Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It is, but it actually makes things kind of worse in a way. Like, none of them have been given a means to escape the game, until Kazaki forces the issue. Which means that both Yanagi and Iraho gained the memories of multiple death games... and just decided to loving go with it? They weren't told "Win the game and you escape", they weren't told "last six rounds and everyone goes free", they were told that they were doomed to be trapped forever in a loving nightmare scenario of murdering each other over and over again and they kind of shrugged and went "Ok, gonna go kill my friends now, peace out." What the gently caress is wrong with these people? Other than :japan:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Bravo posted:

It is, but it actually makes things kind of worse in a way. Like, none of them have been given a means to escape the game, until Kazaki forces the issue. Which means that both Yanagi and Iraho gained the memories of multiple death games... and just decided to loving go with it? They weren't told "Win the game and you escape", they weren't told "last six rounds and everyone goes free", they were told that they were doomed to be trapped forever in a loving nightmare scenario of murdering each other over and over again and they kind of shrugged and went "Ok, gonna go kill my friends now, peace out." What the gently caress is wrong with these people? Other than :japan:?

Wait, how do you know they were told that the rounds would continue forever? Even if it's not true, I think most people who think "oh so each person gets a single "real" round they have to survive" if told what Daiya tells Kazuki.

The main reason the thing with Yanagi bugged me wasn't so much that her behavior was exceptionally unrealistic, but more that it seemed to be portrayed in such a way that the reader is supposed to think "poor girl, forced by circumstances outside of her control to do evil things", when there's still not really any excuse for what she did. I'm not even saying I would necessarily do things differently myself, but I certainly wouldn't expect to not be considered a terrible person.

Btw, the names are "Kazuki" and "Iroha."

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

You're exactly right, I wasn't thinking of everything. If either Daiya or Koudai were still hanging around during the other people's turns they would have known something was up, and either suspected Daiya or Kazuki during their respective rounds. Of course only Daiyo would reveal himself to only Kazuki. But even if that's the case, then they'd have absolutely no information to go on, so how would they know that they have to survive during their respective rounds? It still seems like they're pretty hosed up to immediately jump to "murder everyone", whether they were informed of the situation or not.

Edit: Massive spoilers for Volume 5:

quote:

"You don't normally encounter a being that grants 'wishes' in the form of such a familiar and concrete figure! Nor can you perceive it this clearly. The entirety of my giant 'self' is nothing but a 'power' that doesn't even possess a will. Then why is it that I am here now as 'O' and possess a will? It's because 'a certain someone' has given shape to the being 'O' through a 'wish'."

"'A certain someone'...?"

What is 'O' talking about? That he was created by someone while also being a supernatural phenomenon?

"Let's try to think of a 'wish' that could achieve that. Right, how about this: 'I want to make everybody's wishes come true'."

"———!!"

Could it be...

loving CALLED IT! :thurman:

Double Edit: Oh my god, Volume 6 has just started and it's already breaking my goddamned loving heart

quote:

It's certainly possible that I would obtain a 'box'; as a matter of fact, I intended to reach out to 'O' and defeat Daiya with a 'box' if worse came to worst. Again, that'd only be in the worst case scenario, but I did plan for that contingency.

But even if I did obtain one, I wouldn't be able to wish for something like that. My 'box' would never be something like the 'Wish-Crushing Cinema.' I can't choose a 'box' that only saves Daiya.

I mean, such a box is only possible for someone who thinks about no one but Daiya from the bottom of his or her heart, isn't it?

Kokone... :smith:

Final Edit: finished Utsuro no Hako. It gets loving dark. I don't like the ending. I don't like it at all. Mainly because of the end of Volume 5

quote:

Aah, I no longer feel that there's too little “self” inside me.

It was disgusting. I wondered why I felt that way and where that feeling came from. It was like I was swept along by some external force, like my will was controlled by that same powerful force. I had just experienced that phenomenon: even though I had just fallen into the depths of despair after I deemed it impossible to save Maria, those feelings were somehow swept aside so that I could try to find a solution by questioning Iroha-san.

Finally, I have an explanation.

Everything was set up by Maria.

It was all her fault. She played havoc with my life. Maria's 'box' is the root of all evil. It's her fault that I tried to stab Iroha-san, it's her fault that I was willing to let Mogi-san die as I destroyed her 'box', it's all Maria's fault.

I have been under Maria's control.

"Heh, ha, ahahahahahahahahahaha, HAHA, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!"

And that—feels loving great.

Kazuki never wanted this poo poo. His feelings for Maria may have grown organically, but the all-encompassing fascination is brought on by her unconsciously designating him as her "savior". And his reward is to be thrown into a literal hell for basically an eternity, until his mind is scraped away into nothingness. And then he gets to rebuild his life from being a vegetable into one that revolves around Maria. You can't even make the excuse that it's O's fault and not hers, because she loving created O from the trauma of losing her sister. She is the single cause of every bad thing that happens in the story, and in the end she gets the guy after breaking his soul and mind. It's loving terrifying

I mean, I get that the entire point of the story is "sometimes people do bad things, but that doesn't mean they're bad people." and yeah, that message is pretty true, otherwise you wouldn't be able to sympathize at all with Mogi. But my god, that ending is still massively hosed up and soul-crushing. Like, if you strip out all the supernatural bullshit, and write a story where a teenager falls for a girl, she locks him in the basement for a year until his mind breaks, then realizes that she actually loves him so she lets him out and declares her undying love for him and slowly rehabilitates him... that's not a happy ending. That's not a happy story. That's some Stephen King poo poo, yo.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 8, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
My god, when did this thread turn into a CIA document?

Anyways recently Sevens has been dragging. If I were to compare it to a JRPG, it's at that awkward midgame point where you just run around doing some sidequests for a bit till the plot advances.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Sorry, I just know there's several other people in the thread reading along and it's the kind of series where spoilers ruin everything so I'm trying to be more cautious than I usually am.

In other news, my wounded heart has been healed thanks to the warmth of Northern Nobleman and Raptor Wife.

quote:

As she looked puzzled, I caressed her hair with my fingers.

“I wonder if the sun is coloured like this?”
“!?”

I said that and kissed the hair that had the colour of the sun.

“See, I didn’t melt.”
“……”

Sieg looked extremely troubled.
I only recently found out that this face was her embarrassed expression.

I held her shoulders and kissed her on the lips.

I thought I was going to melt from just touching her, but thinking that it was in a different sense of the word, I focused on the act.

The sun from overseas enveloped me in a warm light.

I could not be happier.

:3:

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Why do web novels have so many linebreaks? Does it make it easier to read on a computer screen?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In Volume 4 of Utsuro no Hako, Kazuki is finally actually Doing Things. Thank god.

edit: I wish it would stop saying that Yanagi is only willing to manipulate and murder others because she has no other choice. She has clearly been offered a potential option that doesn't involve killing (particularly in the fourth game when Kazuki mentions how everyone will survive if no one is killed by the final day) and chooses to not believe it and do a bunch of evil poo poo. I understand how she might not be willing to take that chance, but it's total nonsense that it's her "only choice."

There's also the fact that she always immediately begins scheming to kill the others, without spending any time at all attempting to find some alternative.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 8, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I don't wanna say too much about Yanagi, but she's probably the smartest character in the entire series. That's not to say she makes good decisions.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

lol meng hao is so petty

“Do you have a younger sister?” Meng Hao asked through clenched teeth.

Sun Hai was momentarily struck dumb. From the feeling he got at this moment, Meng Hao seemed to be on the verge of flying into a rage.

“Uh… yeah, yeah I have a younger sister, she—”

“Who’s more of a bitch, you or your sister!” Meng Hao interrupted loudly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maria is kind of a hosed up person. I'm guessing there's going to be some dramatic twist that casts a negative light on her previous actions at some point, though I can't guess as to what it might be.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

For me I can safely say, without hyperbole, Maria is the worst character in the series. That's just my personal feelings, though, I get the impression the author wants her to come off as more of a tragic heroine.

Edit: Has everyone read Invisible Dragon? Because if not, everyone needs to read Invisible Dragon.

The freaking summary posted:

this is probably the most generic thing you’re going to find anywhere. It literally has everything. An MC who beats up everything, trains, goes to another universe, beats everything up again, etc etc. He’s a peerless beauty as well (super bishie!!). Because of it’s.. um.. nature, Korea’s renowned fantasy author, Lee Young Do (wrote Esoril’s Dragon, The Bird Who Drinks Tears, and Dragon Raja), praised it for criticizing many of the novels in Korea for being so generic. what the gently caress

Words cannot do justice. It's short as hell, too, 50 "chapters" but each chapter is one or two paragraphs. It barrels through "plot" like a truck through a herd of japanese high-school reincarnators.

quote:

The invisible dragon trainled like shet for 300milion years
now everything starts for real now

quote:

when the invisible dragon shot out a beam from his pinki finger that big big crowd
disappeared int an instant there was blood everywhere everyone’s heads were getting cut off it was awesome
now the invisible dragon is really awesome no one can fight him
since it was invisible it was even more scary so everyone was trembling

Double Edit: Oh my god the romance

quote:

duike:but why would yu fall for invisible dragon! you cant even saw him!

shang’a:this is why men are so usless do you love with ur eyes? you love with ur heart!

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 9, 2016

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Meme Emulator posted:

lol meng hao is so petty

“Do you have a younger sister?” Meng Hao asked through clenched teeth.

Sun Hai was momentarily struck dumb. From the feeling he got at this moment, Meng Hao seemed to be on the verge of flying into a rage.

“Uh… yeah, yeah I have a younger sister, she—”

“Who’s more of a bitch, you or your sister!” Meng Hao interrupted loudly.

I don't know, seems reasonable he'd be a bit cranky right after finding out he unknowingly gave his older sister the go-ahead to ruin his poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was a transaction and he unwittingly promised to take a beating from his scary sister. savage beatings are to her as conning is to meng hao.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
drat I can't wait for Meng Hao to wreck the Fang clan.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I didn't have a strong dislike of Fang Wei and the Grand Elder until this chapter. Those fruits...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Fang Wei is gonna have his entire body and soul crushed to bits and it will be glorious.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

SerSpook posted:

I didn't have a strong dislike of Fang Wei and the Grand Elder until this chapter. Those fruits...

I can't help imagining the Dao fruits as a pair of wrinkly balls. I have watched Rich and Morty too much. Balls everywhere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not really sure why the fang clan thinks a hothouse flower that has been given everything he ever wanted for all of his life is gonna be some great leader, though.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Instead of killing Fang Wei, I hope Meng Hao uses his promissory note magic to get a debt for those fruits. Wei, you will be indebted to Meng Hao forever!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SerSpook posted:

Giving MH the fruits that were supposed to kill him wasn't enough for you to dislike them?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Serious Frolicking posted:

i'm not really sure why the fang clan thinks a hothouse flower that has been given everything he ever wanted for all of his life is gonna be some great leader, though.

Not a leader, but a weapon that the elders can point at their enemies.

Fang Wei is gonna have his entire body and soul crushed to bits and it will be glorious.

My money's on him getting refined into a medicinal pill to nourish Meng Hao's new fruits.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I mean, logically I should have hated them all along--while the Grand Elder at least made a show of being likable (and has had doubts) he still basically attempted to kill Meng Hao, and Fang Wei has never been anything but a total rear end in a top hat--but it somehow didn't sink in before. I think if the fruits hadn't yet been used, or even if the Grand Elder had used them himself, that would be one thing. I mean, if I'm Meng Hao and you steal something from me because you want it, yeah, I'm not going to be happy with you (understatement), and you're in for some vengeance, but I can at least understand that. But if you still from me so that you can give it to that dickhead, I somehow find that to be way, way less forgivable.

Also, there's absolutely no way that Fang Wei can cope at all with not being the best. He doesn't show any resourcefulness at all. Meng Hao's crushed dozens of Chosen like him, and it's going to be so, so satisfying to watch him eat his own words.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I just caught up on about 150 chapters of ISSTH when I saw people talking about a second alchemy arc. What a place to have to wait for chapters again! Can't wait to justly see Meng Hao gently caress this guy's life up and hopefully wreck the Fang clan power structure.

I'm enjoying the intrigue and the various new Chosen, but I wish they were a bit more of a challenge for Meng Hao. I'm amazed Li Shiqi is still semi-relevant in the story after a cursory introduction shortly after the Reliance Sect.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Avulsion posted:

Not a leader, but a weapon that the elders can point at their enemies.

My money's on him getting refined into a medicinal pill to nourish Meng Hao's new fruits.

nah, they are raising him as an authority figure. it was obvious from how meng hao's first meeting with the clan went. wei didn't have any official power in that place, since he wasn't an elder and had never contributed anything to the clan, but he still could say whatever he wanted and no one there was willing to contradict him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the other chosen were limited by how they weren't able to become immortal until pill demon ascended. right now they are in a transitional phase. anyone past 50% immortal meridians or so is still a pretty big threat, and most if not all of the chosen should pop right past that mark when they become immortal.

i think the vine thing was a clever idea, as it provided a reason for all of these peers and rivals to exist now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Also, now that Meng Hao is learning how to control giant swarms of insects, this had better lead into him actually cultivating the Dao of the Locust Immortal, because there is not a more perfect fit for Meng "Steals Building Supplies From Magical Ancient Ruins" Hao.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
more than wei getting his justly deserved rewards, i'm looking forward to the grand elder being told off for being such an idiot and backing the vastly inferior candidate once meng hao decides he is done with these chumps and peaces out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
though, it is also entirely possible that meng hao will rob him blind on his way out.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
These two double chapter releases may have been the most satisfying day of ISSTH so far. I'm going to go reread that again.

I fully expect his grandfather (possibly both) to return in a nick of time to ultimately save Meng Hao because otherwise I don't see how Fang Wei's father, grandfather, and patriarch don't decide to eliminate Meng Hao regardless of the consequences.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Lyon posted:

These two double chapter releases may have been the most satisfying day of ISSTH so far. I'm going to go reread that again.

I fully expect his grandfather (possibly both) to return in a nick of time to ultimately save Meng Hao because otherwise I don't see how Fang Wei's father, grandfather, and patriarch don't decide to eliminate Meng Hao regardless of the consequences.

they aren't the sole authority in the clan and now someone above them has noticed

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

they aren't the sole authority in the clan and now someone above them has noticed

Good call I was so excited about the other parts I forgot about that section.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

though, it is also entirely possible that meng hao will rob him blind on his way out.

only possible?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

UberJew posted:

only possible?

it isn't like the entire clan is his enemy.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
The sense I get is that the Grand Elder figured that Meng Hao died from whatever his karmic affliction was, or at least was guaranteed to die, and thus decided to use Meng Hao's Nirvana Fruits to pump up the second-best prospect in the clan. When it turned out Meng Hao had survived and become an incredibly powerful cultivator, the Elder was stuck running damage control.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

The Sandman posted:

The sense I get is that the Grand Elder figured that Meng Hao died from whatever his karmic affliction was, or at least was guaranteed to die, and thus decided to use Meng Hao's Nirvana Fruits to pump up the second-best prospect in the clan. When it turned out Meng Hao had survived and become an incredibly powerful cultivator, the Elder was stuck running damage control.

If he wasn't a punk who caved once Meng Hao's father and grandfather were gone he wouldn't have found himself in this situation where he is trying to kill Meng Hao to cover up his mistakes. The grand elder and Fang Wei's family getting their comeuppance is high on my list of things I'm looking forward to.

I also can't wait for Meng Hao to assimilate the original patriarch's nirvana fruits and become the clan leader or whatever it will signify. I imagine that is what will summon the door to immortality and allow Meng Hao to claim his immortal destiny or whatever the heck.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Meng Hao will spend a while playing with the doll action figure his dad left him and perform his duties as a tomb raider sweeper. Then things get weird and we get another Patriarch Reliance unsealing himself from under the state of Zhou moment, except properly scaled to current power levels.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the worst thing meng hao could do to the fang clan dickholes who keep trying to kill him is to show off how awesome he is and then leave for good. that is also more or less his plan because he doesn't really give a poo poo about the clan.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Algid posted:

Meng Hao will spend a while playing with the doll action figure his dad left him and perform his duties as a tomb raider sweeper. Then things get weird and we get another Patriarch Reliance unsealing himself from under the state of Zhou moment, except properly scaled to current power levels.

I don't quite get the references which is good because you've read the whole thing right? I am excited for more Patriarch Reliance though even if it is still far away.

I guess he has to settle the Fang clan arc quickly so we can get to solving the whole massive calamity that is coming from the outside and he can inherit Lord Li's legacy and all that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you are crazy, dude. who cares about the cosmically important stuff when there are shenanigans afoot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The only thing better than shenanigans are cosmic shenanigans. Steal the roof tiles of your neighbor, and you're just a dick. Steal the roof tiles of the Golden Palace of the Gods and you're a legend.

• Locked thread