Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i think LPers getting real jobs is a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Putty posted:

i think LPers getting real jobs is a good thing

Is there a list of real jobs so I know what to apply for and what to avoid?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Unfunny Poster posted:

Is it fun and enjoyable? gently caress you, do something miserable like me.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I have no survey, and it makes me sad, because I like stupid surveys.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Apparently that de-monetization thing has been a thing for months and they just now decided to tell people. It also appears to be mainly based on tags.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

watho posted:

Apparently that de-monetization thing has been a thing for months and they just now decided to tell people. It also appears to be mainly based on tags.

It's apparently even hitting Pewdiepie.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

watho posted:

The main gripe I've seen is, as usual, YouTube's automated system and lack of awareness on how bad they are at setting up automated systems like this hit people with a ton of false positive etc. which YouTube won't admit is a flaw in how they do things.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Don't take it as me defending google, I'm just saying that this is not the death sentence of making youtube videos for a living that people make it out to be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, it's not a death sentence, it's just the first step of a much longer and drawn-out death sentence.

edit: vvv :downsrim:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 9, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

That's capitalism for you!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

watho posted:

Don't take it as me defending google, I'm just saying that this is not the death sentence of making youtube videos for a living that people make it out to be.

Oh yeah nobody sane thinks that its the death sentence. It's just YouTube using an algorithm with no notice and heads up to the content creators who, whether they like it or not, are the reason they make money. Which is both annoying and dumb of YouTube to do (again).

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 9, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Do you have to wear a uniform and kiss a bunch of ungrateful prick's asses? Then its a real job

watho posted:

Based on tags? So I could just not tag my videos as "Trump" or "Sex" and not get hit?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

Do you have to wear a uniform and kiss a bunch of ungrateful prick's asses? Then its a real job

Based on tags? So I could just not tag my videos as "Trump" or "Sex" and not get hit?

Potentially. I got hit on one that had 'loving' in the title so don't put it in the title either. Most of the problem comes from, like someone else said, the fact that it's all done by a computer and therefore it has no situational awareness. Videos speaking against depression and suicide are getting hit because they have 'suicide' as a tag, and that's just a small example.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Maybe it's working perfectly well and advertisers don't want depressing stuff either.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Advertisers can eat poo poo :shrug:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CJacobs posted:

Advertisers can eat poo poo :shrug:

Deserves to be up in bold print on a billboard in this case, talking about and trying to spread awareness or lend support to issues of depression and suicide shouldn't be something you start doling out punishments for, jesus christ.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Potentially. I got hit on one that had 'loving' in the title so don't put it in the title either. Most of the problem comes from, like someone else said, the fact that it's all done by a computer and therefore it has no situational awareness. Videos speaking against depression and suicide are getting hit because they have 'suicide' as a tag, and that's just a small example.

Honestly, I am kind of surprised that not only is it easy enough to bypass by not using....trigger words :iamafag: you can get the money youtube is going to pocket themselves. That is how it works right? If you get your monetization revoked youtube is still going to throw ads on your video and just pockets all the money right?

Also I'm pretty surprised they didn't just expand their content id system to automatically flag videos where the program hears swear words and other such things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

That is how it works right? If you get your monetization revoked youtube is still going to throw ads on your video and just pockets all the money right?

That's what happened to mine, yes.

Yardbomb posted:

Deserves to be up in bold print on a billboard in this case, talking about and trying to spread awareness or lend support to issues of depression and suicide shouldn't be something you start doling out punishments for, jesus christ.

Exactly. It's an inexcusably bad system. It's as if no thought was put into the consequences of it whatsoever.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

If you get your monetization revoked youtube is still going to throw ads on your video and just pockets all the money right?

Yes. Their Content ID system is also just as dubious. For example Jim Sterling's Jimquisition videos he puts up ad free and they fall under fair use, but when someone puts a content ID claim on say a portion of a clip from a trailer for a game (like Konami has) he uses as visual aid, the video gets ads put onto it but he has no benefit. So he worked out a clever system to screw with people who do that, put a bunch of different content from various people who do the content id claim stuff which makes it so there's multiple content id claims and nobody gets ad revenue for it.

Here's the vid he did explaining it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK8i6aMG9VM

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tKuWHQcnt0

I have a video of a livestream I did that got 24 copyright claims on it. The video has made less than one dollar in ad revenue, meaning these people have made 4 cents on it. :downs:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 10, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

That's what happened to mine, yes.

Thats what makes it really scummy. "Our advertisers don't like this content, now excuse us while our advertisers advertise on your video as we pocket all the money"

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tKuWHQcnt0

I have a video of a livestream I did that got 24 copyright claims on it. The video has made less than one dollar in ad revenue, meaning these people have made 4 cents on it. :downs:

I'm sure they're just taking the scheme from Office Space, sure on your video its 4 cents but you add a couple thousand other videos and those 4 pennies start adding up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
YouTube revealed a new thing called YouTube Heroes. It's all kinds of awful.

Reveal video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh_1966vaIA

TechCrunch posted:

Heroes will have their own online dashboard to work from, and will be able to take part in “Hero hangouts” at times, the video says. At higher levels, they’ll be able to sneak peeks at new products or even test them out for themselves, as well as contact YouTube staff directly.

TechCrunch article - https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/21/youtube-enlists-volunteers-to-moderate-its-site-via-a-new-youtube-heroes-program/

Basically you sign up as a volunteer and then flag and report videos etc. and moderate their site. You know, the sort of thing that you don't want a bunch of random people being able to do because history has shown these sort of things end up poorly. Oh and, one of the tiers you can get to by doing it enough, is to be able to talk directly with YouTube. A thing content creators complain they can't even do despite bringing in millions of views.

Nerd3's video on it and how to fix it in his view - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NxrW-JDQNg

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"mass flag videos" lmao

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think what's most weird about that is that Google is reaching out to human beings as opposed to just trusting in their all-mighty malevolent AI algorithms.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think what's most weird about that is that Google is reaching out to human beings as opposed to just trusting in their all-mighty malevolent AI algorithms.
I once knew a person who worked as a deep learning spam analysis algorithm. She'd read through thousands of reported spam letters every day and select unique texts strings that would allow the machine to filter that type of letter consistently.

Google's just found a way to do something of that sort even cheaper.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Hopefully this devolves into a full on moderation war, with popular youtubers mobilizing armies of hundreds of thousands of subscribing heroes to tear each other down. :munch:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Can't wait to become a HERO spending my day flagging videos!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jim Sterling did a video on it as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1F7yURZYA

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I took a look at the information page for the program earlier today, and it looks like it has the potential to be much better than it sounds. Users flagging videos won't be the instant action that copyright flags are, but will put the flagged items into a queue to be evaluated by 24/7 Google employees. Only validated reports gain points, while users can lose their Hero accounts (and possibly their Youtube accounts) for abusing the system. True, it's technically unpaid labor, but not even Google has enough money to pay enough people to cover all of the content on Youtube. This system will help the paid employees focus on likely violations while rewarding the community at large in a non-monetary way. There are probably better ways to do this, but it's probably not as bad as it looks.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
I know this isn't HEROS chat, but NorthernLion's Rimworld playthrough right now is making me want to tear my hair out.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'm a bit behind on that series, but watching him fail to learn anything at all is the entire reason I follow NothernLion.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

senrath posted:

I'm a bit behind on that series, but watching him fail to learn anything at all is the entire reason I follow NothernLion.

Except for Isaac, this is also true for me. I am 100% in the KEEP THE STREAK GOING EGG crowd. But god drat dude he has had his southern wind turbine not even hooked to his power grid and he's complaining about power problems and oh lordy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

Except for Isaac, this is also true for me. I am 100% in the KEEP THE STREAK GOING EGG crowd. But god drat dude he has had his southern wind turbine not even hooked to his power grid and he's complaining about power problems and oh lordy

There's a reason he and Arumba do joint videos and stuff, they're basically the same person when it comes to playing any game but the one they became popular playing. They are so focused on talking at all times to avoid dead air that it distracts them from actually doing anything well - all of that complaining is the reason they have anything to complain about in the first place, basically.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Jazerus posted:

There's a reason he and Arumba do joint videos and stuff, they're basically the same person when it comes to playing any game but the one they became popular playing. They are so focused on talking at all times to avoid dead air that it distracts them from actually doing anything well - all of that complaining is the reason they have anything to complain about in the first place, basically.

True. It bums me out that people talk poo poo about NL's Isaac skills in his comments, cause honestly he is really good. Best streak I ever got was a 25er, dude's best was 150. He's no Cobalt, but still, he's able to keep consistently speaking his train-of-thoughts and it's super entertaining while still playing real good. Dude is awful at Rimworld though and I wish I could save him from himself.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Do Arumba and NL do anything anymore? I thought there was some (really minor) ~Youtube drama~ on Arumba's streams about how NL didn't do videos with him anymore, and I haven't seen him on Arumba's channel for a while.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
im just imagining the hero hangout as a treehouse with "no girls allowed" pasted on the side

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I saw someone on twitter refer to it as youtube's Hall Monitor Club.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jazerus posted:

Oh man, Arumba. I remember when he tried to play EVE and lost his poo poo because he couldn't handle people commenting on what he was doing in chat and explaining to others what he was doing was wrong and how. It was pretty funny, as was his inability to lead his group of nerds who joined his space group and his utter contempt for them.

Also Sips from Yogscast is playing Aven Colony (city builder in spaaaaaace) and it's pretty good so far. He's probably the only consistent YouTuber I'll watch nowadays.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
I never really looked at any of the Yogscast stuff.

But other than NL I don't really watch any other content creator consistently, except for SGF and the Game Informer SUPER REPLAY crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoy Sips, he's got a good mix of self-depricating humor and off the wall commentary. Plus he's also really good at doing roleplaying and using that to help explain his choices in a game, even if they're insanely bad choices to make but somehow always work out for him.

He's also really good at trolling people from the Yogscast during their recording sessions. This is an old vid but from one of the livestreams Lewis (head dude at Yogscast) tried to do of Heroes of Might & Magic 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iScd030uJ0 (Sips is the guy with the North American accent)

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 23, 2016

• Locked thread