Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Digirat posted:

Holy poo poo 2142 is coming on the 23rd. I think my disc is still around. I'm ready. I'm fuckin ready

I think if you have the code you can even put the game up in your Origin account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I've played plenty of Battlefield and Call of Duty with goons, and the CoD community is much more kindhearted and inclusive. They like to joke and have their fun, but in a way that's more socially acceptable I guess.

I've never thought 'Wow, this guy sounds like he has really dark things in his life and he's probably going to hurt a lot of people" about any of the goons I've played CoD with, but some of BF4's LLJK crew... Yikes.

"I keep saying I hate this game and won't buy it and won't stop complaining about stupid poo poo"

*reads the thread religiously*

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Digirat posted:

Holy poo poo 2142 is coming on the 23rd. I think my disc is still around. I'm ready. I'm fuckin ready

They`ll likely release a free package of the game to download like they did with BF2. I`ve only ever played the demo of 2142 so I think I`ll give it a shot.

moist turtleneck posted:

"I keep saying I hate this game and won't buy it and won't stop complaining about stupid poo poo"

He`s a boilerplate narcissist, dude.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnlA2rCHJHY

How is this game already this old

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
bf2142 was my fav battlefield around the time of its release but i sort of doubt it has held up all that well. it would be fun to revisit tho, those mechs were great fun

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Loved fighting in a Titan.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Medic was absolutely ridiculous in that game. Amazing weapons and the airburst grenade launcher that very few people understood how to use.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you played on texas teamplayers basically everyone knew how to use it and it was overpowered as hell, as was the voss (so guess what basically every player on that server ran with as medic).

Being a special snowflake, I used the bauer with the shotgun attachment to be cool and different

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

404notfound posted:

FYI there's a survey about the beta: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9YFYK3Y

If you feel strongly about Conquest/Medic heals and revives/The lack of support in Support vent your spleen with this, It's quite a survey.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Digirat posted:

If you played on texas teamplayers basically everyone knew how to use it and it was overpowered as hell, as was the voss (so guess what basically every player on that server ran with as medic).

Being a special snowflake, I used the bauer with the shotgun attachment to be cool and different

Baur was my main gun for most of the time I spent playing that game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

moist turtleneck posted:

He's an incredibly obvious and low effort troll and I can't believe people are still falling for this kind of poo poo in 2016.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That's what I thought and then I read his posts and I think he's foreal

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I got some Osprey books here if anyone wants, I can scan and post images of some of the Italian and Austrian soldiers now.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SeanBeansShako posted:

If you feel strongly about Conquest/Medic heals and revives/The lack of support in Support vent your spleen with this, It's quite a survey.

I filled it out. Too bad we can't see the current results. :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I filled it out. Too bad we can't see the current results. :(

It'd be interesting in the future if theu do show us.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think if you have the code you can even put the game up in your Origin account.

I had trouble getting the game to work a few years ago, so a support dude added the Deluxe version to my Origin account.

404notfound posted:

FYI there's a survey about the beta: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9YFYK3Y

Rush:

quote:

I understood that artillery targets only spotted enemies.
That was not made clear at all. The whole artillery thing in rush was not explained well at all.

I gave a ton of feedback. I hope they really do take it into account.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

That was not made clear at all. The whole artillery thing in rush was not explained well at all.

I gave a ton of feedback. I hope they really do take it into account.

Same. While I only played a few rounds of Rush, I had no idea there was an artillery feature or even have to use it. I almost felt like that was a trick question to catch if you even played the mode or were paying attention, sort of the like "Do you think kills affect conquest team tickets?" question.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alpha/Beta thoughts:

Classes:
Assault: SMGs are ok. Seems focused on getting in close and murderizing there. AT Rifle is fantastic for telling tanks to gently caress off, AT grenades if you prefer less stand-offish stuff, generally pretty well balanced. Shotgun is amazing.
Medic: Guns are alright. Seems focused on mid-range. Knowing when you can revive someone is non-existant, leading to you either flailing around eating bullets trying and failing to revive, or, more likely, simply ignoring dead people entirely because you'd prefer to remain alive. British ones have baller turbans.
Support: Why is this even here? Terrible guns, no gadget except for mostly underwhelming tripwire bombs and the ammo packs. Eats sniper bullets like it's their job, can't shoot straight, best defense against vehicles is to run away so fast that they magically respawn as a useful class.
Scout: SNIPERS BRO. SNIPERS. 360 NO SCOPE HEADSHOT BRO. LOOK AT MY KDR BRO. I'M SO SICK. THIS IS SOME ENEMY AT THE GATES poo poo BRO. I AM SO BADASS. EVERYONE LOVES ME. WHAT IS OBJECTIVES BRO? LOL THAT'S GAY BRO THAT'S GAY LOOK AT MY KDR BRO. The unscoped K98 is cool, K bullets are decent for annoying vehicles, flare gun stuff seems wildly inconsistent and mostly unexplained.

Vehicles:
Light Tank: ridiculous and cute. Turret traverse is insanely fast, overall speed is good. Canister is incredible. Basically, if you can pay basic attention to poo poo, you are most likely capable of solo war crimes. Probably needs a few nerfs.
Heavy Tank: The Mark V looks cool and sounds cool and is cool and a fully crewed one is dangerous as gently caress. Slow, doesn't have 360 degree coverage like the FT-17, and thus is mortal, but poo poo is it terrifying and wonderful.
Landship: Looks like a box. A box filled with guns and anger and bullets and murder. Big, slow, vulnerable, scary, and wonderful.
Arty Truck: MAKE BIG loving BOOMS. Not a straight up brawler, but it's fantastic fun to gently caress around with.
Bomber: Slow, bombs are effective, nosegun is incredible, tailgun seems to be largely irrelevant and thus you will die the second any other plane looks at you funny.
Attack Plane: variants are good, cannon variant is hilarious in the right hands (i.e., not mine), tailgun is still kinda poo poo.
Fighter: is good at what it's made for.
Horse: IS A HORSE. Saber. Best rifle/class in the game. IS HORSE. Trample motherfuckers to death. Best class. Health and ammo on the same class. A loving HORSE GOD DAMMIT.
Train: Is a train. Kinda seems mostly an annoyance, and is easily avoided. Deadly as gently caress, but can only really affect three points and is easy enough to hide from. Mobile spawn usage is nice but not as effective as the zeppelin.
Zeppelin (from the alpha map): big, awesome, blows up real good, generally seems to suck up all the idiot wookiees who sit up there all game and ineffectually fire its guns instead of ineffectually firing their sniper rifle. Can be driven around the map, which is awesome, and thus used as a mobile spawn more effectively than the train.

Long story short, mostly it's not terrible. I mean, wookiees are always bad, and Support has lovely guns and no gadgets and isn't terribly useful... but yeah. It's not bad.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 9, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gonkish posted:

Support: Why is this even here? Terrible guns, no gadget except for mostly underwhelming tripwire bombs and the ammo packs. Eats sniper bullets like it's their job, can't shoot straight, best defense against vehicles is to run away so fast that they magically respawn as a useful class.
Smdh if you don`t take light anti-tank grenades and ammo packs for unlimited AV spam.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gonkish posted:

Scout: SNIPERS BRO. SNIPERS. 360 NO SCOPE HEADSHOT BRO. LOOK AT MY KDR BRO. I'M SO SICK. THIS IS SOME ENEMY AT THE GATES poo poo BRO. I AM SO BADASS. EVERYONE LOVES ME. WHAT IS OBJECTIVES BRO? LOL THAT'S GAY BRO THAT'S GAY LOOK AT MY KDR BRO. The unscoped K98 is cool, K bullets are decent for annoying vehicles, flare gun stuff seems wildly inconsistent and mostly unexplained.

Scout could be good for urban settings or anything with a lot of cover, since the flare gun will mark through walls. But the problem is it only does minimap markers, not the overhead markers or the 3D marking (why does this game have three different ways to spot enemies?), and you only get two of them, and even when unscoped, a bolt-action is not great for close-range engagements.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Mordja posted:

Smdh if you don`t take light anti-tank grenades and ammo packs for unlimited AV spam.

That's not going to exist beyond this beta.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

New Concept Hole posted:

That's not going to exist beyond this beta.

:sigh: I know.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

K8.0 posted:

He's an incredibly obvious and low effort troll and I can't believe people are still falling for this kind of poo poo in 2016.

I'm not trolling; the emblem should be changed. A public group update apologizing to the BF4 community for it wouldn't hurt, either.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JFC posted:

A guy on Reddit got some great in-game screenshots using Hattiwatti's Cinematic Tools for freecam.

http://imgur.com/a/NCFxp

Sick.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'm not trolling; the emblem should be changed. A public group update apologizing to the BF4 community for it wouldn't hurt, either.

Okay K8 sorry yeah he's trolling

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
WWI Chat :

https://books.google.co.nz/books/about/An_Awfully_Big_Adventure.html?id=CN3wkgEACAAJ I have this book at home, it's basically a bunch of excerpts from old interviews done with kiwi wwi vets, and it is loving grim as gently caress. You start out thinking, wow that's a cheery titile for a book about a world war. Then the author explains that that was some Peter Pan reference to dying, and is a perfect foreshadowing of what you're in for.

It's a pretty apt title, as the passages start of with the guys as fresh recruits, heading over to egypt for training, seeing the pyramids and stuff. All pretty good. The Aussies get wasted and basically cause a riot in a brothel cos a bunch of them got VD. I think a bouncer got thrown through an upstairs window, but it's all a bit of fun. By the time you hit the middle of the book it's loving first hand accounts of digging trenches in a hellscape of mud and decomposing corpses, or seeing poo poo like a dude cut his own throat with a bayonet because he's hurt so badly. It gets so dark and depressing I could only read small bits at a time.
It paints a picture of these dudes everyday lives, which was so hellish that it's seriously almost impossible to imagine, it's so completely insane. So uh, I guess read this book :smith:

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

WWI Chat :

https://books.google.co.nz/books/about/An_Awfully_Big_Adventure.html?id=CN3wkgEACAAJ I have this book at home, it's basically a bunch of excerpts from old interviews done with kiwi wwi vets, and it is loving grim as gently caress. You start out thinking, wow that's a cheery titile for a book about a world war. Then the author explains that that was some Peter Pan reference to dying, and is a perfect foreshadowing of what you're in for.

It's a pretty apt title, as the passages start of with the guys as fresh recruits, heading over to egypt for training, seeing the pyramids and stuff. All pretty good. The Aussies get wasted and basically cause a riot in a brothel cos a bunch of them got VD. I think a bouncer got thrown through an upstairs window, but it's all a bit of fun. By the time you hit the middle of the book it's loving first hand accounts of digging trenches in a hellscape of mud and decomposing corpses, or seeing poo poo like a dude cut his own throat with a bayonet because he's hurt so badly. It gets so dark and depressing I could only read small bits at a time.
It paints a picture of these dudes everyday lives, which was so hellish that it's seriously almost impossible to imagine, it's so completely insane. So uh, I guess read this book :smith:

I really care about who died on what stupid hill a century ago.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Actually, Beneath Hill 60 is a cool and good movie.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Alright, I've come up with a solution:

I will use the emblem editor to create a new emblem for the Platoon. No tricks, nothing edgy, just something creative that everyone can get around. Does that sound good?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lumpy: I think having a l serial rapist as a logo for the community is bad.

Mentally Unstable Battlefield Goons: gently caress you, you are a bitch, you are trolling, lol Cosby is hilarious. YOSPOS is epic!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The new emblem is coming along nicely so far. I hope I don't run out of layers, though.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Inkel posted:

I had no idea there was an artillery feature or even have to use it.

I set the mcom to call in artillery a few times as a defender, but it didn't seem to do anything. And as an attacker, I never noticed getting shelled on... so I did wonder if it's just a spotting mechanism.

Gonkish posted:

Train: Is a train. Kinda seems mostly an annoyance, and is easily avoided. Deadly as gently caress, but can only really affect three points and is easy enough to hide from. Mobile spawn usage is nice but not as effective as the zeppelin.

Mobile spawn? If I didn't get a seat when it spawned, it was constantly full. Nobody was using it as a spawn point it seemed, just wanted to shoot big bang bangs.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Mobile spawn? If I didn't get a seat when it spawned, it was constantly full. Nobody was using it as a spawn point it seemed, just wanted to shoot big bang bangs.

Can confirm, when my team is losing badly enough that we get the train, I see it as a consolation prize to just sit in there for the rest of the match and blow dudes up. If they wanted it to be a mobile spawn, they shouldn't have given every seat a sweet gun

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now we're back on track, somebody has been mining text files on the BF1 Reddit and they've got a full weapon and gadget list for the current build of the game:

quote:

hotguns

Automatic 5 Factory

Automatic 5 Light Infantry

Automatic 5 Hunter

Automatic 5 Special

M97 Trench Gun Factory

M97 Trench Gun Hunter

M97 Trench Gun Light Infantry

M97 Trench Gun Assault

Model 10-A Factory

Model 10-A Hunter

Model 10-A Heavy

Model 10-A Assault

Model 1900

Sjögren Inertial Factory

Sjögren Inertial Light Infantry

Sjögren Inertial Hunter

Submachine Guns

Automatico M1918 Factory

Automatico M1918 Experimental

Automatico M1918 Light Infantry

Automatico M1918 Trench

Hellriegel 1915 Factory

Hellriegel 1915 Artillery

MP 18 Factory

MP 18 Artillery

MP 18 Experimental

MP 18 Light Infantry

MP 18 Trench

Self-Loading Rifles

Cei-Rigotti Factory

Cei-Rigotti Artillery

Cei-Rigotti Light Infantry

Cei-Rigotti Trench

M1907 SL Factory

M1907 SL Automatic

M1907 SL Extended Magazine

M1907 SL Trench

Model 8 .35 Factory

Model 8 .35 Sharpshooter

Model 8 .25 Special

Mondragon Factory

Mondragon Marksman

Mondragon Artillery

Mondragon Sharpshooter

Mondragon Light Infantry

Selbstlader 1906 Factory

Selbstlader 1906 Artillery

Selbstlader 1906 Sharpshooter

Selbstlader M1916 Factory

Selbstlader M1916 Extended Magazine

Selbstlader M1916 Artillery

Selbstlader M1916 Sharpshooter

Machine Guns

BAR M1918 Low Weight

BAR M1918 Gunner

BAR M1918 Light Infantry

BAR M1918 Trench

Huot Automatic Low Weight

Huot Automatic Artillery

Lewis Gun Low Weight

Lewis Gun Extended Magazine

Lewis Gun Artillery

Lewis Gun Suppressor

M1909 Benét-Mercié Low Weight

M1909 Benét-Mercié Gunner

M1909 Benét-Mercié Artillery

M1909 Benét-Mercié Light Infantry

Madsen MG Low Weight

Madsen MG Extended Magazine

Madsen MG Light Infantry

Madsen MG Trench

MG15 n.A. Low Weight

MG15 n.A. Marksman

MG15 n.A. Light Infantry

MG15 n.A. Suppressor

Repeating Rifles

Gewehr M.95 Rifleman

Gewehr M.95 Marksman

Gewehr M.95 Carbine

Gewehr M.95 Sharpshooter

Gewehr 98 Rifleman

Gewehr 98 Marksman

Gewehr 98 Carbine

Gewehr 98 Sharpshooter

M1903 Rifleman

M1903 Sharpshooter

M1903 Marksman

M1903 Experimental

Martini-Henry Rifleman

Martini-Henry Marksman

Russian 1895 Rifleman

Russian 1895 Marksman

Russian 1895 Sharpshooter

Russian 1895 Trench

SMLE MKIII Rifleman

SMLE MKIII Marksman

SMLE MKIII Carbine

SMLE MKIII Sharpshooter

Pistol Carbines

C93 Carbine

C96 Carbine

Frommer Stop Auto

M1911 Special

P08 Artillerie

Pieper M1893

Sawed Off Shotgun

Pistols

1903 Hammerless

Automatic Revolver .38

Automatic Revolver .455

Bodeo 1889

Bull Dog Revolver

C93

C96

C96 Export

C96 Extended Magazine

Frommer Stop

Gasser M1870

Howdah Pistol

Kolibri Pistol

M1911

M1911 Silencer

Mars Automatic

Mle 1903

Modello 1915

No. 3 Revolver

P08 Pistol

Reichs M1883 Revolver

Repetierpistole M.12

Taschenpistole M1914

Heavy Weapons

Wex

MG 08/15

Tankgewehr M1918

Unknown

Villar Perosa

One of the first two pistols I believe is the WW1 era Webley pistol. One of the gadgets as well is a speed loader for revolver style pistols!

Also, the BBC put a pretty neat documentary about the first time tanks were used in WW1 following some of the men who even crewed them. A nice person put the video on YouTube for those outside the iPlayer sphere. Enjoy!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sup

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Hellriegel is a really weird gun.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Bit the bullet and pre ordered. :dice: won't screw me with a wonky release again, right?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I assume the experimental springfield is going to be the Pedersen device.

I hope you can slamfire the 1897.

Also it seems like they may really be sticking with the no attachments thing? I'll be very happy if that's the case.

There is a rumor that BF1 will not allow servers with modified ticket counts or spawn times. I'll be super loving happy if that's the case, that poo poo is cancer.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 12, 2016

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

KM Scorchio posted:

Bit the bullet and pre ordered. :dice: won't screw me with a wonky release again, right?

LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is the game going to get really weird with bunch non sensical attachments despite modular customization not really being a thing until 21st century?