Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mr. stefan posted:

Its really common for manga artists of Araki's generation and earlier to reuse characters and ideas as parts of otherwise completely different works. Skull Man and Cyborg 009 show up in a shitload of Shotaro Ishinomoris work without being related to their respective series, for instance, and a lot of Go Nagai's manga have Cutey Honey or Mazinger show up without explanation.

I think Osamu Tezuka referred to his character designs as a troupe of actors he could cast in different parts. It's not at all uncommon, even now days, although it has a reputation as being a bit old fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

no they will not posted:

he earned jotaro's respect

And it cost Jolyne a loving father.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
"Koichi... You're like the child I never had" - jotaro, probably

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The dolphin of my dreams.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Raserys posted:

"Koichi... You're like the child I never had" - jotaro, probably

Joseph: You are the son I will never, ever have...Josuke.
Jotaro: Jotaro.
Joseph: Johnny

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm disappointed with Crunchy's translation for Jotaro's sickest burn in history. :(

Other than that a perfect episode though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I really don't like crunchy's translation in general, way too flat and often confusing.

KimotaBoom
Feb 8, 2008
Duck and cover. That's the first thing to do. Duck and cover.
I think they missed a line or something when Kira's complaining about the gym, because they wrote it "But I wonder if I'll be lifting the same dumbbells who've been playing with their dicks after not bathing for a week".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They just combined the two sentences, but I think it must be a DavidPro change.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

listen as long as the boner line is in there at the end they can do whatever

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can't wait for crunchyroll's version of that line

"When I saw the mona lisa's hands, I had arousal"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Can't wait for crunchyroll's version of that line

"When I saw the mona lisa's hands, I had arousal"

"Yare Yare, something's a rumble in Kira's pants!'

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

FirstAidKite posted:

Please tell me that that's what that jojo logo says because lmao if that's the random one I went with

That is exactly the random one you went with.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Daxing Dan posted:

That is exactly the random one you went with.

Lmao

I'm glad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rodyle posted:

Funny has his moments but he's really not as entertaining as you'd hope on the whole.

Yea Funny is good but kinda loses novelty fast and kinda doesn't get much more.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

His backstory isn't as absurdly comical as Pucci's but is trying too hard at the last second, and I expect a bit more bombast from my evil presidents.

That bit where he Dojans~ that guy is eternal though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How is his back story trying too hard?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I mean, there's that one scene that's literally just taken from Pulp Fiction, but he also shotguns a beer and can walk on his toes without making a sound. Also his "taking the napkin" speech is actually kinda cool. I feel like Valentine does the "guy who does bad things for what they believe is the greater good" a lot better than Pucci, mostly because Pucci's goal is a lot more abstracted and vague for most of Part 6

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

President Valentine is the true hero of Steel Ball Run imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how Pucci's whole goal is to just follow Dio's plan and believe in fate while Valentine's goal is to control that fate himself.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Moltrey posted:

I mean, there's that one scene that's literally just taken from Pulp Fiction

If you're dissing that, you're dissing Mista too. And I won't let anybody diss Mista. :colbert:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I like how Pucci's whole goal is to just follow Dio's plan and believe in fate while Valentine's goal is to control that fate himself.

That was Pucci's goal too. His plan was to conquer Fate and become the master of it through Made in Heaven, which is why he was boasting to Emporio in their final confrontation that the outcome was already foreseen, the twist being his defeat had already been put in place years before he ever obtained Heaven as his own brother had unknowingly developed the Stand which naturally hard-countered it. Really, they're both trying to master Fate in different ways.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Rodyle posted:

Pucci's great, and in fact a better villain overall than Funny

This is laughable

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

My name is Pucci and my grand plan involves dio's penis bone and also a baby

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

In terms of actually doing poo poo maybe Pucci is the best but all that poo poo got reset anyway and Valentine is actually cool

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like the Pucci and Weather dynamic a lot, their fight is one of my favs in the entire series until Jolyne runs a car through it. I also like that Pucci's backstory is a series of unfortunate events, but in terms of a villain I find interesting and fun to watch, and are like, coherent and understandable, Valentine and Kira def take the top spot, gently caress outta here DIO

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Its funny how Pucci's obsession with controlling people and fate are his ultimate failing..

Had he just let the full loop complete in the first place, the effects of Made in Heaven would have become permanent and he would have had the world he wanted for people where they all know whats going to happen in their lives (except him who is now uncontrolled by fate). Instead, he stops just a few months short because he's scared that Emporio's fate is to escape the prison and defeat him at Cape Canaveral. Then in his attempt to kill Emporio, he ends up changing fate by accidentally punching Weather's stand disc into him, then gets his rear end kicked and begs Emporio to at least let him finish the reset loop so the effects could stay.

Its same situation with his sister and brother. By him trying to manipulate the situation to go the way he wanted, it ends up wildly different in a way he never wanted. He never learns his lesson and never accepts responsibility.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

Getting worried that Okuyasu is gonna be the brojo who croaks this Part.

Dragonwagon posted:

So Rohan's dying soon too then?

We're starting to get around to thinking about this stuff in the anime thread...

I can't believe there are only 15ish episodes left, it's all going so fast. :(

And yeah, Valentine is great and one of my faves but I actually have real trouble ranking them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Moltrey posted:

I mean, there's that one scene that's literally just taken from Pulp Fiction, but he also shotguns a beer and can walk on his toes without making a sound. Also his "taking the napkin" speech is actually kinda cool. I feel like Valentine does the "guy who does bad things for what they believe is the greater good" a lot better than Pucci, mostly because Pucci's goal is a lot more abstracted and vague for most of Part 6

I really never got the sense that Valentine cared at all about the greater good. He was just a guy that wanted to be on top and would do anything to get that power. His whole speech to Diego about not wanting the corpse to fall into another nation's hands was him just being a sore loser.

I like all the Jojo villains to varying degrees since they're all pretty different.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm not saying I don't like Funny, he's cool, I just don't like him as much as Kira and Pucci.

The only bad Jojo villain is Diavolo.

e: no I totally believe that Funny is 100% about :911:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

President Funny Armstrong

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
pucci sucks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

diavolo is better than pucci because he actually has more character

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

diavolo is better than pucci because he actually has more character

Diavolo is the only really bad main Jojo villain. What we get of his backstory raises far more questions than it answers, his motivations are vague, and his Stand just doesn't work well in a visual medium.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Diavolo's backstory is intentionally full of plotholes, like that he was born in a female prison, with female guards and that his mother was pregnant for two years or some poo poo, and that's funny to me. Also Diavolo's look is fantastic, great job there dude

Momomo posted:

I really never got the sense that Valentine cared at all about the greater good. He was just a guy that wanted to be on top and would do anything to get that power. His whole speech to Diego about not wanting the corpse to fall into another nation's hands was him just being a sore loser.

I like all the Jojo villains to varying degrees since they're all pretty different.
It's been a good grip since I read SBR, but nah I totally believed Valentine wanted to make the United States (of Valentine) the greatest it could be. His "taking the napkin" speech is about creating the way forward for everyone else to follow and I don't recall much that makes it seem Valentine is just being the President for the power it brings. After learning his father killed himself while being a prisoner of war rather than betray his country and becoming a solider himself, I completely buy that Valentine is fully patriotic. Even up to his death, Valentine's approval ratings were 91% so it's not like Valentine was completely full of himself.

The only truly evil thing Valentine does is try to rape Lucy so she can bear his child, but that sorta garbage happened so loving goddamn much in Part 7 because bad writing, I feel like that could be chalked up to Araki dropping that ball

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

Diavolo is the only really bad main Jojo villain.

Boooooooooooooo you liar, you lying liar

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Pucci is a gay black Catholic priest who convinced the Ku Klux Klan to go after his white brother for kissing a girl instead of him, a gay black Catholic priest. He's pretty great actually

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Diavolo's backstory is intentionally full of plotholes, like that he was born in a female prison, with female guards and that his mother was pregnant for two years or some poo poo, and that's funny to me. Also Diavolo's look is fantastic, great job there dude

It's been a good grip since I read SBR, but nah I totally believed Valentine wanted to make the United States (of Valentine) the greatest it could be. His "taking the napkin" speech is about creating the way forward for everyone else to follow and I don't recall much that makes it seem Valentine is just being the President for the power it brings. After learning his father killed himself while being a prisoner of war rather than betray his country and becoming a solider himself, I completely buy that Valentine is fully patriotic. Even up to his death, Valentine's approval ratings were 91% so it's not like Valentine was completely full of himself.

The only truly evil thing Valentine does is try to rape Lucy so she can bear his child, but that sorta garbage happened so loving goddamn much in Part 7 because bad writing, I feel like that could be chalked up to Araki dropping that ball

Valentines like pucci 2.0 where he thinks his heart and actions are all those of justice but the reader can tell he actually loves killing people and saying dojyaaan.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Valentine does some evil poo poo, but goddamn it he believes he's doing good, so god bless him

it's like the opposite of Kira's "I do a lot of murder and talk to severed hands, but boy do I love doing it so shrug"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'll admit that i personally don't care much for pucci, but at the very least valentine comes off like a much better written version of him in terms of 'guy who thinks he's doing the right thing' to the point where someone actually could argue that what he's doing is at least mildly admirable if not actually 'good'