Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
When I bought out HUD, they were very adamant about NOTHING being done prior to closing. My first-time home buyers inspection failed the first time and almost derailed my financing because of a broken hand railing, but said railing miraculously fixed itself one day prior to a reinspection. Also, my realtor was the only helpful person in the whole process, and I never met the selling agent.

What I'm saying is, do never buy HUD unless you're willing to forego an inspection, because poo poo like this happens and HUD will absolutely stonewall you on resolving anything prior to closing. I feel like they'd sooner torch the house to the ground rather than help a prospective buyer do a proper inspection even with an accepted offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

PitViper posted:

When I bought out HUD, they were very adamant about NOTHING being done prior to closing. My first-time home buyers inspection failed the first time and almost derailed my financing because of a broken hand railing, but said railing miraculously fixed itself one day prior to a reinspection. Also, my realtor was the only helpful person in the whole process, and I never met the selling agent.

What I'm saying is, do never buy HUD unless you're willing to forego an inspection, because poo poo like this happens and HUD will absolutely stonewall you on resolving anything prior to closing. I feel like they'd sooner torch the house to the ground rather than help a prospective buyer do a proper inspection even with an accepted offer.

Good to know, this is what I pretty much figured because HUD

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
Can we talk about the decision to buy a house in cities where both house prices and rents are increasing at a stupid pace? I'm in Seattle, and while I can thankfully afford rent and will probably be able to for quite some time, I could probably also afford to buy a reasonable house in this place and throw a decent sized downpayment. I think like the idea of buying a house because...I can ensure I won't get priced out of a city I like? That's basically what I'm coming up with for pros right now.

A personal problem for me is now that I have a downpayment of the requisite size, I look at that downpaymet and realize how nice it is to have that cash. I could probably rent a decent apartment in many other fine cites in the US for years without having to work, and that's a nice feeling. I also feel sketched out about getting a mortgage for a house in Seattle because it's making a bet that I can continue making similar money for the next 30 years. That feels pretty ballsy even though I have a good job and my skills are in demand.

What do? Don't let rising rents scare me? Do never buy?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People who worry about getting priced out of the housing market usually wind up getting screwed when the bubble pops. Don't be one of those people. If your only reason to buy a house is "but what if prices and rents keep going up", then you probably shouldn't buy a house.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I bought a house in Seattle because I got tired of moving every year, and because it was the easiest way to live with the people I wanted to keep as my roommates. It's not like I was doing anything with the down payment money. Plus now I can drill holes in everything and also I live in a much nicer place than the "the front door won't latch if it's hotter than eighty degrees" rental I left.

But if your only reason to buy is based on anxious speculation about the market in the future you should probably not buy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Do you have a yard? Gardening is a fun thing and it's my favorite reason to own a house. I can plant whatever I want wherever I want (although most of my back yard is useless grass, I'm slowly expanding my garden)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

Do you have a yard? Gardening is a fun thing and it's my favorite reason to own a house. I can plant whatever I want wherever I want (although most of my back yard is useless grass, I'm slowly expanding my garden)

You can get a plot in a community garden for around $20 a year in almost any place. Why own when you can rent? Plus you get to see how everyone else is gardening and share a laugh at the guy that doesn't weed and all his plants are dead.

Edit: Plus they are full sun where my back yard I can only get 70% sun locations.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 9, 2016

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I'm going to disagree with the do never buys here. If you have a bunch of cash lying around and you think you will remain in the area for 5 years or more, then buying a house is not a terrible idea. Interest rates are low, so getting good returns on that cash is hard anyway, and the tax deduction will be nice.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Elephanthead posted:

You can get a plot in a community garden for around $20 a year in almost any place. Why own when you can rent? Plus you get to see how everyone else is gardening and share a laugh at the guy that doesn't weed and all his plants are dead.

Edit: Plus they are full sun where my back yard I can only get 70% sun locations.

Pests from the guy who doesn't weed, shared tools in poor repair, people "mistaking" the garden for a free farmers market and stealing your produce, having to go out of your way to get to the garden, etc. I have poor experiences with community gardens. As always, it's best to own so you can do whatever you want without having worry about someone else's bullshit.

I mean, I love them and work with community garden organizers all the time, but if you don't have dedicated people watching after everything they can go to poo poo. We have one garden a few towns over where a bunch of people have carpeted parts of their garden because they don't understand how to control erosion or drainage. Also loads of junk, muddy trenches, etc. all exacerbating the problem.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Bozart posted:

I'm going to disagree with the do never buys here. If you have a bunch of cash lying around and you think you will remain in the area for 5 years or more, then buying a house is not a terrible idea. Interest rates are low, so getting good returns on that cash is hard anyway, and the tax deduction will be nice.

Agreed.

That said, don't buy because you expect to make money, or because you think prices are going to go up uP UP! You're buying a house, not an investment. So only buy yourself a house if you plan to stay put for a while, like the idea of controlling your housing situation, and don't mind dealing with the headaches associated with home ownership.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 9, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Bozart posted:

This and people also don't often realize that as a renter inflation is loving you over, versus a homehowner with a fixed mortgage benefits from inflation.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

revmoo posted:

This and people also don't often realize that as a renter inflation is loving you over, versus a homehowner with a fixed mortgage benefits from inflation.

Inflation affects property taxes, utilities, cost of appliances, repairs, renovation...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Drunk Tomato posted:

Inflation affects property taxes, utilities, cost of appliances, repairs, renovation...

And? You're paying for those items indirectly as a renter to begin with.

The point isn't that inflation doesn't affect homeowners, it's that it affects them significantly less than renters.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I've owned a place for about three months. Clearly it was time for my first drain backup. Yay for it quite possibly being a tree root since my snake runs in to something solid about 18 feet down the pipe but water can still get through, just slowly since it takes about 2 minutes to back up.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bozart posted:

It's actually pretty easy to outperform inflation using mutual fund investments. As far as long-term investments go, the stock market is more likely to give you a higher return than buying a house.

But if you've got the down payment and the time, and you want to buy a house, then buying a house is a totally acceptable decision to make. "Do never buy" is directed at people who have come into this thread with big dreams about buying a house with 5% down and then flipping it a few years later because the market is just so hot right now, and also people who fail to budget for maintenance.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
Well, gently caress you guys. I was hoping to hear "hell naw don't buy that house!"

Really though, I would love to keep my same place for at least the next 5 years or until the job market in Seattle collapses or the city literally collapses when the subduction zone ruptures.

Does anyone have any experience or advice for offering your landlord money? If I can't end up buying the house I'm currently renting, I'm a lot less motivated to buy, but I feel like it's totally mandatory to try this. I assume getting a direct offer from your tenant is preferable because you don't need to pay 5% to your real estate agent, right?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

"Do never buy" is directed at people who have come into this thread with big dreams about buying a house with 5% down and then flipping it a few years later because the market is just so hot right now, and also people who fail to budget for maintenance.
I bought a house in 2015 and sold it in 2016 for 11% return after all fees and commissions and the worst thing that happened in maintenance was I had to pay $2k for a sump pump when I sold the house. Do not buy because this is probably not a good sign of a healthy housing market if a place with no freakin' jobs like Asheville, NC heats up that much for sellers.

Dreadite posted:

Does anyone have any experience or advice for offering your landlord money? If I can't end up buying the house I'm currently renting, I'm a lot less motivated to buy, but I feel like it's totally mandatory to try this. I assume getting a direct offer from your tenant is preferable because you don't need to pay 5% to your real estate agent, right?
You will probably want a buying agent as a first-time buyer, it's a fair bit of work to do the due diligence correctly. I skipped it on my first place to help negotiate on price and I got screwed a bit in the end because I didn't know all my rights when buying a condo that are different from buying a house.

If you represent yourself as a buyer, the landlord saves at least 3% in theory, but if he has a selling agent, that's about 3% spoken for. It's a lot easier as a seller to not use an agent if there's an offer though already on the table.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

I bought a house in 2015 and sold it in 2016 for 11% return after all fees and commissions and the worst thing that happened in maintenance was I had to pay $2k for a sump pump when I sold the house. Do not buy because this is probably not a good sign of a healthy housing market if a place with no freakin' jobs like Asheville, NC heats up that much for sellers.

Right, you can totally come out way further ahead than you expected on a house purchase. But you can also come out way behind. People tend to assume that a house purchase is a guaranteed financial win but it really, really isn't.

It'd be like using all of your money buying lotto tickets because sometimes people win the jackpot

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I just found a house with an air-conditioned garage.

Be still, my beating heart.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Right, you can totally come out way further ahead than you expected on a house purchase. But you can also come out way behind. People tend to assume that a house purchase is a guaranteed financial win but it really, really isn't.
Psst, I lost $35k+ of my down payment buying a house in 2007 and even with that 11% it's not enough to offset that loss completely :rant:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

necrobobsledder posted:

Psst, I lost $35k+ of my down payment buying a house in 2007 and even with that 11% it's not enough to offset that loss completely :rant:

2007, oof. That's rough timing.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

MrYenko posted:

I just found a house with an air-conditioned garage.

Be still, my beating heart.

Currently posting from my air-conditioned garage. It owns.

We got really lucky with our house. It's in a neighborhood where houses often sell for above asking within hours of going up for sale. Pretty much somebody has to die to get into certain blocks here. My mom was in foreclosure and I took over her mortgage. Went that route for about four years to get my credit up and then bought it. We ended up walking into 44k of equity (closing costs included) just from the four years we lived in the house. That's over 10k a year in appreciation. We'll drop PMI in a year. And the awesome thing about having already been in the place is that we've already done a lot of work to it. Brand new HE Trane furnace, new flooring in almost every room, paint, etc.

Of course, we'll never sell or get a HELOC so that money will just sit there forever. If our city heats up like SF then maybe we'll sell and move to the country. I'd basically either move if taxes priced us out or if I could fully fund our retirement by moving.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't think I've ever heard of an air conditioned garage around here before, but I'd imagine it's drat nice in the evenings in mosquito/humidity country.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of an air conditioned garage around here before, but I'd imagine it's drat nice in the evenings in mosquito/humidity country.
Its drat nice everywhere. Dripping sweat while standing under your car on your lift isn't cool. Minisplit ftw.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't even have a garage. Or A/C at all.

Home ownership really runs the gamut of options.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The garage is seriously why I bought a 250k house instead of a 130k house. I prefer to live further below my means than this, but I couldn't resist. Basically the previous owners pulled some strings and got permits to build this thing somehow. All the rest of the houses in the neighborhood have little detached one-car deals and then this thing is the same footprint of the house and occupies most of the backyard. I really would love to know how it got permitted. It's the sort of garage you'd see on a rural or farm property and it's stuck right in the middle of a city. I'm 10 minutes from downtown DURING rush hour.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

It'd be like using all of your money buying lotto tickets because sometimes people win the jackpot

I believe most house purchases would be very smart decisions if the occupants have the capacity and ability to keep the place in good condition and they didn't have to move for 20-30 years, but various pressures to move combined with the real estate cartel cause it to usually be a bad investment.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Specifically regarding Seattle's rental and residential real estate market: There is currently no end in sight.

It's getting particularly troublesome regarding property taxes.

For instance, in 2014, my taxes went up ~$100. In 2015 they went up ~$200. Then this year they went up over $1000.

If this continues, people could conceivably be priced out of their own mortgages.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Specifically regarding Seattle's rental and residential real estate market: There is currently no end in sight.

For instance, in 2014, my taxes went up ~$100. In 2015 they went up ~$200. Then this year they went up over $1000.

If this continues, people could conceivably be priced out of their own mortgages.

Sounds like you need prop 13!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If you're in the city of Seattle, those folks have never met a property tax they didn't like. I still cringe remembering that monorail project that would've cost 11 billion dollars and gone like 5 miles from downtown to Crown Hill. For reference, the California bullet train which will go from LA to San Francisco is supposed to be like 70 billion.

As someone who's lived in the area for my entire life, I find it mind boggling how much property is going for, but as long as there are jobs things probably aren't going to change.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

BeastOfExmoor posted:

As someone who's lived in the area for my entire life, I find it mind boggling how much property is going for, but as long as there are jobs things probably aren't going to change.

Another horrible thing is what it's like to talk to real estate agents or loan officers in Seattle. It feels like they are all barely holding back from frothing at the mouth in greed.

Maybe by the time I get priced out of renting in this city it'll be time to go make some other place more expensive. Pittsburgh: the next Seattle

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Thoguh posted:

I've owned a place for about three months. Clearly it was time for my first drain backup. Yay for it quite possibly being a tree root since my snake runs in to something solid about 18 feet down the pipe but water can still get through, just slowly since it takes about 2 minutes to back up.

Did you get water back on your insurance?

And to add my own misfortune to help you feel better, I've been in this house just over a week. On Tuesday a storm caused a power brownout or surge and it toasted my AC capacitor. I never did it as a renter, however there's no way I'm keeping less than 3k in a repair fund.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

For reference, the California bullet train which will go from LA to San Francisco is supposed to be like 70 billion.

If you think that will be even remotely on budget...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

And to add my own misfortune to help you feel better, I've been in this house just over a week. On Tuesday a storm caused a power brownout or surge and it toasted my AC capacitor. I never did it as a renter, however there's no way I'm keeping less than 3k in a repair fund.

Luckily it just backed up to the sink and a little bit under the sink, so there was no water damage. We just can't use the kitchen sink for extended periods right now. My plan is to open up the drywall in the basement right before the pipe goes in to the foundation and if there isn't an access point there already, to install one. Then I'll call around and get quotes for cleaning out the pipe. I had a plumber come out after my snaking it didn't do anything but all that did was waste a couple hundred bucks for him to try and blow it. Which didn't fix anything and is why I figure its a root or something along those lines.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

OhDearGodNo posted:

Btw those things are incredibly easy to replace and like 30$. I highly reccomend doing some reading up on house ac, you can save a ton of cash repairing extremely simple electronic circuits. Literally all you need is a multimeter and hand tools.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
While I like having separate home searching and home ownership thread now the titles make it tough to know which one is which, and that's as somebody who frequents this subforum.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't think it matters much you can complain about lovely agents or lovely roofs in either thread no sheriff is going to ride in and end your reign of terror.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

revmoo posted:

The garage is seriously why I bought a 250k house instead of a 130k house. I prefer to live further below my means than this, but I couldn't resist. Basically the previous owners pulled some strings and got permits to build this thing somehow. All the rest of the houses in the neighborhood have little detached one-car deals and then this thing is the same footprint of the house and occupies most of the backyard. I really would love to know how it got permitted. It's the sort of garage you'd see on a rural or farm property and it's stuck right in the middle of a city. I'm 10 minutes from downtown DURING rush hour.
That sounds fantastic. I would like a 2,400SF garage to tide me over for a 4,000SF... But 460SF works in a pinch...

Thoguh posted:

Luckily it just backed up to the sink and a little bit under the sink, so there was no water damage. We just can't use the kitchen sink for extended periods right now. My plan is to open up the drywall in the basement right before the pipe goes in to the foundation and if there isn't an access point there already, to install one. Then I'll call around and get quotes for cleaning out the pipe. I had a plumber come out after my snaking it didn't do anything but all that did was waste a couple hundred bucks for him to try and blow it. Which didn't fix anything and is why I figure its a root or something along those lines.
Why didn't you have it scoped? Before closing is the usual time to do it.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 13, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thoguh posted:

While I like having separate home searching and home ownership thread now the titles make it tough to know which one is which, and that's as somebody who frequents this subforum.

The one with "bought a house" in the title is about buying houses, the one with "homeownership" in the title is about home ownership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

The one with "bought a house" in the title is about buying houses, the one with "homeownership" in the title is about home ownership

People buying houses are often getting their first taste of the second job that is homeownership, so there's quite a bit of overlap.