you generally do not want). so even if you don't want to champ all the 3* heroes, it's at least worth checking the d3 forums for the master list of 3* champ rewards and seeing what 3* heroes give out which 4* covers and at least champing the 3* heroes that feed the 4* covers you want.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought Beast was considered good now?

But yeah, I'm trying to focus on 3*s that give 4*s I want. Mainly Cyclops and Vision for 4* Cyclops.

Sadly, the only 4*s I've gotten from Championing so far are Mr. Fantastic (Black Panther), Hulkbuster (already maxed, from IF), Elektra (Punisher), and Nick Fury (Grey Widow).

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I thought Beast was considered good now?

But yeah, I'm trying to focus on 3*s that give 4*s I want. Mainly Cyclops and Vision for 4* Cyclops.

Sadly, the only 4*s I've gotten from Championing so far are Mr. Fantastic (Black Panther), Hulkbuster (already maxed, from IF), Elektra (Punisher), and Nick Fury (Grey Widow).

:shrug:

beast is far better than he was, but he still isn't in the cyclops/IF/SW tier of usefulness, and i wouldn't even put him in the KK/IM40/3* Mags cluster either (or whatever the second level of 3* dudes is currently rated at). his green doesn't deal enough damage to build a team around, burst healing is bullshit unless it's a free passive like KK (or true healing, because that actually lets you draw out your health packs) and his blue is too unpredictable to be competitive (you typically want to know exactly what kind and how many of a certain tile you're going to get).

like i said, he's better than he was, and he isn't a chore to use on his boosted weeks now, but outside feeding 4* jean covers on his champion track, there's not really another niche he fills.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

homeless poster posted:

6* heroes will happen, for sure. hell, 10* heroes will happen unless d3 goes out of business or the game experiences a massive overhaul in core functionality. it's all just a matter of time, and a question of how much you're willing to spend to stay on the cutting edge of content. there's no reason for them not to make n+1* heroes, because if they ever stop the progression treadmill, the game basically ends.

also the insidious thing about champing every 3* hero is that a fair few of them spit out covers for 4* heroes on their champ reward track that are more valuable than the 3* hero. like IF gives out HB covers, that's a pretty equal trade because you'd want both those guys, but then the only hero to give out 4* jean covers (who you really want) is 3* beast (who you generally do not want). so even if you don't want to champ all the 3* heroes, it's at least worth checking the d3 forums for the master list of 3* champ rewards and seeing what 3* heroes give out which 4* covers and at least champing the 3* heroes that feed the 4* covers you want.

it takes too many 3's to get there.

I champed cyc when champs started and have yet to get his 1st 4 star cover from champing.

I'm not going to see those rewards, 2 rain like candies, 3's appear once every 40 days guaranteed at best. 800 in pvp is a joke atm.

I think the first 4 star is 20 covers in.

It's not reliable to wait 800 days for your first of every 4 star, of course you can grab a few through ddq and packs and such but it wont make enough of a difference to shorten that significantly.

No free way will at least. The 3 star and up bonus covers feel exclusively like something for dudes like king dreadnought to play around with.

Like I know they do come, but the turn over is horrible, and i don't consider it anywhere near worth the amount of iso and covers. I almost suspect I'll have some of the 4 stars fully covered without enough iso by the time i got to their first, let alone second covers.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 10, 2016

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Being in a good alliance helps speed up the game progression a lot. 20 people with an average of about 750 in pvp will get you top 100 alliance ranking, giving an extra 3* cover and some hp every pvp event. It starts to add up quite quickly.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

GTO posted:

Being in a good alliance helps speed up the game progression a lot. 20 people with an average of about 750 in pvp will get you top 100 alliance ranking, giving an extra 3* cover and some hp every pvp event. It starts to add up quite quickly.

people consistently getting 750 plus in pvp currently and holding it typically have 4 stars already useable right now, so it is a good help to them I agree

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

SectumSempra posted:

it takes too many 3's to get there.

I champed cyc when champs started and have yet to get his 1st 4 star cover from champing.

I'm not going to see those rewards, 2 rain like candies, 3's appear once every 40 days guaranteed at best. 800 in pvp is a joke atm.

I think the first 4 star is 20 covers in.

It's not reliable to wait 800 days for your first of every 4 star, of course you can grab a few through ddq and packs and such but it wont make enough of a difference to shorten that significantly.

No free way will at least. The 3 star and up bonus covers feel exclusively like something for dudes like king dreadnought to play around with.

Like I know they do come, but the turn over is horrible, and i don't consider it anywhere near worth the amount of iso and covers. I almost suspect I'll have some of the 4 stars fully covered without enough iso by the time i got to their first, let alone second covers.

i agree, 3* is basically the wall for progress if you're truly going to play for free.

you can transition from 3* to 4* in theory off a glacially slow DDQ & champing process, but it's currently one of those catch 22 situations where you really need a decent team of 4* heroes to place high enough in PVE / PVP events to start reliably winning the 4* covers that you need to make a team of decent 4* heroes to place high enough

a competitive alliance can definitely benefit you, but most alliances that are really going to payout the 4* covers and CP at a regular pace likely have no use for a person who only has a 3* roster, so again you really need a decent team of 4* heroes to join an alliance that will reliably win the 4* covers that you need to make a team of decent 4* heroes to join an alliance second verse same as the first

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Lol what the hell, I ran a group with two top 100 alliances and we had several 2star rosters and a lot of 3star ones. Stop acting like there's this 4star requirement.

Edit: those alliances still have a goon commander.

21st Cherry boy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 10, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I had no issue hitting 800 in pvp with a 3* transition roster, and that was under the old scoring system

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

21st Cherry boy posted:

Lol what the hell, I ran a group with two top 100 alliances and we had several 2star rosters and a lot of 3star ones. Stop acting like there's this 4star requirement.

Edit: those alliances still have a goon commander.

sure, you can do it. i bet those several (6? 10?) people were thrilled to be pulled along by everyone else. but there's more than just a few people with low level rosters who'd like to be able to score better rewards more frequently, and unfortunately you aren't running literally all 100 of the top 100 alliances to make sure everyone is getting a fair shake.

i mean that's about as meaningful as saying "people are dying from wild mongoose attacks all the time! i know three people that happened to, so it must be an epidemic!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Wow, no wonder I hate this game.