Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Case 2: which of these videos am I supposed to be looking at? The one of Bonny, I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alcharagia posted:

i already hate prosecutor sahdmadhi he is a mean bad man

Maybe if you weren't so loving sinful you'd change your mind.

Justin_Brett posted:

Case 2: which of these videos am I supposed to be looking at? The one of Bonny, I assume.

The one of Bonny, yes. Something is missing in the other video.

More detailed clue.
Playing cards.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'M AT THE END OF CASE 2 AND I'M YELLING

THIS GAME OWNS

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

i already hate prosecutor sahdmadhi he is a mean bad man

What broke you about him, Alcharagia

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Case 4: Courtroom Révolutionnaire 2016 loving rocks

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe if you weren't so loving sinful you'd change your mind.

The one of Bonny, yes. Something is missing in the other video.

More detailed clue.
Playing cards.

That seemed too obvious. :doh:

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Case 4: Yay Simon is back and he's still a smarmy Japanophile brit! I only need to see Franziska and Larry and all my wishes for returning characters will be fulfilled.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Early Case 2: Examining Charley on the day Phoenix put Redd White in jail made me feel a little wistful :smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All of Case 2: Woww that was an incredible case. I don't think it was too much shorter than your usual 2 day cases because both the investigation and trial phases felt like they were double the length that they usually are, so they just sort of combined them rather than splitting them up. Made for an interesting change of pace.

But man I was straight up baffled for most of the case which is awesome because I love those moments when Apollo asks you to do something and you're like oh poo poo I don't know what he's getting at! The reveal about Retinz blew my mind of course, but weirdly the craziest moment for me was the final deduction because I'd been trying to figure out why the handprints were backwards for the whole drat case.

Retinz was an amazing villain. So absolutely twisted and hateful, and one of the coolest murder plots the games have had so far.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Case 2: Oh god there's a video I'm getting flashbacks.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TheKingofSprings posted:

What broke you about him, Alcharagia

he made ema eat snackoos again. this sort of evil is on another level from simple prosecutional cruelty :mad:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Case 2: Oh god there's a video I'm getting flashbacks.

haha Don't worry they've long since learned their lesson. It's not a repeat of 4-3

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

he made ema eat snackoos again. this sort of evil is on another level from simple prosecutional cruelty :mad:

:yeah:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm a big fan of how much Apollo just loving hates Klavier.

It's very relateable because I hate him too.

Edit: AAAAAA APOLLO READS MANGA THE loving WEEBLORD

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I forgot how loving awesome Apollo's gimmick were he connects the dots at the end is.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not sure why Robert Downey Jr. is here, but I love him already.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Case 2: I definitely like how, after meeting the characters, it seemed like it might be a rehash of 3-1. Crooked producer, assistant accomplice, they did the murder for some reason, the end. Turned out to be way more fun and interesting, definitely one of the best non-main-plot cases in the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm a big fan of how much Apollo just loving hates Klavier.

It's very relateable because I hate him too.

Edit: AAAAAA APOLLO READS MANGA THE loving WEEBLORD

Read your comic books, Apollo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I loving love, what was it, 5-2? The one that seemed like an explicit gently caress-you to the localization team.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

ImpAtom posted:

The only way this would be better is if he read American comic books in the Japanese version.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I just started case 2 and met Ema but I have a horrible feeling the lead detective is going to be a Khura'inese guy. I want Gumshoe back :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why is Robert Downey Jr. such an rear end in a top hat? :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish Rayfa would put on a shirt or pants or something.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why is Robert Downey Jr. such an rear end in a top hat? :(

That's episode 2 spoilers btw. And (Episode 2 end spoilers) he's one of the best villains in the series.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Case 4 full That was quite probably the most filler-y filler case in the whole series. It wasn't a particularly good case, either.

Last case tomorrow!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Terper posted:

Case 4 full That was quite probably the most filler-y filler case in the whole series. It wasn't a particularly good case, either.

Last case tomorrow!

I didn't like the mystery much, but I still love every piece of dialogue in it, and it had good character moments, so I can't hate it. Definitely weakest, but not too bad. Seems like they've just nailed the writing this time around; I just like every character they throw at me. Everyone's got something endearing and/or interesting about them, and the dialogue all feels good.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Just finished Case 3. What a ride: I am NOT trying to hold back tears due to the awful truth and the circumstances behind why the murders had to happen! I am not! Not! Definitely not... :negative:

That was honestly difficult for me to try to get to the end of it... Purely because of the whole truth behind that case. At least the wife might have escaped at the end there. :(

Did enjoy seeing Nahyuta break down again though. I swear, his rosary breaking and practically whalloping him into a knockout has to be one of my favorite prosecutor breakdowns to date.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really liked Case 2, it might be one of the best "filler" cases in the series. I think it had a great take on the "obvious culprit who's a huge rear end in a top hat" idea because he had a perfect alibi and was applying pressure to the investigation throughout. It also did a good job of wrapping up the Gramarye/Trucy plot-thread that was kindof abandoned in AJ which is the kind of thing filler cases should do.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i'm about halfway through case 2 and I'm somewhat baffled at the order of the information being presented. After they show off the note signed by Trucy that says she knew about the "prank" (which is a pretty stupid twist btw, but I'll see how it goes after I'm done with the case) I expected that we would have to bring up the potential for the signature to be faked through that bogus clipboard. Instead, they all panic and the judge is about to decide a verdict, and suddenly we're talking about the murder weapon instead? It doesn't seem like a very natural transition at all. It makes no difference if we assert that Trucy actually used a rubber sword onstage then, as opposed to earlier. Why wasn't that one of the first things brought up? The argument Apollo gives is super flimsy too. "Well, maybe the blood was tampered with after the fact!" This case started off strong but this whole bit feels really bad to me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

i'm about halfway through case 2 and I'm somewhat baffled at the order of the information being presented. After they show off the note signed by Trucy that says she knew about the "prank" (which is a pretty stupid twist btw, but I'll see how it goes after I'm done with the case) I expected that we would have to bring up the potential for the signature to be faked through that bogus clipboard. Instead, they all panic and the judge is about to decide a verdict, and suddenly we're talking about the murder weapon instead? It doesn't seem like a very natural transition at all. It makes no difference if we assert that Trucy actually used a rubber sword onstage then, as opposed to earlier. Why wasn't that one of the first things brought up? The argument Apollo gives is super flimsy too. "Well, maybe the blood was tampered with after the fact!" This case started off strong but this whole bit feels really bad to me.

It'll all make sense eventually, but yes it's another example of a piece of evidence being introduced that seems like it should be used for one thing, but is actually going to be used somewhere else later. It'd be nice if they'd address why it doesn't get used earlier but in the end the way it is used is pretty satisfying.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Uuugh I can't believe I'm going to have to put up with Trucy again. I suppose there's no way to just skip the Apollo sections..?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

gannyGrabber posted:

Uuugh I can't believe I'm going to have to put up with Trucy again. I suppose there's no way to just skip the Apollo sections..?

Case 2 rules and Trucy is cool and good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Trucy is my darling magical daughter and I will have no slander against her.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

So, non-spoilery questions about the case 4 translation now that people got through it -- is it still specifically Rakugo? Do they quote Jugemu and other bits of classic acts? How is the entire thing handled, in general? That was the most "the writers hate the translation team" case I've ever seen in an AA game.

I imagine even if they did a fantastic job many of the small jokes are lost on western players, which is kind of a shame. It's probably the weakest part of the game and it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of it but it's clearly one of the writers' pet projects and it shows.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

So, non-spoilery questions about the case 4 translation now that people got through it -- is it still specifically Rakugo? Do they quote Jugemu and other bits of classic acts? How is the entire thing handled, in general? That was the most "the writers hate the translation team" case I've ever seen in an AA game.

I imagine even if they did a fantastic job many of the small jokes are lost on western players, which is kind of a shame. It's probably the weakest part of the game and it has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of it but it's clearly one of the writers' pet projects and it shows.

I wouldn't know about quoting Jugemu, but it is called Rakugo. There's a short explanation of what it is, but it's not really a problem imo. Sure, some references to classical works might not come through, but you get the gist of what it is and it's enough to understand the whole thing. What I thought was really weird though was that instead, the localization expects you to know what different types of noodles are called without any prior explanation. Especially how the word "udon" pops up very suddenly after the whole case has been spent talking about soba, and then every character just knows the difference between those types of noodles. I happen to vaguely know what that is but I can see it coming off very weird.

Rakugo really didn't seem weird to me at all by comparison. Just explaining it as "japanese comedy act" would have been completely fine, probably. You don't really need to know any finer point of it to solve the case or anything. Was there like a whole plot reference with the case I was missing or something?

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 10, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Apollo's awesome, Trucy is cool, and Athena sucks.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The Trucy in this game is less obnoxious than past games IMO

Also god damnit Apollo a swing and abyss

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

mabels big day posted:

Apollo's awesome, Trucy is cool, and Athena sucks.

Athena is a cool assistant. She's a total dweeb, which is what an assistant needs to be.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Case 2, Investigation Day 1: Okay, I give up, where am I supposed to dust this drat coffin for prints? I found one hand print on the top that "doesn't belong to anyone involved with the case" and no others. I feel like I've dusted every inch of this stupid thing, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ometeotl posted:

Case 2, Investigation Day 1: Okay, I give up, where am I supposed to dust this drat coffin for prints? I found one hand print on the top that "doesn't belong to anyone involved with the case" and no others. I feel like I've dusted every inch of this stupid thing, but...

On one of the front-top-side edges, where someone would hold it to take the front off