Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This deserves a special highlight:

"Pesisk, can you leave your hatred of me out of this please? There are literally dozens of SEPP members nearly in tears over this situation. The past year of their life is about to be deleted by a conscious choice from Frontier. Have a heart."

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/287437-Frontier-you-have-reached-a-new-low?p=4481357&viewfull=1#post4481357

(insert sad trombone noise here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DancingShade posted:

This deserves a special highlight:

"Pesisk, can you leave your hatred of me out of this please? There are literally dozens of SEPP members nearly in tears over this situation. The past year of their life is about to be deleted by a conscious choice from Frontier. Have a heart."

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/287437-Frontier-you-have-reached-a-new-low?p=4481357&viewfull=1#post4481357

(insert sad trombone noise here)

Do you prefer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJxCdh1Ps48 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I had the first one in my head when I wrote that but the second one makes me laugh more. This is more of a strawberry or chocolate scenario.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Bushiz posted:

Boosters:
Dirty Drives make you go stupid quick. Posting from my 470 m/s python, Para has a Imp C that goes like 900 m/s or something absurd. Your ship is very very hot now.
Clean drives make your ship a little faster, but much, much, much cooler. Excellent for Stealth builds and explorers.
Drive Strengthening could work for explorer builds if you were really just super paranoid, but it makes your ship go slower and therefore is in the garbage can.

Power Distributor:
Charge Enhanced. Everything else is big ol' garbo.

FSD:
Range extender. everything else is, you guessed it, garbo.

Powerplant:
Each of these can be worth it, depending on your build. Overcharged can enable some builds that wouldn't exist otherwise, armored can keep you alive if you've got the power to spare, and low emissions is good for explorers and stealth builds

Armor:
There's no reason every ship you own shouldn't have Heavy Duty Armor I on it, at least. The others are alright, but Heavy Duty Armor is just the best one.

Where do I go for all of these? Sorry, I'm still way behind on engineers.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Pimped out my Vulture with some rank 1 mods (clean drives, better FSD, stronger shields), it's cool but really not that impressive.

Looks like acquiring the stuff required for rank 2 and 3 mods is a pain in the rear end. Minerals are kind of plentiful on planets, wake scans are really easy to come by, but firmwares and some of the more exotic stuff.. yeah I really have no clue. I read about some base assault thing but it seems terribly unfun, I hate trying to drive the SRV with any semblance of precision, it's just too floaty.

I can't even begin to think about unlocking tougher engineers or higher ranks... drat this grind, can't I just give somebody a million credits to get some materials? Or maybe trade the loving dozens of various wake scans I acquired in my quest to reroll a lot for the best FSD rank 1 upgrade in exchange for some legacy firmwares? Why in the year of our Lord 2016 the only trading between players is still dropping canisters of palladium?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 10, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DancingShade posted:

I had the first one in my head when I wrote that but the second one makes me laugh more. This is more of a strawberry or chocolate scenario.

Yeah, the initial attempt that just deflates makes The Price is Right horn a really good sad noise.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

putin_wink.jpg

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FileNotFound posted:

Can someone please explain what all this drama is all about : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/287437-Frontier-you-have-reached-a-new-low

It looks like it was delicious but I don't understand what happened....

Frontier is moving to add EG Union, who won the right to be the first player power in the Dangerous Games, to Powerplay. But to do that, EG Union will need to start with some systems when they're first added. But since pretty much every profitable system in the bubble is already occupied by Powerplay powers, so there's pretty much no good way to do it without stepping on someone's toes. EG Union's BGS faction is deep within another Powerplay faction's space, so that's no good since Frontier promised that they wouldn't steal any systems from existing PP powers to give to the new PP power, and Frontier isn't going to collapse any of the existing PP powers right now since PP is so bugged up. Instead, they've decided to do it by cherrypicking a few unoccupied systems (and the surrounding areas) at the end of the Powerplay cycle and designating them a reserved zone where Powerplay is disabled, and doing that every week until they've gathered up enough empty systems to put a viable new PP power in.

However, most of the few empty zones left in Powerplay belong to non-PP player factions who don't want PP going on in or near their systems. There's no ban on PP powers coexisting with BGS powers, since they're almost entirely separate systems, but some player factions hate it anyway. The main supporters of each Powerplay power typically honor player groups' requests to leave their systems alone, since they don't want to risk pissed-off player groups going to work for the opposition.

The first time Fdev reserved a set of systems for EG Union, there was widespread outcry, because several of the Powerplay powers had been preparing those areas for expansion. Since Powerplay powers can only expand into systems that were prepped in the previous cycle, and since the reserved systems were completely removed from the PP profit calculation, at least three PP powers were now locked into unprofitable garbage expansions in or near the reserved area. One of the reserved systems encroached on the space of the Border Coalition, a competitor in the Dangerous Games, and they complained too. Bowing to the complaints of the Powerplay powers, Frontier rescinded the reservations, opened those systems back up to Powerplay, and promised that next time they would announce the reservations a week in advance so the PP powers wouldn't bother trying to expand into those areas.

Yesterday, Frontier announced the new first set of reserved systems for EG Union. This time, the Powerplay powers are fine with it...but now the third-place participant in the Dangerous Games, SEPP, is throwing an absolute fit about it. It seems that all of their systems are within the new reserved space, and they're furious, since (like the Border Coalition) they roleplay as super independent neutral space where outside powers have no influence, and (like the Border Coalition) they believe in the supremacy of Democracy and Communism. Having a PP power in their systems doesn't actually affect them directly, but it ruins their roleplay to be in someone else's territory and they're kicking up an enormous fuss. On top of that, since EG Union is known to be fans of Dictatorships, they're super worried that EG will tank their BGS faction for shits and giggles and bring dictatorship BGS factions to power in their place. Sure, EG Union has already come in and said they won't mess with SEPP's BGS, but that hasn't stopped them from being utterly hysterical about being forced to share space with the Russians, despite the fact that both SEPP and Border Coalition backed EG Union in the Dangerous Games in an effort to prevent GalCop from winning. They're complaining that it's unfair, that they're a tiny group that can't possibly compete with others, that one of the other DG losers or one of the other PP powers should be "punished" instead of them, and more - the OP of that thread already flamed out, posted a tirade, and got banned.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The best part is that sepp membership plummeted in the aftermath of the dg, and by their own admission, only have a dozen or so regular players.

So despite the fact that it's in more or less the most out of the way place it could possibly be, interfering with the fewest people it could, they're screaming bloody murder.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao 'grown mans cry' is on the wrong thread title

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I were FDEV I'd just make up a bunch of systems on some end of the bubble a spur them there seems easy

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

frank.club posted:

If I were FDEV I'd just make up a bunch of systems on some end of the bubble a spur them there seems easy

That will just piss people off too, there is no perfect solution here because they are placing it in by hand.

If they invented new systems on the edge of the bubble then whatever power is closest suddenly has a new front opened up on what had just been a nice wall they had their back to.

This is how the game should be in my opinion:

quote:

Imagine this:

A player could pledge to a faction and that faction will now display with their name/ship. They get some bonus to working with that faction, maybe instant allied status and offered premium missions. In this way individuals and groups could pick factions and back them ingame officially.

A faction which has XXX players pledged and XX systems controlled would go into a power elevation state, if uninterrupted for say 20 days they elevate into a power, their HQ becomes their power HQ and they carve out a small section of powerplay for themselves. This might infringe on existing powers and the space of other factions or it might not, but it's fair because it's gameplay and an existing power who didn't like this could have tried to do something about it.

Pledges to the faction carry over into being pledged to the power. Collapse should also take into account how many players are pledged as in this scenario the number of pledged players is an important factor.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

frank.club posted:

SEPP would whine about that too since they've always wanted to be a colonization power and get new systems added to the bubble for themselves

It would also make it unattractive for other powers to clash with EG (and vice versa), since Powerplay costs and profits are based on a system's distance from the power's HQ system

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Are any of the community goals easily doable for mad space bux this week around? I missed the last one.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I will say one thing though which is that previously the way powerplay generally made it much easier for the BGS systems of their favored governments to work. That is, opposing government types got an automatic debuff applied to their BGS work when they were under certain governments. For example, Torval poo poo all over independents and gave huge buffs to Feudal governments, so when Torval moved in it often buffed the imperial feudal factions and made it a real dickpain for fed or independent powers.

We're the Diamond Frogs now because Torval got her hands on Jotunheim and hosed it all up instantly. The 6IC group buffed an imperial group next door and because of the Torval bump they immediately went into expansion and took over Jotunheim.

I do not know if this is still the case, supposedly they were largely unlinked, but I am not certain that's true.

Edit: and Doot is right about that, one of the biggest problems with the game generally is that a lot of poo poo is not automated but rather done by direct intervention. You want to incorporate in a system? You message Frontier and they add your faction in. You want to move? You message Frontier. You want a CG? Message frontier. Want some lore? Message Frontier. This makes the whole game less about actually accomplishing things in game, and more about getting Frontier's ear.

We strongly suspect that the first UA bombing, which by the way we did invent, was manually triggered by Frontier - they did not expect it to be weaponized and Ackerman's shut down because we messaged Frontier "hey, we sent 200 UAs to a place, so, uh, is something supposed to happen?" and the next day WOW Ackerman's is shut down what a surprise!

Afterwards we think they did automate this, but everything appears to indicate that the technoplague systems were already scripted and just supposed to "happen" with the appearance of it being the result of player actions, since the instancing and Solo/Private/Open modes means it's impossible to know whether or not something has happened from other people doing something. The galaxy seems a lot more full than it really is because Frontier just does stuff arbitrarily and there's no way to actually prove it wasn't other players.

I know I went off a bit there from what Doot was saying but yes basically the fact that Frontier designed this thing to be "literally a person at the Frontier office made a willful decision to gently caress over something" makes it a lot harder for Frontier to do what other games do and go "hey idiots that's the game, those are the mechanics" because rather than coding game mechanics, Frontier just plays Dungeon Master, and the players just submit their moves via secret note every week.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 10, 2016

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Frontier is moving to add EG Union, who won the right to be the first player power in the Dangerous Games, to Powerplay. But to do that, EG Union will need to start with some systems when they're first added. But since pretty much every profitable system in the bubble is already occupied by Powerplay powers, so there's pretty much no good way to do it without stepping on someone's toes. EG Union's BGS faction is deep within another Powerplay faction's space, so that's no good since Frontier promised that they wouldn't steal any systems from existing PP powers to give to the new PP power, and Frontier isn't going to collapse any of the existing PP powers right now since PP is so bugged up. Instead, they've decided to do it by cherrypicking a few unoccupied systems (and the surrounding areas) at the end of the Powerplay cycle and designating them a reserved zone where Powerplay is disabled, and doing that every week until they've gathered up enough empty systems to put a viable new PP power in.

However, most of the few empty zones left in Powerplay belong to non-PP player factions who don't want PP going on in or near their systems. There's no ban on PP powers coexisting with BGS powers, since they're almost entirely separate systems, but some player factions hate it anyway. The main supporters of each Powerplay power typically honor player groups' requests to leave their systems alone, since they don't want to risk pissed-off player groups going to work for the opposition.

The first time Fdev reserved a set of systems for EG Union, there was widespread outcry, because several of the Powerplay powers had been preparing those areas for expansion. Since Powerplay powers can only expand into systems that were prepped in the previous cycle, and since the reserved systems were completely removed from the PP profit calculation, at least three PP powers were now locked into unprofitable garbage expansions in or near the reserved area. One of the reserved systems encroached on the space of the Border Coalition, a competitor in the Dangerous Games, and they complained too. Bowing to the complaints of the Powerplay powers, Frontier rescinded the reservations, opened those systems back up to Powerplay, and promised that next time they would announce the reservations a week in advance so the PP powers wouldn't bother trying to expand into those areas.

Yesterday, Frontier announced the new first set of reserved systems for EG Union. This time, the Powerplay powers are fine with it...but now the third-place participant in the Dangerous Games, SEPP, is throwing an absolute fit about it. It seems that all of their systems are within the new reserved space, and they're furious, since (like the Border Coalition) they roleplay as super independent neutral space where outside powers have no influence, and (like the Border Coalition) they believe in the supremacy of Democracy and Communism. Having a PP power in their systems doesn't actually affect them directly, but it ruins their roleplay to be in someone else's territory and they're kicking up an enormous fuss. On top of that, since EG Union is known to be fans of Dictatorships, they're super worried that EG will tank their BGS faction for shits and giggles and bring dictatorship BGS factions to power in their place. Sure, EG Union has already come in and said they won't mess with SEPP's BGS, but that hasn't stopped them from being utterly hysterical about being forced to share space with the Russians, despite the fact that both SEPP and Border Coalition backed EG Union in the Dangerous Games in an effort to prevent GalCop from winning. They're complaining that it's unfair, that they're a tiny group that can't possibly compete with others, that one of the other DG losers or one of the other PP powers should be "punished" instead of them, and more - the OP of that thread already flamed out, posted a tirade, and got banned.

Thank you for this explanation - I was really confused what the whining was about given how little real control people have of factions - it never crossed my mind that it was due to roleplaying...

Edit: Question - why couldn't they just put the new faction in new systems? I mean there are billions of empty systems with nothing there...

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 10, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FileNotFound posted:

Edit: Question - why couldn't they just put the new faction in new systems? I mean there are billions of empty systems with nothing there...
Oh. My. God.

Check your carbon based corporeal privilege you loving bigot!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

tooterfish posted:

Oh. My. God.

Check your carbon based corporeal privilege you loving bigot!

Typical Cisgendered Baryonic White Male. :rolleyes:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FileNotFound posted:

Thank you for this explanation - I was really confused what the whining was about given how little real control people have of factions - it never crossed my mind that it was due to roleplaying...

If each powerplay faction just gets its own isolated bubble then there really isn't much to struggle over.

The real question is why do independants think a superpower would actually leave them alone instead of going all hegemonic on them?

They're roleplaying the dusty frontier ranchers and EGP drove up with a giant army and went "we're putting in a pipeline also your ranch is hereby confiscated under eminent domain"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FileNotFound posted:

A) Fdev has already established that it takes literal months to build a single station, so populating a bunch of systems all at once out of nowhere would strain believability and get all the lore and roleplay types screaming - particularly since at least some of them would need to be built-up high-population systems to have a decent PP value, so Frontier would be adding an extra 10-15 billion people to the galaxy overnight

B) Location plays a big part in PP, so putting the new faction outside the current bubble would heavily limit their PP options

C) SEPP would still whine about it, because they wanted to be a colonization power with the ability to populate currently empty systems, so they'd oppose a bubble expansion for EG's sake put of jealousy and spite.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just realised that if SEPP relocate (and you know they probably will because living in EG Pilots space will be too bitter a pill to swallow) they'll have to fly out their fleets one ship at a time.

They're the ones who argued for no transfers after all because immersion :v:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

A) Fdev has already established that it takes literal months to build a single station, so populating a bunch of systems all at once out of nowhere would strain believability and get all the lore and roleplay types screaming - particularly since at least some of them would need to be built-up high-population systems to have a decent PP value, so Frontier would be adding an extra 10-15 billion people to the galaxy overnight

B) Location plays a big part in PP, so putting the new faction outside the current bubble would heavily limit their PP options

C) SEPP would still whine about it, because they wanted to be a colonization power with the ability to populate currently empty systems, so they'd oppose a bubble expansion for EG's sake put of jealousy and spite.

Ah yeah...right. Immersion. I keep forgetting that this is a thing in a game that I play with Netflix up 100% of the time.

I mean the whole thing was rather artificial with FDev engaging God mode to create the faction - but yeah I get why it'd not be OK with the crazy community.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

DancingShade posted:

They're roleplaying the dusty frontier ranchers and EGP drove up with a giant army and went "we're putting in a pipeline also your ranch is hereby confiscated under eminent domain"

They are roleplaying Ammon Bundy and family. With about the same results incoming apparently.

I wonder if they consider themselves Soverign Spacefarers?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that's the same crazy part of the community that was shocked when they didn't get any popular support, failed miserably at every goal in the challenges and called unfair/bullshit at every turn because a competition that was won by team contribution was not suitable to their smaller but somehow "higher quality" group of players.

I bet they wanted a "bad RP fanfic" competition.

-whoops, spelling

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 10, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

BitBasher posted:

I wonder if they consider themselves Soverign Spacefarers?
Best way to find out is to interdict them and see if they start screaming "I DO NOT CONSENT".

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What system are these people in?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreadLlama posted:

What system are these people in?

You know it's funny but the screaming mad OP in that thread didn't mention which system it actually was.

I guess the peons were supposed to just know or something.

Personally I haven't a clue because why the gently caress do I care what they do in game. They're forum warriors who fail at community goals.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I was wondering what the hell the point of "owning" a system was or why it'd even matter in this single-player space sandbox but then I saw "roleplay" and everything made sense.

On a different note, for those playing Elite: Dangerous instead of Space Autism Simulator... are there like no inhabited Anarchy systems at war? Filtering them down seems to make all stars vanish from the map. I've tried systems in Outbreak but I've never seen a Seeking... USS in those nor a random T9. Scrapping endless Haulers/T6s/T7s gets me about one Manipulator an hour at best.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The "SEPP losing their space ranch" discussion is funnier than the ship transfer thread.

Now he's paranoid EG Pilots are going to make them into slaves.

There isn't a mechanic for that either. (I miss the facepalm emote)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DancingShade posted:

The "SEPP losing their space ranch" discussion is funnier than the ship transfer thread.

Now he's paranoid EG Pilots are going to make them into slaves.

There isn't a mechanic for that either. (I miss the facepalm emote)

He's just hoping to attract the support of the anti-slavery RPers, who are both numerous and crazy. He's still scaremongering about GalCop too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
He really ought to be worried about EG Pilots after his 46 page rant. After all that if they don't go out of their way to obliterate the SEPP minor factions once it becomes a control point I'll be very surprised.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

That's how SEPP got on GalCop and our's shitlists in the first place. We had nothing to do with them but before the DGs were even announced we put in for a community goal to celebrate the return of an exploration expedition. They decided that it was a filthy frog trick to ruin exploration and "steal" exploration data from SEPP to whom it rightfully belongs. That ballooned into a whole "GalCop is out to ruin exploration" series of rants and arguments.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DancingShade posted:

He really ought to be worried about EG Pilots after his 46 page rant. After all that if they don't go out of their way to obliterate the SEPP minor factions once it becomes a control point I'll be very surprised.

SEPP isn't the only ex-DG participant who've been burning bridges they probably shouldn't have. Another system that's in EG's reserved PP bubble is Eravate, home of a player faction that accused the Russians of cheating in the wildcard rounds.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wait, the starting systems are gonna be under Russian rule? :ussr:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I know about the background simulation doing things based on how much people do missions/trade/shoot NPC factions, and I read some stuff about the powerplay mechanics, but everything else is just confusing to me. How are there "player factions", and how do they control things with regards to the BGS etc.?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Wait, the starting systems are gonna be under Russian rule? :ussr:

Yep. LHS 3447 is in their reserved bubble too. :getin:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

orcane posted:

I know about the background simulation doing things based on how much people do missions/trade/shoot NPC factions, and I read some stuff about the powerplay mechanics, but everything else is just confusing to me. How are there "player factions", and how do they control things with regards to the BGS etc.?
They don't. It's a massive game of lets pretend, in which grown men get inordinately angry at you if you don't agree the cardboard box they're sitting in is a boat.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

They don't. It's a massive game of lets pretend, in which grown men get inordinately angry at you if you don't agree the cardboard box they're sitting in is a boat.

This is the perfect description of it.

And SEPP are upset someone put a banana sticker on their cardboard box and are hollering about it in the backyard.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've never been so glad to be clueless about a game. This whole debate about what a SEPP is or 3D printing ship transfer times is bizarre & a little funny when you have no idea what any of it means or why this matters to anyone.

If I could have someone at frontier read and absorb one opinion/message from me: I've had the game a year, the dudes i played with the most are guys logging in to be a daring space ship pilot/captain doing daring raids, smuggling illegal cargo, or shooting and endless stream of bad guys, or flying out into the unknown to put their stanky name-dick on everything they can while looking at cool planets and taking bong hits.

I really need someone in frontier to get the memo that the kinds of people who post on official video game forums that make requests and demands for changes are like, the last people you should ever take advice from about how to make your game, and letting them feel like they have power or influence over your design choices, even if its just an illusion is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

So what they get system control but it's just RP and the actual game doesn't reflect their "ownership" in any way?

And also

hemophilia posted:

I really need someone in frontier to get the memo that the kinds of people who post on official video game forums that make requests and demands for changes are like, the last people you should ever take advice from about how to make your game, and letting them feel like they have power or influence over your design choices, even if its just an illusion is a bad idea.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 10, 2016

• Locked thread