Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mods on PS4 are not happening. Apparently Sony is not playing ball. So much for Sony being "for the players."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

J-Spot posted:

Mods on PS4 are not happening. Apparently Sony is not playing ball. So much for Sony being "for the players."

I just needed a small nudge to justify deleting FO4 from my PS4 now that I've finished everything; this will do nicely.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Pwnstar posted:

It's cool how your character instantly starts icing raiders without comment at the start of the game, no reaction to the fact that people are trying to kill you or anything.

yep.

Like, even the traditional 'nameless faceless prisoner' bethesda start is a little more believable.

If anything they should have gone the SOMA route and had the player characters spring fully formed from a cloning tank in an institute facility someplace, giving them an immediate interest in uncovering the truth about the institute and their own past

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

tenderjerk posted:

I just needed a small nudge to justify deleting FO4 from my PS4 now that I've finished everything; this will do nicely.

I'm there once I get the platinum (just need the happiness trophy and a few bobbleheads.)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Speaking of trophies, gently caress whoever decided getting 100,000 tickets in the Nuka Arcade was a good idea for one. The happiness trophy is nothing compared to that.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Pwnstar posted:

It's cool how your character instantly starts icing raiders without comment at the start of the game, no reaction to the fact that people are trying to kill you or anything.

Just started the game, but based on the prologue (military background, kidnapped kid) I've decided to approach problems as Liam Neeson in Taken. So, icing people is no concern.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Hay guys, about a million pages ago someone posted a really-real world gun review of a Fallout Combat Shotgun and I can't for the life of me find it - can anyone help?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

J-Spot posted:

I don't think this is such a big loss anyway, mods on consoles always seemed like a pretty odd idea.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm there once I get the platinum (just need the happiness trophy and a few bobbleheads.)

Did they make the Community Happiness one easier with Nuka World? I tried sitting around w/ a one person colony for an hour and nothing happened. If I could reliably find the dog salesman, I could get it but nothing doing.

The ticket one is stupid, but with the exploding SMG that Cricket sells outside Diamond City, you can make it happen.

Also Preston Garvey is STILL bugged, I should be at a million affinity with him but he won't say poo poo.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Did they make the Community Happiness one easier with Nuka World? I tried sitting around w/ a one person colony for an hour and nothing happened. If I could reliably find the dog salesman, I could get it but nothing doing.

Does it have to be the Commonwealth dog salesman? There's one in the Far Harbor DLC, I forget exactly where, but you can buy dogs, wolves :getin: or mutant hounds :black101:.

Not sure if I could send any of those back to the mainland, though. Might have to check... I could use a bunch of wolves at my gang settlements.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I only have Nuka World in terms of DLC.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Not sure if I could send any of those back to the mainland, though. Might have to check... I could use a bunch of wolves at my gang settlements.

You can, I sent a bunch back to spectacle island to be buddies with dogmeat and junk yard dog.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

J-Spot posted:

And there goes the last significant thing I had to look forward to in this game. I don't suppose Bethesda is going to offer any compensation for dropping a promised feature because they couldn't be assed to think about poo poo like this before they promised us mods, either.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Pwnstar posted:

My first and forever favorite thing about FO4 is how the Lone Survivor is in a panicked, discombobulated state all through Vault 111 until they see the Cryo gun and are all "haha hell yeah I'm comin back for you, girl"

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Golden Bee posted:

The ticket one is stupid, but with the exploding SMG that Cricket sells outside Diamond City, you can make it happen.
It's still an obnoxious amount of grinding even with Spray n Pray. Generally that thing will dispense between 700 and 800 tickets per go, although once in awhile it decides to spawn several extra objects to allow you to get 1000. Assuming an average of 800 tickets per game and about 80-90 seconds to go through it, that's about 3 hours of nothing but grinding that stupid game. The amount of tickets you find in the park barely makes a dent in that. I doubt Bethesda even considered that as an exploit either, so the time they actually expected you to spend was probably at least double that.

Father Wendigo posted:

And there goes the last significant thing I had to look forward to in this game. I don't suppose Bethesda is going to offer any compensation for dropping a promised feature because they couldn't be assed to think about poo poo like this before they promised us mods, either.
I can't really fault Bethesda on this. They're initial messaging was the mods would come to X-Box and they only announced it for Playstation after getting Sony's blessing. Sony are the ones who are now refusing to cooperate.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 9, 2016

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!

Pwnstar posted:

Also cool is how if you try to tell Preston "no, I'm not going to take a minigun and burn down all these people; I don't know them, I don't know you, I'm a random-rear end lady with zero qualifications for this suicide mission, and you already owe me for clearing the building" then the game just tells you you're an rear end in a top hat

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!
Todd Howard voice: why wouldn't some shellshocked rip van winkle run headlong into the nearest gunfight and massacre a bunch of randos for less than zero reason

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.

TRON JEREMY posted:

Todd Howard voice: why wouldn't some shellshocked rip van winkle run headlong into the nearest gunfight and massacre a bunch of randos for less than zero reason

Everyone handles grief differently.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The randos are dirty and have scrap metal on them, thus making them assholes.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!
Jane Fallout: sorry man, the skeleton's wrist computer says you're a "raider", so, ehhhhh [cocks hammer]

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

TRON JEREMY posted:

Jane Fallout: sorry man, the skeleton's wrist computer says you're a "raider", so, ehhhhh [cocks hammer]

And it says "Raider" in red text!

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!
- Oh hey guy, what's your story

* I got almost all of my people killed and have led them from the frying pan to the fire for pretty much years on end. Now listen to this great plan I have where you step between me and bullets

- YEAh, I'M INTO IT

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Dry Gulch in Nuka World is hysterical.The female VA lines for "play along" with the wild west theme are wonderful.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TRON JEREMY posted:

- Oh hey guy, what's your story

* I got almost all of my people killed and have led them from the frying pan to the fire for pretty much years on end. Now listen to this great plan I have where you step between me and bullets

- YEAh, I'M INTO IT
I think you mean:

1. YEAh, I'M INTO IT
2. YEAh, I'M INTO IT
3. YEAh, I'M INTO IT
4. NOT RIGHT NOW, BUT YEAh, I'M INTO IT

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!

tooterfish posted:

I think you mean:

1. YEAh, I'M INTO IT
2. YEAh, I'M INTO IT
3. YEAh, I'M INTO IT
4. NOT RIGHT NOW, BUT YEAh, I'M INTO IT

for a good time, try telling Gage you don't want to lead any manky old raiders. you can tell him three times, and each time he'll just say B U T T H O U M U S T

aaand that's the story of why I made Gage's head explode

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Motherfucker posted:

If anything they should have gone the SOMA route and had the player characters spring fully formed from a cloning tank in an institute facility someplace, giving them an immediate interest in uncovering the truth about the institute and their own past

That...is a premise that is 100x better than OMG MAH BAYBAY

And think about the "twist" being that you're an actual clone of the "Shaun" character substitute, but that until that point you believe you are a synth rather than a clone. Nice.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!
That's a good idea, but it would break their streak of games that deliver the plot hook through a bullshit prophecy

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Motherfucker posted:

I like this idea.

You're born in the institute, although you don't even know that's what it is since you're just a slave who is mistreated and rudely ordered about. You escape out into the commonwealth, find all these groups like the brotherhood and the railroad, and eventually figure out that you're one of these synths that everyone is talking about.

At this point the choice to try to free the other synths via the railroad becomes meaningful, or the choice to destroy the institute or possibly take it over.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It also makes the Brotherhood even more nuanced or lets Bethesda frame them as pure antagonists from the player perspective.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I liked the Shaun reveal. I also like that you automatically start wearing a wedding ring but no romanceable NPC comments on it. "Huh, a ring over there...you're a lefty?"

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rumor has it that Sony wanted Bethesda to QA all mods submitted because of frequent crashes.

I could add a joke here but it's far too obvious.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

I liked the Shaun reveal. I also like that you automatically start wearing a wedding ring but no romanceable NPC comments on it. "Huh, a ring over there...you're a lefty?"

I can kinda see that, though. A ring is something you find in ruins and melt down to make your lovely radioactive life better. It has probably lost its DeNukaBeers-driven meaning by the time two centuries has passed after the war.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think there's enough of a 1950s holdover that people know what -marriage- is. But maybe 2070 was a post-racial society, which is why your character can be a bisexual fillipino and appeal to debached royalty, wasteland bandits and futuristic cyberpunks.

Does anyone have a link to the full Bottle & Cappy park safety cartoon? Every link I find is just the trailer.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Pwnstar posted:

You're playing as a war veteran from a time when part of a soldier's job was to dome Canadian civilians on camera for the news and ship hippies to internment camps to be science experiments. Frankly I'm surprised they don't play a voice clip in the first raider fight of the character going "yeah! hell yeah! Eat poo poo! gently caress! yeah!"

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

2house2fly posted:

You're playing as a war veteran from a time when part of a soldier's job was to dome Canadian civilians on camera for the news and ship hippies to internment camps to be science experiments. Frankly I'm surprised they don't play a voice clip in the first raider fight of the character going "yeah! hell yeah! Eat poo poo! gently caress! yeah!"

what if your playing the lady lawyer though.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Roobanguy posted:

non canon.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Roobanguy posted:

My character is the lady and

2house2fly posted:

"yeah! hell yeah! Eat poo poo! gently caress! yeah!

she more or less does that when Nerd Rage kicks in.

Moms are tough.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I just always figured that outside of the snapshot of you're oh-so perfect suburban life right before the bombs dropped, pre-war America wasn't really all that much better to live in than after the Great War. You basically would have crime and rioting out of control, political crackdowns, some super flu wiping everyone out (what the FEV was originally intended to cure), food and energy shortages everywhere, and every seemingly mundane company is actually some secret charnal house of workplace fatalities. Then just kind of fill in your mind how much that affected your character.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Berke Negri posted:

I just always figured that outside of the snapshot of you're oh-so perfect suburban life right before the bombs dropped, pre-war America wasn't really all that much better to live in than after the Great War. You basically would have crime and rioting out of control, political crackdowns, some super flu wiping everyone out (what the FEV was originally intended to cure), food and energy shortages everywhere, and every seemingly mundane company is actually some secret charnal house of workplace fatalities. Then just kind of fill in your mind how much that affected your character.

Pretty much every pre-war journal we find confirms this. Horrible police checkpoints, corruption at every level of society. Hell, there was a drug dealer *two houses away from you* in Sanctuary Hills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Haven't played since Far Harbor as I was waiting for the rest of the DLC to drop so modding would stabilise, and drat the amount of real estate they give you in Vault 88 is actually slightly intimidating. Should I be trying to spread into this as much as I can? Don't have any dwellers yet so I dont know what sort of things the overseer is going to have me build.

• Locked thread