Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

Found it!

http://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/janfeb-2013/americas-twentieth-century-slavery/

The reason I couldn't google is that the letter was to the OTHER Roosevelt, and I was searching "FDR"

Hard evidence of slaves in 1903, nearly 40 years after the civil war. The estimated number of re-enslaved is in the hundreds of thousands.

edit:

Sherman should have finished the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Found it!

http://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/janfeb-2013/americas-twentieth-century-slavery/

The reason I couldn't google is that the letter was to the OTHER Roosevelt, and I was searching "FDR"

Hard evidence of slaves in 1903, nearly 40 years after the civil war. The estimated number of re-enslaved is in the hundreds of thousands.

edit:

And from 2011 (clearly on a smaller scale and with less official approval)

quote:

The Thai workers were assigned to work at six farms in Hawaii (Captain Cook Coffee Company, Del Monte Fresh Produce, Kauai Coffee Company, Kelena Farms, MacFarms of Hawaii, and Maui Pineapple Farms) and two farms in Washington (Green Acre Farms and Valley Fruit Orchards), harvesting a variety of items from pineapples to coffee beans. The EEOC asserts that the farms not only ignored abuses, but also participated in the obvious mistreatment, intimidation, harassment, and unequal pay of the Thai workers.

At some farms, the Thai workers were forced to live in dilapidated housing infested with rats and insects, with dozens sleeping in the same room, many with no beds. They were forbidden from leaving the premises. On the job, they endured screaming, threats and physical assaults on the part of supervisors, and were isolated from non-Thai farm workers who appeared to be working under more tolerable conditions, says the EEOC. Bound by their debts, stripped of their identification and silenced by the perpetrators, the Thai workers had little recourse until the Thai Community Development Center in Los Angeles brought victims to the EEOC to file charges of discrimination.

Sadly I think EEOC lost the case.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol Trump is going to campaign in Maryland next week. He really doesn't know what a battleground state is.

I'm very much looking forward to his multiple campaign trips to NY in October.

He'll do it too, his ego won't allow him to think that his home state is a guaranteed loss for him.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Found it!

edit:

Thanks for finding this. I'd never heard of it before.

loving disgusting.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fitzy Fitz posted:

loving disgusting.

i didn't click the link but sharecropping was a bare step better than actual slavery and a lot of poor farmers basically ended up in de facto slavery-but-not-slavery through exploitative debt cycles. it was really bad and a big reason, aside from legal oppression from law enforcement to maintain the prebellum status quo (which also sentenced black men to years of labor for petty or even nonexistent crimes), which drove so many black americans to northern cities

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

There are battlegrounds in Maryland :confused:

How many campiagn offices does he have there?

Probably under 2 digits, maybe a negative number.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

alright.

I admit it.

I'm super mad about this for dumb reasons.

I'm going to step out now lest I fall into the rabbit hole of telling people from the South I understand their experience better than they do as someone from the North. I am a big dumb jackass baby and you can all feel free to ignore my posts.

Edit: I realized I'm literally shaking with anger, and that I have also fundamentally misunderstood what flyingorc was trying to say, so yeah, I'm a jerk and I'm sorry. I'm so used to dealing with the maelstrom of racism surrounding Civil War history and I just got really upset.

You're a good dude and gettin' mad about racism is never dumb.

theflyingorc posted:

also did you know that literal, not metaphorical slavery continued in pockets of the south up through the 30s/40s, and some people think it might have been happening as late as the 50s?

There's a good chance that some black people were in slavery less than 15 years before the passage of the Civil Rights act.

America landed on the moon some ~20 years after the last of America's slaves were free.

I know for a fact this is true. A good friend of mine's grandfather was a slave in the twentieth century. Her mother has a photograph of him in chains with an automobile in the background.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fitzy Fitz posted:

loving disgusting.

I haven't watched this, but there's apparently a PBS documentary on it, spanning from 1865 until 1945

http://www.pbs.org/tpt/slavery-by-another-name/watch/

If anyone gives it a watch, share anything interesting. I've always find it interesting that most history classes teach it as "and then the Civil War ended, so slavery ended". The transition of millions of people to becoming free, but having nothing, I thought would be interesting. I didn't realize it it was also horrifying.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LogisticEarth posted:

Ahahaha, is that true? I had no idea.

https://youtu.be/Rr8ljRgcJNM

Yep.
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-is-the-confederate-flag-flown-outside-the-us-2015-6

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DemeaninDemon posted:

Sherman should have finished the job.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Every time the thread descends into this poo poo it's important to remember your fantasy genocide would nuke the majority of black people living in the US too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh no, now you've kicked off the Sherman derail.

For the record, I live in the south and I can appreciate all the Sherman jokes as just being jokes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Every time the thread descends into this poo poo it's important to remember your fantasy genocide would nuke the majority of black people living in the US too.

That wasn't my intention and I was posting for comedy purposes only.

WampaLord posted:

Oh no, now you've kicked off the Sherman derail.

For the record, I live in the south and I can appreciate all the Sherman jokes as just being jokes.

:eng99:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Thanks that's why it's in make-believe land.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Greatest Completely Not Kremlin Backed Thinktank Ever

http://www.globalresearch.ca/hillary-clintons-sordid-election-campaign-wikileaks-and-the-russian-connection/5544776

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

iospace posted:

That wasn't my intention and I was posting for comedy purposes only.

Not mad at you, just heading it off at the pass.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

Let's test your theory out....

Lol

As a history major, woof.

To paraphrase my professor, Edmund Drago:

"When you don't know anything about the Civil War you believe it's about slavery.

Then you learn a bit more and discover it's actually all about States rights, economic differences, institutional differences and tribalism.

Then you learn enough to have an educated opinion and realize it really was about slavery after all."

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Everyone in this thread who I disagree with is so pedantic and stupid. All the people I agree with are smart and cool though. Glad I'm on the correct side.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i didn't click the link but sharecropping was a bare step better than actual slavery and a lot of poor farmers basically ended up in de facto slavery-but-not-slavery through exploitative debt cycles. it was really bad and a big reason, aside from legal oppression from law enforcement to maintain the prebellum status quo (which also sentenced black men to years of labor for petty or even nonexistent crimes), which drove so many black americans to northern cities

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with sharecropping from a few Southern history courses I took in college. At one point I worked with a black man who grew up as a cotton sharecropper. I don't think he was even aware of why that blew my mind.

This particular story is pretty messed up though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

There are battlegrounds in Maryland :confused:

I don't think he realizes that his ideological wing of the debate didn't actually win at Antietam.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

Quickly chiming in to say that second N in "Fuckinn' beautiful" is a stroke of genius eye-dialect.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

theflyingorc posted:

Found it!

edit:

Thank you for this.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hey i just want to nuke the white enclaves. Want to finish the job my ancestor helped take part in.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Stereotype posted:

Everyone in this thread who I disagree with is so pedantic and stupid. All the people I agree with are smart and cool though. Glad I'm on the correct side.

Welcome to the Republican party.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I'm actually not familiar with what made sharecropping nearly slavery, anyone care to explain?

(that article discusses a boy who signed on as a worker at a farm, and then got tied to a tree and whipped because he signed a contract with a DIFFERENT farm when his first contract ran out. When I say literal slavery in the 1900s, I Am Not Joking)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

theflyingorc posted:

I'm actually not familiar with what made sharecropping nearly slavery, anyone care to explain?

(that article discusses a boy who signed on as a worker at a farm, and then got tied to a tree and whipped because he signed a contract with a DIFFERENT farm when his first contract ran out. When I say literal slavery in the 1900s, I Am Not Joking)

It was basically feudal serfdom and debt slavery.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

farming is expensive, and you only get paid once a year, at harvest time (typically). farming requires going into debt for equipment, seeds, farm stuff, and if you're lucky you pay back that debt at harvest time along with enough money to see you through the year. a bad harvest can wipe you out financially, this happened all the time in the early 20th century to small farmers and is why the government does so much to stabilize crop prices

if you're an southern black sharecropper you basically pay rent to the land owner (not redistributing land was a huge failure of reconstruction) who is typically the same white dude who owned the plantation before the war. except he also controlled the books, which recorded your debt, which could magically increase for mysterious reasons overnight, while also manipulating the terms by which your labors paid back that debt. so it was super easy for landlords to place their legally free but economically notfree farm workers in inescapable debt, at which point there's all kinds of legal horrors that can be inflicted on you like selling your debt to someone else so you work for them now and if you argue about it we send you to debtors prison, etc.

slavery was banned on paper but in reality an elaborate system to control black people quickly popped up to replace it and keep the status quo intact

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 9, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

theflyingorc posted:

Night10194 posted:

It was basically feudal serfdom and debt slavery.

When they were whipping him the men yelled, "One cannot serve two masters".

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theflyingorc posted:

The quick and dirty version is that they created a system of wage and debt slavery to tie black farmers to land they didn't own, but also could not leave because they owed the owners money and could only buy materials and equipment from sources controlled by the owners. Because they owned the stores, the owners would jack the prices up and make sure that black sharecroppers could never make enough to escape their wage and debt slavery.

"Slavery" isn't really correct, because broadly speaking it wasn't comparable to chattel slavery. A better analogy is actually feudal European serfdom. But the outcome was basically the same: black people were only free in the nominal sense of not being legally property, but they couldn't move freely, they were tied down by debts, and lived in the ever-present shadow of possible lynchings, race riots, and Jim Crow.

edit: another thing, of course, was that the owning and collection of debts was obviously a legitimized and important element of the American legal system the capital class had a vested interest in enforcing. Thus instead of having to spend massive amount of money and resources on dedicated militia systems and enforcing what amounted to a police state to suppress slave rebellion and attempt to prevent their education, they could instead simply socially and legally segregate them and shift the burden of social pacification onto the legitimate legal institutions of debt collection. Meanwhile, black Americans were less likely to rebel, because they were technically free and ingrained with the notion that being debt slaves was "legitimate" because they weren't slaves on the basis of race, you see.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 9, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol Trump is going to campaign in Maryland next week. He really doesn't know what a battleground state is.

gotta run up the margins in crucial Garrett county.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And while the sharecropper was getting gouged and abused at home, his wife was likely getting just the same treatment as "the help," including having cleaning supplies docked from her wages and getting accused of theft if she tried to move to a different employer.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

And while the sharecropper was getting gouged and abused at home, his wife was likely getting just the same treatment as "the help," including having cleaning supplies docked from her wages and getting accused of theft if she tried to move to a different employer.

This is another huge thing, and I'm massively guilty of this as a historian, but history likes to erase the experience of black women in the post-war American life, and their struggles to survive a society that didn't value them as people. Always, inevitably, when we discuss post-war, pre-Civil Rights era black struggles, it's framed in terms of sharecropping and implicitly the struggle of men. But black women played just as big a part in that struggle, even though we perceive as a society generally that their positions made them less valuable because farming > house cleaning.

Kind of like how today we like to talk about poor Mexican farmers (admittedly including women), but we tend to downplay or forget the struggle of Mexican women working as house keepers or in child care.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

theflyingorc posted:

I haven't watched this, but there's apparently a PBS documentary on it, spanning from 1865 until 1945

http://www.pbs.org/tpt/slavery-by-another-name/watch/

If anyone gives it a watch, share anything interesting. I've always find it interesting that most history classes teach it as "and then the Civil War ended, so slavery ended". The transition of millions of people to becoming free, but having nothing, I thought would be interesting. I didn't realize it it was also horrifying.

This documentary is based on a book by the same name, which is very good and very sad.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

thread, please take this post as an example of why being determined to find and call out anything you don't like as an endorsement of racism is actually a really unproductive and stupid way to argue and just makes you look like a tool

Might as well lock the thread then

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NippleFloss posted:

This documentary is based on a book by the same name, which is very good and very sad.

someone doesn't read the op

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

someone doesn't read the op

that would be everyone

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

MariusLecter posted:

When they were whipping him the men yelled, "One cannot serve two masters".
gently caress i (and everyone i grew up knowin) have had proverbs quoted while i got a spankin but fuckin quotin jesus 'red letters while whipping a man in oublc
drat

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

I'm trying to find the article, I read an article a few years ago about this topic, and no - I'm not talking about sharecropping. If you've got the local authorities supporting you, you could hide what you were doing pretty easily before modern communication/transportation.

The only specific thing I remember from the article is that a young black girl wrote a letter to President Franklin Delano Roosevelt because her brother had been kidnapped by white people for labor. So sometime from 1932-1945.

edit: i've been googling and can't find it, if anyone else has read this or can find it please let me know

It's a video documentary, but what you're talking about is covered in Slavery by Another Name, helpfully linked in the OP:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries
[list]
[*]Slavery by Another Name
I was the one who originally linked it, like 8 or 9 thread iterations ago. It's good, but depressing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I was expecting more polls to drop this week since it's now after Labor Day. But there have been hardly any really. I need my fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I was expecting more polls to drop this week since it's now after Labor Day. But there have been hardly any really. I need my fix.

I did an informal poll of people online and it turns out that Trump has 60% of the vote and Hillary Clinton is a literal zombie.

• Locked thread