Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Sankis posted:

Is there a way to only call as many ships as you need? Playing as a Pisa patrician calling 90 ships to transport 2500 troops basically instantly bankrupts me.

If they're your own ships, use your vassal's ships since they're free. If you don't have vassals with ships try raising the ships by right clicking on each individual city/bishopric/castle and raising them there instead of the military tab. You should get smaller units, I haven't messed around with ships too much lately though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Sankis posted:

Is there a way to only call as many ships as you need? Playing as a Pisa patrician calling 90 ships to transport 2500 troops basically instantly bankrupts me.

Odobenidae posted:

If they're your own ships, use your vassal's ships since they're free. If you don't have vassals with ships try raising the ships by right clicking on each individual city/bishopric/castle and raising them there instead of the military tab. You should get smaller units, I haven't messed around with ships too much lately though.
That will work if you have those smaller units. At the very start, a patrician might only have what the family estate provides, which comes as one big unit. If that's the position you're in, you'll just have to suck it up and try to use your transports as minimally as possible (i.e. transport and disband)

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Hm. When I was trying Ireland out earlier, I could change my realm laws every five years, but playing in the east (where you start with absolute ruler/no council power) it's every ten years. Is getting to change your realm laws more often a perk of having an empowered council, or is this because of some other factor?

Yep. Law changes are every 10 years with absolutism, 5 years otherwise.

Sankis posted:

Only summon ships from individual holdings? Split stacks and dismiss the ones you don't need?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
So I haven't played a republic in the better part of two years, anyone have any tips? Gotta get dem 'cheevs.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lol if you try to grab land from Revolts.

Seriously man that's not conclaves fault you just gambled and lost

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Various Meat Products posted:

Yep. Law changes are every 10 years with absolutism, 5 years otherwise.

Figured. Thanks.

Unrelated, it's kind of hilarious whenever a Zoroastrian family converts to Islam due to holy wars and their family crest becomes their map icon, because it's usually something like a Faravahar or another obviously-Zoroastrian thing for the now-Sunni realm.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Just wanna say I gave up on CK2 after Rajas killed performance years ago but after Reapers Due the game is running absolutely amazingly smooth, so for anyone on the fence I can say you should def buy it. I have everything running except for Sunset Invasion & Conclave (gently caress councils/losing education ability) and the game feels perfect.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Conclave is cool.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Conclave is great

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Conclave is poo poo. :smug:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

8bitlawd posted:

Just wanna say I gave up on CK2 after Rajas killed performance years ago but after Reapers Due the game is running absolutely amazingly smooth, so for anyone on the fence I can say you should def buy it.

The performance improvements are actually from the free patch that came along with the expansion. But buy Reaper's anyway because Way-of-Life levels of chaos except now with dubious medical practices is even more hilarious.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Is it just me or are revolts becoming insane? How are 2 dukes and a few counts fielding 14K troops.

Also the Byzantines went and started the Jihading era by capturing Jerusalem in 960. Thanks guys.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 10, 2016

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Is it just me or are revolts becoming insane? How are 2 dukes and a few counts fielding 14K troops.

Its a bit tiresome anyway. Like they aren't that hard to deal with if your demense is pretty close together so you can quickly stack and then gently caress up the smaller ai stacks but like too often at the start of a new ruler its ugh, they're going to revolt or I'm going to sit around for 2 years waiting for the council members to not be discontent. If there were some way to make them not discontent with every new ruler if you make some kind of investment that would be worth a lot. In some ways the best thing to happen on death is some foreign religion trying to invade.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
I want to pick this game up, but I see the total package is 150 with all the dlc. Is that typical?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Conclave is good for roleplaying and emergent shenanigans (also making your life even more miserable), very bad for minmaxing and map painting.

As such, the community is split. I like it for immersion and difficulty, but I hate that my council cockblocks me at every turn and my councilors are (mostly) no more 20-statted avatars of perfection but regular lovely guys

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
A lot of it is purely cosmetic (new faces and unit models). Fall sales should be upon us soon if you want to get all the DLC content but don't want to empty your wallet.

TorakFade posted:

Conclave is good for roleplaying and emergent shenanigans (also making your life even more miserable), very bad for minmaxing and map painting.

As such, the community is split. I like it for immersion and difficulty, but I hate that my council cockblocks me at every turn and my councilors are (mostly) no more 20-statted avatars of perfection but regular lovely guys

You're inevitably making your most powerful vassals into councilors since they seem to think that being a duke entitles them to join my inner circle. Having high legality should let me more easily get away with appointing nobodies with high stats to the council. Medieval England employed salaried people like Reeves to serve the King's interest but weren't powerful enough to start trouble themselves.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 10, 2016

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
My solution to conclave is to keep as many of my vassal dukes as possible...children. As soon as they come of age, I murder them. Unless they are actually good at something then I might let them spawn some kids.

Kids don't rebel.

Either that or I just kidnap all of them and keep them in my dungeons forever.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

f1av0r posted:

I want to pick this game up, but I see the total package is 150 with all the dlc. Is that typical?

You can just buy the base game and decide if you like it before buying dlc. You can easily get 100-200 hours from that which when on sale at a tenner is pretty decent entertainment to money value. The dlc is mostly good but its only worth your time if you enjoy the base game.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

f1av0r posted:

Paradox stuff goes on sale all the drat time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

f1av0r posted:

Agreeing with the "Just buy the base game" suggestion. The DLC are for if you want to add more to your gameplay, but the base game should be enough to let you know if you like the game or not; none of the DLC drastically change the base game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, I am annoyed. I was doing pretty well, was managing to take over Khiva starting from Bukhara in 769 (turns out the Bajanids are much easier to start under than the Abbasids), got my independence, and was holy warring an independent splinter from the Bajanids that was Mazdaki, who had a single county from Samarkand, with me having two others, and a peasant revolt from the Bajanids having the last one. I managed to win the war easily, enforced my demands, and suddenly was defending against three wars with the enemy armies already on top of me. Somehow, I guess the holy wars that were targeting my victim transferred to me after I won or something, and since all three armies were clustered I lost the battle. Thankfully it only gave 15% war score to one of them, but it's still really annoying, especially since just surrendering to one would lose me three provinces, not one, since they're targeting the duchy of Samarkand, not the county I took.

Is there any way to fix this? While any one of these losers wouldn't be so bad, three at once after dealing with a war, plus that bullshit first attack, is going to be a hassle, and this really shouldn't have happened; I never got war declarations against me or anything, I just suddenly had three wars against me.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 10, 2016

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, what mods would all of you recommend? Outside of total conversion mods, I mean.

I'm just using Ruler Designer Unlocker and a font mod right now.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

You can also have Sunset Invasion active and turn it off with the game rules from the new update too, if you own it but don't want Aztecs showing up in your game. Keeps the notice about new content being available from showing up in the main menu, which is nice.

How do you turn it off? I updated to the latest version but don't see a way to do it.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

When you click "Play" or start or whatever the final button was a screen pops up with a bunch of selections.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

When you click "Play" or start or whatever the final button was a screen pops up with a bunch of selections.

Ah, I guess it's only for new games.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Parallax Scroll posted:

How do you turn it off? I updated to the latest version but don't see a way to do it.

It's an option when you make a new game, yeah. You can have the Sunset Invasion come at a random time, at the 13th century or later, or not at all.

Also, I "solved" my earlier problem. Taids holy warred me for Khiva (i.e. all my land that wasn't in Samarkand), so I wound up surrendering Samarkand to the peasants who already had a province there, beat up the Taids and happened to catch their leader, forced them to surrender, then beat up the two Taid vassals who had holy warred me (them capturing the stuff in one of my Samarkand provinces means their wars didn't end when I surrendered to the peasants as I wound up still holding the stuff they had captured, which turned out to be the entirety of that Samarkand province) until they both white peaced out. Then took the entirety of Samarkand back from the peasants. Now I need to decide what to do next, because while I want to bite back into the Taids and take Merv from them, the Abbasids are huge now and I'm worried they'll jump in. Though Zunbil's still independent, so they might go for that instead.

They're seriously massive, though; they have all of Persia (the kingdom) except Khorasan and Azerbaijin, all of Baluchistan, and a bit of Dihistan, and are also eating far down into Abyssinia in the west, plus all their usual territory between those extremes. I hope the current caliph dies soon and they have a massive crisis or something, because otherwise they're going to eat everything.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 10, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
so the second when i convert to Andalusian and there are still a few Catholics about on the peninsula can this just play on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7cTg_OkNuE

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So, does anybody know when Crusader Kings will be somewhat stable/feature complete? Everytime I'm itching to start it up, there is a patch/expansion announcement that makes me wait. I know I should just do it, but still, like to wait till its more-or-less 'done'.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Kalenden posted:

So, does anybody know when Crusader Kings will be somewhat stable/feature complete? Everytime I'm itching to start it up, there is a patch/expansion announcement that makes me wait. I know I should just do it, but still, like to wait till its more-or-less 'done'.

Just play it. By the time the expansions have finished ck3 will be coming.

It's stable and done after every expansion or at least after the first post expansion patch.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

A lot of it is purely cosmetic (new faces and unit models). Fall sales should be upon us soon if you want to get all the DLC content but don't want to empty your wallet.

You're inevitably making your most powerful vassals into councilors since they seem to think that being a duke entitles them to join my inner circle. Having high legality should let me more easily get away with appointing nobodies with high stats to the council. Medieval England employed salaried people like Reeves to serve the King's interest but weren't powerful enough to start trouble themselves.

In England, powerful dukes rebelling against the crown was a thing that could believably happen until, maybe, sometime in the reign of Eliz I? Maybe until Cromwell. By the civil war, the conflict has moved on and the question for the aristocracy is how to keep the entire hierarchy from falling apart.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalenden posted:

It's very stable now. Feature-complete, last I heard there were two or three more major DLC things coming down the line, maybe? No idea what they're going to be, though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Will in Elizabethan England how the crown kept the nobility in check was simply by going round to their houses and making them throw big parties and putting up the royal court.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Since when do holy orders cost nothing in maintenance if you vassal them? Is there any reason to ever disband my Jomsvikings? I suppose they wont go back to full strength if raised?
Even if they won't fight same religion enemies (Is this even still true). Just the boost in troop count is enough to discourage most factions. And raiding is a lot more profitable.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 10, 2016

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Don't they only fight religious enemies? I remember at one point seeing my stack of like 30k turning into 20k when engaging because the holy order decided they weren't going to fight other Christians but this was patches and patches ago.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

BenRGamer posted:

So, what mods would all of you recommend? Outside of total conversion mods, I mean.

Seconding this, but I'd like to know everybody's opinions on the big non-fantasy mods also (which is better right now, CK+ or HIP?).

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Goofballs posted:

Don't they only fight religious enemies? I remember at one point seeing my stack of like 30k turning into 20k when engaging because the holy order decided they weren't going to fight other Christians but this was patches and patches ago.

Sorry, edited that in a moment after posting it. Still, totally free armies.
Army costs on the whole seem wonky. Mercs seem to cost about two - three times the maintenance your own levies take. Vassal mercs take about halve and untaxable.

Also the plague doesn't gently caress around. Had a genius heir ready and was about to set aside all concubines to not spoil it with a younger brother. One was pregnant. Twins. Now, I thought I could maybe throw a few dice, open the gates for a bit and hope the Black Death would take care of it for me. My ruler was immune because when he got it from the court physician in isolation said physician cut off his face and cured him. The good man died right afterwards.
Little did I know that you can't go back in isolation immediately after opening the gates. All my immediate family died in short order.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Kalenden posted:

It's been stable for quite a long time now. There's no such thing as feature complete.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I never shut the gates because I just assumed there was a masque of the red death event. Is there such a thing?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

BenRGamer posted:

Sulla posted:

Seconding this, but I'd like to know everybody's opinions on the big non-fantasy mods also (which is better right now, CK+ or HIP?).

I'm fairly new to mods but so far I use:

Heir Traits - Adds a trait icon to a character indicating if they are the heir to a title, and the rank of that title. So when scrolling down a list of characters you can see which ones are for example the heir to a duchy.
Invitation Traits - Adds a trait icon that's supposed to indicate if someone is likely to accept invitations to court. It's not especially accurate, but it can help a bit with skimming character lists.
Better Looking Garbs - Portrait mod. Makes the characters look different and I'm still getting used to it.
Patrum Scuta - Adds more and better looking coats of arms to the game. Looks great.

None of these modify any of the actual gameplay, but those first two mods aren't Ironman compatible I guess since they add new character traits.

• Locked thread