Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

It just had a quotation mark at the end of the link: http://www.avclub.com/article/morgan-spurlock-making-doc-about-oregon-patriot-mo-242377

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Home of the Brave podcast is pretty neat too.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Protestor report: no one new today, just Mr. Zion again. No pamphlets this time, just some cardboard sign - he looks like he's asking for spare change

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ansel autisms posted:

Protestor report: no one new today, just Mr. Zion again. No pamphlets this time, just some cardboard sign - he looks like he's asking for spare change

Well don't just stand there posting on your phone (Im assuming) Give the man a quarter.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I've been discussing research and Tibetan Buddhism all day. What's the Bundy news?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Well don't just stand there posting on your phone (Im assuming) Give the man a quarter.

Do this, and if he accepts it then chuckle and say, as though to yourself, "Joinder achieved.":smug:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Then immediately run home and scrub your brain with bleach, because ew.

Mors Rattus posted:

Re: cops, my guess is that if you are in fact under arrest, you want to invoke asap, but if you aren't it becomes more of a judgment call, and one that probably deserves rather more education on the matter than I've got. But still, cops do serve a needed purpose, just, there's a ton of assholes.

Re: Mr. Brugger, can anyone translate that Facebook post into English? I know he likes nullification and Jesus, but the bits about his court dates and 'dilatory abatement' are gibberish.

Of that ton of assholes I wonder how many are legit assholes and how many are pushed at that particular time to be assholes. I've worked jobs in customer service, and if the people cops are dealing with are even half as bad as the ones I had, I can understand why they're pissed off and are assholes to people. That's what I try to keep in mind when I see them anyways, they're dealing with the same idiots I used to

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do this, and if he accepts it then chuckle and say, as though to yourself, "Joinder achieved.":smug:

This is a funny idea but loving with this guy wouldn't achieve anything. He's too far gone.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
What drives me nuts about these guys is, I mean, let's pretend for a second they're 100% correct; their reading of the Constitution is bang on, they've interpreted the will of the founders PERFECTLY, George Washington came to the Bundys in a dream, future generations are going to put them on Rushmore.

Why the gently caress do they think anyone else cares, or is going to go along with it? What legal mechanism is going to require a judge to recognize reverse dilatory joinder to your incorporate personhood boat or whatever the gently caress?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I've been discussing research and Tibetan Buddhism all day. What's the Bundy news?

Not much, just jury selection. The facebook evidence issue looks like it will be decided shortly- it's one of the biggest problems in the government's case.

An important twitter essay from MacNab:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/774324617829683200
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/774325941296177152
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/774327378998734848
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/774328691912421376
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/774331393660772353
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/774336497617035266

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 23:58 on Sep 9, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is a funny idea but loving with this guy wouldn't achieve anything. He's too far gone.

Well it might achieve you a fun new stalker staring through your window at 2 AM

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

JJ MacNab posted:

In the months leading up to the Refuge takeover, the ringleaders (Payne, Ritzheimer, Hunt) considered three causes:
1) Ammon and the Hammonds
2) An Arizona child protective services case
3) Going after recent Syrian refugees in the US

well poo poo, at least they picked the one that didn't involve harassing refugees or children :pwn:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

well poo poo, at least they picked the one that didn't involve harassing refugees or children :pwn:

They still did the CPS case one as a sideline. Remember when they "liberated" some kids?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I would like to know more.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Discendo Vox posted:

They still did the CPS case one as a sideline. Remember when they "liberated" some kids?

Aren't you thinking of Boko Haraam?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Aren't you thinking of Boko Haraam?

Wasn't it Blaine Cooper mixed up in some sort of "raid" to "liberate" some kids (possibly his own) that CPS had entirely justifiably taken away?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wasn't it Blaine Cooper mixed up in some sort of "raid" to "liberate" some kids (possibly his own) that CPS had entirely justifiably taken away?

eyup. Though I think this article's off on the details.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

eyup. Though I think this article's off on the details.

quote:

Blaine Cooper playing dress up

This is the most adorable thing.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

quote:

After one week of jury selection, the trial for seven defendants charged in the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge begins. In this episode of “This Land Is Our Land,” OPB looks back at the first week before opening arguments begin.

https://soundcloud.com/thislandisourland/ep-4-the-trial-begins

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

vseslav.botkin posted:

What drives me nuts about these guys is, I mean, let's pretend for a second they're 100% correct; their reading of the Constitution is bang on, they've interpreted the will of the founders PERFECTLY, George Washington came to the Bundys in a dream, future generations are going to put them on Rushmore.

Why the gently caress do they think anyone else cares, or is going to go along with it? What legal mechanism is going to require a judge to recognize reverse dilatory joinder to your incorporate personhood boat or whatever the gently caress?

They think it will get them free land, for one. For two they think that government is inherently bad so if they say the right magic words at it then it will vanish, taxing their tax bills with it, which will then let them get super duper rich and buy a ton of land. It's really just profound selfishness in the end.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They think it will get them free land, for one. For two they think that government is inherently bad so if they say the right magic words at it then it will vanish, taxing their tax bills with it, which will then let them get super duper rich and buy a ton of land. It's really just profound selfishness in the end.

Don't forget laziness. Absurd and profound laziness.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

WrenP-Complete posted:

If you meet LaVoy Finnicum on the road, kill him.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

vseslav.botkin posted:

The magic legal words that make judges and law enforcement officers do what you command is only part of the conspiracy theory. The other half of the coin is that the government knows that the magic words are sacred and work if properly invoked, so the government engages in a huge disinformation campaign to suppress public knowledge of the magic legal words. All law enforcement officers and judges are trained and educated about the magic legal words, but are also inducted into the conspiracy to suppress knowledge of it. They know that they have to obey the words if they are incanted at the proper time and in the proper way, so they watch carefully for slip-ups, and when they catch one, they use it to invalidate all previous magic legal words. Thus, the practitioner of legal magic words must be very careful to say them at the proper time and in the proper order, or else they won't work. This is why it has never worked. It isn't that they don't work, it's that people keep screwing up when using them, but maybe this time will be the one time that someone gets it right and the judge has no choice but to angrily dismiss all charges and let them go.

Basically think of it as summoning a demon. If you do it properly, with all the right words, and the right preparations, then you get a powerful demon as your slave, but if you mess up even one word, have one break in the salt circle, one misplaced rune in the sacred geometry, all the other stuff is invalidated and you're dragged to Hell. That no one is currently walking around with a pet demon isn't proof that it can't be done, it's just proof that no one has done it yet. Don't pay any attention to all those scorch marks on the floor, I'll tell you what mistakes they made so that you can be the first one to do it right and achieve unlimited power.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They think Atlas Shrugged, a book that's climactic scene is the smug protagonist saying "Government bad" and the evil government falls apart forever, is real.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One of my favorite interpretations of the SovCit mindset, and I forget who said it (maybe Krinkle?) although they probably weren't the first, is that you're secretly king of America. Except you're completely unable to convince anyone of the fact so you get your rear end kicked repeatedly by every authority figure you meet.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Except that gimmick actually worked for one weird dude from San Francisco.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

one weird dude's one weird trick to get out of parking tickets, judges HATE him

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don't think Joshua Norton owned a car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mors Rattus posted:

It only works if you get in on the ground floor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mors Rattus posted:

I don't think Joshua Norton owned a car.

Ahem that's Emperor Norton I, emperor of these united states and protector of Mexico to you.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

cumshitter posted:

One of my favorite interpretations of the SovCit mindset, and I forget who said it (maybe Krinkle?) although they probably weren't the first, is that you're secretly king of America. Except you're completely unable to convince anyone of the fact so you get your rear end kicked repeatedly by every authority figure you meet.

Pretty sure I've said that, and I feel like I was paraphrasing a half remembered cartoon. I took that concept of trying to calvinball your way out of the rules of a playground game, and said but what if they were an adult and the cops were involved.

Haha what if you were illuminati but you're trying to argue your way out of a speeding ticket. I'm going to have your entire family disappeared, OFFICER. YOu can't do this to me. I know about the lizard people. gently caress youuuuu!

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

if you're illuminati just sign the ticket and call the prez afterwards, he'll deal with it

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of lizard people, I borrowed Ron Jonson's Them from the library after seeing it recommended in this thread. The author spends time with David Icke on his book tour through Canada in what was the late 90's or early 2000's, when a bunch of anti-anti-Semites came together to protest him and cancel various radio and TV interviews.

It's a fun book and a light read (although I'm not finished with it yet), but I feel like the author is a retard. He says he's a comedy writer, but he recounts everything in a failed attempt at being objective. Like, he doesn't tell jokes or make funny comparisons or analogies or poo poo. He basically restates what happened to him and focuses on the weird poo poo the conspiracists do.

But holy poo poo, does he seem to get suckered into everything the ZOG hating conspiracists say. To the point where he, as a Jew, is sitting across from the president of the Anti-Defamation league and he writes stuff like,

quote:

"Yes," she hissed Jewishly, "those white supremacists you were hanging out with who blame everything on Jews do indeed hate Jews."

I couldn't tell up from down anymore. Had I spent too much time with the nazis? Were they right? One of her tentacles emerged from the desk, handing me a copy of their file on Adolph Jewhater. I browsed through it, reading about the many Jewish people he had curbstomped.

"But how do you know? Maybe when they're talking about shadowy cabals of hook nosed desert tribals, maybe they're just talking about wealthy bankers?"

"Even if they're not talking about Jews specifically, they mean Jews. Everything is about hating Jews. I am unable to identify different forms of hatred, because I am blinded for my love of the tribe," she gurgled.

And then, I thought, maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think those are meant to be jokes, but holy poo poo this guy is bad at jokes.

Also, apparently, writhing truth is in the middle unironically?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the one who is bad at jokes but he literally makes the point that ZOG hating conspiracy theorists and rural trailer park nazis are morally equivalent to the Anti-Defamation League.

Like, his big clincher at the end of one chapter is basically:

"Two months later, the ADL was sued for defamation by a person they labelled as anti-semetic. The ADL lost."

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I like to think of sovereign citizens as practitioners of a heretical branch of legal scholarship.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Squalid posted:

I like to think of sovereign citizens as practitioners of a heretical branch of legal scholarship.

That doesn't even bother me too much -- I'm not a lawyer, but my job requires me to know a bit about certain areas, enough to recognize that the average person's understanding of the law and how it is practiced is fairly poor. What blows me away is the theory of mind they subscribe to that requires everyone to follow a secret law while pretending, at all times, it doesn't exist unless you know the codes to unlock it. Like, how many people would have to be in on that? Why would a judge agree to be part of it? Why doesn't anyone ever break kayfabe? It's completely demented, and I love it.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the underlying premise is that the people keeping it a secret have the power to just eliminate the secret code if they want to.

That's why most SovCits are mentally ill and immune to logic, and why they scream about how the police don't have a right to taze them as they're being tazed. It's a fundamental disconnect between reality and the fact that the guy tazing you does, in fact, have the power to taze you.

P. Barnes

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
its the sovs who dont break kayfabe btw. theyre real pros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

vseslav.botkin posted:

That doesn't even bother me too much -- I'm not a lawyer, but my job requires me to know a bit about certain areas, enough to recognize that the average person's understanding of the law and how it is practiced is fairly poor. What blows me away is the theory of mind they subscribe to that requires everyone to follow a secret law while pretending, at all times, it doesn't exist unless you know the codes to unlock it. Like, how many people would have to be in on that? Why would a judge agree to be part of it? Why doesn't anyone ever break kayfabe? It's completely demented, and I love it.
It's the same as the heart of a lot of other conspiracy theories, from UFOs to the New World Order/Bilderburg Group/Illuminati/etc. to chemtrails to truthers. It doesn't really matter what the conspiracy is, because it's not about the specific details, it's about the person who discovers the truth being part of a special and select group who possesses some kind of secret knowledge, which then gives them power beyond what most possess. The whole point is how knowing the truth gives them power, which isn't something that they feel much in their everyday life. It's the same reason that militia assholes who've never been in the military go out into the woods and play dress-up (I love that description, holy poo poo) or why preppers go to such elaborate lengths to prepare for an end to society that shows no signs of happening anytime soon. They're people who have very little power in their lives becoming king of their secret world through hidden knowledge.

Most conspiracy theories though, don't claim to have such specific real-world power as the sovcit bullshit. If you believe that the government is covering up the truth about UFOs, all you can really do is file FOIA requests, which either get turned down or sent back with no documents being found, which just reinforces the belief in a cover-up. Someone who's really dedicated might break into government installations, get caught, and get punished, but that also just reinforces the cover-up angle. Same for folks who believe that the Illuminati controls everything. They all promise secret knowledge, but make no promises that acting on said knowledge will give the believer any power.

But with the sovcit/tax deniers/freemen on the land, all it takes is P. Barnes' polite but firm insistence that they can't go into the court room with that camera, and his mighty taser, to prove convincingly that their power isn't really there. It's why so many of them get so hilariously exasperated or incredulous when the cops take them down, or the judge sends them to jail or the judge takes their money and property away. It's the sudden and severe onslaught of cognitive dissonance as their worldview collapses before their eyes while all they can do is scream, "I DO NOT CONSENT. I DO NOT WISH TO CREATE JOINDER WITH YOU."