Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Hearing "Auto Voltage" is giving me plenty of OC related triggering. (Auto sometimes can run it just fine at "stock voltage" levels, some boards however can spike things to 1.5v+ though, also watch out for High LoadLine Calibration settings!). I guess that is to blame for the "ease of OCing" the new K series, but it sounds like few of you have really dialed into the deep parts of the bios settings that board makers like ASUS put in to really get the chips dialed in at a higher speed.

There is a ton more to do to get a stable good OC over just setting the Multiplier up and maybe the voltage and being done with it. It requires a bit more math in the Core 2 days (OC'ing with the FSB which affected the memory and such) but it is still an art to make sure you get the OC the stable voltage it needs without spiking it with voltage needlessly causing heat and possible damage long term. Of course good cooling goes a long way (I wouldn't do 4.6+ on a SandyBridge without a really good air cooler) but getting 4.4 on any of those chips I have touched is literally OC'ers Childs Play. Also of course leaving the SpeedStepping and other power saving bits in place which saves power, heat, wear, etc on the system. (Offset voltage takes a lot of time to dial in however).

It does take patience though, thats for sure. The 2500/2600K's were easy compared to the 3930K's 6Cores of crazyness. The X79 is extremely powerful, but much more, finicky.

Yeah I have no idea where the auto voltage fad came from, but back when I was first learning about OCing it was a no-no. It's just one extra setting to change with one rule, don't go over 1.x voltage. From my experience, auto voltage sets the voltage way higher than it needs to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ninkobei posted:

Yeah I have no idea where the auto voltage fad came from, but back when I was first learning about OCing it was a no-no. It's just one extra setting to change with one rule, don't go over 1.x voltage. From my experience, auto voltage sets the voltage way higher than it needs to be

I think it mostly was an outgrowth of mobo makers wanting to introduce "one button OCing" for the super lazy/scared.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm thinking seriously about doing a cheapass build using a couple of those engineering sample Xeons for a home ZFS fileserver/VM host/video encoding rig. How terrible an idea is this?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm thinking seriously about doing a cheapass build using a couple of those engineering sample Xeons for a home ZFS fileserver/VM host/video encoding rig. How terrible an idea is this?

Why not go for the fully legit E5-2670 take-outs that are on ebay for ~$65 each?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Welp hoped aboard the upgrade train to sky lake. I'm sure after I overclock the 6700k the first thing I will do is play hearthstone.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Why not go for the fully legit E5-2670 take-outs that are on ebay for ~$65 each?

That sounds like a worse idea than modern ES procs.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Paul MaudDib posted:

The processors are not what is costly in this scenario. Motherboards and compatible RAM will be.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

mayodreams posted:

The processors are not what is costly in this scenario. Motherboards and compatible RAM will be.

I have a home server with an X99 motherboard and a single 10 core Xeon engineering sample. I got the board on close out for a hundred bucks and the CPU cost me $170. The engineering sample chip is 200 megahertz slower than a retail chip but it cost about 10% as much.

If you want to play around with those ebay used $70 Xeons you're going to have to buy an overpriced used X79 motherboard. The popular cheap ebay Xeons do not work in 2011v3 sockets afaik.

You will pay through the nose for a used dual socket x79 motherboard. Dual socket x99 motherboard will also be expensive but at least you can find a brand new one.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Buying the CPU and motherboard together as a package deal seems to be one possible option if you want old Xeons without paying through the nose.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I've got a couple of DP socket 2011 supermicros lying around if someone wants to throw me a few bones for them.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I would not go with the HEDT platform for servers. I use Xeon Cxxx chipset boards for full compatibility because I run ESXi. Windows Server can be picky about chipsets too, and it doesn't much care for consumer gear.

And the point of using a Xeon for FreeNAS is ECC memory, which I'd venture that most X series boards don't support.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mayodreams posted:

I would not go with the HEDT platform for servers. I use Xeon Cxxx chipset boards for full compatibility because I run ESXi. Windows Server can be picky about chipsets too, and it doesn't much care for consumer gear.

And the point of using a Xeon for FreeNAS is ECC memory, which I'd venture that most X series boards don't support.

The X99 boards are more likely to happily run with ES CPUs though, I've heard about compatibility woes running ES chips on Cxxx chipset boards unless you have a specific BIOS designed for them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Isn't the X99 the same thing as the C610?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

mayodreams posted:

X99 does support ECC typically. But yeah go with C chipsets for full server OS compatibility and nice things like all intel nics (no killer garbage) and IPMI and better/more storage controllers.
But then things like low power usage and fan controllers tend to be nicer on consumer boards (had a terrible time getting PWM fans to not oscillate on my supermicro board), so if you want it quiet and don't care about thing like ESX support go for one of those. There's up and downsides to both roads.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
They are similar but X99 has a more consumer focus with onboard audio, Intel Raid, more sata ports, USB3, etc.

Phone posting but I'm pretty sure you can't use Core i7 procs in a E5 C20x series board. I know there some crossover between i3 and the E3 series though.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Can't go from E5 supporting boards to consumer CPUs unless there's consumer CPUs that support the respective socket. Since at least Sandy Bridge, E3 CPUs are based upon consumer (LGA1155, LGA1150) CPUs while E5s are on separate sockets entirely to help support SMP configurations / market segmentation.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I am running a W3690@3,4Ghz in a Mac Pro 5.1 now, how much faster would a newer chip be compared to the one I have now? I run Windows on it BTW.

I don't overclock, I like running ECC in my machine and I like the 6 cores in the machine. I almost never close an application to be honest. I just have a feeling that the raw single threaded performance leaves something to be desired.

Out of curiosity, would it make sense to buy a secondhand Dell Precision and get a second hand processor on Ebay to max it out?

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
After a month of waiting for this stupid Gigabyte X99 Designare motherboard to go through the RMA process for not posting, I finally got my first big socket PC built. The 6800k is running at a cool 30 something degrees with the Corsair H110i and I swear that I blinked and missed the Windows installing to the Samsung 950 Pro m.2 drive.

Coming from a 2500k with a Sandisk Extreme ssd this machine feels so much faster. What I particularly enjoyed was the performance of this R9 Nano, with the 2500k it struggled to maintain a core of 850-950mhz, constantly dropping and very rarely hitting 1000. With this setup, it was almost constantly 1000 and barely dropped back. CPU didn't look taxed at all.

This is of course a very preliminary test and I'll need more time to become fully acquainted with the new hardware, but the difference between this and the 2500k is noticeable. Not that Sandy bridge was poor, I love how much that bit of silicone lasted, especially performance from a mid range unlocked chip, but with the cumulative features of the last 5 years, and this hardware being in a totally different price bracket it's a very nice improvement over the aging socket.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Did you try flashing the BIOS before you sent it out? I had a GA-X99-UD4 that refused to post and it turned out that it just needed to be flashed.

I went from a 4690K to a 5820K and it's absurd even versus that. Like twice as fast in some stuff.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 7, 2016

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
It was the next step I was going to try, but I lacked the confidence to make the attempt. Combined with my frustrations I would have most likely boned it up somehow. Gigabyte did mention that it could have been a bios issue, but after a few nights of trying to find any info about the board from forums I was coming up short. Gigabyte had documentation saying the board was compatible with the 6800k which was leading me to believe that there could have been something iffy going on. I should have tried harder to find a solution before waiting a month.

I'm going to have to do another flash for the memory issue I'm having, currently this thing power cycles when a second ram stick is installed in dual channel mode.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Got an Intel SDK in with LGA 3647 processors :stare:

They are humongous. I'm so used to 2011s I was totally confused when I took the heatsinks off at first..

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
For anyone wondering whether to upgrade their CPU or get a new graphics card, if you're on something old like an i5 760, an upgrade to skylake will give you much better performance. I had a GTX 960 and got way way wayyy better performance in modern games like GTA V, Fallout 4 after upgrading to a 6600k

Had a few goons tell me to get the graphics card first and I'm glad I didnt. :)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

AEMINAL posted:

For anyone wondering whether to upgrade their CPU or get a new graphics card, if you're on something old like an i5 760, an upgrade to skylake will give you much better performance. I had a GTX 960 and got way way wayyy better performance in modern games like GTA V, Fallout 4 after upgrading to a 6600k

Had a few goons tell me to get the graphics card first and I'm glad I didnt. :)

It's really important for you to mention what your old CPU was (and if it was overclocked, and if your 6600k is) for people to know if your situation here is applicable to theirs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
FO4 and GTA:V are basically best-case examples of performance improvement on newer processors. Most games won't be that drastic.

They also tend to show performance improvements from using faster memory.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Eletriarnation posted:

It's really important for you to mention what your old CPU was (and if it was overclocked, and if your 6600k is) for people to know if your situation here is applicable to theirs.

same one as in my post, overclocked

man is it nice to have a uefi bios

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
You should call it a uefi firmware, if you want to be correct.

I find it also helps understand that both are discreet ways of doing a similar thing: either you are booting with bios firmware, or you are booting uefi firmware.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I'm on an i7 2600k that's been overclocked to 4.2 GHz. I'm still not sure how much of a jump Kaby Lake or Cannonlake is going to be for my 5 year old CPU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

FO4 and GTA:V are basically best-case examples of performance improvement on newer processors. Most games won't be that drastic.

They also tend to show performance improvements from using faster memory.

Late game Hoi4 chugs on a I7 6700k (lol paradox), KSP could also benefit from more CPU :colbert:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

AEMINAL posted:

same one as in my post, overclocked

man is it nice to have a uefi bios

Oh, yeah. Apologies, not sure how I missed that. Yeah, that's a big upgrade and UEFI is indeed very nice.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm on an i5-3550. I think I'm fine for nowish but I'm probably going to start re-encoding several hour long raw OBS mp4 videos soon so that'll be fun and may merit a new processor.

Don't really want to dig into my lovely case though. Was a pain in the rear end to get that motherboard and io plate in there properly.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm on an i7 2600k that's been overclocked to 4.2 GHz. I'm still not sure how much of a jump Kaby Lake or Cannonlake is going to be for my 5 year old CPU

quite a bit, fast DDR4 + about 20-40% in generational improvements is a lot

+ AVX2 and friends

5 years is about right tbh

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been messing with ffmpeg and making my own webms and various h264 re-encodes, and I'm really hating how slow it can be sometimes.

Here's hoping Kaby Lake comes with a fair bit of generational improvement.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've been messing with ffmpeg and making my own webms and various h264 re-encodes, and I'm really hating how slow it can be sometimes.

Here's hoping Kaby Lake comes with a fair bit of generational improvement.
If you want an encoding box go get some cheap Xeons, a 212 cooler that'll end up going pretty loud, and the increasingly rare x79 board, h264 encoding from the CPU is one of those things that don't benefit more from generational improvements significantly if you're stuck with four cores, but they scale amazingly well with core count, at least with Intel.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Or if you want a dual-purpose desktop that can crush games as well as crush encoding then go 5820K. You'll never notice the difference between Haswell and Skylake's IPC especially with quad-channel DDR4 in the mix. Hexacores absolutely destroy smaller chips in that kind of stuff. Just be prepared to dissipate a lot of heat because HEDT chips really pump it out - a 5820K @ 1.3V with a 980 Ti idling pushes 300W while encoding on the CPU.

This conversation reminded me though:

SuperDucky posted:

I've got a couple of DP socket 2011 supermicros lying around if someone wants to throw me a few bones for them.

What were you looking for for these?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 10, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NihilismNow posted:

Late game Hoi4 chugs on a I7 6700k (lol paradox), KSP could also benefit from more CPU :colbert:

Yeah strategy games tend to eat a lot of CPU, Civ5 is pretty brutal too IIRC. And games that do physics on the CPU will too (I think one of the racing games does too, maybe Project Cars?).

But typically they need more actual computing power, not just memory performance.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If you want an encoding box go get some cheap Xeons, a 212 cooler that'll end up going pretty loud, and the increasingly rare x79 board, h264 encoding from the CPU is one of those things that don't benefit more from generational improvements significantly if you're stuck with four cores, but they scale amazingly well with core count, at least with Intel.

How much better are we talking? Let's say I bought a 50 dollar xeon and plugged it into the appropriate board?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Depends on the Xeon you pick up. A 4 core Xeon isn't going to do jack, but a 8+ core one would wipe the floor with anything with less for a lot less price wise than that 8-10 core BW-E. You just miss out on the OC'ing, which isn't as bad when you have more cores to throw at the encoding.

Even 20Cores can be had for less than $600

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

Depends on the Xeon you pick up. A 4 core Xeon isn't going to do jack, but a 8+ core one would wipe the floor with anything with less for a lot less price wise than that 8-10 core BW-E. You just miss out on the OC'ing, which isn't as bad when you have more cores to throw at the encoding.

Even 20Cores can be had for less than $600

Note that chips marked "ES"/"Engineering Sample"/"Intel Confidential" are not official chips intended for retail consumers and there are likely to be compatibility issues. You really need to look at the specific model of mobo and BIOS to be sure they'll work. Technically they are all supposed to be Intel property and :iiam: how they ended up on eBay (possibly ghost shifts at the fab, which can make quality even worse).

But the upside is you can get some really loving cheap chips, like 10-14 cores for a couple hundred bucks.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 10, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Note that chips marked "ES"/"Engineering Sample"/"Intel Confidential" are not official chips intended for retail consumers and there are likely to be compatibility issues. You really need to look at the specific model of mobo and BIOS to be sure they'll work. Technically they are all supposed to be Intel property and :iiam: how they ended up on eBay (possibly ghost shifts at the fab, which can make quality even worse).

But the upside is you can get some really loving cheap chips, like 10-14 cores for a couple hundred bucks.

It's not that much of a mystery, we have a poo poo-ton of prototype intel hardware that is marked confidential with paperwork telling us to return it and when we're done with it we call them up and they say "eh you can just chuck it out".

Now multiply that by thousands of suppliers/vendors/system makers..

Definitely true that compatibility with retail BIOS can be a problem though, they're usually for either their own platforms (S2600 series) or are going on boards that run funky not for public consumption BIOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The ES Chips have been circling for years so its not like it new that they have been available on ebay each generation.

Also I have heard pretty good luck getting them working on ASUS hardware, but no idea on anything else.

I was looking at a 920XM/940XM ES chips to upgrade my ASUS G73JH years ago, but the 920XM's were known to run hot, and the 940XM's were just drat expensive for what they were, but they worked fine regardless. :/