Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
You guys are all about "pride never die" for years and then when it actually comes back you don't want it smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I thought that had turned into PRIDE Always Die after Sakuraba became a zombie and Cro Cop got his ankle and his grey matter turned inside out.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Andy Dufresne posted:

He's literally the top promoted fighter on the card. He's the first segment in every embedded. He was given a reality television show. I'm not making any claims that Punk's going to draw but UFC clearly thinks he's going to do more than the main and co-main.

Paige Van Zant gets lots of featured time as well do you think she's getting ppv points?

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
How does this thread have 100 new posts every day, what is there to say about cm punk besides he's an unathletic actor with essentially no training and is going to get his rear end whooped very quickly and violently

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought that had turned into PRIDE Always Die after Sakuraba became a zombie and Cro Cop got his ankle and his grey matter turned inside out.

It was Pride Please Die when Cro Cop/Fedor 2 was teased a couple months ago

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the fight is tonight so the number of posts rising is natural

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

How does this thread have 100 new posts every day, what is there to say about cm punk besides he's an unathletic actor with essentially no training and is going to get his rear end whooped very quickly and violently

This thread got like 20 posts a week for months. The only reason it's picking up now is because the fight's almost here.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Efexeye posted:

It's tomorrow (Sat Sept 10)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Efexeye posted:

It's tomorrow but otherwise sure.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

oh drat sweet then I can watch it after all! booyah

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
When has there ever been a ufc ppv on a friday

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

never PPV, but they have had Friday night Fight nights.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I wanna see him get beat up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here's a list of every UFC friday event. Last PPV was Lesnar/Overeem.

The Ultimate Fighter: Team Joanna vs. Team Cláudia Finale 8-Jul-16
The Ultimate Fighter: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber Finale 11-Dec-15
The Ultimate Fighter: A Champion Will Be Crowned Finale 12-Dec-14
UFC Fight Night: Jacaré vs. Mousasi 5-Sep-14
UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Nelson 11-Apr-14
UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot 5-Oct-12
UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida 22-Jun-12
UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall 8-Jun-12
The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale 1-Jun-12
UFC on FX: Guillard vs. Miller 20-Jan-12
UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem 30-Dec-11
UFC 55: Fury 7-Oct-05
UFC 50: The War of '04 22-Oct-04
UFC 47: It's On! 2-Apr-04
UFC 45: Revolution 21-Nov-03
UFC 44: Undisputed 26-Sep-03
UFC 43: Meltdown 6-Jun-03
UFC 42: Sudden Impact 25-Apr-03
UFC 41: Onslaught 28-Feb-03
UFC 40: Vendetta 22-Nov-02
UFC 39: The Warriors Return 27-Sep-02
UFC 37: High Impact 10-May-02
UFC 36: Worlds Collide 22-Mar-02
UFC 35: Throwdown 11-Jan-02
UFC 34: High Voltage 2-Nov-01
UFC 33: Victory in Vegas 28-Sep-01
UFC 32: Showdown in the Meadowlands 29-Jun-01
UFC 31: Locked and Loaded 4-May-01
UFC 30: Battle on the Boardwalk 23-Feb-01
UFC 28: High Stakes 17-Nov-00
UFC 27: Ultimate Bad Boyz 22-Sep-00
UFC 26: Ultimate Field of Dreams 9-Jun-00
UFC 25: Ultimate Japan 3 14-Apr-00
UFC 24: First Defense 10-Mar-00
UFC 23: Ultimate Japan 2 19-Nov-99
UFC 22: Only One Can be Champion 24-Sep-99
UFC 21: Return of the Champions 16-Jul-99
UFC 20: Battle for the Gold 7-May-99
UFC 19: Ultimate Young Guns 5-Mar-99
UFC 18: The Road to the Heavyweight Title 8-Jan-99
UFC Brazil: Ultimate Brazil 16-Oct-98
UFC 17: Redemption 15-May-98
UFC 16: Battle in the Bayou 13-Mar-98
UFC 15: Collision Course 17-Oct-97
UFC 13: The Ultimate Force 30-May-97
UFC 12: Judgement Day 7-Feb-97
UFC 11: The Proving Ground 20-Sep-96
UFC 10: The Tournament 12-Jul-96
UFC 9: Motor City Madness 17-May-96
UFC 8: David vs. Goliath 16-Feb-96
UFC 7: The Brawl in Buffalo 8-Sep-95
UFC 6: Clash of the Titans 14-Jul-95
UFC 5: The Return of the Beast 7-Apr-95
UFC 4: Revenge of the Warriors 16-Dec-94
UFC 3: The American Dream 9-Sep-94
UFC 2: No Way Out 11-Mar-94
UFC 1: The Beginning 12-Nov-93

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.

Lid posted:

I present this Trillion Dollar Bill to our richest, and therefore most trustworthy citizen, Charles Montgomery Punk

Lmao

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i only watch fake sports like wwe and EPL

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
So ufc 141

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/774333505899683840

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

It's not the first time I've disagreed with Dave Meltzer over something neither of us actually knows the answer to, and it won't be the last.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

RagingHematoma posted:

Good for CM Punk giving this a go, but I think the Cinderella story narrative they are going with is a bit much.

Punk also said during the press conference that it is never too late to start and if you think so he's "sorry your dreams are so small". Most 37 year old MMA fans do not have the ability to quit their full time job, immerse themselves in MMA for 2 years, get a spot on a UFC PPV and pay to be trained at the level he's been trained at.

Butthurt wrestling fans are a little dramatic saying he turned his back on them, but the guy comes off as a jerk when he gets annoyed when people ask him about the WWE. None of this dream his is experiencing would be possible if it wasn't for wrestling.
i love this thread

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

It's not the first time I've disagreed with Dave Meltzer over something neither of us actually knows the answer to, and it won't be the last.

They signed him at a time when they were trying to make a big splash. Conor was climbing to the powerhouse he is now, along with Ronda. So they were kind of hurting for the fights that casuals gravitate towards.

2014 was a sketchy year for the UFC just being bombarded by injuries, canceled cards, and GSP calling it quits

It wouldn't be the craziest thought to think they may have given him points, but there's no way to know until we hear otherwise.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Cm punk was signed to sell PPVS

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I watched the footage of the Weigh-in's punk looks in pretty decent shape and didn't look like he was massively dehydrated in my opinion of course other more experienced eyes may say different.
He's always got a puncher's chance at scoring a win I guess (despite the horrid sparring footage I've seen) so hopefully he at least puts up a decent performance.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gaz2k21 posted:

I watched the footage of the Weigh-in's punk looks in pretty decent shape and didn't look like he was massively dehydrated in my opinion of course other more experienced eyes may say different.
He's always got a puncher's chance at scoring a win I guess (despite the horrid sparring footage I've seen) so hopefully he at least puts up a decent performance.

He looked alright to me too. Kinda felt like he didn't have to cut A LOT from his recent footage, dude just seems the type that complains a lot as an acceptance device (I can relate).

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
He probably didnt have to cut a ton, hes not a big 170 now that hes not bodybuilding/on steroids and could probably make 155 if he did the same type of cut other guys do. Not to diminish it since it was probably still a hard cut for him at his age

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Cm punk was signed to sell PPVS

an interesting theory that isn't borne out of the business he did for the WWE

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

As clueless as he seemed when asked about cutting weight good on him for actually pulling it off.

Now about that whole making sure he doesn't get KO'd hilariously thing, that's the next battle ahead. Hopefully he doesn't - I wouldn't mind 5 extra goonweight prediction points.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Frankly the funniest thing that could happen is this entire thread eating a bunch of crow.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Frankly the funniest thing that could happen is this entire thread eating a bunch of crow.

I think itd be cool if he won, itd be weird to see what they do next with him and hopefully hed want to keep fighting. He also definitely has a chance, anyone whos game has a solid like 15% chance against someone as inexperienced as Mickey gall, thats why hes like a +450 underdog instead of a +10000 underdog. but he is gonna get his rear end kicked badly and itll be disappointing for his fans

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You say funniest, I say bloodiest. Funniest. Bloodiest. Let's run that whole thing back.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm happy if he wins, I'll laugh if he loses

The worst case is it going the full 15 minutes, because there's no scenario where that happens and it isn't a boring as gently caress fight

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I for one hope Phil wins.

What does CM stand for? Cunty Minge?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Chick Magnet

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Chicago Made

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cool Man

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cookie Monster.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Lodin posted:

I for one hope Phil wins.

What does CM stand for? Cunty Minge?

tgats gross...

cams
Mar 28, 2003

1st AD posted:

Chick Magnet
it's funny cause this is the real answer and the dumbest one posted.

punk will get wrestled and subbed in the first ~book it~

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

cams posted:

it's funny cause this is the real answer and the dumbest one posted.

Yeah, but on the other hand it was a nick name given to him ironically because he was gawky as gently caress as a teenager.

And then he went on to date pretty much every female wrestler, so it's funny how things work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It will always be Crazy Mariachi to me

• Locked thread