Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dick Trauma posted:

What time is it now?

Time to reinstall Flash and/or Java!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We hired a networking/support guy for our New York office, after our old networking guy quit abruptly due to family issues. New guy isn't really working out so well. Today he had to install a new EMC shelf, which was already racked by the datacenter techs, and all he had to do was literally plug tab A into slot A, and he had someone on the phone with him to walk him through the process, and somehow he still hosed it up, so now one of the storage processors wants to be rebooted. I don't think he's going to last through his probation.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That talk is actually related to a problem I'm having which leads to a question I have for you guys.

What do your business consider the 'official' means of communication? We're running into issues where different segments of the organization seem to prefer different methods. I've got groups who say they don't check their email you need to reach them on Lync. Another group doesn't use Lync but you should contact them on Slack. The business provides email so that seems nice and official to me. I mean is this relatively common for anyone else, this kind of "I've got many ways to be contacted but I'll only acknowledge a couple of them" approach?

I mean I'm literally being told by an entire group of employees that "we don't monitor email" - uh, you got an email address when you were onboarded, yes you do monitor it - if I sent you an email, you read it.

At my work, the official communication method is an informal conversation and then not telling anyone else anything about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Colonial Air Force posted:

At my work, the official communication method is an informal conversation and then not telling anyone else anything about it.

Luxury! We dream of an informal conversation.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Our official communication is not saying anything and just expecting other people to know what you want.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Now you want me to also communicate at work? Jesus Christ gently caress you guys with all your requirements!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
This is affecting production! :argh:

wait gently caress this IS affecting production!

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

anthonypants posted:

We hired a networking/support guy for our New York office, after our old networking guy quit abruptly due to family issues. New guy isn't really working out so well. Today he had to install a new EMC shelf, which was already racked by the datacenter techs, and all he had to do was literally plug tab A into slot A, and he had someone on the phone with him to walk him through the process, and somehow he still hosed it up, so now one of the storage processors wants to be rebooted. I don't think he's going to last through his probation.

"I'm a network guy, not a storage guy!"

(Yes, I've dealt with this attitude. He was quickly an unemployed guy.)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Dudeguy posted:

"I'm a network guy, not a storage guy!"

(Yes, I've dealt with this attitude. He was quickly an unemployed guy.)
Unfortunately, he's confident he can deal with these sort of things but he's shown repeatedly that we should not trust him.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Confidence is a great tool..in the right hands

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Unfortunately, he's confident he can deal with these sort of things but he's shown repeatedly that we should not trust him.

Dunning Kruger strikes again.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

Confidence is a great tool..in the right hands

I once had a boss ask me which was worse: a lazy smart person, or a hardworking, dedicated moron. Most people get it wrong on the first guess.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Lazy smart people make the best automation tools

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know I've automated several things to take 10% of the normal time because I don't want to spend two-3 hours on a repetitive task.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I asked my boss a simple Yes/No question. "Do you want me to come in early tomorrow to complete %URGENTtask% before %meeting% because my work start time is the same meeting.

He responded that I can, I should not have to, then went on some half hour diatribe about how I need to collaborate better, and focus, and communicate better.
Communicate better? Motherfucker, I just asked you a simple yes or no question and you took a half answer to give me a non-answer.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Sounds like your boss didn't want a question at all, but rather an answer of "hey boss I'll be in early tomorrow to do $urgent_task before $meeting."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I asked my boss a simple Yes/No question. "Do you want me to come in early tomorrow to complete %URGENTtask% before %meeting% because my work start time is the same meeting.

He responded that I can, I should not have to, then went on some half hour diatribe about how I need to collaborate better, and focus, and communicate better.
Communicate better? Motherfucker, I just asked you a simple yes or no question and you took a half answer to give me a non-answer.
Charlie, why isn't it done already?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sepist posted:

And hardworking dedicated morons produce lots of low-quality work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Sounds like your boss didn't want a question at all, but rather an answer of "hey boss I'll be in early tomorrow to do $urgent_task before $meeting."

I did, and got a face full of poo poo for coming in early.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Dell shipped us the new OptiPlex 3040s with Windows 10 on them and I can't get Windows 7 to install on them. The Win7 installer doesn't see the drive because it needs drivers installed but the ones provided by Dell do not work (the installer errors out after you select the driver). I moved the drive to a different chassis, got Win7 installed and bootable on the drive, moved it back to the OptiPlex 3040, and it doesn't see the drive at all. I've asked our Dell rep about this and she hasn't gotten back to me, but Windows 10 on these machines is completely worthless to us. I loving hate wrestling with this kind of poo poo.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

scuz posted:

Dell shipped us the new OptiPlex 3040s with Windows 10 on them and I can't get Windows 7 to install on them. The Win7 installer doesn't see the drive because it needs drivers installed but the ones provided by Dell do not work (the installer errors out after you select the driver). I moved the drive to a different chassis, got Win7 installed and bootable on the drive, moved it back to the OptiPlex 3040, and it doesn't see the drive at all. I've asked our Dell rep about this and she hasn't gotten back to me, but Windows 10 on these machines is completely worthless to us. I loving hate wrestling with this kind of poo poo.
Change it in the BIOS from like RAID to AHCI or something? Turn off secure boot?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

Change it in the BIOS from like RAID to AHCI or something? Turn off secure boot?

SATA operating mode has two options: disabled or AHCI, neither of which work, secure boot is off. I'm on the phone with Dell and they dunno what's going on either. gently caress.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I did, and got a face full of poo poo for coming in early.

Sounding like they're doing everything to say "we want you to be a clock-puncher, initiative and ownership are not welcome here" without just coming right out and saying it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Che Delilas posted:

Sounding like they're doing everything to say "we want you to be a clock-puncher, initiative and ownership are not welcome here" without just coming right out and saying it.

Dude are you spying on me?
I literally just talked to him about this and his exact words were "we don't want you to just come in, and punch the clock..."

Everything is mixed signals. "I need this done ASAP. But don't do it right now. Day is over? I want you to finish this before you come in tomorrow, but don't stay late, or come in early, or work on it at home."

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 9, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

scuz posted:

SATA operating mode has two options: disabled or AHCI, neither of which work, secure boot is off. I'm on the phone with Dell and they dunno what's going on either. gently caress.

We were having the same problem when I started here, I'm not sure how they fixed it. We even requested Windows 7. I know it sounds conspiracy-ey, but I think Microsoft might be encouraging manufacturers to "accidentally" send out Windows 10 machines regardless of what is ordered.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

scuz posted:

I've never setup a 3040, but this is what I did in the BIOS Setup to get Win7 to install on newer Dell machines: Go to Secure Boot and set it to disabled, Then General > Advanced Boot Options and check "Enable Legacy Option ROMs", Save and reboot, enter Bios Setup again and change the Boot Sequence from UEFI to Legacy. That works for the OptiPlex 7040 and 9020, as well as the new Latitudes.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips, but I tried all that already. I tried it again during a 45 minute support call with Dell talking with a lady who muttered "what's 'integrated NIC?'" She couldn't solve it, I've stopped trying, so they're sending out a dude with a new motherboard! If it works, they get to do it NINE MORE TIMES!

:jiggled::smithicide:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Ouch. That makes me happy that we decided to move to Windows 10 starting this semester. Any new machines that do not absolutely need 7 go to 10, and I spent the summer upgrading a bunch of labs.

My boss doesn't want a repeat of XP, which we still haven't completely gotten rid of. We only have a few XP machines left, and they're kinda useless because they can no longer connect to SMB or Exchange. Those people just don't want to give them up, and have enough political clout to override IT policies. The worst part? They only use those PCs to run the VMware horizon view client, which connects them to a Windows 7 VM. But even that's going to stop working for them with the next VMware Horizon update...

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

scuz posted:

We did a lab or two full of 5040's earlier this year with Win7:

- Grab NTLite, a stock W7 ISO, Dell's WinPE .CAB, and the W7 driver .CAB from Dell's site for the 3040.
- Extract ISO (ideally to an SSD) and the two .CAB's all to individual folders.
- Load extracted ISO folder in NTLite.
- Load the W7 boot setup .WIM and slipstream the Dell WinPE drivers.
- Load the main W7 .WIM and slipstream the Dell 3040 drivers.
- Create new ISO.
- Throw on USB drive with your choice of ISO install burner, I recommend Rufus.

Install with that drive and let driver catalog magic happen. Do NOT under any circumstance run any of the Intel USB 3 installers manually, they will brick your USB ports until you reinstall.

If you still have issues PM me and I can throw up a pre-slipstreamed ISO somewhere.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

Rudimentary ones, maybe. You wouldn't believe the stupid bullshit I've seen running production systems from lazy smart people.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Everything is mixed signals. "I need this done ASAP. But don't do it right now. Day is over? I want you to finish this before you come in tomorrow, but don't stay late, or come in early, or work on it at home."

This is the kind of garbage that makes me completely disengage, because nothing I do will be right. Everything turns into, "how can I solve this problem in a way that will look the best on my resume/help move my career in a direction I want to go?" while I look for a new job. Takes twice as long to do a task but you learn something you want to learn? gently caress urgency, gently caress downtime, gently caress customer complaints. I'm going to get bitched at anyway so I might as well get something out of it.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 1, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You may be better off asking in https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2430375 - it's not limited to just Cisco chat.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Chickenwalker posted:

Can anyone recommend a good core switch and router combo that's not some insane chassis deal that's going to cost 8 billion dollars? I've been getting by for about a year and a half with Ubiquiti gear. Their "Pro" router has served me well in terms of being able to easily configure some more complex networking setups. Today our "core" switch (which is really just their biggest managed POE switch) crapped the bed and decided it didn't recognize 24 of its 48 ports. I managed to get the son of a bitch back up and working again, but I'm starting to sweat here considering how bad their support is and the general crapiness of their build quality.

I've used Dell a lot for our media stuff and been pleased with their reliability, mostly Force10 S60, S4810, and PowerConnect N3048. Can anyone speak to their experience with them? I'd like to make sure all of the switches have at least 1-2x 10gig optical ports. Any recommendations for a good, configurable router with about 6-8x 1000-BaseT ports that actually get a full gig?
Do you have a budget?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

adorai posted:

Do you have a budget?

He's using Ubiquiti gear. He obviously has a budget in the low 4 figures while somehow still expecting that the equipment runs at line rate. Which makes sense, because Ubiquiti gear actually does run near line rate.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

He's using Ubiquiti gear. He obviously has a budget in the low 4 figures while somehow still expecting that the equipment runs at line rate. Which makes sense, because Ubiquiti gear actually does run near line rate.
I use some ubiquiti gear*, but I have a real budget. I just don't blow it when I don't need to.

*edgerouters for branch security appliances, instead of ASAs, Unifi for client wireless, nanostations for ptp links.

edit: I mean, my core switches are a pair of nexus 5548UP switches and I use VyOS for my core routing. I am definitely frugal.

adorai fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 11, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Ubiquiti gear is amazing and better than drat near every other enterprise networking gear.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Ubiquiti gear is amazing and better than drat near every other enterprise networking gear.
It is amazing and it does beat out some enterprise kit, but the support is limited.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

scuz posted:

If it has the new Skylake chipset you're in for a lot of hacky workarounds. Skylake shuts down USB 2.0 ports to prevent you from installing Windows 7, basically. Plus the disks don't tend to come with 3.0 drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

adorai posted:

It is amazing and it does beat out some enterprise kit, but the support is limited.

Running Ubiquiti and Mikrotik kit requires you to take some of the many thousands that you saved over purchasing something else and have at least one spare sitting around ready to go, and requires a time investment to fully test new software releases to ensure that they haven't horribly broken a feature that you rely on without mentioning it in the release notes. You will likely still come out ahead, and I'd argue that running less well supported gear with a team of people who know it intimately, vs. running 'best practises' Cisco equipment with a team of people who cost you less because they only know how open TAC cases is a better position to get yourself into.