Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I like the 'Foreign Tour' event for GoT. Does anything like that exist for the regular game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

I only did it with the one mod, but I added the larger intrigue menu mod in the middle of an ironman game and nothing exploded.

That's at least a little reassuring. I'll check out what's on the workshop later.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Parallax Scroll posted:

I have absolutely zero interest in mods that change the gameplay, but adding convenience features to the UI or making stuff look nicer sounds OK. Is there much risk of breaking stuff if I add something on when I've already got a campaign in progress?

You can add mods like Patrum Scuta, Various Font Mods, any tooltip mods, Novus Graphicus, and Better Looking Garbs/Cultural Portraits Reblanced to ongoing games with no problem!

I'd say check out Patrum Scuta (a dynastic CoA mod) and Better Looking Garbs/CPR (adds more variety to portraits). I'm pretty sure both BLG/CPR have achievement-compatible mods too. Heck, just put in "achievement compatible" or "ironman compatible" into the workshop search engine and you'll find a bunch of mods.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 8, 2016

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

nutranurse posted:

You can add mods like Patrum Scuta, Various Font Mods, any tooltip mods, Novus Graphicus, and Better Looking Garbs/Cultural Portraits Reblanced to ongoing games with no problem!

I'd say check out Patrum Scuta (a dynastic CoA mod) and Better Looking Garbs/CPR (adds more variety to portraits). I'm pretty sure both BLG/CPR have achievement-compatible mods too. Heck, just put in "achievement compatible" or "ironman compatible" into the workshop search engine and you'll find a bunch of mods.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

nutranurse posted:

You're going after the overhaul ones. Don't do that unless you want some totally different experience. It's like trying anal without prepping the butthole with a metric butt ton of foreplay. It's gonna be an unpleasant experience.

When I want a vanilla+ experience I put in these:

Patron Deities (Adds little patron saints/deities your characters can choose from depending on their religion. Confers a small stat bonus and penalty)
Cultural Bonuses (Adds various cultural based bonuses, e.g. Norsemen fielding more and better heavy infantry)
Your Personal Castle (Allows you to build upgrades to your capital province that confer new events, stat bonuses, and overall acts as a worthwhile money sink)
Trade++ (Extends the trade routes all throughout the world, and there's no performance impact as of the last patch!)
Unique Buildings (Adds unique buildings that would be in certain provinces, e.g. Hadrian's wall in northumbria/scotland)
Great Holy Warriors (Extends the crusader trait to all religions)
Historical Adventurers (Spawns more historical invaders/adventurers, e.g. Rollo invading and creating Normandy/Normans)

No changes to base mechanics! Only more events and stuff to do and none of it's crazy imbalanced.

Hmm thank you

Ill try some of that in my next game

EDIT: how different is the tribal experience with Conclave? Im wanting to try go viking again it for my next game but Im thinking the new council mechanics might make early game elective gavelkind even more annyoing to manage

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 8, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Hmm thank you

Ill try some of that in my next game

EDIT: how different is the tribal experience with Conclave? Im wanting to try go viking again it for my next game but Im thinking the new council mechanics might make early game elective gavelkind even more annyoing to manage

They don't really change how elective gavelkind works (everyone votes, council or not), but they do make it a bit harder because they tend to oppose raising tribal organization, so you have to barter favours for council support if you want to move towards becoming feudal/MR. Also, having people on the council doesn't prevent them from joining factions as a tribal.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

nutranurse posted:

You're going after the overhaul ones. Don't do that unless you want some totally different experience. It's like trying anal without prepping the butthole with a metric butt ton of foreplay. It's gonna be an unpleasant experience.

Tell that to my court physician would you, he keeps inserting random things into me to cure me of anything from headaches to cancer

"My Liege, I am afraid you contracted pneumonia, but luckily I - renowned healer and master physician - have just the cure for you. It is a tested and true method, safe in every way, now please bend over and for God's sake don't clench"

oh God stop it stop it leave me to die in peace you bastard

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Well I tried some mods. Patrum Scuta looks nice. I followed the instructions for Better Looking Garbs but the game crashes to desktop during the loading screen if I have that mod enabled. It might be because I'm using game version 2.4.5 and not the latest. Anyway I'm not asking for tech support, but if anyone else has run into the same issue I'd be interested in hearing if they had found a solution.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 9, 2016

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Parallax Scroll posted:

Jihad update: The caliph is based in Baghdad, so I would probably have a tough time wading troops all the way over there to gently caress with him.

I called England in as an ally but the HRE said no (wtf? "We like your enemies too much"). Those were my only two official allies - are other people gonna join in anyway or is it just gonna be me and England vs the muslim world?

Hey, are those mongols Muslim yet? It looks like they might be but if not, marry your daughters as close to the Khan as you can. (If you can, there's always those pesky religious penalty roadblocks.) They may take care of your problem for you either way.

Edit: Yeah, you're probably going to be in for a long and protracted fight here but as long as you pay attention to your borders and always try to stay on the defense in good terrain (mountains, forests and hills plus across any rivers or the straight) you should be able to overcome them.

Don't be afraid to hire mercenaries, in fact if you can you might want to hire a group and use your boats to ferry them to the boarder with Rum. After you see a large stack show up near your land, send the mercenaries in to start sacking some of the less developed lands in the Caliph's country.

Have you seen any large stacks show up yet?

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 9, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm immortal, and I became immortal in my thirties, but BOY sex is REALLY trying to kill my immortal. His heart apparently can't take it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Can you become incapable if immortal

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

So I'm immortal, and I became immortal in my thirties, but BOY sex is REALLY trying to kill my immortal. His heart apparently can't take it.

You're in luck! You can only die violently!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Just did a bunch of restarts to try and get an intrigue count in byz. Finally get one. He dies in year 1 from the flu. Try again. Finally get one. He dies in year 2 from dysentery.

Would be nice if, in Ironman, I could say "I want an intrigue oriented start" and get a fair start that wasn't leader maker good, but "you can do achievements with this guy" good.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

TheCIASentMe posted:

Hey, are those mongols Muslim yet? It looks like they might be but if not, marry your daughters as close to the Khan as you can. (If you can, there's always those pesky religious penalty roadblocks.) They may take care of your problem for you either way.

Yeah, they're Muslim.

TheCIASentMe posted:

Edit: Yeah, you're probably going to be in for a long and protracted fight here but as long as you pay attention to your borders and always try to stay on the defense in good terrain (mountains, forests and hills plus across any rivers or the straight) you should be able to overcome them.

Don't be afraid to hire mercenaries, in fact if you can you might want to hire a group and use your boats to ferry them to the boarder with Rum. After you see a large stack show up near your land, send the mercenaries in to start sacking some of the less developed lands in the Caliph's country.

Interesting idea. I've been purely on defensive so far but it's working. I've already got 3 holy orders working for me, and after recent losses have about 16k troops total. Portugal and England are supposedly helping but that's so far consisted of standing around and going "I'm helping!"

TheCIASentMe posted:

Have you seen any large stacks show up yet?

Just took out a 13.5k using the Strait of Gibraltar tactic mentioned earlier. Wiped them out with only 2k losses on my side. I've got scout ships all along north africa so I was able to prepare since they came by land. If anything much bigger shows up I might be in trouble.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I better get like a million piety for doing all this poo poo.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Seems like "you're illness will be cured" event doesn't work on leprosy.

This medic has taken an eye and a leg! What next?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Omnicarus posted:

I guess loving is violent, then. RIP immortal guy, dead of loving.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
833 and AI Ragnarr bossed out and reformed the faith and saved Saxony from France and now France is well that shattered world of France, Austrasia (the gently caress is this i never seen this before??), East Francia, and Burgundy.

also West Africa is slowly becoming Catholic which is cool since the Abbasid's have a defense pact from literally all available participants. Pagans, Christians, Muslims, Dharmen.

I'm hanging out in the Umayyad Spain as the King Of Portugal. Did the Beja start its p good and fun. Being the biggest dickswinger has been good for a few generations. Keeps my liege off my back as I take over weak dukes.

e: i just got the trader +2 stewardship, the diligent attribute gained, and the +1 amatuer steward events back to back like all at once that was v nice B)

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 9, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

verbal enema posted:

Austrasia (the gently caress is this i never seen this before??)

It's the new name for Lotharinga/Middle Francia, it changes when a non-Karling holds the title. I think it also took over half of de-jure Frisia in the update. :geert:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Odobenidae posted:

It's the new name for Lotharinga/Middle Francia, it changes when a non-Karling holds the title. I think it also took over half of de-jure Frisia in the update. :geert:

i can dig it

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, I forgot how Karen games suddenly slow down a lot when the Abbasids start getting involved. They have so many units, jeez. I didn't even fight them directly either, they came in to defend the Saffarids despite me having raised the caliph's opinion of me to 100 with my chancellor.

I guess I can't really avoid dealing with them to make progress now. Hm. Hopefully my assassination plot works and I can make inroads while they deal with the succession. Also ugh, butting up against both the vassal and the demesne cap, guess I need to start handing out duchies. Will revoke them and make them viceroyal duchies after I'm emperor(ess) somehow. Plus side: I finally have Esfahan in my control and I sunk a ton of tech points into it, and now have a trade zone four provinces in size. Will be able to up it to five (and upgrade my Esfahan trade post) after one more conquest, too.

Edit: In the 2.6.2 update, will the "don't rename empires to family names" thing just be an on or off option, or will you have the option to only have the no-renaming for yourself/player empires? I'd prefer to have "Persian Empire" (or Khiva, Persia, etc.) as my name on the map rather than Karen, for example, but I also like the other realms being the Abbasids, Saffarids, etc. (and the Abbasids having their unique family symbol as their map icon, it's neat). Like, I like the look and the feeling of accomplishment to write a big <empire name> on the map, but NPCs using their family names adds character, if that makes sense. Yeah. If it's possible to make requests on this, I'd like to see something like that.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 9, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YouTuber posted:

So apparently some guy on Reddit has come up with a Random World Generator. That is; a mod that crafts a new map, tiles, and topography in addition to a generator that creates a new timeline and religions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/51pod5/random_history_map_generator_for_ck2/

Of all the mods that have come and gone since release; this is easily the most ambitious.
Thank you for sharing this, it looks outstanding and I can't wait to give it a try.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

GreenMarine posted:

Seems like "you're illness will be cured" event doesn't work on leprosy.

This medic has taken an eye and a leg! What next?

You shouldn't get that as a Leper, did you have something else too?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

verbal enema posted:

Can you become incapable if immortal

Yes, but Paradox did not do what they should have done and create an achievement called 'Golden Throne'.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Interface question: In much older versions of ck2, I could right-click any character portrait and then click a menu option to bring up their character sheet. At some point they changed the right-click menu, and now I don't know how to easily get to someone's page. In some interfaces you can just left click the portrait, but in others (like selecting who should educate a child off a list of possible tutors), neither left nor right click brings their character sheet up. Is there still a universal way to do it? I'm playing the pre-conclave game version (2.4.5).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm playing the pre-conclave game version (2.4.5).

Don't

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Seriously, for speed alone you should be playing the current version. It's fast enough that I don't mind playing Ironman, which has always been a complete pain in the rear end before.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

SeaTard posted:

Seriously, for speed alone you should be playing the current version. It's fast enough that I don't mind playing Ironman, which has always been a complete pain in the rear end before.

I heard a lot of complaints about the new Conclave mechanics when they were new so I figured I'd do my latest campaign on the version before they added those rules. If the latest version is good I'll update after this campaign; I like to stick to one set of rules for the duration of a single campaign unless I have a really good reason to upgrade.

The Reaper expansion does look neat; currently I'm running everything except that and Conclave (and Sunset).

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 9, 2016

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The thing people hated most abot conclave can be completely negated by turning off shattered retreats, and possibly defensive pacts. If you don't want to deal with a council you can just turn off conclave itself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can also have Sunset Invasion active and turn it off with the game rules from the new update too, if you own it but don't want Aztecs showing up in your game. Keeps the notice about new content being available from showing up in the main menu, which is nice.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
One very cool thing is that you can set the Aztecs to come at a random date. It's fun, as they usually come when the game is all but over

I'm my current game (1066 start) they arrive very early, at France, in the early 12 century, messing up the whole game. They took all France while I (started has duke of Portucalle) conquered the whole Iberian Peninsula, and now (13 century) the game is about these 4 huge blobs (HRE, Hispania, England and t he Aztec empire) fighting for Europe

The Aztcs already lost all their event troops (thanks to 3 crusades, some adventurers and many wars against me and the HRE) but are still the strongest power by far (controlling all France and some German kingdoms), now I'm trying to set an alliance with the HRE so we can take back some land from them. I've been able to miraculously beat them back in one war they tried for Navarra, and then again in an offensive holy war for Barcelona when they were weakened after a long war with the HRE, but they still have a lot more armies than I at their full strength

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 9, 2016

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Playing as Italy and just survived the Black Death. It was brutal watching it spread from the steppes, following the Silk Road to the Mediterranean, spreading to everywhere in the Mediterranean and Africa, then spreading to rest of Europe before turning back east and spreading to rest of the steppes. It made a complete loop of the map. MY six year old queen managed to survive by hiding in her castle and the realm actually emerged more stable than before. I mean, levies were minimal but pretty much all faction members had died. There was only a handful of places that were uninfected: Pyrenees, Alps, India and Eastern Poland/Southern Lithuania (which were ravaged by Smallpox instead).

While this is going on Europe has been fighting a crusade to drive Mongols from Hungary for over 60 years now. It's been at an impasse for a couple of decades, Mongols can't keep all their holdings in the area but Europeans can't defeat Mongols in battle, so neither side can claim victory. I'm considering throwing my troops into the grinder to end the war, because Aztecs have already invaded Spain and still have their scary event troops.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

You can turn features off in the new version? That does sound nice.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Send missionaries to the Aztecs and get them to join the crusade. Pit one horde against another.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm. When I was trying Ireland out earlier, I could change my realm laws every five years, but playing in the east (where you start with absolute ruler/no council power) it's every ten years. Is getting to change your realm laws more often a perk of having an empowered council, or is this because of some other factor?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 9, 2016

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My leprous, disfigured King managed to have two children by bribing his wives (the first died of cancer) before kicking the bucket due to camp fever, leaving his one year old son as heir. His entire rule was dedicated to building hospitals but mostly maintaining a large enough treasury to hire enough mercenaries to put down any rebellion (he had a 0 diplomacy score)

The best game.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Omnicarus posted:

Oh, no. I got that event on my Immortal God Doge. 40% chance of death. He died.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is there a way to only call as many ships as you need? Playing as a Pisa patrician calling 90 ships to transport 2500 troops basically instantly bankrupts me.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I just got back into CK2 after maybe a year of not playing. My last expansion was Horse Lords since it added new provinces and my computer could barely handle India. I purchased all of the DLC so I'm current once again and this council poo poo is loving infuriating. It's becoming clear that CK3 is required to fix some of these various puzzle pieces that don't fit together. If a neighbor goes into rebellion it's usually prime time to nab land. I declare war on the state in defiance of the council. I siege about 60% of the rebellious vassal and the war ends inconclusively. I can clearly remember prior to my break that the rebellious vassal or overlord was required to break the occupation before declaring victory.

At the very least it should follow suit on EUIV and the winner should inherent the war along. As it stands now I'm out of whatever favors and opinion that I used to initiate the war. That is on top of whatever manpower and gold I used to maintain the armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol if you try to grab land from Revolts.

• Locked thread