Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Protip: Don’t have a round in the chamber?

I would guess it's more of a function of "remove the bullet storage, whether you want to call it a clip/magazine/whatever the gently caress" if the specified problem was that I brought up the next bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That's sort of what I'm getting at. It's bad juju to fiddle around with a loaded weapon pointed at your own anatomy.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
People's minds can wander. It happens. There's not a lot of point in backseat-driving this one. He distracted himself.

Doubt he's gonna repeat that tho. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I can't really tell from the stamp sized video, but if it's a semiauto pistol he could just remove the magazine and rack the slide and the chambered round will be extracted.

If it's a revolver (unlikely) you can't open the cylinder with the hammer cocked. The safest way is to jam a pen or something between the hammer and frame for safety, then pull the trigger while holding the hammer back with your thumb. Release the trigger, remove the pen and carefully lower the hammer.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

jetz0r posted:

Our favorite Russian backyard mad scientist has a helpful video on catching worms!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfINQB6n0Is

There's something about the way he says "Be careful with electricity" at the end that just kills me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Collateral Damage posted:

I can't really tell from the stamp sized video, but if it's a semiauto pistol he could just remove the magazine and rack the slide and the chambered round will be extracted.

If it's a revolver (unlikely) you can't open the cylinder with the hammer cocked. The safest way is to jam a pen or something between the hammer and frame for safety, then pull the trigger while holding the hammer back with your thumb. Release the trigger, remove the pen and carefully lower the hammer.

There was a story told by Jim Cirillo (of NYPD Stakeout Squad fame) of encountering an idiot NYPD officer who had a handkerchief tied around the hammer of his revolver. It turns out he had been playing with his gun, I think in the bathroom or something, and cocked the hammer back without thinking. He didn't know how to decock the gun, so he just tied a handkerchief around it to keep the hammer from falling. I guess he was planning on untying it if he got into trouble.

In general, the NYPD has a long history of absolutely abysmal firearms training and behavior. They're currently issued pistols with trigger pulls as high as 11 pounds to keep them from accidentally shooting themselves or someone else while loving around with their gun because they get the bare minimum of training necessary to know how their gun works and basically never get enough ammo or range time to practice unless they pay for it themselves. These trigger pulls are so heavy that when they do start shooting, bullets tend to fly everywhere and hit bystanders and buildings.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Protip: Don’t have a round in the chamber?
Nah, having a round chambered is fine for like 99% of hammer fired guns made in the last 100 or so years.

Collateral Damage posted:

If it's a revolver (unlikely) you can't open the cylinder with the hammer cocked.

It's a revolver. Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGU3yhUKZwY

You can see him half cocking it to spin the cylinder when he's playing with it before he tried decocking it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Guyver posted:

It's a revolver. Here's a video.
Ah right, I didn't think a lot of professionals used revolvers any more.

So then he's just an idiot for pointing it at his leg while trying to decock it. Decocking a revolver is risky and you really shouldn't cock it in the first place unless you intend to fire.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

chitoryu12 posted:

There was a story told by Jim Cirillo (of NYPD Stakeout Squad fame) of encountering an idiot NYPD officer who had a handkerchief tied around the hammer of his revolver. It turns out he had been playing with his gun, I think in the bathroom or something, and cocked the hammer back without thinking. He didn't know how to decock the gun, so he just tied a handkerchief around it to keep the hammer from falling. I guess he was planning on untying it if he got into trouble.

In general, the NYPD has a long history of absolutely abysmal firearms training and behavior. They're currently issued pistols with trigger pulls as high as 11 pounds to keep them from accidentally shooting themselves or someone else while loving around with their gun because they get the bare minimum of training necessary to know how their gun works and basically never get enough ammo or range time to practice unless they pay for it themselves. These trigger pulls are so heavy that when they do start shooting, bullets tend to fly everywhere and hit bystanders and buildings.

requiring both index fingers is a brilliant safety

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Delivery McGee posted:

.177, isn't it? But yeah, there's some fancy .22 airguns, some with power right up there with .22 regular guns.

Back when we were kids, my more redneck cousin and his friend would straight-up shoot each other with the cheap lovely BB guns we all had (which is basically what airsoft is, just without the "soft" part). One of said friends was almost blinded when he caught one in the eye socket, luckily it just missed his actual eyeball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrAwb9ptu9U

oops turns out 4 and 7 are right next to each other on the numpad and I'm a terrible shitposter.
Yes .177

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Exciting day at work. Doing a tethered hover flight: CH-47, tethered to the ground by its center cargo hook and a 150' cable. We're doing this for baseline performance data, helicopter pulls the tether taut and starts pulling while we measure engine torque, a bunch of airframe and rotor stress parameters, etc. Top of the cable has a gaged and calibrated link in it to measure tension. So the hook on the aircraft, they can hit the release button to drop the load. The link is connected to the hook by a frangible bolt which is supposed to be the first thing to fail, and there's like a 4x safety factor, we're not going to even get close to breaking that bolt but it's definitely the weak link in the chain and if it fails the cable assembly just drops off the hook and falls to the ground. Bottom end of the cable is anchored to the ground with the terminal end screwed into a clevis which swivels so that the cable can't unscrew from it. Clevis is anchored with a bolt that's good to 250,000 lbs.

Helicopter is pulling up on the cable, and *pop*, the bottom end of the cable somehow *comes unscrewed from the clevis*. Bottom end flies up and fortunately comes nowhere near the airplane. Set down, call safety, start incident reporting, start trying to figure out how the one part of that chain we were least expecting to fail, failed. But nobody got hurt, everybody responded well and as a team and our preflight preparation really worked out.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Phanatic posted:

Exciting day at work. Doing a tethered hover flight: CH-47, tethered to the ground by its center cargo hook and a 150' cable. We're doing this for baseline performance data, helicopter pulls the tether taut and starts pulling while we measure engine torque, a bunch of airframe and rotor stress parameters, etc. Top of the cable has a gaged and calibrated link in it to measure tension. So the hook on the aircraft, they can hit the release button to drop the load. The link is connected to the hook by a frangible bolt which is supposed to be the first thing to fail, and there's like a 4x safety factor, we're not going to even get close to breaking that bolt but it's definitely the weak link in the chain and if it fails the cable assembly just drops off the hook and falls to the ground. Bottom end of the cable is anchored to the ground with the terminal end screwed into a clevis which swivels so that the cable can't unscrew from it. Clevis is anchored with a bolt that's good to 250,000 lbs.

Helicopter is pulling up on the cable, and *pop*, the bottom end of the cable somehow *comes unscrewed from the clevis*. Bottom end flies up and fortunately comes nowhere near the airplane. Set down, call safety, start incident reporting, start trying to figure out how the one part of that chain we were least expecting to fail, failed. But nobody got hurt, everybody responded well and as a team and our preflight preparation really worked out.

I had to lookup what a CH 47 was and holy :stare:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ewiley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I7ooq9y4dQ

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again
:jiggled:

jiggled again

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ewiley posted:

It's big, but for purposes of scale:

So, what's going on there is ground resonance, which can happen to any helicopter with a fully-articulated rotor system. It usually *doesn't* happen, because the landing gear struts absorb some of that vibration and prevent it from occurring. The Army wanted to use that particular airplane for weapons-effects testing: start it up and shoot a bunch of holes in it and see what stops working first. Trouble is they removed the landing gear first, and chained it directly to the ground, which doesn't work too well with a Chinook. Lesson learned on their part.

The really OSHA bit is why they wanted to use that particular airplane for the test. That one was on a ferry flight from Corpus Christi Air Depot and suffered a malfunction and *rolled completely inverted in flight*. The pilot managed to get it back under control at 250 feet above the ground and set it down. The root cause was traced to water and rust in the hydraulic lines which clogged the control actuators, but the airframe was sufficiently overstressed by the roll that it couldn't be used as a helicopter anymore.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
And the Navy version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1FjQqWtUuI

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Hadn't seen that one. Here's the really bad CH-46 one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdlqCeQfGmo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ewiley posted:

They've got their own special place in the pantheon of "really dumb things happening", even among other helicopters. For a start they're one of the few aircraft that's capable of having an in-flight collision with itself, something that happened a lot when it first entered British service - the aggressive changes in altitude and speed in very-low-level flying that British chopper pilots are trained in did terrible things to the gearboxes meaning they tended to fail and the rotors would end up clashing as a result, with exciting results for the crew.

The "upgrades" to among other things the engine management systems may well have been the cause of one of them crashing with a fair chunk of the upper echelons of the counterterrorist forces in Northern Ireland on board.

Even when they're running right though, they can be a loving death trap. They're so apocalyptically noisy that every Taliban fighter in Helmand knew when British troops were coming, and in one case that noise actually killed someone. The British converted two Chinooks into flying operating theatres, turning them into the most extreme air ambulance ever made. It probably saved dozens of lives over our sorry time there and in Iraq, but when it was sent to pick up a guy with his leg blown off, trapped with the rest of his troop in the middle of a minefield, the noise of the rotors was enough to set off half a dozen more mines, fatally injuring at least two soldiers (one of them may or may not have stepped on the mine that exploded).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nobody designs a worse rotary wing aircraft than the us forest service.

https://youtu.be/_7jENWKgMPY

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

This looks like something I would have made from LEGO as a kid, specifically designed to explode satisfyingly at the first gentle toss.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

shame on an IGA posted:

Wait... "killing ONE OF the pilots"
Each of those choppers have a pilot? They didn't have them all rigged up to a central control??

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I may be thinking of something else, but wasn't this also a contract bid by someone who had no real experience or business being involved in this kind of thing?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

flosofl posted:

I may be thinking of something else, but wasn't this also a contract bid by someone who had no real experience or business being involved in this kind of thing?

No. Frank Piasecki had plenty of experience in building helicopters. His name's right up there with Sikorski in that arena. It was just a lovely design done on a shoestring budget.

Baronjutter posted:

Wait... "killing ONE OF the pilots"
Each of those choppers have a pilot? They didn't have them all rigged up to a central control??

Yes and no. One pilot controlled differential pitch of all four rotors and hence lateral and longitudinal control. Yaw and cyclic control had other pilots, which is still loving insane sounding to me.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 10, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I see that they are filming RED 3.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
https://youtu.be/VmCpTzA6SKc 5:15 seconds.

https://imgur.com/a/DpMgO

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't know what went wrong. ANSYS Static Structural said that truss would be fine.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

No. Frank Piasecki had plenty of experience in building helicopters. His name's right up there with Sikorski in that arena. It was just a lovely design done on a shoestring budget.

Also it's competitor was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWLhH3wsxUo

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Phanatic posted:

Yes and no. One pilot controlled differential pitch of all four rotors and hence lateral and longitudinal control. Yaw and cyclic control had other pilots, which is still loving insane sounding to me.

And now you can control all that with a Raspberry Pi

I loved the guy trying to make his point while being polite, that it looks like something out of a low budget dystopian sci fi movie.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

I don't give a poo poo about hauling logs around or whatever, I just want to float around my city in my own personal cyclocrane heliostat freaking people out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The circus music during the explanation of how it works was an inspired choice.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8q3DZB_l6M

The handheld device is a disaster waiting to happen. :stare:

Where can I apply for a job that lets me perform the activity of cleaning things with a mf'ing laser is all I do for the rest of my life?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9z5WdPlToo

Its got a catchy beat

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

It's an inflatable Rube Goldberg machine. Someone looked at the plans for this and said yes this is a sustainable idea that won't immediately fall apart!

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8q3DZB_l6M

The handheld device is a disaster waiting to happen. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSBGVhzGVxY

This is what happens when one of those portable 1000W CO2 cleaning lasers goes over someones hand.

Very very appropriate to this thread.

Go on, I dare you to watch the video.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Captain Postal posted:

This is what happens when one of those portable 1000W CO2 cleaning lasers goes over someones hand.

I think that's pretty neato. All other methods of rust removal seem dangerous in comparison.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
time to get my pubes bikini lasered

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Postal posted:

"Aw hell no."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

I think that's pretty neato. All other methods of rust removal seem dangerous in comparison.

It makes me wonder what would happen if the guy doing it was African. The laser works by being absorbed by dark things and heating them up until they fry, so would there be a difference if someone with more Melanin tried it?