Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I approve of the message that the capitalist system will pervert and corrupt any creative endeavors, turning art into tools to control the masses in the hand of the bourgeois elites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Look all I'm saying is if you kept Ibuki alive in Danganronpa 2, I might not dislike the game as much as I do

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Baal posted:

Look all I'm saying is if you kept Ibuki alive in Danganronpa 2, I might not dislike the game as much as I do

Who would take her place?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can kill Mikan... or Kazuichi... or Sonia... basically any character that remained that wasn't Fuyuhiko

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Baal posted:

24 episodes of future with like... some dips into the Despair content could've made for a much more solid product, yeah.

This is absolutely true, though. Splitting the show in two like that led to this weird situation where the shows simultaneously feel too fast-paced to actually give the characters room to breathe and glacial in terms of stuff happening and things moving forward. Future in particular basically sabotaged itself by giving us this whole set of characters, showing off their worst possible traits right away and giving us basically zero time to grow to give any amounts of fucks for them.

I can appreciate what they were trying to do with putting all those characters in the middle of the action in one show and then fleshing them out in the other one but by that point they basically poisoned the well and it's all too little too late. The best it got is that I kinda liked Seiko, but not nearly enough to actually feel anything when she got killed off.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Baal posted:

As much as I like Ibuki, she wouldn't have been a very good fit in Chapter 6. They were already struggling to make characters like Akane and Souda interesting past Chapter 4.

Then again, they gave up on killing Fuyuhiko and he turned out to be the best character in DR2, so.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's pretty funny to think Peko's entire purpose for existing was going to be rendered moot in the next chapter originally.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Baal posted:

You can kill Mikan... or Kazuichi... or Sonia... basically any character that remained that wasn't Fuyuhiko

They really wanted the couple theme, so it'd have to be Kazuichi. I'd have no problem with that.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

Baal posted:

It's pretty funny to think Peko's entire purpose for existing was going to be rendered moot in the next chapter originally.

They really wanted to repeat everything in DR1 even down to killing off a character simply because he got character development.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I really wish Akane would've died off so Saionji could be spared instead. The only thing Koizumi did right was give Saionji a reason to try and better herself

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Actually no, kill Souda off because Souda's the loving worst

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
Akane should've been the one to die.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I think everyone should live happily ever after

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm very sad Sonia doesn't get to live with her boyfriend, Gundham Tanaka. :smith:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baal posted:

I wish the impostor lasted until the end, if just so we got this:

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012

Slur posted:

I think everyone should live happily ever after

They actually might. They are after all in a coma not dead. On an island with the talent messiah no less, who recently gained memories that should make him care about them. I assume he has the SHSL Neurologist talent. If anyone could wake them all up It'd be him.

I'm half expecting them to steal those warships heading for jabbawok and all turn up to save the day

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Actually no, kill Souda off because Souda's the loving worst
Souda is DR2's Hagakure.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they didn't actually decide to become genocidal monsters. if it was just because junko convinced them, then i'd say gently caress all of them. but now we know they were brainwashed and possibly lobotomized.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Komaeda's a weird case at least, since even as a despair, he was still working towards hope in his weird rear end way. Though that could just be his luck working in a very round-about way, like converting Monaca to stop caring about all of it entirely.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

lotus circle posted:

Souda is DR2's Hagakure.

Wow, you should apologize to Hagakure for putting him on Souda's level

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Allarion posted:

Komaeda's a weird case at least, since even as a despair, he was still working towards hope in his weird rear end way. Though that could just be his luck working in a very round-about way, like converting Monaca to stop caring about all of it entirely.

yeah, i kind of doubt that he was ever brainwashed at all. making despair stronger so that hope could inevitably overcome it was always something he was into.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I like Kazuichi in his Free Times but I wish his main plot beats had eventually drifted away from "MISS SONIA" by the end. Even in the final trial he was still laser-focused on her and it hurt his character overall. LIke, I'm okay with him surviving because I liked him well enough when I played but there was a lot of missed potential with him.

I'm glad Fuyuhiko survived the whole game. He turned out to be my favorite character . I just found his whole redemption arc to be done really well over the remainder of the game as he slowly warmed up to everyone else.

I would've gladly traded Akane for Ibuki or Hiyoko though. Hiyoko was due for her own character development and Ibuki was just great overall. Akane was really boring throughout the whole game and you can tell that they really didn't know what to do with her after they chose to not have her be the mastermind any longer.

Sonia I'm pretty neutral about. She's a decent character overall but was probably at her best when she was bouncing off Gundham's dialogue. I'm fine with her making it though.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I really enjoyed Sonia honestly. She starts off as a rather goofy girl with constant jokes about how she doesn't get the Japanese language or the culture, but by the time we get to chapter 4 she's far more assertive and assured in herself and her actions. It's especially great how she just gets outright tired of Souda's poo poo, whereas before she was either ignoring him or being more politely passive aggressive.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

lotus circle posted:

I really enjoyed Sonia honestly. She starts off as a rather goofy girl with constant jokes about how she doesn't get the Japanese language or the culture, but by the time we get to chapter 4 she's far more assertive and assured in herself and her actions. It's especially great how she just gets outright tired of Souda's poo poo, whereas before she was either ignoring him or being more politely passive aggressive.

I'm glad Sonia and Fuyuhiko survived because they were the students, Chiaki aside, that Hajime bonded with the most. They have good character development and contribute the most to the trials after the main three.

Akane being removed from the game altogether would change literally nothing.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm not going to sit here and let Akane be badmouthed. Every scene with her and nidai makes that game worth playing. Hiyoko is the actual worst character because her skill is worthless and she doesn't even know how to dress herself.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

fractalairduct posted:

Considering the way they covered Twilight Syndrome, I've been wondering if they'll skim over Zero in a similar way. If they do it from Matsuda's perspective they could give a small amount of screentime to the development of the Neo World Program (which would also let us see the real Miaya).

There's no way with the remaining time that they'd be able to even cover it to that degree.

That's one of my problems with the show really, everything's flying at a pretty breakneck pace.

Baal posted:

Tbf if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot by trying to cover stuff they didn't actually need to cover and centralized Despair side more to Yukizome, the Future Foundation, and Class 77, they might not be in this situation, but hey. Also, if the Future Side wasn't about a bunch of assholes trying to murder each other outside of the game they're playing and spent more time focusing on who the potential mastermind could be, working together, and focusing on the fallout of DR2, but I'm just spitballing here.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed that Future could basically have an entirely new cast and it wouldn't have made that much difference other than Munakata/Sakakura having no reason to hate Naegi. But really as is, they both seem to hate him way more than makes any sense anyways.

Slokir posted:

That episode was actually quite legitimately disturbing. I wonder if Matsuda knows what she is doing with what I assume are his techniques.

Going off of the ending of DR0 he almost certainly does not know the full extent of her actions.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 10, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah, frankly Despair took too long to introduce Junko into the mix. I know it's important to establish the friendship the DR2 characters cultivated, but these aren't brand new characters we know nothing about.

Conversely, they didn't put any good effort into giving a chance for the Future side characters to develop. The ones with the most development are the ones who played a role in Despair side (Juzo, Seiko and Ruruka for instance) but most of them were just body count filler.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they didn't really do much to establish their friendship, though. there was one episode dedicated to yukizome getting them to actually attend class and another about chiaki bringing all those broke brain kids together. otherwise despair has barely been about that class at all.

but that's kind of the point, really. despair isn't a slice of life show about a bunch of misfit teens. you can tell as much from the name.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Future really suffered from not having Free Time Events, basically.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I would've enjoyed experiencing Future side as a VN but I guess it would've been with no actual gameplay so that wouldn't have went over with most of the fanbase I guess

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I expected Despair side to cover DR0 the episode after the student council massacre, where it made sense. Hell, the parade even started at the end of that one which is right when DR0 started. It still hasn't happened though and I'm honestly expecting that cameo of Matsuda to be all we get.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

What if Chisa switches out for junko and vice versa so the person who dies in dr1 is not Junko but chisa and thus junko is still the mastermind of dr3 future.

:madmax:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
That would not only make this anime poo poo, it would also retroactively make DR1 poo poo.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Mindblast posted:

What if Chisa switches out for junko and vice versa so the person who dies in dr1 is not Junko but chisa and thus junko is still the mastermind of dr3 future.

:madmax:

*Junko unmasks herself*

"IT'S ME, NAEGI!" "IT WAS ME ALLLLLLLLL ALONG, NAEGI!!!"

I guess it would be funny for about ten seconds. But please don't let it happen that way. The answer doesn't need to be JUNKOS every time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
with how little monobear has been involved with future it doesn't seem terribly likely that junko, ai copies of junko, or would-be successors of junko have anything to do with it. i'd sooner believe in time travel out of nowhere theories than that junko would ever shut her yap.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Kodaka (IIRC, might've been someone else) DID say that part of what he was looking forward to with a new setting is they could do stuff like time travel... :v:

I've noticed a few things that everyone else probably figured out awhile back, but haven't been able to figure out.

Like that gunship that was shooting at Hagakure. I didn't think much of it at first, but who does it belong to? The Remnants of Despair? The dialogue at the start indicated they were on a downward swing with most of their leadership being killed off, surrendered or comatose.

Also, what was the deal with the servers Sakakura found and seemed shocked by? Was that in the fake exit?

Serious Frolicking posted:

with how little monobear has been involved with future it doesn't seem terribly likely that junko, ai copies of junko, or would-be successors of junko have anything to do with it. i'd sooner believe in time travel out of nowhere theories than that junko would ever shut her yap.

Monobear says near the start that this will be our 'final battle' which implies some connection to Junko.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 10, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Serious Frolicking posted:

I imagine the lack of Monobear is also in part because the main VA isn't voicing him due to health issues, so they have someone else doing it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yes, but if it was junko, pseudo-junko or a junko impersonator controlling monobear there is absolutely no way they would show up once and then clam up.

i guess it could be a voice actor availability issue, though. not every detail has to mean something.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

lotus circle posted:

I imagine the lack of Monobear is also in part because the main VA isn't voicing him due to health issues, so they have someone else doing it.

They already have a permanent monokuma replacement, especially because he's still going to be in the new third game too.

I'm pretty sure voice acting has nothing to do with his absence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Also Junko, whether as Monobear or just herself, is really chatty. It's probably one of her main weaknesses since Kirigiri/Naegi regularly seize on stuff she accidentally blurts out during her ranting(though some of that was on purpose, according to her anyway)

It's also treated as notable when Monobear actually shuts up.

• Locked thread