Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

FCKGW posted:

LA Times did a really good piece on this about 3 years ago which was what prompted the investigation
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-wells-fargo-sale-pressure-20131222-story.html

Yeah but pressuring employees would never lead to them to taking bigger risks, no way no how! The culture behind these banks is so toxic it is beyond belief. Those 5300 employees were shitheads for doing what they did, but there is NO WAY that middle management didn't know exactly what was going on. The speed at which these employees were fired is also telling; this is damage control 101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gorson posted:

Yeah but pressuring employees would never lead to them to taking bigger risks, no way no how! The culture behind these banks is so toxic it is beyond belief. Those 5300 employees were shitheads for doing what they did, but there is NO WAY that middle management didn't know exactly what was going on. The speed at which these employees were fired is also telling; this is damage control 101.

Also firing 5300 employees is a good way to save money to pay a big fine.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

FCKGW posted:

Hopefully they will come out in droves and start talking. I don't see how you can keep 5300 people quiet. I'm guessing that they are not getting any severance pay?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gorson posted:

They're claiming the firings took place over several years. But who knows because even that brings up some uncomfortable questions. Like if they knew about it 2 years ago, but customers were still being defrauded until X number of days ago.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

FCKGW posted:

lol if you think $185mil is a big fine to a bank

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
No way, no loving way do 5,300 people do a thing independently. Their actions were directed from high up in the company.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think Enron executives got nailed, in part, for creating an environment where it was impossible to achieve results without breaking the law. So saying, "but I didn't tell them to do this." isn't as ironclad a defense as it once was. If it can be proven that executives knew the numbers were suspicious, then they might be liable even without a smoking gun.

And that's if none of the 5k now unemployed (and unemployable in finance) former employees doesn't have a memo or meeting on tape which proves some corporate executive knew about the scam.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

How Rude posted:

It annoys me that management can be so poor at actually evaluating its employees. Hostile work environments that threaten to fire you for even the slightest bit of negativity are living in some magical fairy land where you won't get frustrating/difficult/impossible to please customers. It's just so hosed to me that anyone could consider a house of cards like this to be a sustainable management practice.

The retail/service world is stupid as hell

I'm a customer service manager in retail which means I'm in charge of the surveys and the comments are the dumbest poo poo you can imagine. Stuff like giving us a 3/5 then saying "everything was great" or giving us a bad score because we don't have a 1:1 cashier to customer ratio (this seriously happened 2 weeks ago).

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

AlmightyBob posted:

I'm a customer service manager in retail which means I'm in charge of the surveys and the comments are the dumbest poo poo you can imagine. Stuff like giving us a 3/5 then saying "everything was great" or giving us a bad score because we don't have a 1:1 cashier to customer ratio (this seriously happened 2 weeks ago).

dirksteadfast posted:

It's the dumbest way to implement the system because it does absolutely nothing. The ratings systems are typically outsourced to other companies to create and compile the information, but it just becomes a game of "subtly hint to the customer that you need all 5s". And the ratings companies know this very well, considering the one phone survey I ever had to take I cut them off towards the beginning and just said "all 5s" and they laughed and thanked me for my time. So companies are paying millions of dollars to contract survey systems that are only ever utilized if they're self-congratulatory nonsense.

I also love the "the last guy was poo poo but this guy was great and got everything sorted" 1/5

Imagine this exact system. But for video games service. Think about that demographic and how absolutely hosed that would be hahahahahah! Schadenfreude is on me this time :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How Rude posted:

It annoys me that management can be so poor at actually evaluating its employees.

Effective performance evaluation and management is actually really hard.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Subjunctive posted:

Effective performance evaluation and management is actually really hard.

It's like management has to be hands on and put in actual work and rating systems are garbage also.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VanSandman posted:

No way, no loving way do 5,300 people do a thing independently. Their actions were directed from high up in the company.

Considering the sales figures that they were apparently being forced to make to avoid losing their jobs, it's possible that at least some of them were just a bunch of people all getting the same idea to lie on their work to meet otherwise impossible standards.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why were only 5,300 people doing it? They have more people in that position, right?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Subjunctive posted:

Why were only 5,300 people doing it? They have more people in that position, right?

You can't fire everybody.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gounads posted:

Are you sure?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Wade Wilson posted:

Are you sure?

Not when they've saved the important emails to a flash drive...

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Gounads posted:

Spongebob did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-urDhhvgxk

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gorson posted:

Always how it goes too, the people at the bottom of the ladder get hosed hard while the idiot cronies at the top either keep their jobs, or are "forced" into retirement with a hefty pension and a slap on the wrist. So yeah, gently caress Wells Fargo, I hope all their locations worldwide spontaneously catch fire and burn to ash.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wells Fargo and BoA are loving terrible and gently caress you over at every opportunity unless you're a billion dollar corporation and I can't understand why regular people go there.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

oldpainless posted:

Wells Fargo and BoA are loving terrible and gently caress you over at every opportunity unless you're a billion dollar corporation drug cartel and I can't understand why regular people go there.

FTFY

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That was HSBC, unless Wells Fargo also does it (they probably do). HSBC executives were let off the hook because, and I'm paraphrasing here, "prosecuting them would negatively their business" which is the most blatant confirmation of rich/white privilege you will ever see. Too big to fail, too big to jail.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Possible Schadenfreude long term regarding Trump. With all the scrutiny on the Clinton foundation and it showing to be cool and good, a quick glance at Trump shows that he very well may have been using his "charity work" and other organizations to influence policy and push through political favors.

Now normally this would sink anyone, but Trump supporters are stupid as hell and would ignore this, but still. What a bunch of comeuppance if he gets prosecuted.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If he gets prosecuted.

He won't get prosecuted. :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kaiju15 posted:

Yeah, I totally know someone who "passed away due to 9/11"

I survived 9/11.

By virtue of not being anywhere near the WTC/Pentagon/field in Pennsylvania.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jastiger posted:

Possible Schadenfreude long term regarding Trump. With all the scrutiny on the Clinton foundation and it showing to be cool and good, a quick glance at Trump shows that he very well may have been using his "charity work" and other organizations to influence policy and push through political favors.

Now normally this would sink anyone, but Trump supporters are stupid as hell and would ignore this, but still. What a bunch of comeuppance if he gets prosecuted.

Earlier, on that very page....

Gorson posted:

"prosecuting them would negatively their business" which is the most blatant confirmation of rich/white privilege you will ever see. Too big to fail, too big to jail.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kaiju15 posted:

Yeah, I totally know someone who "passed away due to 9/11"

Yeah, they fell off the watchtower.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Saw this posted in gbs, thought it was appropriate for this thread.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think my favorite part is even the bird outside getting scared and flying off.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, they fell off the watchtower.

Jet fuel can melt bones if you don't thank mr skeltal

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/773490551333134336

(it's worth looking at the preceding tweets in that conversation.)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aerdan posted:

It gets better.

quote:

People who spend enough time on Twitter know that eventually, if they stick around long enough, hundreds of strangers will yell at them for fun. It’s the bargain you make when you sign up! And yet I have to acknowledge that I never expected my humiliation would come at the hands of a popular brand of dictionary.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gounads posted:

You haven't talked to Walmart when it comes to unions.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

All that navelgazing (it's like a thousand words of "ok haha you got me . . . but did you really??") and he still missed that they were mocking not just a bad metaphor, but an egregious overuse of "feel." What a bum

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Platystemon posted:

I survived 9/11.

By virtue of not being anywhere near the WTC/Pentagon/field in Pennsylvania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSMSbFV_q0

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Aerdan posted:

The OED just lost a reader.:golfclap:

(Jk. They don't have enough about the etymology on their site)

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

That's a lot of words for "im not owned im not owned"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Astrobastard posted:

I also love the "the last guy was poo poo but this guy was great and got everything sorted" 1/5

Imagine this exact system. But for video games service. Think about that demographic and how absolutely hosed that would be hahahahahah! Schadenfreude is on me this time :(

Know what makes video game reviews even better? Some services, like Steam, let you change your feedback. So, say a developer like Wild Card. Guys who made ARK, a fairly popular and fun game people liked, make a lovely choice and release some dumb DLC for an early access game? Nerds get mad and the game goes from overwhelmingly positive to mostly negative in like a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ro5s posted:

That's a lot of words for "im not owned im not owned"

Yeah, for all his saying it doesn't bother him, I think it really bothers him.