Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Ometeotl posted:

Case 2, Investigation Day 1: Okay, I give up, where am I supposed to dust this drat coffin for prints? I found one hand print on the top that "doesn't belong to anyone involved with the case" and no others. I feel like I've dusted every inch of this stupid thing, but...

The front part of the coffin, top left near the edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

So fun tip for everyone: don't try to play any fingerprinting sections while riding a bus. The mic will keep picking up the noise of the bus' movement and trigger the "blow off dust" animation, making it impossible to rotate the camera. :v:

In related news, in case 2, where am I supposed to find prints on the magic coffin exterior ? This section is being a pain to actually play.

Dad Jokes fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 10, 2016

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Rakugo really didn't seem weird to me at all by comparison. Just explaining it as "japanese comedy act" would have been completely fine, probably. You don't really need to know any finer point of it to solve the case or anything. Was there like a whole plot reference with the case I was missing or something?

Yeah, not knowing what it is shouldn't affect the actual gameplay at all. It's just that the entire case is such a lovely homage to all sorts of minute aspects of Rakugo theater, both in the dialogue and in the graphics, that it's a shame so much is likely lost on most people playing the game. And if they stripped the dialogue of referential jokes, even westerners who are knowledgable about the subject might not get all the original has to offer.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

AlphaKretin posted:

On one of the front-top-side edges, where someone would hold it to take the front off

Aaaand there it is, thank you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How did it take ten games for Ace Attorney to do a twins twist? (Case 2)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It didn't? It was a thing in at least one case in the original trilogy, and probably two.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean... they did a different one in the second game.

...And the third.

E: Well Ini and Mimi weren't twins just sisters. The Hawthorne sisters were though.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 10, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

OH gently caress

THAT'S RIGHT

Shiiiiit.

Also Nahyuta is a good prosecutor. He's a cool dude, so you can kinda respect him, but he's also a real smarmy piece of poo poo and it's really awesome to see him squirm.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The moment the doors to the courthouse opened for Case 3 and I saw Nick and Maya, side by side, I laughed because these Khura'inist kooks can bring it all on, Divination Seance, DC Act, whatever - they're about to get their poo poo pushed in old-school turnabout style!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I can never remember his last name. Maybe I'll start calling him Prosecutor Smdh. :v:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

E: Well Ini and Mimi weren't twins just sisters. The Hawthorne sisters were though.

Coincidentally, one of the twins in the new game is called Mimi in Japanese (the other one's called Kiki).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

OK I finished case 2. Aside from the thing I complained about earlier it was pretty good.

I called the twins twist as soon as they talked about how mysterious her teleportation trick was, and how different her personality seemed. But then I figured that was too ridiculous and they already had that twist in the third game, and just figured she was two-faced. But then it actually came up and go figure, I was right. I also called Retinz being Mr. Reus when Trucy pointed out his disappearing camera was a high level magic trick, but again I thought it was a little too absurd but once again, the game proved me wrong and I was actually right. The reverse fingerprints was a good final bit of evidence, a nice detail that kind of went under the radar until it finally mattered, I liked that. Overall a solid case. All the lawyer and defendant hate is getting old though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

The hardest part of Case 2 for me was presenting the clipboard when you press Retinz, I assumed it wouldn't work because you couldn't connect it to him. I did try the contract though, so that pissed me off when I finally selected the clipboard and Apollo starts talking about the loving contract I'd tried before.

This also pissed me off.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I remember hearing that Case 3 is BAD and AWFUL and STUPID IN A NOT FUN WAY

I'm on day 2 (is this a spoiler) and I think it's fine so far. Am I broke brained or is this case really that bad or what. Only problem I'm having with it as a concept is I'm kind of over Maya being framed. Like she feels like a free "obviously innocent" card at this point so they don't have to design a new NPC for a case. She's actually starting to feel like she's just a standard plot device honestly.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

As an aside to everything, the idea of specifically Apollo being involved in increasingly more difficult to localize japanese culture cases is really funny to me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question on a name pun in Case 3

Is Datz pun "That's our boy" or "That's horrible" It's kind of bugging me for no real reason.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Episode 3 done

The saddest tournabout :smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 3, Trial Day 1: I'm pretty sure that An'ohn Ihmus is the Khura'in version of John Doe

Lol these goddamn Khura'inese pun names

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Regy Rusty posted:

Lol these goddamn Khura'inese pun names

High Priest Tahrust Inmee and his wife, Belee'be

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Revisualization was such a small thing for DD to add, but it really really does add SO MUCH to that final turnabout.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Revisualization was such a small thing for DD to add, but it really really does add SO MUCH to that final turnabout.

Thought Route is probably the best single mechanic AA has ever added. It's so good.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

These punny names never stop do they?

Also wow at the Judge having some spine in this one? At least when it comes dealing a literal teenaged girl, so maybe down the line he'll go back to normal?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Thought Route is probably the best single mechanic AA has ever added. It's so good.

It really is. I got worried during the first case but when it popped back up looking better I got real happy.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This game is such an improvement on Dual Destinies it's almost embarrassing. God drat it's good. Gone is the hand holding and the linear investigations, and the cases so far are fantastic.

Even the music is better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Apollo, I don't think you meant to word that the way you did, but you said it and now I'm already shipping Betty and Trucy. (Case 2 end)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question on a name pun in Case 3

Is Datz pun "That's our boy" or "That's horrible" It's kind of bugging me for no real reason.
"That's a rebel", I'm pretty sure. It's as subtle as most of the other Khurainese name puns.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Waffleman_ posted:

OH gently caress

THAT'S RIGHT

Shiiiiit.

Also Nahyuta is a good prosecutor. He's a cool dude, so you can kinda respect him, but he's also a real smarmy piece of poo poo and it's really awesome to see him squirm.

"Your voice is as loud as your suit."

And that was the exact moment I fell in love with his character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like Apollo a lot. My shocking law boy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I really was impressed how DD and SoJ basically turned me around on Apollo a lot. It really helps that he gets to like actually be his own character and Athena is a really good assistant for him.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Case 5 first investigation: How can there possibly be a building this tall in Kurain

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I really was impressed how DD and SoJ basically turned me around on Apollo a lot. It really helps that he gets to like actually be his own character and Athena is a really good assistant for him.

To be honest he and Athena make a way better pair than him and Trucy. I do like Trucy but I think she's always been MORE wacky than helpful and works better as just another character than someone to help and bounce thoughts off of in trial.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Apollo is the best of the trio, TBH. I also like how he's the first to defeat both Blackquill and Nahyuta in court, with Phoenix being wholly absent in both instances.

Also, I'm in Case 2's trial and Bonnie and Betty are too adorable for words. :kimchi: I guess that means Robert Downey Jr. (no, I didn't bother learning his real name) is the murderer, though, and that sucks.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 10, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haifisch posted:

"That's a rebel", I'm pretty sure. It's as subtle as most of the other Khurainese name puns.

Ihm Amhu'rin.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Seriously, why is (late Case 2 spoilers) the pair of twins so cute? I've taken Miiverse screenshots of drat near all of their animations at this point. :stare:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I feel like the Japanese writers finally beat the localization team in Case 4. That may be the single most Japanese thing in the series and it was just overwhelming.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Case 3 Trial 2 Holy poo poo Inmee's name has one hell of a double meaning :stare:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Man the puzzle in case 5 was a bitch and a half. If someone gets stuck on it:

The one you're not getting right is the third row. Remember that the sections can be set to show two halves of a picture.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Man the puzzle in case 5 was a bitch and a half. If someone gets stuck on it:

The one you're not getting right is the third row. Remember that the sections can be set to show two halves of a picture.

Yeah, that one threw me off for a while. It's kind of a weird trick I think.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, day 1 of Case 3 ends so weirdly.Nahyuta proves the Defence's original assertion that Inmee is a rebel but nobody mentions that this just strengthens Phoenix's case. Like, sure it eventually turns out to make Maya's guilt even more damning but that's only after a guilty verdict's already been handed out. It's like the writers somehow forgot they hadn't shown Inmee being a rebel was bad for Phoenix's argument yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Man, holy poo poo. (early spoiler for case 3 day 1): they made a bollywood version of the steel samurai. this game owns so much.