Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

anthonypants posted:

You can absolutely do this with Exchange. Maybe not in Outlook, but that's different.

You can do it with SMTP but that's just a sideeffect. Also, Using Exchange when you don't use Outlook is even more retarded. And my point still stands, the Exchange server rejects emails sent with any but the main From: address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Truth in advertising.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

You can do it with SMTP but that's just a sideeffect. Also, Using Exchange when you don't use Outlook is even more retarded. And my point still stands, the Exchange server rejects emails sent with any but the main From: address.
If your only use case for email is desktop clients using Outlook to talk to an Exchange server then you've only yet scratched the glistening surface of ~email~

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

anthonypants posted:

If your only use case for email is desktop clients using Outlook to talk to an Exchange server then you've only yet scratched the glistening surface of ~email~

I'm sure as hell not using exchange if I don't have to. And in my world Exchange does not mean ~the glistening world of email~

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think email lost its shine for me by 1996. Probably because of Notes and Groupwise.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

I think email lost its shine for me by 1996. Probably because of Notes and Groupwise.

Notes would have been fantastic if some jerk can't implemented email within it. Groupwise... ugh. We had that at the advertising agency. We ran into a mailbox corruption bug that was only fixed in a paid update that we hand't budgeted for. Every morning we'd all get an email with a list of the mailboxes that got mangled overnight. After the CFO's mailbox got eaten twice we upgraded. To the trial version that added a footer to every email with "this message sent with a trial version of..." That lasted a quarter and a half until they kicked the cash free to pay for the update. Novell lived too long, but this is exactly what you'd expect from a company that leased all its laptops.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

RFC2324 posted:

I had one of these, tho he was a facilities guy. He would come into the fishbowl and rant about how he was looking forward to Obama getting impeached so he could shoot liberals freely.

I briefly had a manager who would talk incessantly about his bizarre 'conspiracy theories'. He was an anti-vaxxor and climate change denier, all that standard stupid poo poo, but then he'd also go on and on about how he thought having cavities treated by the dentist was some sort of scam. "Well I never had any cavities when I was his age and my son brushes his teeth all the time. How can they say that he's constantly get cavities!!" I asked what his wife's teeth were like when she was a kid and he'd say it was just like their sons, and then go right back to ranting about dentists.

Big Candy strikes again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sirotan posted:

I briefly had a manager who would talk incessantly about his bizarre 'conspiracy theories'. He was an anti-vaxxor and climate change denier, all that standard stupid poo poo, but then he'd also go on and on about how he thought having cavities treated by the dentist was some sort of scam. "Well I never had any cavities when I was his age and my son brushes his teeth all the time. How can they say that he's constantly get cavities!!" I asked what his wife's teeth were like when she was a kid and he'd say it was just like their sons, and then go right back to ranting about dentists.

I had a coworker who seemed completely normal and fairly intelligent, and then out of the blue apropos of nothing started telling me how the CIA invented AIDS to kill black and gay people, and vaccines are mind control scams, etc.

I still know a few people from that job who seemed normal at the time, but nowadays have started bringing up weird chemtrail or vaccine beliefs, probably because of that guy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

gently caress you Microsoft and your cursed poo poo that is Exchange. But especially gently caress you for not letting people send mail from anything but their primary email. What the gently caress is the reason that is still not implemented? You have a loving "From:" menu, it's NOT THAT loving HARD.

Want to get rid of Exchange on-prem because all your users are on Exchange Online? Think again! :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My company currently uses Lync/Skype/Skype for Business, but they are piloting some other programs. They put my team on Slack, which I absolutely love, but my manager and some teams I have to work with are on something else (not even sure what). The problem is that now I need to check two programs to talk to anyone, and some people aren't using either. It's super frustrating. They just need to go all in on Slack and be done with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We transitioned from jabber to slack earlier this year, and there was some hand wringing about the two chat apps problem.

I straight up told my boss I'm only going to run one chat client so he should pick which one he wants me available on and that's going to be it. Fortunately him and I see eye to eye on almost everything so he chose slack and that was the end of it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Every time I have to ask a user for their password it is ALWAYS their phone number. Like, 5551234.

What's worse is some of these people have full admin rights (trust me I resisted but I'm not in charge, and some of the systems they need can't be configured for lesser privilesge) and I see multiple failed login attempts weekly from them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Re: password chat.

If i need into an account on a Unix box, I'll back up the shadow file, edit on a known hash, do the thing that needs done, and put the old hash back in. If it's ldap or Windows, change the password to something simple, then expire it when i am done so secrecy is maintained to the best of my ability.

I really hate people who volunteer their passwords tho. No one who is in a position where they need access to your account should need your password to gain that access, stop giving it out! :argh:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

RFC2324 posted:

Re: password chat.

If i need into an account on a Unix box, I'll back up the shadow file, edit on a known hash, do the thing that needs done, and put the old hash back in

If you can gently caress with the shadow file, can't you just sudo su dumbuser?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

It depends on whether the admin has access to an actual root shell, or just sudo access to certain functions.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zamujasa posted:

Not always. Most enterprises i have been in locked down sudo so you can't switch users, but let sysadmins edit the shadow file.

I mean, i could also edit the sudoers file to give myself the power, but that was frowned on more than a little.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

Not always. Most enterprises i have been in locked down sudo so you can't switch users, but let sysadmins edit the shadow file.

I mean, i could also edit the sudoers file to give myself the power, but that was frowned on more than a little.
:wtc:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

One of my clients asked me for a list of sudo commands to put on a bunch of servers that run my software. I sent them a list that included

/home/user/bashscript.sh

They apparently didn't look at it because they added that to their sudoers file, and I've been able successfully elevate myself to root with that script many times.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Changes to the sudoers file were logged and version controlled, so it's not like i could get away with it for very long. It did lead to some fun conversation with infosec when i was debugging access tho, a 50mb sudoers file can end up with surprising amounts of stupid conflicts.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Jeoh posted:

Want to get rid of Exchange on-prem because all your users are on Exchange Online? Think again! :(

I am (so far) successfully resisting any cloud solutions. Kinda makes sense too since we offer (small) cloud solutions ourselves imo.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RFC2324 posted:

50mb sudoers file

:catstare:

I hope that's a huge exaggeration, or at least that it was generated by some kind of script.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wolrah posted:

:catstare:

I hope that's a huge exaggeration, or at least that it was generated by some kind of script.

I never actually checked the size, but it was insane and entirely hand built. 16k+ servers, and finely granular access for all of them.

This is what happens when you have a farm that's been running nonstop since the 70s in the manufacturing space, including govt contacts.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

I would argue the adult thing is to confront the offenders and not punish the whole company. But that would require management to manage.

We use our cells at work, since we can be anywhere in a largish 5 story building and we might not want to use the phone-based paging system (which sucks anyway).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

dennyk posted:

"You get what you pay for" applies just as much to labor as it does to any other product or service.

If a company can't "afford" to pay something close to market rate for a position, then either they just don't want to because they're prioritizing short-term profits over the long-term health of the company, or they literally can't afford it because they are having cash flow issues and are in serious financial trouble. Either way, it's not a good sign.

Or you work at a mental health non-profit, which has no money. :sigh: OTOH, you can pat yourself on the back for trying to do a good thing.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Friend of mine in ecom support chatted me in google chat yesterday asking to delay an automated patch group that included a specific dev environment that was scheduled for 1-4pm. We then started chatting about lunch and settled on a brick fired pizza truck. Came in this morning and realized I totally forgot to delay the patching. No one has said anything yet but my defense is pizza talk overrides anything else in my brain at 11 am.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Samizdata posted:

We use our cells at work, since we can be anywhere in a largish 5 story building and we might not want to use the phone-based paging system (which sucks anyway).

Holy poo poo that necro post.

If you need to communicate in building, personal cells are... problematic. Either get some cheap company issued ones or get some walkie talkies. I've seen both methods used to great effect.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

Holy poo poo that necro post.

If you need to communicate in building, personal cells are... problematic. Either get some cheap company issued ones or get some walkie talkies. I've seen both methods used to great effect.

Sorry. Been busy lately and got behind on my threads. Finally getting caught up now.

OTOH, our boss knows us and trusts us not to abuse having them. Hell, our boss uses them to get in touch with us.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure when people get told off for using their cellphones it's not for taking or placing calls, it's for dicking around on Facebook and similar. The device itself isn't the problem.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Samizdata posted:

Sorry. Been busy lately and got behind on my threads. Finally getting caught up now.

OTOH, our boss knows us and trusts us not to abuse having them. Hell, our boss uses them to get in touch with us.

I was referring more to ownership of the data on the device, who pays for the service, etc. I've had an employer who had a weird setup that ostensibly provided "free" talk time and we would pay for any additional services, then proceed to read the SMS texts and use them to discipline employees.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Good gravy, I'm going to lose my poo poo at the next person who sparks another phone system panic. :commissar:

Just reboot your poo poo, try again and then come to me. I've got the loving master interface in front of me plus these magical things called eyes and ears, so bloody well don't doubt me.

Don't just start shouting that there's a problem with the phone system, and don't keep shouting when I state that there isn't; this is a small cramped open plan office so this sparked the manager behind to come out to ask what the problem is with the phone system, and then asking every bank of desks if they're online and having any problems, and then me having to chase after and tell team leaders nothing is happening goddamn.

Seriously gently caress you

(Person had their status left on "Ready for outbound" for half the day stopping an incoming call transfer)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

For the first time ever I can say I was proud of my boss.

Some guy has a minor display issue on one of his accounts. It shows the wrong number of GB. It's not affecting him or his purchase in anyway at all.

He went through our usual support channels who confirmed its not an issue on his computer. It was escalated as a defect to one of engineering teams.

At this point it'll be a few business days before it is fixed. We just gotta wait.

Dude doesn't like that. He is calling. And calling. And calling. And screaming and yelling and cursing and just being a huge dick about it. To the point that it got to the VP level.

My boss, in a rare show of backbone, just told the account manager involved that this guy is no longer worth our time and cancel the account with a refund immediately.

I fully expect him to back down if anyone pushes back, but at this moment, I'm proud of him.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

I was referring more to ownership of the data on the device, who pays for the service, etc. I've had an employer who had a weird setup that ostensibly provided "free" talk time and we would pay for any additional services, then proceed to read the SMS texts and use them to discipline employees.

Oh, aye. It's my phone. The usage isn't nuts so I don't worry about it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Super Slash posted:

this sparked the manager behind to come out to ask what the problem is with the phone system, and then asking every bank of desks if they're online and having any problems, and then me having to chase after and tell team leaders nothing is happening goddamn.

Top-Down troubleshooting is the loving worst. My senior admin does this and it wastes so much time, incites so much panic, alerts all the wrong people, and the problem mostly ends up being very small and local.

"I haven't gotten a new email in 6 hours!" should never be met with a response of "Let's check the exchange servers to verify our email system is working", but it loving does all the loving time.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Top-Down troubleshooting is the loving worst. My senior admin does this and it wastes so much time, incites so much panic, alerts all the wrong people, and the problem mostly ends up being very small and local.

"I haven't gotten a new email in 6 hours!" should never be met with a response of "Let's check the exchange servers to verify our email system is working", but it loving does all the loving time.

I get it from the other direction.

Road Tech: "I can't get connectivity. Reboot the switch at site XYZ"
Me: "No, there are 30 connected devices. No errors. The switch is fine. Have you checked the cabling?"
Road Tech: *hangs up*

30 seconds later

CIO: "Hey reboot the switch at site XYZ, Road Tech says he can't get connectivity."
Me: "In writing, please."

Cue 10-15 minutes of screaming from the remote site, followed by me FWD FWD FWDing CIO's orders to every exec that wants my head on a pike.

In the end it's a NIC driver issue on the Road Tech's PC.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Had one of our support guys disable IPv6 on a VLAN because one user couldn't get Outlook to connect to Office 365 and because disabling IPv6 on the client solved the problem, they concluded that IPv6 was obviously broken :jerkbag:

That they have access to do that is just one of many other problems.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pride canceled. He backed down.

How predictable

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Today it was suggested by the Sales C-level that the IT department has to comply with anything that their department dictates.

Policies, change control, security, audits, client service agreements, who needs any of that poo poo? This is affecting sales!

As the person in charge of IT (but not a C-level myself), I'm not even waiting on a reply from the CEO as to whether this is actually the case or not. My boss will need to come through on a serious hail mary to convince me to stay and deal with this fiasco even in a best case "that is not true" scenario since I've still got a pissy C-level and a target on my back no matter how you cut it.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Someone on this emergency conference call thinks their microphone isn't picking up their eating.

They're wrong.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

18 Character Limit posted:

Someone on this emergency conference call thinks their microphone isn't picking up their eating.

They're wrong.

Someone on this emergency conference call loathes each and every one of you, and is doing that on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So I have a chinese DMR radio and it's configuration software has the weirdest behavior I've ever encountered:
When I installed it on my main Win7 machine, it would just crash whenever I tried to read from the radio. Except once after like 3500 tries, when It let me read the service data (never again after). It works flawlessly with the chip manufacturers demo software tho, so not really a driver issue. (Crashes with either ntdll.dll or HID.dll error)
Now, I decided to try it on my laptop, which is a Windows 8.1 machine. Lo and behold, I got it to work by doing some voodoo (first getting the service menu up, then trying again 5 times and after that it would work fairly consitently). So that was good enough to program the radios, but still not exactly stable.

Yesterday I decided to look into possible causes, one thing I suspected is the fact that my USB bus is polling at 1000Hz because Gaming Peripherals :rolleyes: However, changing this did nothing.
So after loving around for a few hours, I booted up my Win10 Virtualbox and put it in there. And want to know what? It loving works flawlessly in there and I have no clue why...

tl;dr:
Chinese Software is lovely