Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

He was probably on meth, Basically everyone in the 30s did meth.

Kennedy probably was too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

Kennedy probably was too.

Didn't he have some war injuries or something so he was on the full cocktail. Amphetamines were deffo on the menu back then.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I don't know about war injuries but he did have Addison's and hypothyroidism and was on a cocktail of drugs for those and other health issues. According to Wiki:

wikipedia posted:

Kennedy also suffered from chronic and severe back pain, for which he had surgery and was written up in the American Medical Association's Archives of Surgery. Kennedy's condition may have had diplomatic repercussions, as he appears to have been taking a combination of drugs to treat severe back pain during the 1961 Vienna Summit with Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev. The combination included hormones, animal organ cells, steroids, vitamins, enzymes, and amphetamines, and possible potential side effects included hyperactivity, hypertension, impaired judgment, nervousness, and mood swings.

It may or may not have been meth but yeah, he was definitely on speed.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

He was probably on meth, Basically everyone in the 30s did meth.

This is basically true, and I've read a few books on the Kennedy's, and Jack especially was amped the gently caress up, personal doctor and whatnot. To be fair he managed to gently caress his body up pretty bad in WW2, and it's been awhile since I read any of those books, but I remember laudanum and (definitely regular, maybe meth) amphetamines being on the 'multiple times a day list,' along with all kinds of other random poo poo. Still no corroborating evidence about smoking weed with Willie Nelson on the roof of the White House, but I kind of think they'd just light up wherever the gently caress they wanted to. Makes a fun mental image though.

Edit^^well, drat. I type slow, I guess^^ : )

Bulgaroctonus has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Sep 10, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

True, true. Fire can, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thing I realized earlier today: in many languages the nouns for victim and sacrifice are the same because welp. (I mean in Swedish it's literally offer which should have clued me in a lot earlier.)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Thing I realized earlier today: in many languages the nouns for victim and sacrifice are the same because welp. (I mean in Swedish it's literally offer which should have clued me in a lot earlier.)

Same in Dutch. It's actually 'slachtoffer' which basically means 'slain/butchered sacrifice' or 'sacrifice for the slaying/butchering' whereas 'sacrifice' is just 'offer'. It's one of those compound words you never really pay attention to and then suddenly it hits you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Actually I guess I shouldn't have posted (it in this thread) because the etymology isn't questionable.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
UltraVIOLET and infraRED light are at the opposite ends of the light spectrum.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Icelandic victim is "fórnarlamb" literally "sacrificial lamb".

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Retail Slave posted:

UltraVIOLET and infraRED light are at the opposite ends of the light spectrum.

Yes, "beyond violet" and "below red".

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
When I was a kid I thought it was ultra-violent which sounded pretty metal. It wasn't until I was about 13 and read about it in a school science book that I realized my mistake. I was very disappointed that day.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jerry Cotton posted:

Actually I guess I shouldn't have posted

lmbo its u

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Irish twins are cúpla which means pair and once our teacher asked us if we knew what a single twin was and I joked "leathcúpla", literally 'half a pair'. Turns out I didn't make a joke. Also pink is bándearg which is literally white-red.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ha nice, half-a-twin! I suppose though that it's from latin copula/"couple"? Like marriage in church records from the 18th century & before is "copulation" :o:

Also pink in Danish is "light-red"

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Ha nice, half-a-twin! I suppose though that it's from latin copula/"couple"? Like marriage in church records from the 18th century & before is "copulation" :o:

Iirc, English is fairly unique for having a special word for light red.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah! Reminded me of the orange/appelsin (=chinese apple) border too:

There's a lot of etymological borders that really show when a concept was introduced. Like the tea one basically shows whether they got it by land (chai) or sea (tea). Or the Arab world getting oranges by way of Portugal and thus naming them by it.

http://blog.nekoplaza.com/these-fascinating-etymology-maps-show-the-origin-of-words-various-languages/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I'm not sure actually! I'm not sure what the root language of Irish is. At the moment its biggest problem is updated vocabulary to deal with modern society suffer from what our Irish teacher used to call "Béarlachas" which is translating an English word simply by spelling it how you would in Irish or very rough translations like "leath-cúpla". There is also an issue actual correct translations being supplanted by béarlachas. For example a pub should be "teach tabhairne" which is a tavern house I guess but people are lazy and use pob instead. Which isn't a word!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ya I suppose that's the main problem with languages that haven't been allowed to live officially for centuries. I mean in general all languages have ways of creating new words or assimilating foreign words, but if a language has been "dead" for a while, that makes it way harder.

My grandpa was Faroese, and while the Faroese language has existed for a thousand years, written Faroese is only about 150 years old. Priests and administrators etc were pretty much all born & educated in Denmark or Norway. But in like the 1850s a local priest created the written language based on the spoken language, using Icelandic as a reference, and it worked.

Languages are cool as hell and I wish there were more and I wish none of them would die ever.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Korean had something similar where someone in the 18th Century was tasked with developing their writing system so it's actually really sensible and logical and much more similar to Western writing systems than Japanese and Chinese. The hangeul all stand for sounds and there's only around 30 of them. You make syllable blocks out of two or three (occasionally four) and put blocks together to make words. Some hangeul change sound depending on their location in a block but not many and there're only like 4 block templates!

Fun fact despite being a dying language Irish is the constitutional first language of Ireland and all legal documents and government bills have to be available in Irish and recently a new law was delayed when they didn't have an Irish translation yet!

I left this window open for ages trying to think of actual content :saddowns:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Intoluene posted:

Iirc, English is fairly unique for having a special word for light red.

Not to mention dark blue.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EmmyOk posted:

Korean had something similar where someone in the 18th Century was tasked with developing their writing system so it's actually really sensible and logical and much more similar to Western writing systems than Japanese and Chinese. The hangeul all stand for sounds and there's only around 30 of them. You make syllable blocks out of two or three (occasionally four) and put blocks together to make words. Some hangeul change sound depending on their location in a block but not many and there're only like 4 block templates!

Fun fact despite being a dying language Irish is the constitutional first language of Ireland and all legal documents and government bills have to be available in Irish and recently a new law was delayed when they didn't have an Irish translation yet!

Hangul is fascinating as hell from an outsiders pov. Like the idea of every symbol having a consonant and a vowel sound, and then combining them into greater "syllables". Thats clever as gently caress.

Btw also that classic pic of a road sign in I think Wales or Cornwall where it's like "Welcome to the Commune of Whatever" / "(in the local language) I am out of office right now, please ask for translations at another time"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

EmmyOk posted:

My favorite weird bit of irish is "duine gorm", which is the proper phrase to use to describe a black person, except it literally translates as 'blue person'. One theory I read was that it happened because the first irish people to meet a black african didn't want to be rude and call them 'duine dubh' (black person) because that was uncomfortably close to a common term for the devil.

edit:bad grammar as gaeilge

Pookah has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Sep 11, 2016

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not to mention dark blue.

Russian has a special word for light blue that also means gay.

In Mandarin, pink is 粉红色 fěnhóngsè - literally "powder red". I can't find a corresponding "powder blue" in my dictionary, but if I google it there are a ton of results so it does appear to be used.

Color words are one of my favorite things about language. Chinese and Japanese both have 青 (qīng in Mandarin, ao in Japanese), which is like the "nature color" - anything from a verdant green through blue green all the way to black. Mandarin does have modern, separate words for green and blue (蓝 lán and 绿 lǜ), but qīng persists in a lot of compound words and literary usage.

There's a Uralic language spoken by a small number of people in northeastern Russia called Komi, in which green is a shade of yellow.

And the ancient Greeks described color all fuckin' weird-like. The sky was bronze, and sheep were the color of wine.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I've heard that that's why Danish viking king Harold Bluetooth (Harald Blåtand) got his byname; apparently he had "black" teeth, like from possibly having his baby teeth knocked out (which can cause your adult teeth to grow out miscolored)

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I've heard that that's why Danish viking king Harold Bluetooth (Harald Blåtand) got his byname; apparently he had "black" teeth, like from possibly having his baby teeth knocked out (which can cause your adult teeth to grow out miscolored)

Reminds me that the bluetooth icon is the rune for B and T.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Or the Arab world getting oranges by way of Portugal and thus naming them by it.

Or Britain thinking 'The Wave' originated in Mexico.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

And the ancient Greeks described color all fuckin' weird-like. The sky was bronze, and sheep were the color of wine.

I didn't read the whole thing and I certainly haven't read the original material but it seems much more likely they simply weren't describing colour as we understand it, as opposed to them describing certain colours weirdly. Oxfam's laser and all that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I didn't read the whole thing and I certainly haven't read the original material but it seems much more likely they simply weren't describing colour as we understand it, as opposed to them describing certain colours weirdly. Oxfam's laser and all that.

e: also, maybe his wine, sheep, and sea all were black (to a degree)?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

1980s: noisy grey
2010s: blue

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

docLeder posted:

Reminds me that the bluetooth icon is the rune for B and T.

Actually it combines the runes H and B, for Harald Bluetooth.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

There's a lot of etymological borders that really show when a concept was introduced. Like the tea one basically shows whether they got it by land (chai) or sea (tea). Or the Arab world getting oranges by way of Portugal and thus naming them by it.
Thanks for this; this is totally my poo poo. Another favorite of mine is how the lowly turkey got its name in various languages. It's from Turkey! No, it's from Peru! No, India! No, France!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_names_for_turkeys

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Butt Ox posted:

And they chose that name because Bluetooth was supposed to be a person/wireless protocol to unify many disparate tribes.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

http://blog.nekoplaza.com/these-fascinating-etymology-maps-show-the-origin-of-words-various-languages/

Weird, since I had always read that Orange came to us from Arabic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Arabic_origin_(N-S)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Another theory is that in recent times we've begun to notice a trend of a very small amount of Vikings from that time period having grooves filed into their teeth. No one is actually sure why they did it, but all the examples were done extremely well and with very good tools so that points to all the guys with filed teeth being pretty rich or the process being worth the investment. One of the theories is that they would have swished dye around in their mouth before a fight/party/whenever they felt like it which would cause the grooves to become colored. If that is really the case then it's possible the Harold had one of these dental modifications, or that it may have been a pretty niche thing that he popularized or was the first high ranking noble to possess (one of the theories is that it's a tradition passed down through a bloodline or a specific fighting school, or possibly even a trade).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe he just really liked bilberries. I mean who doesn't?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe he just really liked bilberries. I mean who doesn't?

Now I'm imagining a Viking warlord who keeps replacing a missing tooth with a berry and then laughing like an idiot.

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004

Butt Ox posted:

Ahh, yeah thats right. Guess I'm keeping up with the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Phyzzle posted:

Weird, since I had always read that Orange came to us from Arabic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Arabic_origin_(N-S)

It did! The Arabic word for orange came from Sanskrit (via Persian) :v: