Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kuskus posted:

If the headphone jack is removed from any of the MacBooks, I'm gonna lose my mind.

It's time to sell my early 2013 15" rMBP. No cosmetic problems, always lived in a shell & sleeve. I know value is in the eye of the purchaser, but any recommendations for selling? Feels like it's worth a grand.

I have one I am trying to sell as well - $1,000 would be a stretch even if it is the high-end model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Woot is selling that model right now for 800 or 900 depending on proc/SSD so you will not be likely to get $1000.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is Chrome still a battery hog on OS X?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think they fixed it around Mavericks but I haven't used it since 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

Is Chrome still a battery hog on OS X?

Yeah

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Use Safari 😎👍

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Meanwhile...

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/09/tim-cook-very-committed-mac-email/

MacRumors reader sends email to Tim Cook, Tim or someone posing as him replies, says 'stay tuned'

Last time he said that we got the Trash Can Pro.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So would people bitch more about the current scheme or if they just released laptops every year, upgrades or otherwise?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

computer parts posted:

So would people bitch more about the current scheme or if they just released laptops every year, upgrades or otherwise?

I would bitch less, because if they had to release laptops each year, they'd have to incrementally update real world things like CPU/RAM/SSD to differentiate them, in between the major changes like loving with ports and trackpads etc.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

They do release laptops every year :confused: Every MacBook has been updated at least once a year with new processors and sometimes other stuff for like the entire time they've existed

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Weedle posted:

They do release laptops every year :confused: Every MacBook has been updated at least once a year with new processors and sometimes other stuff for like the entire time they've existed

Sort of. The 2015 MacBook Pro 15" has the same CPU as the 2014, they just upgraded the graphics and added the force touch trackpad

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The whole thing about the supposed touchscreen-where-the-function-keys-are mabob that will allegedly appear in the new macbooks sounds like gimmicky poo poo to me. I don't really see what additional functionality it could bring that the F keys couldn't but maybe I'm missing something ...?

My wishlist for a new Macbook would be:

– 14" screen
– Fanless + shrink the logic board (Macbook™ style) and cram all available space with extra battery
– TouchID

Basically, I wouldn't mind getting the Macbook™ but just a bigger version with ports. This doesn't seem like an insurmountable feet of engineering and there's probably lots of people who feel the same.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Entropy238 posted:

The whole thing about the supposed touchscreen-where-the-function-keys-are mabob that will allegedly appear in the new macbooks sounds like gimmicky poo poo to me. I don't really see what additional functionality it could bring that the F keys couldn't but maybe I'm missing something ...?

My wishlist for a new Macbook would be:

– 14" screen
– Fanless + shrink the logic board (Macbook™ style) and cram all available space with extra battery
– TouchID

Basically, I wouldn't mind getting the Macbook™ but just a bigger version with ports. This doesn't seem like an insurmountable feet of engineering and there's probably lots of people who feel the same.

The argument for them is that it will allow software developers to have context sensitive function keys. So if you're in word F3 might be bold text or whatever, and in Photoshop it will be something else.

I agree, though, that it sounds like gimmicky bullshit.

Also holy poo poo no don't go fanless on the MBP. They run hot enough as is.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cyrano4747 posted:

The argument for them is that it will allow software developers to have context sensitive function keys. So if you're in word F3 might be bold text or whatever, and in Photoshop it will be something else.

I agree, though, that it sounds like gimmicky bullshit.

Also holy poo poo no don't go fanless on the MBP. They run hot enough as is.

Maybe the touch thing would be good for olds.

Idk I think fanless would make sense for a certain category of users e.g. the ordinary people that want something with a bit more oomph/screen size than the 12" Macbook for web browsing/word processing but who are never going to use their laptop for hardcore photo/video editing.

Were I Tim Cook I would separate the Macbooks in to the following categories:

– 12" Macbook™
– 14" Macbook™
– 13.3" MBPR
– 15" MBPR

Something for everyone. Guess the 13.3" MBPR kinda feels out of place, though if Apple can keep selling the ordinary MBP for this amount of time ...

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 10, 2016

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Entropy238 posted:

Something for everyone.

Not Mini Me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

Big function key user are ya?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

Big function key user are ya?

Mostly limited to turning brightness up and down, turning backlight up and down, turning volume up and down and switching between music tracks, but that's about it.

Of course in games (which, admittedly I don't play very often on a Mac) they're invaluable.

I'd be happy to get proven wrong though if they could implement it in a good way.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It would be nice if they'd left the esc key alone, at the least. Like, that and the mute key are the keys that you'd probably hit the hardest, and a touchpad isn't really great for that.

Also given the quality of bootcamp drivers, I guess I hope you never need to use any of those keys in windows, because that's probably going to be a shitshow.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone know if Verizon and CDW should be able to provide DEP #'s for device enrollment in an MDM?

eames
May 9, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

Idk I think fanless would make sense for a certain category of users e.g. the ordinary people that want something with a bit more oomph/screen size than the 12" Macbook for web browsing/word processing but who are never going to use their laptop for hardcore photo/video editing.

Were I Tim Cook I would separate the Macbooks in to the following categories:

– 12" Macbook™
– 14" Macbook™
– 13.3" MBPR
– 15" MBPR
– 17" MBPR

Something for everyone. Guess the 13.3" MBPR kinda feels out of place, though if Apple can keep selling the ordinary MBP for this amount of time ...

Replace the 13.3" rMBP with a very expensive, very capable 17" rMBP and I'm all for it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

eames posted:

Replace the 13.3" rMBP with a very expensive, very capable 17" rMBP and I'm all for it.

I use the 13.3 rMBP as a work machine and really like it because I don't need a quad-core for running SSH sessions and MS office and would rather have a smaller, lighter machine than the 15", but I can still get the Pro-quality screen and port selection. If they'd put Thunderbolt and at least a 1080p screen in the Air they'd have more of a justification to drop the 13.3" Pro. Honestly, for Apple I feel like having kept that same screen in the Air for so long is kind of an embarrassment but it may end up better serving the product tiering they want.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

They'd never half rear end it at this point and stick a 1080p screen in a Mac

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, the Air's on its way out and Apple's vision is for all their machines to have retina screens. I never considered the Air to be a permanent product. I think it's pretty obvious by now that the MB Retina is their ideal consumer laptop and the Air was part of a transition period until they could get the technological advancements and screens at affordable enough prices to make the new MB.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Probably the dumbest question known to man, but I just don't want to assume NO and find out I was missing out.

Can the Retina iMac 5k be used with any kind of clever cord/adapter to act as a 4k monitor for something like a PS4 Pro?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nope

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I expect Air to be gone this time next month.

It'll be 13" Macbook, 13" Macbook Pro, 15" Macbook Pro. Various levels of trim amongst that.

The same as the early unibody / late plastic days, except no 17". RIP.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

well why not posted:

I expect Air to be gone this time next month.

It'll be 13" Macbook, 13" Macbook Pro, 15" Macbook Pro. Various levels of trim amongst that.

The same as the early unibody / late plastic days, except no 17". RIP.

I really don't see them bumping the MacBook up to 13" from 12". But on the whole, I agree that the Air is a dead man walking.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

flosofl posted:

I really don't see them bumping the MacBook up to 13" from 12". But on the whole, I agree that the Air is a dead man walking.

Perhaps a 12" and 14" rMB

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Just set up a brand new MBA next to a brand new rMBP and the difference in screen quality when you see them side by side is higher than I'd ever thought seeing them individually. Not just the DPI, the colour on the MBA looks washed out and horrible.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Crime on a Dime posted:

Just set up a brand new MBA next to a brand new rMBP and the difference in screen quality when you see them side by side is higher than I'd ever thought seeing them individually. Not just the DPI, the colour on the MBA looks washed out and horrible.

The Air's display remains unchanged since what, 2010?

It's ancient.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I always thought the air looked gross. it has that horrible matte finish doesn't it?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I always thought the air looked gross. it has that horrible matte finish doesn't it?

It's not matte, it's just a gloss without glass.

Still awful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It was the poo poo in 2010 when your only other 13" option was the 1280x800 gloss-fuckery that was the Pro

eames
May 9, 2009

I switch between a 2012 13" Air and 2013 15" rMBP every day and still like the screen and overall experience of the MBA.
The high-res retina screen does look a lot better but the MBA feels snappier and more responsive, probably because it renders in native resolution and has to deal with a fraction of the pixels. I do wonder what the Macbook is like in this aspect.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Can we have a moratorium on calling anything "snappy" please

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Can we have a moratorium on calling anything "snappy" please

Don't get snippy

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Does Apple just hate the MBA? You'd think at some point they would have at least refreshed the screen. I've got a regular MBP and would like something with more battery and a Retina screen and more than 2 ports, so a MBA with display technology added since Obama's second inauguration would be perfect - but no.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's not hate, it's more like disinterest. It was a stopgap that's served it's purpose. Time to retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Air has what, a 2 hour battery advantage over the rMBP?