Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

she definitely got nerfed because of competitive i think, although her win rate was pretty dang good. she was really dominant in competitive in the regions that bothered to learn her. like old viktor or ziggs level of wave clear with ridiculous roaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
She just did way too much damage for a mid with insane roaming capability and good wave clear.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Taric's heal would probably be less annoying to keep track of if they made it always heal for 3 charges worth, but would only heal for 1 charges worth if the hero has been healed by it within X seconds. Keeps the healspam limiter, but makes it easier to discern when your healing is going to be effective again.

ImpAtom posted:

Why did they nerf Taliyah anyway? It didn't seem like she was particularly oppressive.

She wasn't a big laning problem, but they underestimated the damage her minefield -> knock combo would do. It's not the first time this has happened either; Ziggs got a number of tweaks to his mines due to them dealing absurd damage.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think that saying taliyah wasnt a laning problem is the most incorrect possible thing you could say about her

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Why did they nerf Taliyah anyway? It didn't seem like she was particularly oppressive.

She was artificially enabled to shove waves harder than anyone else in the game and has a really good roaming kit. That combination tend to be really good.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

i think that saying taliyah wasnt a laning problem is the most incorrect possible thing you could say about her

I meant that it didn't feel say, oppressive to lane against her; she just pushed insanely fast and then ganked other lanes. She certainly had too much roaming mobility on top of the silly burst combo.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Chogod is the best champion in the game and I'm very upset someone has that name that doesn't play anymore

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

exethan posted:

She had a 53 or 55 percent win rate and was nuts in comp play

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So I've been playing my usual Kayle top and just got completely wrecked by a top Kha'zix. Is he actually a strong pick now? Did I just pick into a bad matchup? Or did I just play that terribly?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
so is taliyah a support now that her waveclear has been gutted

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

so is taliyah a support now that her waveclear has been gutted

she's slated for a rework.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Twisted Fate being the most notable example, but I'm not sure that if you straight up lined up the cast of S1 or 2 champions with the cast of S6 champions the early ones would be the ones getting picked.
ccs were longer, base damage was higher, silences existed, attack speed was non-standardized, and there have generally been more nerfs than buffs over the course of the game

i don't think it'd be ONLY S1/2 champs being picked, but if you lined up season 1 and season 6 annie, people would pick the one with the 2.5 second stun over the one with a slightly better E and slightly better ai on tibbers

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
the official yorick rework word from the former legend of top lane himself dyrus:
top lane yorick: poo poo
jungle yorick: good so far

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Endorph posted:

ccs were longer, base damage was higher, silences existed, attack speed was non-standardized, and there have generally been more nerfs than buffs over the course of the game

i don't think it'd be ONLY S1/2 champs being picked, but if you lined up season 1 and season 6 annie, people would pick the one with the 2.5 second stun over the one with a slightly better E and slightly better ai on tibbers

ratios were way higher on everything too

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

exethan posted:

ratios were way higher on everything too

It was funny in beta when almost everything had a 1.0 AP ratio because they didn't know any better. Kassadin with two 1.0 AP ratio nukes and his ult with like .5 was loving scary.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
although the best was when executioner's calling had 1.0 ap ratio PER TICK over 12 seconds before they hotfixed it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Aumanor posted:

So I've been playing my usual Kayle top and just got completely wrecked by a top Kha'zix. Is he actually a strong pick now? Did I just pick into a bad matchup? Or did I just play that terribly?
In my idiotic, uninformed opinion, Kayle works best against melee champions you can kite easily. So your garens and illaois, etc. champ.gg win rates seem to bear this out. I would guess kha's jump/burst would make him somewhat tough for Kayle. Though frankly, I think Kayle should still have the better of that - you should be able to q and/or w and than e while kiting back, I think.

But I am bad.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Endorph posted:

Look at what happened with Sejuani and Cinderhulk. Sej was overpowered, they nerfed her into the ground, then realized the real problem was tank junglers in general so they nerfed that, then left Sejuani underpowered.

Sejuani (and arguably Amumu) was the only viable tank jungler pre-Cinderhulk and had gotten buffs shortly before, then Cinderhulk made her an unkillable monster that had way too much damage and CC. Her subsequent nerfs followed by a small buff left her very playable and she's still the 4th highest winrate jungler in plat+ today.

Neurolimal posted:

I meant that it didn't feel say, oppressive to lane against her; she just pushed insanely fast and then ganked other lanes. She certainly had too much roaming mobility on top of the silly burst combo.

As a champion with a 0 damage ult, Taliyah had way too much power on her non-ult damage skills and laning against a good Taliyah was an absolute nightmare. If you played against one who was good at landing the knockup you could die easily, and even without that she could just easily outpush you with Q. Also playing against a really hard pusher is basically the definition of oppressive, see e.g. pre-nerf Malzahar.

Aumanor posted:

Kayle into lane Kha'zix should be basically the definition of freelo.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I haven't played since 2013 (season 3) and after looking at a guide, apparently graves is not an ADC anymore. Uhh, kinda overwhelmed and not sure where the correct resources are for relearning the meta and game. Any particular tips or guides for getting up to speed?

Edit: Is Shaco, TF and Warick any good still?

poe meater fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 10, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Endorph posted:

That's how riot balancing works. If something is a problem, they nerf a bunch of the symptoms, realize it isn't fixing anything, nerf the root cause, then don't revert anything.

Look at what happened with Sejuani and Cinderhulk. Sej was overpowered, they nerfed her into the ground, then realized the real problem was tank junglers in general so they nerfed that, then left Sejuani underpowered.

This is why LoL has had a downwards power curve over its life.

'When sej was absurdly broken she felt fun to play and now that she's merely top 5 I really feel like she's super underpowered because I don't win as much'

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

NTT posted:

'When sej was absurdly broken she felt fun to play and now that she's merely top 5 I really feel like she's super underpowered because I don't win as much'

Except she's slowly gained back ground after the original nerfs. After Cinderhulk got dumpstered she was sitting at something like a 46% winrate iirc

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

she was left under powered, merely the fifth best jungler at winning the game

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
They think that they should have reverted Kog because he was an unsuccessful update but what tf about Mordekaiser who used to be a fun niche before but is now un-balabcable because he relies on being over-powered to compensate for being an "ADC Juggernaut"

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Morde-who?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mordekaiser has 50%+ win rates in both top and jungle, which suggests to me that perhaps he is not unbalanceable

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
ah yes, jungle winrates. the most valuable number out of context. well, here's your worlds jungle meta

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

oh are we doing this? then i guess vlad is busted but too lazy to post his 46% win rate in solo queue. are you actually this stupid

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
not complaining if that actually happened. Insec's fiddle game was the coolest poo poo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

annie is actually bad because she wont be played at worlds. we need to do something about this, we need to redesign her

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Space Flower posted:

ah yes, jungle winrates. the most valuable number out of context. well, here's your worlds jungle meta

It's funny because whenever any pro player busts something weird off this list they almost always win.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
The most shocking thing about that list is that this might be the first time that solo queue all star Amumu isn't in the top 5.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Crazy Larry posted:

The most shocking thing about that list is that this might be the first time that solo queue all star Amumu isn't in the top 5.

both kayle and aurelion sol are sub 1% play rate and if you discount them then he's exactly 5th

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I miss OG Graves. I think i'm gonn miss new Kog tho. His jungle om hit build is so dumb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NTT posted:

i don't even play sej my dude, zac is the only jungle champion for me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

mordekaiser has 50%+ win rates in both top and jungle, which suggests to me that perhaps he is not unbalanceable
mordekaiser is like, fine, but even though he has decent win rates in top and jungle he has a bunch of random cruft hanging off of him from their attempts to make him an adc, and the dragon thing, while cool, is probably the jankiest mechanic currently in the game and only seems to function half the time.

I don't think he needs to be completely reworked but I think they need to admit that adc morde was a dumb idea, remove the bonus experience thing off his W, and extensively retool the dragon gimmick. He can still TP to dragon fights from top lane and as a jungler he should be there anyway, so i don't think it's impossible to work with his preferred lanes, but it's still a little off.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

rabidsquid posted:

Impossible to balance in its intended position (Bot lane) without being over/under powered. They need to rework his kit to remove the bot lane stuff.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I think Morde's top winrate is hugely contingent on people not realizing the third bonk does a bajillion damage and this snowballs into a pretty decent splitpusher.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Morde has an absurdly high power budget mitigated by having to get around on pizza feet. I think he might be artificially good last patch cycle because he can go toe to toe with fmallet tops using rylais

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Space Flower posted:

The Worlds jungle meta could actually be pretty weird and involve e.g. Skarner (he was played in the LCK Gauntlet finals). After the Rek'Sai/Gragas changes Nidalee and Elise are probably the two clear top-tier junglers (though Rek'Sai should stay in the meta), and if they start drawing bans a lot of stuff is suddenly on the table -- Kindred, Hecarim, Zac, Lee Sin, Graves, Sejuani.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
mordekaiser does ridiculous damage if you don't put him down early

• Locked thread