Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Nah you can run 500A through 12-mil PCB traces no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rawrr posted:

AFAIK that's for steppers; the servos that are usually paired with those boards are just DC motors with step down gears and a potentiometer for position sensing, so when it's not moving it doesn't draw any current.

That's why I said "under load" - if you tug on a servo it will detect it's not in the right position and try to correct for it. If you put a constant force it will do that constantly.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

insta posted:

thats what I thought :v: :v: :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ekuNNN posted:

Yes, 670 to be exact. They don't have to do any hard work or anything though. I plan to control them by daisy-chaining 42 of these boards: https://www.adafruit.com/products/815

:stare:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I know, project has to be finished end of this month too :negative:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

insta posted:

But yeah apart form the sarcasm, should i just wire up every 16 servo board, or like every 5 boards or whatever? Also because, im pretty inexperienced at working with these kinds of loads, can you just connect two power units to power a whole bunch of these board if you hook up the +5v and GND further along the daisychain?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have a feeling that the limiting factor on daisy chaining current is going to be the PCB trace, except I don't know how to calculate that. I have a feeling that Adafruit wasn't expecting anyone to want to daisy chain more than a couple of them together, too, so they don't seem to have advice on that. But if you can find out how/find someone who knows how, then figuring out what the limit is should be pretty easy - as long as the current is below the limit minus like a 10% or 20% margin.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
Your worst case load sounds pretty unlikely. If you can model or simulate a typical use case, run 5-10 adafruit boards' worth of servos doing that, measure the peak and average current, scale it up and multiply by 1.5, and you should be okay. Fuse it at 10% less than your supply's max just in case the motors all get jammed.

Edit: is there a compelling reason you want to daisy chain power to the extent the traces can handle? Seems pretty unlikely that 670 servos are collocated closely enough that that'd be a cable savings. Just power them in parallel. In the case where you'd want to daisy chain, just jumper from input to input off board.

KnifeWrench fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 9, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t buy Adafruit boards if you’re buying that many. That’s a major waste of money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Or do buy Adafruit's boards, because they're reliable and well-documented and fully supported and not everyone is a dirt poor goon whose time is worthless.

Furthermore, have you priced out commercial PLCs and servo controllers recently? Adafruit's boards are an incredible deal in comparison.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

rockcity posted:

I'm looking to build a set of Christmas lights to replicate the ones from Stranger Things. I did a ton of searching around for addressable lights and most of them would have required a ton of modifying and re-wiring to get them to look how I want them to, but I stumbled across a site selling ones that actually look like Christmas lights rather than just an LED strip light.

http://www.environmentalled.com/RGB---C9-Opaque-WS2811-Pixels-50-Count-Black-Wire-p2279.html

There seem to be a ton of resources out there for making arduino controllers for these things, but they almost all assume that you're familiar with working with Arduino, which I'm not. Because there are tons of libraries out there already for controlling the light strips, I feel like this should be a fairly basic intro to this type of thing, but I'm struggling to find any guide that actually lists out all of the hardware I'll need to make the controller. Realistically I want to be able to plug a computer into them and make a program to be able to turn on and off single lights in a set sequence. It would be nice if it didn't need to be plugged into the computer while it runs.

Has anyone worked on this type of project before?

Edit: I ended up ordering this starter kit and a 12V, 2A power supply for the lights themselves.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8KOZF4?psc=1

Looking around some more it looks like I might really just have to wire the power supply positive to the lights, the power supply ground to both the Uno board and the lights and then run a wire from the Uno to the data wire on the lights. Is it really that simple? For reference, this is what I was reading.

http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/arduino/arduino-ws2812-led/

Sparkfun put up a video of their take on this project. Since budget isn't much of an option for the company that sells stuff they used addressable LEDs wired together and put old school lamps over them as diffusers/covers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkAxEGFXsic
https://github.com/sparkfun/Stranger_Things_Wall

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KnifeWrench posted:

Edit: is there a compelling reason you want to daisy chain power to the extent the traces can handle? Seems pretty unlikely that 670 servos are collocated closely enough that that'd be a cable savings. Just power them in parallel.

Yeah, thats what I'm planning. I was just sanity checking cause I'm nervous about powering so many servos together :v:

Sagebrush posted:

Or do buy Adafruit's boards, because they're reliable and well-documented and fully supported and not everyone is a dirt poor goon whose time is worthless.

Furthermore, have you priced out commercial PLCs and servo controllers recently? Adafruit's boards are an incredible deal in comparison.

Yeah, I have the money in this project to buy them, but not the time to figure out getting those boards built myself or to custom design some other board.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Sparkfun put up a video of their take on this project. Since budget isn't much of an option for the company that sells stuff they used addressable LEDs wired together and put old school lamps over them as diffusers/covers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkAxEGFXsic
https://github.com/sparkfun/Stranger_Things_Wall

Awesome! That will definitely help me with putting together the code for it, though looking at people's code, it seemed pretty simple to begin with.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Sarcasm aside, you are far better off with 21 separate 5v/10A supplies. You should be able to find them for $10/ea in quantity on eBay, and they're a lot easier to work with than 500A cables. Run two boards per supply (that still seems like a ton of amperage -- what size servos?), and use regular 16awg stranded PVC insulation wire. For the daisychaining, just use ground and signal between the boards, keep the 5v itself isolated.

My gut feeling is you can run 15 separate 5v @ 5A supplies chained 3 ways, and 1-2 10A ones on certain boards.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

insta posted:

that still seems like a ton of amperage -- what size servos?

I thought so too at first but the stall current of something like a HS-311 is supposedly around 0.6A at 5V so the total theoretical stall current of all 670 of them would be around 400 A, add a 20% safety margin like was described and there's your 500

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I thought so too at first but the stall current of something like a HS-311 is supposedly around 0.6A at 5V so the total theoretical stall current of all 670 of them would be around 400 A, add a 20% safety margin like was described and there's your 500

500A resistive losses gotta be insane

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A U.S. residential circuit can’t handle it, by the way, if that’s a problem.

400 A × 5 V = 2000 W

120 V × 15 A = 1800 W

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

400 A × 5 V = 2000 W

120 V × 15 A = 1800 W

I can't imagine he's going to plug 670 servos into a single three-pronged wall socket.

If you want to see a fire inspector cry, though, build it like that and invite them over to take a look

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

Yes, 670 to be exact. They don't have to do any hard work or anything though. I plan to control them by daisy-chaining 42 of these boards: https://www.adafruit.com/products/815
Can I ask what you need 670 servos controlled by a single controller for?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

I realised before, but I appreciate the warning :3:

Collateral Damage posted:

Can I ask what you need 670 servos controlled by a single controller for?

We're basically making a screen out of servos. White pixels are servos in one position, Black pixels servos in another position. It doesnt Have to be controlled by a single controller, but the less controllers I have to buy the better.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

I realised before, but I appreciate the warning :3:

We're basically making a screen out of servos. White pixels are servos in one position, Black pixels servos in another position. It doesnt Have to be controlled by a single controller, but the less controllers I have to buy the better.

If it's just two positions for each piece you could use latching solenoids instead, they'd probably be a bit more energy efficient and don't require PWM drivers to control, just a simple on/off signal.

What's the "pixel" made of, is it like a flipdot? Because we have way more efficient ways of dealing with flipdots.

(In case someone doesn't know what a flipdot is:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0r_Q96qiwM

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

So like a giant servo driven flip-dot display? How big is each pixel going to be? I'm pretty sure you can get off the shelf flip-dots up to at least a few inches in dot size.

e: And if you have to custom build it, as PP said if you're only using two absolute positions anyway, solenoids are going to be a much better solution than servos.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 9, 2016

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

You don't need to operate in worst case though just protect against it with fuses etc. And realistic operating current can easily be an order of magnitude less in this case.

So just measure the current draw of a servo in the planned scenario and go from there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Servos let you set each "pixel" to a variety of angles, though, so that could lead to some neat effects.

I'm thinking like a gigantic DLP chip. Cover it with mirrors and make an optical phased array to selectively blast squirrels in your backyard with a focused beam of sunlight.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Does anyone have any resources for teaching soldering? I've been soldering for ages, but I may actually be semi-formally teaching it to a small group at work in the near future and that'd be my first time where it wasn't just an informal one-on-one thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Get one of those video visualizer things that has a zoomable webcam and connects to a projector, so you can show what you're doing blown up on the wall. That's what I do whenever I'm teaching finicky manual skills. Super super useful.

At least, that's what I do in classes of ~20 people. If it's a small group at work it may be sufficient to just get a regular webcam and a large monitor.

Also, teach in small chunks and give everyone a chance to reinforce that particular lesson by trying it before moving on to the next thing.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Collateral Damage posted:

So like a giant servo driven flip-dot display? How big is each pixel going to be? I'm pretty sure you can get off the shelf flip-dots up to at least a few inches in dot size.

e: And if you have to custom build it, as PP said if you're only using two absolute positions anyway, solenoids are going to be a much better solution than servos.

Nah, its about puilling floating stuff underwater, and letting it drift back up. solenoids, or at least the stuff i looked at was all too short a distance. I'll show the project here when ts finished beginning of next month :negative:

insta
Jan 28, 2009
(crossposted from electronics stackexchange)

I have a 1258MHz transmitter running at 1W output power. I want to switch it between two antennas while it's in the field.

Can I use a pair of any standard MOSFETs for this, assuming the power dissipation of the FET is adhered to? If not, what do I look for in the datasheet to know that a particular FET is appropriate?

If a FET isn't appropriate, what kind of device would be? I'm not oscillating the thing at anything more than 1hz (at worst!), so I don't think I need the special "RF" components.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Anyone have experience with load‐bearing conductors?

I want to put a Nixie tube on the pull handle of a pendulum clock. Parameters are indoors, 2 m long, actual tension maybe 30 N (7 lb), transferring 500 mW at human‐safe voltage (e.g. 20 mA at 24 V DC; I need a HVDC converter on the other end regardless), wound and unwound from a small drum every few days. The cables can’t be too thick or they won’t fit on the drum, and I want it to look good.

Load‐bearing copper and current‐bearing stainless steel are both silly things, but at least for stainless steel I think I have a decent idea of how it would behave—high but manageable resistance, good mechanical performance. Copper, on the other hand, isn’t often used for its tensile strength.

I am thinking to use small‐diameter plastic‐coated steel rope (I’d call it “cable”, but that doesn’t seem to be the trade name) as one conductor for its tensile strength and slack copper wire (either magnet wire or fine braided wire) for the second conductor, tying hitches around the steel rope regularly to keep them together.

If anyone has a better idea, let me know. I did imagine exotic solutions like single‐wire power transfer, LASERs, and induction, but those are probably bad ideas.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

Anyone have experience with load‐bearing conductors?

I want to put a Nixie tube on the pull handle of a pendulum clock. Parameters are indoors, 2 m long, actual tension maybe 30 N (7 lb), transferring 500 mW at human‐safe voltage (e.g. 20 mA at 24 V DC; I need a HVDC converter on the other end regardless), wound and unwound from a small drum every few days. The cables can’t be too thick or they won’t fit on the drum, and I want it to look good.

Load‐bearing copper and current‐bearing stainless steel are both silly things, but at least for stainless steel I think I have a decent idea of how it would behave—high but manageable resistance, good mechanical performance. Copper, on the other hand, isn’t often used for its tensile strength.

I am thinking to use small‐diameter plastic‐coated steel rope (I’d call it “cable”, but that doesn’t seem to be the trade name) as one conductor for its tensile strength and slack copper wire (either magnet wire or fine braided wire) for the second conductor, tying hitches around the steel rope regularly to keep them together.

If anyone has a better idea, let me know. I did imagine exotic solutions like single‐wire power transfer, LASERs, and induction, but those are probably bad ideas.

Why does the conductor need to carry the load? Can't you just add a chain in parallel?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KnifeWrench posted:

Why does the conductor need to carry the load? Can't you just add a chain in parallel?

I’m not going to lie; it’s as much for technical challenge as for practical purposes.

I wouldn’t use chain, though. I’d use something like Dyneema fishing line.

Allowing that, what would you use for the parallel conductors?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 13, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I’m not going to lie; it’s as much for technical challenge as for practical purposes.

I wouldn’t use chain, though. I’d use something like Dyneema fishing line.

Allowing that, what would you use for the parallel conductors?

Any given insulated cable? If it's not supporting weight it can be literally anything that can take 24V at 0.5A, pick wire that's aesthetically pleasing I guess?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
DIY & Hobbies › The Learning Electronics MEGATHREAD: Use wires.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Steel will easily transmit that amount of power with nearly zero degradation. Make sure you use a short length of "automation cable" to make the turn onto the pendulum arm. It's designed to flex millions of times in its lifetime.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Now that’s the sort of advice I was looking for. Thanks.

I thought of how pendant lights handled it and how elevators handle it, but not how robots handle it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 13, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Do those automation/flex cables have special alloys or just a special weave or something else? I know it is expensive but not much about how it is engineered to be special.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
All the automation cable I've worked with has been somewhat stiff, and specifies a minimum bend radius. You'll probably end up with a teardrop loop (a 270 degree turn) instead of a 90. This will spread the flex out over more of the cable.

Neat project :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
McMaster–Carr has a really good selection of wire. No load‐bearing wires, sadly.

Pages 828 and 829 have the good stuff.

Long-Life Continuous-Flex Wire, Stranded Carbon Fiber, 38 Gauge sounds interesting. Shame it’s $2∕foot and can’t be soldered to.

quote:

Carbon fiber wire has 12,000 flexible strands that are nearly invisible on X-rays and imaging equipment.
Don’t tell 24’s writers.

“Long-Life Continuous-Flex Wire, Metallic Tinsel with Kevlar Core, 33 Gauge”, “32 Gauge Miniature Continuous-Flex Wire”, or even “Flexible Miniature High-Temperature Wire, 36 Gauge” ought to work, though.

They’re all basically the same price, so I like the sound of the first.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 13, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So I got this welder with a bum LCD panel. It's a pretty old machine, 1990s era something. I took off the covers tonight to have a closer look at the panel. I'd really like it replaced as its job is to show what amperage I am using.

Here's the display itself, mounted on a circuit board. I counted 20 pins on one side, so a 40 pin LCD. Googling that gives me a bunch of results. Would it just be a matter of buying one and swapping it out, a plug and pray operation essentially?

Rest of the machine if anyone cares, it's some kind of early inverter. It was made in Finland during the heyday of the finnish electronics sector which had a real boom in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

insta posted:

(crossposted from electronics stackexchange)

I have a 1258MHz transmitter running at 1W output power. I want to switch it between two antennas while it's in the field.

Can I use a pair of any standard MOSFETs for this, assuming the power dissipation of the FET is adhered to? If not, what do I look for in the datasheet to know that a particular FET is appropriate?

If a FET isn't appropriate, what kind of device would be? I'm not oscillating the thing at anything more than 1hz (at worst!), so I don't think I need the special "RF" components.

I don't have intimate knowledge of designing these kinds of systems, but have a hunch that what you want may be kind of tricky to design.

Even though you may not be switching between antennas quickly, the 1 GHz signal needs to pass through the switch without being attenuated. If you were to buy ordinary high power FETs to do this I'd be shocked if they could respond to GHz signals.

Why not just buy an RF switch? Peregrine Semiconductor sells a lot of surface mount RF switches which could do what you are interested in.

Various companies also sell RF switches with coaxial connectors, which may be more convenient for you to use. The connectorized switches will be more expensive though, though.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 14, 2016