Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

Any 650 owners who have compared it to a 950? A 650 is cheaper than repairing my 950's screen and I'm considering spending the least amount of money necessary to have a fully-functional WinPhone (i.e. not 550) until Surface Phone finally debuts in 2030 or whatever. I know the hardware is a big downgrade with no Glance, no Qi and a substantially worse camera but is non-gaming performance alright? I heard the back is grippy rubber?

I played around with a 650 at a Microsoft store yesterday, the screen looks nice and the metal sides feel a lot nicer than the 640. The back didn't feel grippy to me at all, but I could be mis-remembering. Camera is going to be lovely (lots of noise outside of perfect conditions) and performance is going to be a big step back from the 950.

If you're in GODS COUNTRY :911: you can pick up an AT&T 950 off Swappa for $220, which isn't really that much more than the 650.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm in Canada so my options are basically MS retail.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The 650 does have Glance. I was dumb and put down money for one but it's fairly nice. The metal sides feel good, it's lightweight, and the screen is decent. I'm no professional photographer but the camera seems serviceable for cat pix. I really just miss the dedicated camera button.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

ManSedan posted:

The 650 does have Glance. I was dumb and put down money for one but it's fairly nice. The metal sides feel good, it's lightweight, and the screen is decent. I'm no professional photographer but the camera seems serviceable for cat pix. I really just miss the dedicated camera button.

Whats the performance like for non-gaming use? the heaviest usage I'd probably do is YouTube videos, or perhaps pokemon go if that client is still around...

I'm still triggered by loading and resuming screens from when I had a 520.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DarkMalfunction posted:

Whats the performance like for non-gaming use? the heaviest usage I'd probably do is YouTube videos, or perhaps pokemon go if that client is still around...

It still has 1gb RAM and the Snapdragon 212 isn't great but you will get less resuming screens than a 520. My Lumia 640XL (snapdragon 400) sometimes could get fairly slow and WM10 didn't prove to be that good with only 1Gb RAM.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Guillermus posted:

It still has 1gb RAM and the Snapdragon 212 isn't great but you will get less resuming screens than a 520. My Lumia 640XL (snapdragon 400) sometimes could get fairly slow and WM10 didn't prove to be that good with only 1Gb RAM.

Cheers - might look into the 950 then for the added oomph (I can't seem to find any contract deals for the 950XL here in the UK, and I'm not paying up front for it)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Pokémon go client?

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

CharlesM posted:

Pokémon go client?

Yeah, there was a working unofficial pokemon go client, I think it was called "pogo" or something - no idea if its still around though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Last I heard the devs pulled the API that was allowing third party clients to work, so unless there's an official WinPhone client now you're out of luck.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

isndl posted:

Last I heard the devs pulled the API that was allowing third party clients to work, so unless there's an official WinPhone client now you're out of luck.

Ah, I thought they just encrypted it but people got round that - can't say I've really been following it too closely.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

DarkMalfunction posted:

I'm no heavy user but I haven't been bugged by performance. If I see a loading screen (rarely I think) I just look out the window for a moment or something. The only two things that bug me is the moment of waiting when I open Cortana and sometimes the all apps list takes a second to load in app icons next to the names. Camera, action center, ect all seem fine to me.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Pipski posted:

Ffs. Now Tweetium has stopped working. Won't even launch. Any other twitter clients out there that aren't broken, aren't wretchedly awful, and can handle multiple accounts?

What's wrong with the official twitter app? I've not had any problems yet and can switch between the two accounts I manage.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I have said goodbye to nu 930, my wife had ŕ spare iphone6s after she received a new one from work.
If this message is barely legionella it's THE IPhone correcting my spelling.
Good lord this typing is terrible

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The iOS keyboard is easily the worst one on the market and the lack of an MS keyboard in the Canadian App Store is one of many things keeping me on Windows Phone. Case in point I typed this post on an iPad and it went back two words to capitalize "App Store" and does that for other apple products (including the word "Apple") but took the capital 'A' off "apple products"!

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum
This is frustrating. My family live in very different timezones, so Skype video messages are the only way for my babies to "chat" with their grandparents.

Apparently video-messages were removed from Skype for Windows Phone recently. The recommended solution is "use Skype on Android or iOS instead."

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I just discovered that the Outlook Mail app (both desktop and mobile version now) can now send emails from any of your Outlook aliases; not just the primary alias. It's about loving time, Microsoft. This really shouldn't be something I get excited for.

Now I no longer have to send emails from my aliases from the browser anymore.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 9, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
And yet the audio notification for e-mail continues to fail. I've never heard it once. Still, alias sending is a big deal.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can I convert a living image from my 950 into a video file or GIF?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

And yet the audio notification for e-mail continues to fail. I've never heard it once. Still, alias sending is a big deal.

I only hear it when I open the action center and it is in the process of refreshing. Sometimes it sounds like a slot machine and goes of 9999999 times. But it doesn't make any noise generally otherwise, it just sets the notification icon. I bet you can change it to on, and it is set to off.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
WP retail update.

http://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-appears-removing-windows-phones-us-microsoft-stores/

"In the Boston store in The Prudential building/mall they have removed almost all Windows phones."

Also they seem to be having a firesale on 950 AT&T unlocked 950's.

AT&T - Microsoft Lumia 950 (Black) - No Contract
$298.99

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ATT--Microsoft-Lumia-950/productID.330607700

Also of note to this audience. Staples has $199 Surface 3 (non pro) Brick and Mortor only YMMV.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9092363-ymmv-b-m-staples-clearance-microsoft-surface-3-64gb-199-50?page=4#commentsBox

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

CharlesM posted:

Can I convert a living image from my 950 into a video file or GIF?

Rename it from .jpg to .zip. Unzip it. You'll find two files inside - the JPG image itself, and the MP4 video.

I think that's how it works. What a deeply beautiful hack that they pulled off with the file formats to make it work like this. Much nicer than the iPhone living images which had two adjacent files. It's like inception... the JPG image file is simultaneous a zip file that contains the original JPG image!!!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Stick100 posted:

Also they seem to be having a firesale on 950 AT&T unlocked 950's.

AT&T - Microsoft Lumia 950 (Black) - No Contract
$298.99

The AT&T 950 has been this price for a bit from everyone (AT&T, Best Buy, etc)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ljw1004 posted:

Rename it from .jpg to .zip. Unzip it. You'll find two files inside - the JPG image itself, and the MP4 video.

I think that's how it works. What a deeply beautiful hack that they pulled off with the file formats to make it work like this. Much nicer than the iPhone living images which had two adjacent files. It's like inception... the JPG image file is simultaneous a zip file that contains the original JPG image!!!

Thank you!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The last time I was at the Pru, to swap out my SP3, I swung by and it seems like it's always been 80% Surfaces on display. The WP display seemed more dedicated to continuum than as actual phones.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

There is this news too, anonymous source saying Lumia line is dead at end of year.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-looks-set-end-sales-lumia-phones-december-director-mentions-surface-phone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

If it means that a next phone will just be a "Surface" one instead I don't think it matters at all. If they leave HP to fend for themselves though I do things efforts are properly doomed though, which would be a shame, because W10M is actually starting to make sense at least to me at this rate.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

If it means that a next phone will just be a "Surface" one instead I don't think it matters at all. If they leave HP to fend for themselves though I do things efforts are properly doomed though, which would be a shame, because W10M is actually starting to make sense at least to me at this rate.

I think they'll focus on oem devices for a year and release the surface phone next fall.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I don't know how they expect people to stick around for a full year waiting for Surface with only third-party phones to sustain the market. The Elite x3 costs almost as much as the latest mid-tier iPhone.

Assuming my 950 holds up after the repair or I end up buying a new one I'll probably use it until support gets dropped since so many of the good Microsoft apps are still MIA in Apple's Canadian store.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 12, 2016

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

I don't know how they expect people to stick around for a full year waiting for Surface with only third-party phones to sustain the market. The Elite x3 costs almost as much as the latest mid-tier iPhone.

They don't, they've given up trying to support W10M. It's always cost them money and now they are trying to Stem the costs. I think it makes sense to put it on life support until they can get an Intel or X86 chip with LTE on board. At that point they could make a real continuum play with hey it's a phone when not docked and a real x86 computer when docked. Look here is us using Steam loading up cave story, here we are using a legacy Winform.

At that point (likey 2+ years out) they have a real value proposition and it makes sense to not exit only to later reenter the market. I just doubt we are ever going to see serious success with W10M on Arm chips since it offers nothing better than Android or IOS.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Except Intel is no longer making CPUs for phones.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah, but Apple designed their own chip, what's to stop MS from doing that? Or even in a partnership with AMD. That's why I don't think the surface phone will come out for at least a year. My prediction is that MS will keep wm10 alive for OEMs to try to get enterprise support and release a surface phone that is x86 in a year and a half from now. Assuming that this is their plan, we know that Panos' team has been in charge of hardware to include phones since July last year, which is also around the time Intel decided not to pursue LTE mobile processors. Plenty of time for MS to develop their own.

One of those guys at MS said they didn't want to have just another phone. They want to create a new category of device with the surface brand. They're trying to predict the future of computing and get there first. A true pocket pc that scales the OS based on what you have it plugged into sounds like a new device category and like the future of the pc. I think that's why continuum is even a thing in the first place, and why all versions of windows 10 share One Core. Windows 10 is Microsoft's take on the future of computing and it has a long way to go, but I think it's pretty drat cool already. Given time to mature, it could be great.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

isndl posted:

Installed it and it works for me :) Kinda slow though.
I'm doomed. I'm like two months late for this craze.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

No, they stopped making the Atom to focus on the core m.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

wookieepelt posted:

Yeah, but Apple designed their own chip, what's to stop MS from doing that? Or even in a partnership with AMD. That's why I don't think the surface phone will come out for at least a year. My prediction is that MS will keep wm10 alive for OEMs to try to get enterprise support and release a surface phone that is x86 in a year and a half from now. Assuming that this is their plan, we know that Panos' team has been in charge of hardware to include phones since July last year, which is also around the time Intel decided not to pursue LTE mobile processors. Plenty of time for MS to develop their own.

One of those guys at MS said they didn't want to have just another phone. They want to create a new category of device with the surface brand. They're trying to predict the future of computing and get there first. A true pocket pc that scales the OS based on what you have it plugged into sounds like a new device category and like the future of the pc. I think that's why continuum is even a thing in the first place, and why all versions of windows 10 share One Core. Windows 10 is Microsoft's take on the future of computing and it has a long way to go, but I think it's pretty drat cool already. Given time to mature, it could be great.

:stare:

Yes, an MS-designed AMD chip is going to be the savior of Windows Phone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Things likely but not guaranteed to happen: Microsoft dops Lumia and in the very near future introduces a Surface phone, narrowing the selection down to a single flagship, while trying to court more OEMs.

Things unlikely but not impossible will happen: Microsoft is dropping W10M.

Thing I will toxx myself on never happening: a Microsoft-designed AMD mobile phone SoC signals the start of a new commitment to phones.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Thing I will toxx myself on never happening: a Microsoft-designed AMD mobile phone SoC signals the start of a new commitment to phones.

I wouldn't quite jizz myself if this happened, because hardware was only a third of their problem (they'd also have to dump tons of money into marketing to rival Apple's and incenting developers to devote time to their platform) but I would pop a stiffy

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Of all the problems that WIndows Phone had, not having in house chip design doesn't break the top 10.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

Yeah, but Apple designed their own chip, what's to stop MS from doing that?
Common sense, probably. That'd be an expensive venture to produce a chip that'd offer marginal benefits compared to the other gaping holes in software and ecosystem.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
That wasn't exactly my point. I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought AMD was going to save windows phone or that they should design their own chip, just saying that Intel wasn't going to do it, and if their plan is to release an x86 phone the could design their own chip and let someone else build it. The savior if windows phone will be niche success and a 10% market share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

SpaceCommie posted:

What's wrong with the official twitter app? I've not had any problems yet and can switch between the two accounts I manage.

Last time I tried it you had to sign out of one account and then sign back in with the other. With Tweetium (and most decent ones) you can just tap a button to switch between them. It's just less hassle.